Great Stirup Cay Virgin - Suggestions?

Clay Clayton

Getting ready to book Sun for next October and it includes a top at Great Stirup Cay. Haven't ever made a stop there before - only private island we have visited is Royal Carribean so not sure what to expect here. I know that GSC is undergoing a makeover but would love to hear any suggestions from folks who have been there before.

Thanks!

Just had my first visit there a few weeks ago on the Jewel and heard all the stories about there not being enough chaise lounges.

They indicated that tender tickets were going to be handed out at 9:30ish (the exact timing in the daily). Went down at 9:10 and they were already handing out tickets so go early if the routine on the Jewel is followed.

We were tender #4 and there were plenty of chaises left. We didn't hear of anyone complaining that it was a waste of time going over since they seem to have already added quite a bit of extra area to put lounges and are still actively adding more beach are behind the volleyball courts.

It was very nice because you didn't have to pay for your beach chairs like on some private islands and nobody was trying to sell any trinkets on the beach besides the usual NCL bar staff. The barbecue was standard private island, but they did have some NicK shows for the kids and had the pool band their later.

Didn't realize that RCCLs Coco Cay is right next door since they had a ship almost right next to us.

All in all a very relaxing beach day and surprisingly easy to get a seat (at least on our day).

we went on one of the first tenders over to GSC (first week in December)-unscheduled stop-seems alot of people stayed on the ship-

MISTAKE...WONDERFUL DAY!!!

pick of ANY of the chairs even during the day there were still plenty around. hubby went snorkling and had a GREAT time...the water was a bit cool at first but once you got use to it...i just spent the day playin the sand:DGREAT Beach Day-lookin forward to the changes that will have taken place when we go back in December.

I was on the Jewel in June and Oct, we stopped at GSC both times. I wanted a Cabana in June but did not act quickly, they sold out quick.

Being Oct the weather will be cooler but you may want a Cabana. If so go to the desk early and rent one.

As the others said they did not have an issue getting a chair but still.

Just had my first visit there a few weeks ago on the Jewel and heard all the stories about there not being enough chaise lounges.

They indicated that tender tickets were going to be handed out at 9:30ish (the exact timing in the daily). Went down at 9:10 and they were already handing out tickets so go early if the routine on the Jewel is followed.

We were tender #4 and there were plenty of chaises left. We didn't hear of anyone complaining that it was a waste of time going over since they seem to have already added quite a bit of extra area to put lounges and are still actively adding more beach are behind the volleyball courts.

It was very nice because you didn't have to pay for your beach chairs like on some private islands and nobody was trying to sell any trinkets on the beach besides the usual NCL bar staff. The barbecue was standard private island, but they did have some NicK shows for the kids and had the pool band their later.

Didn't realize that RCCLs Coco Cay is right next door since they had a ship almost right next to us.

All in all a very relaxing beach day and surprisingly easy to get a seat (at least on our day).

Getting ready to book Sun for next October and it includes a top at Great Stirup Cay. Haven't ever made a stop there before - only private island we have visited is Royal Carribean so not sure what to expect here. I know that GSC is undergoing a makeover but would love to hear any suggestions from folks who have been there before.

Thanks!

I was at GSC in August on the Sky and November on the Pearl. If it is available, do the wave runner excursion. It was the bomb! They show you a safety video, suit you up and take you in a group of about twelve, 100ft apart around the island. They canceled my wave runner in November because the seas were just too rough, I hope that doesn't happen to you. There were plenty of chairs both in August and November. The tender was a pain, I was number 13 and didn't get there until noon. If you have little ones, the Hippo slide is pretty cool.

GSCChairs.jpg

November GSC

DSCF1295.jpg

August GSC

DSCF1294.jpg

August GSC

DSCF1293.jpg

August GSC

VID0002200112-16.jpg

Hippo Slide GSC

Untitled00010-05.jpg

November

CCruiseDude

Thanks for the info and pictures. Is the cabana the blue shade thing? Or do they have actual cabanas, which I would consider to be a little tent or building that would hold two or four people and could be enclosed for privacy.

I was at GSC in August on the Sky and November on the Pearl. If it is available, do the wave runner excursion. It was the bomb! They show you a safety video, suit you up and take you in a group of about twelve, 100ft apart around the island. They canceled my wave runner in November because the seas were just too rough, I hope that doesn't happen to you. There were plenty of chairs both in August and November. The tender was a pain, I was number 13 and didn't get there until noon. If you have little ones, the Hippo slide is pretty cool.

GSCChairs.jpg

November GSC

DSCF1295.jpg

August GSC

DSCF1294.jpg

August GSC

DSCF1293.jpg

August GSC

VID0002200112-16.jpg

Hippo Slide GSC

Untitled00010-05.jpg

November

Great Pictures! Just curious...what made Jet skiing at GSC "the bomb". I love to jet ski but it has been a while. Did you have to follow the guide along in a line or did you really get to have some fun?

Will be in GSC in June (hopefully providiing work stuff works out) and would love to do this! Would love to hear about your or anyone else's experiences!

Thanks,

Coffeecat

PS I love GSC...so much fun

Great Pictures! Just curious...what made Jet skiing at GSC "the bomb". I love to jet ski but it has been a while. Did you have to follow the guide along in a line or did you really get to have some fun?

Will be in GSC in June (hopefully providiing work stuff works out) and would love to do this! Would love to hear about your or anyone else's experiences!

Thanks,

Coffeecat

PS I love GSC...so much fun

It was my first time on a wave runner (the larger craft not the small jet ski). There is a guide in the lead, middle and rear of the group. I was surprised how fast we were moving. My speedometer was reading 35 - 40 just to keep up with the group. You had to cruise at 25 just to keep control of the craft. We went to an island and stopped the runner, turned them off. We got a lecture of the island's history. Started up again moved to another area, stopped again and were invited to get off into the water and were shown sea shells with creatures living in them. Climbed back on and returned to the base. I look forward to doing this again.:D:D

Only suggestion I can make is to be mindful of the kamikaze seagulls. If you leave your food unattended for a fraction of a second it will be gone (and if you look away from your plate the seagulls treat that as unattended). I've seen them take food off of plates being carried to the table so using another plate to cover your plate is a good idea. I look forward to going back in October so I can see the changes myself.

I found it worth it to reserve a clamshell ahead of time - you will be able to get on the first tender, and they really provide a lot of shade. For kids doing the hipposlide -if yoy have a wristband, use the slide early - there's no line in the morning, but a big one in the afternoon (at least whe we were there - lots of kids onboard).

Clay,

I am not aware of any cabanas/bungalows/cabins at Great Stirrup Cay. I believe only the clamshell things are available.

There may be plans to build some with the renovation but I am not sure. Half Moon Cay and Princess Cay have air conditioned bungalows.

I like snorkeling at GSC and bring my own equipment as well as a vest (purchased online for $8). You can rent the equipment from NCL. If you bring your own but not a vest, NCL makes you rent a vest for $5.

A band will play. Typical BBQ food. Nice bar right at the tendering spot.

We booked this as an excursion on ncl.com way before the cruise.

When we got to our cabin, our tickets for tender #1 :D ( yes first one's to leave ship :p ) were right there.

So first on GSK, lots of choices for chairs, no line up to exchange vouchers at snorkel kiosk.

If you get in line late for tickets for the tender you could end up arriving on the island at noon :eek:

Beautiful place don't wanna miss it !

p.s. If you don't wanna stress about your 25$ ugly ship towel being stolen, bring a cheap one from Walmart ( thats what we will do on our next visit to GSK )

Have fun

I found it worth it to reserve a clamshell ahead of time - you will be able to get on the first tender, and they really provide a lot of shade. For kids doing the hipposlide -if yoy have a wristband, use the slide early - there's no line in the morning, but a big one in the afternoon (at least whe we were there - lots of kids onboard).

Do you reserve on the ship or via the website ahead of time?

we didn't stress out about getting to the island first. I woke up about when the ship docked, and then we had room service breakfast then got ready and prob got off the ship by 10:30 am. There were plenty of seats left, and we didn't have to wait in line for any tender tickets, just went down and boarded the tender, when it was full, it took off. I think the tender went back and forth continually. I hate lines, so we just slept in and got ready when we wanted to and every day just walked off the ship with no lines about 10-11am

DW and I were not particularly impressed with GSC. Were we to take another NCL cruise with that as a stop we'd probably stay on board ship Just MHO.

There was a very noticeable improvement on the island from April 2009 when we first went to our second visit in April 2010, so I would suggest that if you have the chance you at least check it out. If it isn't to your liking you can catch the next tender back.

On our 2nd visit to GSC we did the Kayak excursion and it was AMAZING! We had such a great time and the tour guides were wonderful. DH did all the paddling and I was able to use our camcorder to record the fun and check out all the fun creature's in the ocean. Before we did our excursion we grabbed two loungers and left our stuff there and spent about 2 hours in the ocean. We swam over to the rocky area and saw tons of crabs and other fun stuff. We then relaxed in our loungers and enjoyed a bucket of beers. This cruise was our 4 day Bahama and this day was our favorite of the trip. The tender trip back was a fun one for sure! The wind had picked up and it was more like an amusment park ride. It was one wild experience! :D

There was a very noticeable improvement on the island from April 2009 when we first went to our second visit in April 2010, so I would suggest that if you have the chance you at least check it out. If it isn't to your liking you can catch the next tender back.

Point well taken. Its been a few years since we were there. I'm happy to hear that NCL has improved it.

Archived