Weather conditions in NY - Jan 13

Salacia

Hello. For those of us that will be in NY this week, especially 13 Jan, the weather conditions might of some importance. The local NY weather boffins are currently reporting that we might have snow; forecasted amounts vary. I'm starting this thread in the hope that it might be of some help in keeping each other updated as to the latest information.

Regards,

Salacia

Quoted from http://www.weather.com/newscenter/stormwatch/

"Tuesday, a separate storm producing snow in the Midwest and the storm heading up the East Coast will begin to merge. Snow will develop across the Mid-Atlantic. The storm will rapidly strengthen as it heads from off the Mid-Atlantic Coast to off the New England coast Tuesday night and Wednesday. Heavy wind-driven snow is possible across eastern New York and New England with some foot or greater accumulations possible"

Is it written in English? I only understood one word in four. Technical or what.

Lots of the words are hyperlinks to definitions in their glossary - that page is as close to the raw data as any page that I have been able to find.

Their 'point' forecast has less jargon, and is rather like the forecast summary from Accuweather or Weather Underground.

If you trust weather.com (they're better in the near-term forecast than they are a week or more out), the NYC forecast is for snow Weds AM but only partly cloudy on Thursday. Deciphering the NWS narrative says the same thing - worst case is 6-12 inches Tuesday night/Weds AM but then it's over.

Is it written in English? I only understood one word in four. Technical or what.

Hi

What it is saying (in their English), is yes, there will be snow Tuesday night into Wednesday.

On the radio they announced that it will stop during Wednesday night and possible accumulations of 6 to 12 inches.

If the storm stays on track, it should not be a problem driving to the pier in Manhattan on Thursday.

Unfortuneately it will be extremely cold at the sailaway. However, the diehards (us included ) will go on deck to watch the festivities. It was a fabulous send off in 2008 and I'm sure this one will be as great.

In 2008 there was quite a bit of publicity the weekend before, I haven't seen any thing in the newspapers and no mention on the news.

No matter, we are looking forward to a great sailaway!

Lorraine:)

Unfortuneately it will be extremely cold at the sailaway. However, the diehards (us included ) will go on deck to watch the festivities. It was a fabulous send off in 2008 and I'm sure this one will be as great.

If memory serves me correctly it started sleeting just as the fireworks started. Yes, it was cold on the Water Taxi but it was worth it. Our captian took off for the Verrazano-Narrows bridge once the fireworks were over so we could see the three Queens off at the bridge. Not all the Water Taxis went there, I hope we have the same one.

Hi,

We're watching the weather closely as well. We're in Michigan and booked to fly to Chicago and on to NY on the 12th, allowing ourselves one day leeway. We too have our fingers crossed but are proceeding as planned. Best of luck.

Snow in New York is expected to start Tuesday evening with heavy snow overnight.

Is there any chance that you could get out on Tuesday? The airlines will usually allow you to make a change for free. A friend was suppsoed to fly from Boston to London on the day of the blizzard after Christmas and even though she booked through Orbitz, British Airways dealt with her directly and she was able to get on an earlier flight.

Hi,

We're watching the weather closely as well. We're in Michigan and booked to fly to Chicago and on to NY on the 12th, allowing ourselves one day leeway. We too have our fingers crossed but are proceeding as planned. Best of luck.

I'm flying to JFK (from LAX) on the 12th as well...scheduled to arrive late night, so hopefully there won't be any canceled flights. If so, there is always the option of meeting the ship in Ft. Lauderdale on the 15th. Would hate to miss the meeting of the 3 Queens (was also there in January, 2008 aboard the Queen Victoria), but one way or another, will get to the ship!

I'm flying to JFK (from LAX) on the 12th as well...scheduled to arrive late night, so hopefully there won't be any canceled flights. If so, there is always the option of meeting the ship in Ft. Lauderdale on the 15th. Would hate to miss the meeting of the 3 Queens (was also there in January, 2008 aboard the Queen Victoria), but one way or another, will get to the ship!

Seriously, see if you can switch to a flight that gets in earlier in the day!

Once flights are canceleld everything is thrown into turmoil and there may not be seats available on flights to Ft. Lauderdale. The Christmas storm had people stranded for days all over the country. A coworker was stuck in Belize for three days because they could not get the family back and another in San Francisco for almost a week. Another friend in North Carolina for the holidays eventually gave up on getting a flight and took Amtrak home.

Seriously, see if you can switch to a flight that gets in earlier in the day!

Once flights are canceleld everything is thrown into turmoil and there may not be seats available on flights to Ft. Lauderdale. The Christmas storm had people stranded for days all over the country. A coworker was stuck in Belize for three days because they could not get the family back and another in San Francisco for almost a week. Another friend in North Carolina for the holidays eventually gave up on getting a flight and took Amtrak home.

I don't know -- from the weather reports, it would seem to be more likely that, if flights are canceled, it would be the earlier ones...since the snowfall in NYC is projected to taper off after the morning and move north to Boston in the afternoon. I am flying Virgin America and they have non-stop flights from LA to Ft Lauderdale, which I could catch on either the 13th or 14th and meet the ship there on the 15th. I think, for the moment, I will just wait and keep an eye on the weather forecasts.

I don't know -- from the weather reports, it would seem to be more likely that, if flights are canceled, it would be the earlier ones...since the snowfall in NYC is projected to taper off after the morning and move north to Boston in the afternoon. I am flying Virgin America and they have non-stop flights from LA to Ft Lauderdale, which I could catch on either the 13th or 14th and meet the ship there on the 15th. I think, for the moment, I will just wait and keep an eye on the weather forecasts.

I should have said fly in early on Tuesday the 11th.

The airlines may cancel flights in advance of a storm to prevent having too much equipment on the ground at an affected airport. That snowballs into other cancelled flights possible all over the country with equipment and crew being in the wrong place.

I should have said fly in early on Tuesday the 11th.

The airlines may cancel flights in advance of a storm to prevent having too much equipment on the ground at an affected airport. That snowballs into other cancelled flights possible all over the country with equipment and crew being in the wrong place.

I think I should be on my way to the airport now, if I really want to avoid the bad weather approaching NYC!! From what I understand, the storm is due Tuesday night, so leaving LA tomorrow morning would be no guarantee....and, in any event, is simply not possible for me.

If things look really bad by tomorrow night, I may just go ahead and book a flight to Miami/Ft. Lauderdale with a 24 hour hold on the reservation. There are tons of flights from LA to the Miami area, so not too concerned about that...if I have to go with plan B.

If memory serves me correctly it started sleeting just as the fireworks started. Yes, it was cold on the Water Taxi but it was worth it. Our captian took off for the Verrazano-Narrows bridge once the fireworks were over so we could see the three Queens off at the bridge. Not all the Water Taxis went there, I hope we have the same one.

I need to find you and follow you to the right water taxi!! I DEFINITELY hope we get one that takes us to see the Queens off on their trip under the bridge. That would be VERY cool.

I just booked passage on the July 1st trip on the Queen Mary 2 - my first time ever on one of the Queens... so it'll be really fun seeing her up close on Thursday, to get me excited about the upcoming trip.

Hello. For those of us that will be in NY this week, especially 13 Jan, the weather conditions might of some importance. The local NY weather boffins are currently reporting that we might have snow; forecasted amounts vary. I'm starting this thread in the hope that it might be of some help in keeping each other updated as to the latest information.

Regards,

Salacia

The accumulation appears to be 6-12". If the city does a better job cleaning up after this one, then things should be ok for Thur. The storm should end Wed. by noon at the latest.

Thay are still waiting for passports to be returned from ZVS with their visas - were supposed to arrive ar their home today. Thanks to the major snowfall in northern ALlast night ...who knows when they will get them - roads still closed. Delta's northeast storm policy allowed a change at no fee (they were scheduled to go to NYC Wednesday) - I switched them to go to Ft Lauderdale on Friday & meet-up with the ship Saturday. No fee to change tickets and Delta actually issued them a voucher toward future travel. Called Cunard to advise them of their new embarkation date/location. So all is well....we hope!

I need to find you and follow you to the right water taxi!! I DEFINITELY hope we get one that takes us to see the Queens off on their trip under the bridge. That would be VERY cool.

It was pure luck of the draw! I will be the tall guy in a big beige parka (dress warm!) and will be with my partner who is Chinese. :) (He may be in a bright orange coat)

Local forecast in NY has changed...snow now estimated to be 9 to 13 inches on the ground by 2pm Wednesday.

Winter Storm Warning at 3:42 am EST:

A WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING TO 6 PM EST WEDNESDAY.

* LOCATIONS... NEW YORK CITY... AND NORTHEAST NEW JERSEY.

* HAZARDS... SNOW... HEAVY AT TIMES.

* ACCUMULATIONS... 8 TO 14 INCHES... WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS POSSIBLE.

copied from http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory?id=12593130

January 11, 2011 (AP)

Widespread flight cancelations are moving from the

Deep South into the Northeast and Great Lakes as a

big winter storm threatens to dump a foot of snow or

more on New York and Boston.

Travelers kept checking departure boards to learn the

fate of their flights, and airlines eased ticket-change

rules to encourage fliers to delay trips until later in

the week.

By mid-afternoon Tuesday, Delta Air Lines had

canceled 1,700 flights, many in Atlanta, and American

had scrubbed 500 flights, including more than 100

in Chicago. Many evening flights to the Northeast

were also cut.

It was pure luck of the draw! I will be the tall guy in a big beige parka (dress warm!) and will be with my partner who is Chinese. :) (He may be in a bright orange coat)

I'll look for you guys. I'll be the guy in the black coat wearing the stylish harry potter inspired scarf (yes I've been to Universal lately... froze my hind section off and fell sucker to buying a 50 dollar scarf to keep warm that day... and found that I really like the scarf - but at least I bought the blue and grey Ravenclaw one, and not the Gryffindor)...

It's nice to know I'm not the only gay guy who loves the Queens on this board... I hope when I sail with my Dad in July I won't be the only gay guy on board the ship!!

I'll look for you guys. I'll be the guy in the black coat wearing the stylish harry potter inspired scarf (yes I've been to Universal lately... froze my hind section off and fell sucker to buying a 50 dollar scarf to keep warm that day... and found that I really like the scarf - but at least I bought the blue and grey Ravenclaw one, and not the Gryffindor)...

Will keep an eye out for the scarf!

It's nice to know I'm not the only gay guy who loves the Queens on this board... I hope when I sail with my Dad in July I won't be the only gay guy on board the ship!!

Hardly! The Commodore Club is the place to hang out. :D

Archived