Food off ship in ports

kimaj3

People have done it, but you're not allowed to and could have it confiscated. Especially with fruits, meats, etc., it can be a hazard to the area you're visiting. We always bring pre-packaged snacks, granola or cereal bars, etc. (Though we've also never had a problem eating local food in any of the foriegn ports we've been to).

Best,

Mia

Agreed. It's a customs/agricultural issue. That's not to say that people haven't gotten away with sneaking off an apple, but it's a government rule, not just the cruise lines being snarky. It makes me wonder though if you can take off packaged, sealed food from the ship such as the little boxes of cereal to snack on.

Agreed. It's a customs/agricultural issue. That's not to say that people haven't gotten away with sneaking off an apple, but it's a government rule, not just the cruise lines being snarky. It makes me wonder though if you can take off packaged, sealed food from the ship such as the little boxes of cereal to snack on.

Pre-packaged items (think individual cereal boxes, granola bars, etc) are fine to take off the ship. Items such as fruit, bread, meats are restricted due to the local agricultural concerns. Every area has their own 'bugs/diseases' that exist there. By bringing items off the ship that were not grown or produced there you can be impacting the local environment.

We have always found the local cuisine to be fine. We have picky kids and they find things to eat and surprisingly have tried some things we were surprised at. They have actually found a few they liked that they didn't think they would. Just think about what you are ordering and you wil be fine. If you really don't want to take a chance, bring the pre-packaged, unopened stuff with you.

if you do a ship's excursions..the food will be fine. we did NCL's tour to lamanai, the food that was served was good. the drinks were bottled water or sodas.

usually, you will see warnings...in the ship's newsletter...that says no food is allowed off the ship. they might word it as "no fruit, vegetables, meats or breads".

the tourist village, where the tenders dock, is very tourist friendly. several bars and restaurants to choose from.

Does anyone know if you are allowed to take ship food with you when you get off at the ports...we are going to belize and don't really want to eat local food???

They will make announcements that taking food off the ship is illegal. They were especially strict in Belize and Progreso. The cruise director kept making the announcement every 5 minutes. There were local Customs officials, with dogs, on the dock, checking bags.

Factory sealed items are OK, but definitely not fruit, dairy or meat items. They have these agricultural laws for the same reasons why the US have similar laws.

I have a quick question about taking dairy off the ship. We will be traveling with our 16 month granddaughter, would we be able to take some milk for her off the ship? I am not wanting to take any chances with buying local milk in port and she won't nap without her milk.

They will make announcements that taking food off the ship is illegal. They were especially strict in Belize and Progreso. The cruise director kept making the announcement every 5 minutes. There were local Customs officials, with dogs, on the dock, checking bags.

Factory sealed items are OK, but definitely not fruit, dairy or meat items. They have these agricultural laws for the same reasons why the US have similar laws.

I have a quick question about taking dairy off the ship. We will be traveling with our 16 month granddaughter, would we be able to take some milk for her off the ship? I am not wanting to take any chances with buying local milk in port and she won't nap without her milk.

What do you think would be wrong with "local" milk?

Well, I don't drink the water when I get off the ship, so I am not going to use milk based on the same premise that it could have different bacteria than what my granddaughters tummy would be used to. I have no idea what countries pastuerize and homogonize the milk they sell. The last thing I need on vacation is a toddler with an upset stomach.

When we docked overnight in Cairo, I brought the individual Horizon organic single serve milks that don't need to be refrigerated (though I did it to avoid room service breakfast charges, not because I didn't trust the hotel milk, which in tourist hotels/restaurants would be fine).

Best,

Mia

Well, I don't drink the water when I get off the ship, so I am not going to use milk based on the same premise that it could have different bacteria than what my granddaughters tummy would be used to. I have no idea what countries pastuerize and homogonize the milk they sell. The last thing I need on vacation is a toddler with an upset stomach.

No dairy means no dairy. Why would they make an exception since it's an agricultural issue?

These aren't arbitrary rules. There are reasons for them and we need to follow them.

I would not buy milk in a port, either. Not sure what to suggest as a substitute! How old is she? Maybe she would drink those chocolate milk yoohoos? They're in the juice box aisle, so I guess they don't need to be kept cold.

Kerrys Girls and Sarahcd thanks for the suggestions. I am going to look for something like that and try it before we go.

For those of you that feel the need to be smart about it, I was asking about bringing milk for a BABIES BOTTLE. This is the family board and I am shocked by the attitude. TSA makes an exception for babies and the amount of liquid you can bring on board a plane, I was just asking if other countries allowed any exceptions. If they say no exceptions then she will have to nap without her bottle or we will spend our time on the ship.

Kerrys Girls and Sarahcd thanks for the suggestions. I am going to look for something like that and try it before we go.

For those of you that feel the need to be smart about it, I was asking about bringing milk for a BABIES BOTTLE. This is the family board and I am shocked by the attitude. TSA makes an exception for babies and the amount of liquid you can bring on board a plane, I was just asking if other countries allowed any exceptions. If they say no exceptions then she will have to nap without her bottle or we will spend our time on the ship.

TSA rules are very different from local agricultural laws. No exceptions made for those laws, sorry. I remember a time when I was living in Arizona where there were agricultural stations at the state lines where they would check your vehicle for a lot of items, and take anything that violated the state's agricultural laws. I know that Hawaii has their own laws, which are very strict and no exceptions are made.

YMMV, as others have said the regulations versus practice are very different.

They do x-ray your stuff coming on but have NEVER been searched going off the ship or in port as I get off the ship.

Having traveled with children I've taken packaged food ( cereal ), even buffet food ( muffins, bagels etc. ) and of course bottled stuff like water off.

You should have little trouble taking a bite to eat. I've never actually been in a port that I felt the food offerings were umm unfit for consumption but I'm adventurous too :D

Does anyone know if you are allowed to take ship food with you when you get off at the ports...we are going to belize and don't really want to eat local food???

I don't think asking valid questions, or providing you with correct information is being "smart about it". I looked at your ports of call for your cruise that's in your sig. and you shouldn't have any problem finding "safe" milk anywhere you stop if that's your choice, IME. I know what the rules are, but in practice, doubt anyone is going to look twice at a baby's bottle if there's milk in it, if you take it off the ship. I also don't think milk in a baby bottle is going to contaminate another county. Agricultural inspectors may think differently, YMMV.

On another note, and I am not being "smart", I hope your granddaughter is not being put down for a nap at 16 months with a bottle filled with milk. Very, very bad for her teeth.

Have a great cruise.

What about powdered milk that can be mixed with a bottle of water? I know years ago you used to be able to get that, not sure about now. I do know they have powdered formulas so why not milk?

Ditto everyone else about the ag. laws.

Heres what Im thinking regarding the milk issue. Shes 16 months old, and trust me, my daughter is nearly 2, I get that having a tired, cranky toddler that wants what they want and nothing else isnt fun for anyone, but she doesnt NEED the milk. Can you try sippy of water? Im assuming shes drinking from a sippy, but if shes using a bottle still, maybe water in the bottle would work, since Im (again) assuming its a comfort thing with sucking from the bottle and not so much the actual contents of it. Anyhow, I think the powdered milk packets are a great idea if thats what you need and water wont cut it. You could even do those packets of formula worst come to worst. I do agree that its prob not great for her teeth to be falling asleep drinking anything, let alone milk, (one fo the first things they teach you in parenting classes) but thats really none of our business, now is it ;)

Also, in my personal experience, kids will pass out easier while out and about on vaca than at home ;) My daughter was still nursing to sleep last year when we brought her on her first cruise, and she passed out every single day 2 times a day (and she was down to only 1 nap a day at that point) with no nursing, just cruising around in the umbrella stroller. So, hopefully you can get away with the water, if not, powder packets. good luck!

Here is a link to a decent deal on the toddler formula

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=148784&aid=337953&aparam=enfagrow_premium_toddler&CAWELAID=61283097

Wow, this site kills me! Ask for some advice and get all kinds of attitude...

My folks drink powdered milk ALL the time, I know you can get it. IMO it tastes nasty!

1). I booked a private excursion that told me to bring a box lunch from the ship.

2.) I have read a suggestion, on this site, that suggests ordering a sandwich in the morning (so it's nice & fresh) to take with you. The author stated that it is not allowed but no one checks when you leave the ship only when you return.

I have not done it so I have no experience but I am going to ask more at my M&G when I am onboard.

Sorry that my question hijacked the original thread.

I only asked because my daughter-in-law is freaking out over taking the cruise with the baby being so young. I made the mistake of asking for a copy of the dailies from someone who had taken this same cruise and shared them with her. She nearly had a full blown panic attack about not being able to take milk off the ship. Savanah drinks out of her sippy cup and has since she was 6 months old, but when she's tired she wants her baba (better than a nasty pacifier).

I learned when I was the mom and my mother and mother-in-law were the grandparents not to give unsolicited parenting advice and I even though I may bite my tongue, I won't give it unless asked or if I ever think something might cause irreparable harm.

Milk is milk. Dry, fresh or in a tetra pack. Milk is milk IMPO

I think what would be the best option for everyone, is a quick tour off the boat and back on board for lunch and nap.

That way baby is happy, well rested and has her milk for her nap.

Mom or Dad get to see a little of The town/country they are in.

Very true. If I may suggest that your daughter bring toddler tummy meds? It's not just the local milk that could be an issue. Toddler tummies can be affected by many things: Travel stress/fatigue, different water (although the water onboard ships is reverse-osmosis and excellent), new/different foods, schedule changes, etc.

Yes, TSA makes exceptions for bringing things onto the plane. And thank goodness they do. Cranky, tired, hungry babies and toddlers aren't fun for anyone. But TSA does not control what you can take off the plane in another country or even another state. I know it might seem similar, but the safety concerns are completely different. TSA is looking for security of passenger safety; agricultural laws are for protecting ecosystems and agriculture.

You will want to check the regulations on your specific ports. On most, milk will not be allowed off the ship, so the plan you've mentioned will be the most likely situation. However, there are a few ports that do allow certain foods to be brought off the ship. In most cases, the local authority errs on the side of caution and do not allow anything except bottled water, soda, and pre-packaged foods. (As an aside and apropos to nothing except that I think it's interesting, there are countries such as New Zealand and Australia that do not allow pre-packaged snacks of any kind to be brought into the country. They are that strict in order to ensure that their unique ecosystems remain healthy.)

Wow, this site kills me! Ask for some advice and get all kinds of attitude...

My folks drink powdered milk ALL the time, I know you can get it. IMO it tastes nasty!

1).I booked a private excursion that told me to bring a box lunch from the ship.

2.) I have read a suggestion, on this site, that suggests ordering a sandwich in the morning (so it's nice & fresh) to take with you. The author stated that it is not allowed but no one checks when you leave the ship only when you return.

I have not done it so I have no experience but I am going to ask more at my M&G when I am onboard.

Yes it is! My parents gave us non-fat powdered milk all the time when I was growing up. I loathed it and always ordered a huge glass of "real" milk whenever we went out to eat.

Regarding 1: When was this and what port/country? Was it perhaps a country that does allow fresh food to be casually brought in? If not, the local tour guides are absolutely wrong to suggest it. I suppose some don't think about the whys, just the convenience of not having to provide meals for their customers.

Regarding 2: This is the most selfish reason for breaking the law. Yes, it is up to the immigration agents to search for and take care of casual smuggling. But that does not excuse knowingly risking damage to the places we visit. And the "Well, he did it" reason is just as bad.

I have lived through the consequences of that type of casual smuggling. It is often an expensive, time-consuming process to repair the damage. Sometimes, the damage is permanent. IMO, we should respect the places we visit enough to follow their laws. Those laws are put in place for good reasons.

Yes, please do ask at the M&G. The captain will likely tell you that local laws are to be followed. Some passengers will probably tell you proudly how they broke/break the laws.

YMMV, as others have said the regulations versus practice are very different.

They do x-ray your stuff coming on but have NEVER been searched going off the ship or in port as I get off the ship.

Having traveled with children I've taken packaged food ( cereal ), even buffet food ( muffins, bagels etc. ) and of course bottled stuff like water off.

You should have little trouble taking a bite to eat. I've never actually been in a port that I felt the food offerings were umm unfit for consumption but I'm adventurous too :D

I assume that you've only taken food such as bagels off the ship in ports where it's allowed. I truly do not understand why so many seem to think that it is okay to break these laws. Maybe the various countries should start doing physical searches of all passengers. Of course, the time that would take would seriously limit the time passengers could actually be off the ship, but it sounds like that is what it would take to stop some people from smuggling.

beachchick

Regarding 2: This is the most selfish reason for breaking the law. But that does not excuse knowingly risking damage to the places we visit....

beachchick

Thank you for your input, it has made me question my future actions. As someone that enjoys the outdoors I understand the need for rules in regards to the environment. For example, I am required to have a firepan that costs several hundred dollars to raft on some rivers.

To help me understand, please enlighten me about taking food off the ship for consumption on a sailboat that I chartered. The tour company advised me to bring a 'box lunch' from the ship. In the communication, I got the impression this was a common and acceptable practice that the cruise line offered.

Is this a law in place to help create income for the island or is it a health/environmental issue? I am not opposed to that but why would the operator tell me to bring food from the ship? In addition, I am in a similar situation as the OP, I have a youngster that has a selective palate. He will eat PB&J for lunch everyday. I may find one somewhere on the island to take one on the boat.

Thanks for your input!

Archived