Enchantment and a few thoughts

Euphemus

I just got off of Enchantment of the Seas after the 12 day New Year's cruise.

While perhaps not a traditional review...the following is meant to touch on themes and threads that have been discussed over the last few months:

--For those of you who are members of the Society for the Preservation of the Washcloth, you'll be happy to hear that the washcloth is *not* extinct on Enchantment (well...at least not on deck 7 port side).

--The Department for Main Dining Room Dress Code Security will be dismayed to know that 'trousers of the denim persuasion' were allowed at dinner (at least in MTD) on all nights of the cruise (formal to casual). Please note, I do *NOT* have a horse in this race, I'm merely a reporter. Don't flame the messenger. I dress for my pleasure and generally follow the dress code for my own reasons. I don't care what others wear, up to a point.

Which brings me to an observation about the dress code:

1) some people who DO NOT follow the dress code to the letter of the law look fabulous. Indeed, one of the better-dressed people I saw wore jeans to dinner and looked like a fashion magazine ad.

2) some people (I'm going to get flamed for this) who DO wear dress code...don't look so good. I'm not suggesting that everyone needs to buy a whole new wardrobe for a cruise (I don't...usually the most I buy is new white t-shirts)...but there are a few dress-code-approved outfits out there that...well...let's just say that Tim Gunn might utter the words: "That concerns me." Remember that I said that there are only a few of these, but they are attention getting, more so than some denim here and there.

This falls into two camps:

--Ladies of a certain age wearing outfits that do not...how to say this delicately... compliment the line of their bodies. Please note that I'm not suggesting that everyone must be thin and lithe to be good-looking. I think that you need to work with what the Good Lord gave you. Not to put too fine a point on it but a small number of astonishing outfits did made me think: "Does this woman not have girlfriends who will tell her that the expiration date on this outfit has come and gone?" Again, high fashion is not required and you certainly won't see it from me...but the thing must at least remotely cover you without too much strain. Ultimately, I suppose "to each his own"...if they are comfortable, so be it. My only point is that these outfits were more attention grabbing than jeans (and not in a good way).

--Young, perhaps underage, girls wearing dresses and skirts that leave little to the imagination because they are so short. Such outfits are problematic from so many stand points but let's just consider the wind, alone: There were several times when I was acutely afraid that a young woman's good family china was going to be exposed for all to see should a wayward breeze blow the wrong way. I'm no prude either but the too short skirt thing must fall out of fashion soon or we're all going to being seeing more than we bargained for. I did note that young women in such outfits spent most of the evening tugging at their hems to keep them down in a sure sign that they were uncomfortable.

Lest you all think I'm a letch, please note: I'm gay. If *I* noticed, there's a problem.

Enough about dress code...

--The International Federation of Ill-Mannered Theater Goers was apparently having their annual convention onboard. I have NEVER seen so many people who confused Theater with Sporting Event. Really people: if you come to the show, a few rules:

1) Be on time. And if you can't make it before the show starts, please stay to the back. DO NOT saunter down the aisle in the middle of an act and smoosh your way into the first row. At least wait until the end of a song.

2) If you do take up residence in the first rows, stay until the end. DO NOT get up in the middle of an act and decamp taking your whole family with you. Rude.

If you think you might be iffy on liking something or have an early dinner reservation, sit on the aisle near the back so that you can go with relative anonymity.

Oh, and in case anyone's keeping track: there were no reported cases of starfish in anyone's shower.

That is all. Carry on.

Thank you Euphemus, that's very interesting to hear. I'm cruising on Enchantment of the Seas in six weeks :D and have been investigating how RCI's dress code differs from NCL's.

I'm off to seek your member review now - with your lovely turn of phrase you've just got to submit! - but I want to point out that you did not mention whether you enjoyed your cruise. Hope you did!

I just got off this cruise as well. We were a party of 6 and had a blast! With that said we did notice that a tremendous amount of kids (under 18) on board. I suppose that was to be expected for that time of the year but it was noticeable. No problems with me but other pax I talked to grew tired of the kids by the end.

No major incidents to report although apparently 5 people were tossed from the ship for fighting. One lady was taken off in St Thomas for being sick. There were a lot of people suffering from colds.

We had the 6PM seating and had great tablemates! Made great friends. Our family did not sit together so we could mix and mingle with new friends easier. We did notice that the dress code slackened in the dining room but was not terrible. I wore nice jeans once - and only once - on the last night mainly because we had packed up. I had a tux and wife wore an evening gown on the formal nights - business casual the other nights.

We did notice ALOT of international passengers. From alot of different places. Alot of Canadians and alot of French Canadians as well.

Service was generally excellent all around. We had good cabin stewards, excellent table waiters and most everyone else. Wife did not like the port and shopping person and got her $30 back from guest services.

The captain was a hoot and Carly the cruise director was great!

Overall we had a very very good cruise.

Thank you Euphemus, that's very interesting to hear. I'm cruising on Enchantment of the Seas in six weeks :D and have been investigating how RCI's dress code differs from NCL's.

I'm off to seek your member review now - with your lovely turn of phrase you've just got to submit! - but I want to point out that you did not mention whether you enjoyed your cruise. Hope you did!

I have only been on 1 NCL cruise, but given their laid-back approach and Freestyle Dining I think the dress code is more slack. People still dress up but tuxes were rare on NCL. Of the cruise lines I have taken - I would say that in order of dressiness overall I would say:

CUNARD

HAL

ROYAL

CARNIVAL

NCL

We also just returned from the 12 day NYE cruise on Enchantment and had a wonderful time.

We had a wonderful cabin attendant that kept us well stocked with wash cloths........at least 4 per day!!

We did see many folks in jeans and shirts............but when the suggested dress said "casual" for that evening.........I guess that's what people refer to as casual. Had no problem with this.

Loved the new design of the WJ and had no problem finding a seat for breakfast or lunch.........once you figured out the "right" time to show up.

I was disappointed in the D/D+ breakfast on Deck 5 in the MDR. Service/attitude was not what we have experienced on other ships.

With that said we did notice that a tremendous amount of kids (under 18) on board. I suppose that was to be expected for that time of the year but it was noticeable. No problems with me but other pax I talked to grew tired of the kids by the end.

Just curious . . . were the kids misbehaving or causing trouble in some way, or did the other passengers simply grow tired of having a large number of children on their cruise? If the former, I sympathize. But if the latter, I would suggest to those folks that a cruise taken at a time when schools are in session might be more to their liking.

While perhaps not a traditional review...the following is meant to touch on themes and threads that have been discussed over the last few months:

--For those of you who are members of the Society for the Preservation of the Washcloth, you'll be happy to hear that the washcloth is *not* extinct on Enchantment (well...at least not on deck 7 port side).

--The Department for Main Dining Room Dress Code Security will be dismayed to know that 'trousers of the denim persuasion' were allowed at dinner (at least in MTD) on all nights of the cruise (formal to casual). Please note, I do *NOT* have a horse in this race, I'm merely a reporter. Don't flame the messenger. I dress for my pleasure and generally follow the dress code for my own reasons. I don't care what others wear, up to a point.

1) some people who DO NOT follow the dress code to the letter of the law look fabulous. Indeed, one of the better-dressed people I saw wore jeans to dinner and looked like a fashion magazine ad.

2) some people (I'm going to get flamed for this) who DO wear dress code...don't look so good. I'm not suggesting that everyone needs to buy a whole new wardrobe for a cruise (I don't...usually the most I buy is new white t-shirts)...but there are a few dress-code-approved outfits out there that...well...let's just say that Tim Gunn might utter the words: "That concerns me." Remember that I said that there are only a few of these, but they are attention getting, more so than some denim here and there.

--Ladies of a certain age wearing outfits that do not...how to say this delicately... compliment the line of their bodies. Please note that I'm not suggesting that everyone must be thin and lithe to be good-looking. I think that you need to work with what the Good Lord gave you. Not to put too fine a point on it but a small number of astonishing outfits did made me think: "Does this woman not have girlfriends who will tell her that the expiration date on this outfit has come and gone?" Again, high fashion is not required and you certainly won't see it from me...but the thing must at least remotely cover you without too much strain. Ultimately, I suppose "to each his own"...if they are comfortable, so be it. My only point is that these outfits were more attention grabbing than jeans (and not in a good way).

--Young, perhaps underage, girls wearing dresses and skirts that leave little to the imagination because they are so short. Such outfits are problematic from so many stand points but let's just consider the wind, alone: There were several times when I was acutely afraid that a young woman's good family china was going to be exposed for all to see should a wayward breeze blow the wrong way. I'm no prude either but the too short skirt thing must fall out of fashion soon or we're all going to being seeing more than we bargained for. I did note that young women in such outfits spent most of the evening tugging at their hems to keep them down in a sure sign that they were uncomfortable.

Lest you all think I'm a letch, please note: I'm gay. If *I* noticed, there's a problem.

--The International Federation of Ill-Mannered Theater Goers was apparently having their annual convention onboard. I have NEVER seen so many people who confused Theater with Sporting Event. Really people: if you come to the show, a few rules:

1) Be on time. And if you can't make it before the show starts, please stay to the back. DO NOT saunter down the aisle in the middle of an act and smoosh your way into the first row. At least wait until the end of a song.

2) If you do take up residence in the first rows, stay until the end. DO NOT get up in the middle of an act and decamp taking your whole family with you. Rude.

If you think you might be iffy on liking something or have an early dinner reservation, sit on the aisle near the back so that you can go with relative anonymity.

Oh, and in case anyone's keeping track: there were no reported cases of starfish in anyone's shower.

That is all. Carry on.

Enjoyed the review.

Am curious, however, as to why you would expect people who ignore "suggested attire" to an event (dinner) to suddenly become considerate of others while attending another event (show).

When the "all about me" is accepted behavior in one venue it is only reasonable to expect the same attitudes across the board. :)

I was also on this cruise and it was a great time. Enchantment was in excellent shape, and the crew and staff were wonderful.

I was also surprised at the number of children on the cruise. Hot tubs were frequently full of children. The kids were WAY out of control at the table behind us at dinner, and parental correction was no where to be found. I eventually said something to them as they were running in circles around our table during dinner.

That said, and ignoring the very rude pax that RCL has nothing to do with, I'd do this cruise again in a heartbeat!

really enjoyed your review!

We will be sailing the end of February and it will be the first time on this ship so we are really excited :)

Not trying to hijack but....just curious,

cruisenfever,

just how bad was the D/D+ breakfast experience?

First time on Explorer it was wonderful but the last time (this past August) on the same ship it was like night and day. We are not demanding or PIAs but the wait staff was just miserable and if you did ask them for something they were close to being rude. I asked for a mimosa one morning and you would have thought I was asking for the world.....

Thanks,

Laine

I bet you can do a mean Tim Gunn impression, lol! About those dresses....no, girlfriends won't tell you that the size 10 formal that you tried to squeeze your size 14 can in is getting ready to explode. Please put a shawl around those arms, every time the ship moves, they slap your tablemate. I'm sure glad you are showing that much saggy old cleavage, we are so in awe. Please stop bending over. Please.

ps....just because you CAN wear it doesn't mean you SHOULD wear it. And if seeing it once isn't bad enough, please remove your pictures in the gallery! (tee hee)

I feel so much better now

No major incidents to report although apparently 5 people were tossed from the ship for fighting.

While not wanting to start rumors, I might have seen (but did not partake) in some portion of this. On the second sea day (Day 3) there was some sort of kerfuffle in the Solarium that involved no less than 3 blue shirts and 2 white shirts from RCL and a passle of young men and women. The interchange seemed tense although, as nosy as I am, I could not get the gist of what was going on...God knows I tried. :) I absolutely needed to get in the hot tub *right then*...right next to where this was all happening. Alas, with the din in the crowded Solarium and the sound of the hot tub jets...no dice.

Although there were quite a number of passengers on board, I did not see these people again during the next 12 days.

I don't know if this is related...

we were on the enchantment 12 day in december and enjoyed it. we were disappointed that they cancelled our excursion to jost van dyke, but other than that, it was a great cruise.

we liked the D/D+ breakfast so much that we made a point of going there. maybe the atmosphere varies by the staff assigned to work there. Our waiter was there and was very attentive to us.

and we also had travellers removed, one was a party of 2 sons (their parents remained onboard) and we heard the otheres were members of a wedding party.

That is all. Carry on.

Euphemus, I LOVE YOU. Best post ever. I just regret that I can't get Cruise Critic at work, and had to wait until now to read it.

Did you just love Carly? I do.

How was the entertainment? Production shows, headliners, comedians? PLEASE tell me that they didn't subject you to any jugglers or magicians.

Did you try the bungee trampoline? ;)

I just got off this cruise as well. We were a party of 6 and had a blast! With that said we did notice that a tremendous amount of kids (under 18) on board. I suppose that was to be expected for that time of the year but it was noticeable. No problems with me but other pax I talked to grew tired of the kids by the end.

No major incidents to report although apparently 5 people were tossed from the ship for fighting. One lady was taken off in St Thomas for being sick. There were a lot of people suffering from colds.

We had the 6PM seating and had great tablemates! Made great friends. Our family did not sit together so we could mix and mingle with new friends easier. We did notice that the dress code slackened in the dining room but was not terrible. I wore nice jeans once - and only once - on the last night mainly because we had packed up. I had a tux and wife wore an evening gown on the formal nights - business casual the other nights.

We did notice ALOT of international passengers. From alot of different places. Alot of Canadians and alot of French Canadians as well.

Service was generally excellent all around. We had good cabin stewards, excellent table waiters and most everyone else. Wife did not like the port and shopping person and got her $30 back from guest services.

The captain was a hoot and Carly the cruise director was great!

Overall we had a very very good cruise.

Would you please explain this?

Are you referring to the coupon book? If so, are you saying that the cost has increased from $25 to $30?

Did you just love Carly? I do.

How was the entertainment? Production shows, headliners, comedians? PLEASE tell me that they didn't subject you to any jugglers or magicians.

Did you try the bungee trampoline? ;)

Merion Mom, thanks for the shout out. :)

I do love Carly which is rare for me since I usually do not notice the Cruise Director that much. I *love* her accent which made me all gooey inside. I'm still laughing about how she said "What's your lady's name?" during Quest...you had to be there but the way she drew it out with that Welsh-Scottish-Canadian-French accent of hers was hysterical. Anyone who has been to Quest will know the part I'm talking about. For those that have never been to Quest, I could tell you more, but then I'd have to kill you. ;)

For the most part, the entertainment was good. We hadn't seen these production shows and we enjoyed them. As for magicians and jugglers: please, it was a 12 day cruise...you don't think they got by without a magician AND a juggler, do you?

The juggler was technically quite good and I found his schtick funny, although some tricks I had seen before. But enough with the laser lights in the fog already.

The magician was good, too, although for some odd reason he reminded me of Mr. Rogers. Something about his speech pattern. Somewhat disconcerting while he chopped the nice lady in half.

The WORST was the euphemistically named "vocal impressionist" otherwise known as a ventriloquist. There's no doubt that he also had great technical skills and managed several bits of back and forth conversation with the dummy spectacularly. Too bad he wasn't funny. At all. And the dummy weirded me out.

People literally left in DROVES from the theater during his performance. It almost looked like a flash mob: 2 entire rows would get up at once and walk out as if on cue. Despite what I said earlier, this was a moment to vote with your feet. We left half way through when I realized it wasn't going to get any better. Before everyone jumps all over me: we sat on the aisle in the back. :) This was the worst thing I have seen on a cruise ship.

I actually might have done the trampoline but, alas, it was broken the entire cruise. I think that my back is grateful for that.

Speaking of Quest, this was the first time I've seen it in a lounge. Studio B is a better venue for this but not all ships have them, so...better than nothing.

and we also had travellers removed, one was a party of 2 sons (their parents remained onboard) and we heard the otheres were members of a wedding party.

I was on the same cruise, I believe, Dec 6th sailing. My father spent alot of time 'listening' at guest services and chatting with his fellow smokers on the pool deck or Viking Crrown Lounge. He heard there was a total of 21 people asked to leave the boat. With 2100 passengers, it seemed like quite a few. The 1st was a woman who had brought her toy dog on board and her room attendant found it in the room. The 2 brothers who were fighting in room and ended up punching security when they came to the room (mentioned above). The couple that had way too much to drink in the casino and kept telling everyone at the tables how they would play each game...2 nights in a row...even after they were banned from the casino.

can't remember the others

I did note that young women in such outfits spent most of the evening tugging at their hems to keep them down in a sure sign that they were uncomfortable.

What I can't stand is those who chose to wear strapless tops and then spend the whole evening tugging them UP to keep the girls covered.

(Loved your post :) ) Am sailing the Enchantment in June. Can't wait!

Rachel

--Young, perhaps underage, girls wearing dresses and skirts. I was acutely afraid that a young woman's good family china was going to be exposed for all to see should a wayward breeze blow the wrong way.

OK I darn near snorted my water right out my nose at this one! :D What a great and delicate way to phrase this one! haha :D:D

I was on the same cruise, I believe, Dec 6th sailing. My father spent alot of time 'listening' at guest services and chatting with his fellow smokers on the pool deck or Viking Crrown Lounge. He heard there was a total of 21 people asked to leave the boat. With 2100 passengers, it seemed like quite a few. The 1st was a woman who had brought her toy dog on board and her room attendant found it in the room. The 2 brothers who were fighting in room and ended up punching security when they came to the room (mentioned above). The couple that had way too much to drink in the casino and kept telling everyone at the tables how they would play each game...2 nights in a row...even after they were banned from the casino.

can't remember the others

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Archived