Is there something that you collect from every port?

jollyjim

My son and I will be going on our first cruise in a couple weeks (Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, and Nassau) and I would like to start a collection (for each of us) of something that you can find almost everywhere you go. I have heard of people collecting spoons, Christmas ornaments, and shot glasses, but can't really think of anything else. So what's something that you collect that can be found almost anywhere that you travel?

I collect sand from the different beaches. I take ziplock bags, and put about 1/2 cup of sand in each one, and then transfer that sand to jars when I get home. I keep the jars on a shelf in the bathroom. (I am still looking for the perfect jars that aren't too big. Right now they are in pint canning jars.) It is amazing how different sands from different islands are, and even from different beaches on the same island. We have sand that is coal black to soft, powdery yellowish sand. My brother even brought me sand from Waikiki Beach to add to the collection. Silly, but it works for me, and it doesn't cost a thing!

Key rings, fridge magnets, pens, coins, egg cups, postcards, paintings and badges all spring to mind.

Personally, I buy something small that I can hang on a Christmas tree - not necessarily a true Christmas ornament because they are not always available. I label each one with a tiny label on the hanging string with place and date and now have enough to decorate our main tree (collected over 20 years of travelling). The only down side to this is that it takes ages to decorate the tree because we do so much reminiscing but they are wonderful reminders of many happy trips. The great thing is that I the trinkets are light, relatively cheap and take up very little luggage room. Also they don’t clutter our home or need dusting!!!

Have a wonderful first cruise and may it be the start of many for you.

Always Christmas ornaments, but just from ports we hadn't visited before. Now I've taken to hoodies from each port - got enough tee shirts, but in the cold, snowy months in PA, its always nice to cuddle up in my Alaskan hoodies, dreaming about my next return trip (Aug. 5th this year - yahoo!;)) As a matter of fact, today I have my Kodiak Brewing Company hoodie on - sure is warm!

Collecting stuff. Well, you may find it hard to get something common to all ports. You may pick up something that is not approved by customs or immigration? We do not collect. But this is something:

We do not do ship tours, no ship tours. Anything the ship can charge you for, a tour, you can get off the ship and find your own tour. Get 4 or so people, get off, find a driver, he will know what is best to see and it will cost you a fraction of the ship price. Also, if it is raining, you do not go, but on the ship, you forfeit your fee with a late cancel. So, you find a nice driver, you go to some nice place, he knows where to go, you take his picture at the best spot, now you have the item that is unique for your collection. How is that?

My son and I will be going on our first cruise in a couple weeks (Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, and Nassau) and I would like to start a collection (for each of us) of something that you can find almost everywhere you go. I have heard of people collecting spoons, Christmas ornaments, and shot glasses, but can't really think of anything else. So what's something that you collect that can be found almost anywhere that you travel?

My friend's kids collect key rings, so I always buy a key ring from every port.

I haven't cruised before, but had a nice land vacation this past summer. Everyone was buying trinkets and t-shirts, while I was busy snapping photos (I think I took over 2000 photos for a 10-day trip :o). My souvenirs of choice are photos and memories, although I DO like the idea of Xmas tree decorations.

(Assateague Island Princess...would love to chat with you about Alaska, as I am trying to plan a trip for next summer..and we are from the same area. Unable to send you a message on here...my email is Libby1209@live.com. Thanks! ~ Little Miss S)

We wanted to start collecting something "useful" and not a dust collector so we started collecting pens or pencils. We have not had a problem finding one or two anywhere we've been. We have them in a mug right next to the phone so when we're taking a phone message we use one of the pens and get to briefly remember the great trip we took to that spot.

I collect sand from the different beaches. I take ziplock bags, and put about 1/2 cup of sand in each one, and then transfer that sand to jars when I get home. I keep the jars on a shelf in the bathroom. (I am still looking for the perfect jars that aren't too big. Right now they are in pint canning jars.) It is amazing how different sands from different islands are, and even from different beaches on the same island. We have sand that is coal black to soft, powdery yellowish sand. My brother even brought me sand from Waikiki Beach to add to the collection. Silly, but it works for me, and it doesn't cost a thing!

I also collect sand. I found small glass spice jars that cost about $1 each at a kitchen and bed store. They work great for my sand collection.

I'm a magnet collector. I had a problem though when we renovated our kitchen. We bought stainless steel appliances and the magnets were tacky looking. So now they are in a box. :( I might have to switch to postcards...

But I'll still buy magnests as gifts for other people (who don't have stainless steel refrigeraters lol)

I also collect sand. I found small glass spice jars that cost about $1 each at a kitchen and bed store. They work great for my sand collection.

Sounds perfect! My jars are really too big, but haven't found the right jars yet. I am going to look for those! Thanks!

This is our first cruise as a family, though I have been on a small girls cruise before. We each choose a Christmas ornament on every vacation and it really makes tree decorating fun, we all love it. I even have some of the ones from when I was a child, I think that my parents started it because it kept down the price of souvenirs and we would spend any shopping time trying to find the perfect ornament.

Archived