Travel docs ?

james j feller

We are going on our first OCEANIA cruise and i was wondering if we get a folder with cruise docs in it and if they also give you baggage tags in the folder ?

I know that some cruise lines, you have to print your own tags.

Thank you

JIM

Yes, you will receive a beautifully personalized booklet with all of your pertinent details as well as pre printed baggage tags.

234322.jpg

Typically this is sent out six weeks ahead.

If you booked through a Travel Agent, they have the option of getting your cruise documents first, so that they can forward them on to you.

Great Name, by the way-

Jim

• 5 months later...

You will retreive your bags from the airline and meet the representative for O at the gate (if you're using their transfer), so you can do either. If you attach it before you leave home at least they have one more way to find you if (God forbid:eek:) your luggage doesn't arrive with you.

Forgive my ignorance - we haven't flown for a long time, but do we affix our ship's baggage tags before we fly to the destination city or after we arrive at the destination city?

After you fly, so that they don't confuse the airport baggage people, or get damaged in transit.

Have a great cruise!

You will retreive your bags from the airline and meet the representative for O at the gate (if you're using their transfer), so you can do either. If you attach it before you leave home at least they have one more way to find you if (God forbid:eek:) your luggage doesn't arrive with you.

The last thing that we put into ANY suitcase that we check with an airline is an itinerary of our trip, along with ALL of the pertinent telephone numbers (including our cell phone #'s) and addresses that might be needed if the suitcase goes missing.

This has saved our necks more than once!

The last thing that we put into ANY suitcase that we check with an airline is an itinerary of our trip, along with ALL of the pertinent telephone numbers (including our cell phone #'s) and addresses that might be needed if the suitcase goes missing.

Exactly!

Pre-cruise hotel, address, phone #, dates of stay plus ship name, port address, date of embarkation plus our name & cell #.

We've had good luck with luggage so far (knock on wood), but just as carrying an umbrella seems to ward off rain, we think this precaution has warded off luggage problems ;)

I use to put the the list in an outside pocket of the suitcase as well as inside.

The new suitcases I bought are hard sided & no pockets had to think of a new idea for the outside ;)

Lyn

P.S. I put the cruise tags on at the hotel (we usually go a day or more early)

I have received some very impressive cruise documentation when will I get the tickets?

You don't receive "tickets." Your individualized cruise brochure is all you will receive. When you arrive for check in, you will go to the appropriate check in desk (they have separate lines for suites, concierge and other passengers), present your passport (which they will keep until the day before you disembark) and a credit card for onboard charges, they will issue you your cabin key/charg card and you're ready to step onboard.

Be sure the luggage tags are on your bags before you arrive at port, so the porters can take your luggage at the curb to deliver to your cabin, and just keep your carry-on, if you need it, until you go to your cabin. Sometimes there is a wait of an hour or two, depending on when you check in, until your cabin is ready for occupancy.

Enjoy your cruise!

I have received some very impressive cruise documentation when will I get the tickets?

You will recieve the cruise booklet 4-6 weeks prior to your cruise

If you Oceania air then you will get the e-ticket about 2 -3wks prior by email

Make sure your email address on file is up to date

Some cases the booklet will go to your TA unless otherwise specified

Lyn

What an excellent idea! Of course we have normal tags on our luggage, but not our itinerary. The airlines lost a major piece of luggage when we went on our Singapore-Sydney cruise on the Nautica. Luckily we had arrived four days early and got that bag the day before we boarded. It was an uncomfortable three days!

My question to you is, where do you put this information? On a tag you make up?

Thanks!

Lani

What an excellent idea! Of course we have normal tags on our luggage, but not our itinerary. The airlines lost a major piece of luggage when we went on our Singapore-Sydney cruise on the Nautica. Luckily we had arrived four days early and got that bag the day before we boarded. It was an uncomfortable three days!

Thanks!

Lani

We put the Itinerary inside the suitcase. When a bag goes awry, the first thing that the Airlines do is open it to see if there are any "clues" as to where it should go.

Air Canada has a form on their website that can be filled in and printed. It includes name, permanent address, home telephone number, cell phone number, temporary address and valid period of the temporary address. I print out the form, then print the full itinerary with dates and ports on the reverse side.

Other airlines may have similar forms, if not just enter the above info in your word processing software and print.

The printed form is then placed inside the locked suitcase. If need be, the airline will open the suitcase to get the info.

Don

We have colored handle covers that have a pocket that let you put a copy of the itinerary in there, I think I found those on the Magellan's site. Dual purpose of also helping us find our suitcases quickly. We also put a copy of the itinerary on the top of the clothes in the suitcase just as we close it. Ship tags we don't put on until we are at our destination, we figure the airlines don't need anything on the suitcases that might confuse them. We always try to fly in at least 1 day ahead of a cruise anyway, for Europe 3-6 days depending on the our land plans for pre-cruise. Found the luggage tags we use, they are here., we just print the itinerary and put it in the flap instead of just the address info.

I purchased, from Magellan, these yellow plastic envelopes that attach to the luggage handle with straps - similar to luggage tags. On the envelop, in multiple languages is printed"Enclosed is my itinerary. Please open and examine if luggage is lost". Haven't seen if they worked - yet- but they seem like a good idea.

I would never put the ship luggage tags on until just before I deliver the luggage to the ship...The things are easily torn off and I've seen the way the airline luggage handlers treat the bags...

I figure that there is enough info on my suitcases for the airlines to locate it if they can...First, I have small metal dog tag-type luggage tags with my name and address...Then, a while back, Oceania sent me some really nice (but fairly heavy) leather and metal luggage tags that I'll put on as well--on the side handle--when I'm cruising with Oceania so, perhaps, they will recognize the bag...

Then, of course, the airlines are computerized by now...Haven't you noticed that the paper tags they affix, which used to be just number-matched to your stubs, now actually have your name printed on them? They have all of your info on their computer and can track you to your home or cell number...

I am reminded of the time I flew to Heathrow...but my luggage didn't show up...After quite a wait, the agent informed me they had located my suitcase..."Great!" I said, "Where is it?" (expecting them to bring it out to me)..."Zurich" came the reply...Yes, I was touring England, but my luggage was vacationing in Switzerland! they told me not to worry, they would bring it to my hotel in London when it arrived...I informed them I was not going to London but would be in Bath the following three days...For three days, I kept expecting my luggage and calling SwissAir...But to no avail...Finally, I informed them that I was leaving Bath and we were heading to Mold, Northern Wales...I gave them all the hotel info there...We would be there one night, then off to Sterling, Scotland...

Well, the following day, we were checking out of the hotel in Mold and a car pulls up in front and a man gets out...running...carrying my suitcase...If he hadn't found me there, he'd be driving to Scotland!

So, the moral of the story is that they CAN find your lost luggage...Getting it to you may be another problem...especially if you are on a cruise ship!

As to copying passports and keeping the copies in your luggage, I have some more helpful hints (that come from experience, believe me):

1) Call your credit card companies and inform them of your planned travels--so they don't interpret the foreign charges as fraud/early warning cases...

2) Carry at least one credit card that your spouse or traveling partner does not carry...and vice versa...If one of you has their wallet or purse stolen, you will have to cancel all of their credit cards and it will be important to have one different one left to rely on...

3) Make copies of all of your credit cards that you carry, front and back, and keep that in your suitcase...If your wallet is stolen, you will have all of the credit card company phone numbers and all of your card numbers handy and will be able to call and cancel quickly...

4) And, yes, a copy of your passport as well...

This comes from experience...In 1993, my wife and I were traveling through France and, in St. Remy d' Provence, she had her purse stolen--passport, credit cards, all of her ID, traveller's checks (we used to use those)...When we got to our hotel in Saint-Raphaël (before the age of cell phones), we were able to cancel all of her credit cards and the bank next door was able to replace the Amex Traveller's Checks (which were somewhat unusable as they were in her name and she had no ID!)...We lived for the remainder of our trip off my one credit card that I carried that she did not...

She did not have a copy of her passport or other ID, so the fun part came when we got to Milan and visited the US Consulate to get her a replacement Passport...She had to go through a lot of "tests" to confirm her identity and convince the Consul that she really was an American...If she had a copy of the stolen passport, it would have been easier...

We also scan everything into our computer/netbook and then send it to ourselves by e-mail as attachments.

That way, as long as we can get to a computer terminal we can show or print the documents. We can also show them on our laptop/netbook.

I know the US says you can not color copy your passports but that is one area we "ignore" the law.

We also put all our travel related e-mails in a folder on our e-mail account so they are easily available.

We also put photo copies of our passports in our luggage. That way whould we need them (in case of loss or theft) we have them in a place other than a purse or on our person.

Enjoy your cruise.

I would not put passport copies in my luggage

what if the luggage goes astray

I put mine on a flash drive (which is on my person) also send it to my yahoo email and save it there.

I remember a couple of years ago a whole truck load of luggage was found in a dumpster ...

:eek:

Lyn

Thanks!

Lani

I put my itinerary in the suitcase as well as in an outside pocket on the case

My new case does not have pockets so I use the handle wrap like NPARMELEE

I got mine on Cruise critic store (double purpose) shows I am a CC member

Archived