Canada Airport Security

world~citizen

Sapper, I don't know if you've been through the Vancouver airport on the way OUT of the country but it's an excellent airport. I went through there on the first day of the Olympics in Feb.2010 and I was through security and customs in 45 minutes. I didn't ever need to get my luggage. They showed me a picture of it I said yes that mine and that's all that was involved. I hope this will spread to all airports in Canada. I understand that it's in place in a few airports in Canada. I would fly into that airport on the way to the US any time.

Wow, that sounds like a big improvement since we were there in June 2009!! Took forever to get thru customs and security, only 2 metal detectors, couldn't get a wheelchair for my 86 year old mom, and barely made our flight. Plus, you couldn't even go thru until 4 hours before flight--really dumb setup. And, we had to reclaim our bags, then drag them 20 feet to another belt--what a mess. Taking a pix seems so much faster, easier, and efficient.

ML

Have to agree with the OP though...these so-called security experts are on some kind of power trip these days and need a quick lesson in human respect.

These people are NOT security professionals. They know nothing about security and are barely rent-a-cops. As an actual security professional, I don't want to be asociated with these refugees from McDonalds:D:)

ML

PS: And i do agree they are on a power trip--they must live pathetic lives to harass so many innocent people for nothing.

Sapper, I don't know if you've been through the Vancouver airport on the way OUT of the country but it's an excellent airport. I went through there on the first day of the Olympics in Feb.2010 and I was through security and customs in 45 minutes. I didn't ever need to get my luggage. They showed me a picture of it I said yes that mine and that's all that was involved. I hope this will spread to all airports in Canada. I understand that it's in place in a few airports in Canada. I would fly into that airport on the way to the US any time.

Our TA says this is the case in Montreal as well now and AC offered to rebook us to Fort Lauderdale in March through there BUT we would have to take the pre dawn flight out of here to do so. We said "thanks" but we'll stick with the 5 hour wait at Pearson. At least it won't matter how long US customs takes.

We tried to buy a pass for the Maple Leaf Lounge at Pearson but were told since we bought our tickets on points we could only have bought the pass at the time of purchase. At that time we had a nice 2 hour connection and didn't need the lounge. Round and round we go!!

Our TA says this is the case in Montreal as well now and AC offered to rebook us to Fort Lauderdale in March through there BUT we would have to take the pre dawn flight out of here to do so. We said "thanks" but we'll stick with the 5 hour wait at Pearson. At least it won't matter how long US customs takes.

We tried to buy a pass for the Maple Leaf Lounge at Pearson but were told since we bought our tickets on points we could only have bought the pass at the time of purchase. At that time we had a nice 2 hour connection and didn't need the lounge. Round and round we go!!

That's good to know about Montreal. Even though it's the longer route back to Calgary from Fort Lauderdale that might be the way to go for me. Thanks for the information. Looks like this thread wasn't just a waste of space after all:D;).

Wow, that sounds like a big improvement since we were there in June 2009!! Took forever to get thru customs and security, only 2 metal detectors, couldn't get a wheelchair for my 86 year old mom, and barely made our flight. Plus, you couldn't even go thru until 4 hours before flight--really dumb setup. And, we had to reclaim our bags, then drag them 20 feet to another belt--what a mess. Taking a pix seems so much faster, easier, and efficient.

ML

Sorry you had such a rough time in Vancouver. Sounds more like a trip through Toronto. I think they had to get it together for the Olympics. The day I went through there must have been one of the best experiences I've ever had.

Many of us have to fly to take a HAL cruise so that makes this thread pertinent.

I disagree; we all take luggage on cruises so should this become a luggage discussion forum as well? Many have home security while we're away so should we also talk about which security company is best? Where does it end? MHO is more HAL, less off topic chatter.

BTW OP's linked case isn't actually even representative of the travel experience as it's one of those extremely rare but unfortunate cases a tiny fraction if any of those on CC are likely to encounter. It can hardly therefore be anything more than off topic security gossip that serves little or no purpose other than to sensationalize.

It seems to be only your opinion though. Why would you bother to read it if you are so uninterested in it? Isn't there something on TV:D;).

Who said I was uninterested in it? Just uninterested in it here. Besides I'm done shovelling. ;)

I disagree; we all take luggage on cruises so should this become a luggage discussion forum as well? Many have home security while we're away so should we also talk about which security company is best? Where does it end? MHO is more HAL, less off topic chatter.

BTW OP's linked case isn't actually even representative of the travel experience as it's one of those extremely rare but unfortunate cases a tiny fraction if any of those on CC are likely to encounter. It can hardly therefore be anything more than off topic security gossip that serves little or no purpose other than to sensationalize.

There have been some interesting luggage threads on this board in the past, as well as informative threads on how to best protect one's home while away.

The story of the lady's problem is a human interest story for a lot of us.

Perhaps if you were to post a list of acceptable topics we could ask to have it made a sticky and we could all refer to it before we make the faux pas of dicussing something unacceptable. :confused: We can all use some guidance now and then:)

It's all funny until you have to deal with it:D:p. Sapper is in the banana belt of Canada. They are -3c right now. I can't remember the last time we saw those temps.

We normally go into a deep freeze right after Christmas but this year we are getting a break. Is the weather an acceptable topic here? Maybe, because if we have bad weather we can't fly through the airports we are not supposed to discuss. ;)

We normally go into a deep freeze right after Christmas but this year we are getting a break. Is the weather an acceptable topic here? Maybe, because if we have bad weather we can't fly through the airports we are not supposed to discuss. ;)

See? Sapper likes shovelling. I don't. Snowed again last night and rumour has it that there is another Nor 'Easter on the way for mid week. hopefully it finds another place to go.

I think weather like airports is a thing to discuss. Just ask anyone who has missed a cruise because the weather shut down the airport. ;)

It's all funny until you have to deal with it:D:p. Sapper is in the banana belt of Canada. They are -3c right now. I can't remember the last time we saw those temps.

Last year, we hardly had a winter, no snow and very very mild through the winter. In our area Quebec city its a tad colder this year but it has not snowed since december 6th, skiing is not the best, they do make snow but its not the same, they have also been making snow for the past few weeks with snow canons for the Carnival,

We see grass everywhere, atlhough its certainly not green yet!!

See? Sapper likes shovelling. I don't. Snowed again last night and rumour has it that there is another Nor 'Easter on the way for mid week. hopefully it finds another place to go.

I think weather like airports is a thing to discuss. Just ask anyone who has missed a cruise because the weather shut down the airport. ;)

Shovelling is one thing I have never been accused of doing-----until now. :D:D

They are -3c right now.

LOL! That struck me as frigid until I did the math and converted it to Fahrenheit. Whew! Much better.

On Sunday night I listen to a radio program out of Toronto. Whenever the announcer gives the temperature, he also gives it in Fahrenheit. He says it sounds so much warmer that way.

I agree!

Last year, we hardly had a winter, no snow and very very mild through the winter. In our area Quebec city its a tad colder this year but it has not snowed since december 6th, skiing is not the best, they do make snow but its not the same, they have also been making snow for the past few weeks with snow canons for the Carnival,

We see grass everywhere, atlhough its certainly not green yet!!

I long for a winter like that. This is the 3rd winter in a row that we've had quite a bit of snow. I have to say however, that the last 2 winters were worse. I haven't seen the brown grass in a long time. It's supposed to get nice for us in a couple days. I'll believe it when I feel it.

LOL! That struck me as frigid until I did the math and converted it to Fahrenheit. Whew! Much better.

On Sunday night I listen to a radio program out of Toronto. Whenever the announcer gives the temperature, he also gives it in Fahrenheit. He says it sounds so much warmer that way.

I agree!

I does sound better when you convert it. We've had one day back in November when we had -40c with the windchill. I think the to are equal at -40. Then people wonder why I like to go away so often:eek:.

That's good to know about Montreal. Even though it's the longer route back to Calgary from Fort Lauderdale that might be the way to go for me. Thanks for the information. Looks like this thread wasn't just a waste of space after all:D;).

Our experience in Montreal was such that we'll avoid the place at all costs. Seems to be a lot of attitude Our last time through they delibretly damaged a rain stick from Columbia out of nothing more than a desire to show us "Westeners" that they had the power. Never again will Montreal airport see us.

Our experience in Montreal was such that we'll avoid the place at all costs. Seems to be a lot of attitude Our last time through they delibretly damaged a rain stick from Columbia out of nothing more than a desire to show us "Westeners" that they had the power. Never again will Montreal airport see us.

Rain sticks are frequently used to smuggle drugs. It's not a westerner thing, I doubt the airport staff cared where you were from.

Archived