Oasis, The Chef's Table with a 3 and 6 year old.

DawnCt

Dear cruising Greek,

Just to clarify ,I have no objection to family vacations ,my 4 children have been on many,but as I have said cruising is not for LITTLE kids.Would you take the kids to Las Vegas?

Cruisebunnies,

I would not take my child to Vegas because there really aren't any good children's facilities there. The main draw is gambling and other "things". There is a reason why they call it Sin City...

However, a cruise is entirely different. They have great kids facilities and activities, and every waiter has treated her so special that she can't wait to go to dinner. It is so family oriented.

If cruising is not for little kids, then Disney has thrown away hundreds of millions of dollars building ships for no reason.

Cruisebunnies,

I would not take my child to Vegas because there really aren't any good children's facilities there. The main draw is gambling and other "things". There is a reason why they call it Sin City...

However, a cruise is entirely different. They have great kids facilities and activities, and every waiter has treated her so special that she can't wait to go to dinner. It is so family oriented.

If cruising is not for little kids, then Disney has thrown away hundreds of millions of dollars building ships for no reason.

Cruising Greek, I totally agree with your Disney statement. While I agree that kids should not be allowed at the Chef's table, I disagree with all of the comments that suggest that kids should not be allowed to cruise. My goodness, there is a family forum here on cruise critic - are you people crazy? RCCl has revamped it's brand to encourage families to bring their kids on cruises - DREAMWORKSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!! Just got back from sailing Allure with DD who is 3 and all she talks about now is Shrek, Alex and Fiona. I am sure some of you who are so opposed to kids cruising will be the same ones in line to ride the Carousel on Allure and Oasis! Maybe RCCl should have an age limit for riding - how about that? There were many adults and I am talking senior citizens riding the carousel, just as there were many of them attending the character breakfasts. As a matter of fact I overheard a group of four adults - I would guess 55 + asking if it was okay for them to attend the Character themed breakfasts so that they could hug and take pictures with the characters. Cruising is for everybody who wants to. We just have to use our discretion regarding what is age appropriate and what is not!! Stop the Nonsense People!! Stop the Nonsense!!

Edited by deniuh

I cannot understand why anyone would take small kids on any cruise.It is no holiday for the little ones or Mum and Dad, and as this post shows folks will be unhappy with children in certain venues.

Take the little darlings to Disneyland or let Granma and Grampa spoil them for a week.Thats what my family does.

Cruises are for kids too. RCI is becoming more and more family friendly. Why should kids stay home?

With that said, I would not have brought my little ones to the Chef's table, or to something like Portifinio's. Adults should have time away from little ones, and I understand that.

But, there is no way I'm leaving mine home.

Cruises are for kids too. RCI is becoming more and more family friendly. Why should kids stay home?

With that said, I would not have brought my little ones to the Chef's table, or to something like Portifinio's. Adults should have time away from little ones, and I understand that.

But, there is no way I'm leaving mine home.

I have never have taken a cruise without my daughter and I just think that the ship is large enough for everyone and some areas are for families, children only, and adult only and some areas for everyone. These areas should be respected by everyone.

I have never have taken a cruise without my daughter and I just think that the ship is large enough for everyone and some areas are for families, children only, and adult only and some areas for everyone. These areas should be respected by everyone.

Well said. Its a pity the family didnt respect that at the chefs table.

Edited by MAZANDSTEVE

Well said. Its a pity the family didn't respect that at the chefs table.

It is more of a pity that RCCL did not respect the rest of their guests at The Chef's Table and allowed the 3 and 6 year old children to attend this function. There are plenty of areas on the ship for kids and there should be areas on the ship for adults. The Chef's Table is one of those areas that should be for adults only.

Edited by coffeebean

does anyone know how many courses are served? Also, is the wine pairing a standard glass (5-6 oz) for each course served? We love food, and these types of dining experiences, so just want to make sure that it is worth $75 pp.

Cheers!

There were five courses; Smoked Duck Salad, Trio of Soups, Pan fried Scallops and Crab Cakes, Grilled Beef Tenderloin, Passion Fruit Creme Brulee and chocolates. Each course had a full serving, sometimes two, of the appropriate wine. Reidel Crystal was used for each pour. The history of the wine and why it was selected was explained. Most of the wine was in the $60 to $100 range.

LOL.......how can this discussion still be going on?..we all do need a life......;):o:D

We have no information about how this family made their reservation, heck for all we know they could have been a relative of the Captain, they could have been comp., they might have been staying in the most expensive suite.

Exceptions are always made..........and rules are always broken....an people interpret guidelines differently.........it's life.

I think they were staying in one of the most expensive suites. The concierge seem to know the father quite well. I believe this is the longest thread on Cruise Critic that I have ever started. The last long thread was several years ago; "Should teens have a curfew on the Voyager of the Seas" (or be allowed to roam the decks until 4 in the morning). That got quite heated but we know how it turned out. RCCL did impose a curfew. ;)

Edited by DawnCt

It is more of a pity that RCCL did not respect the rest of their guests at The Chef's Table and allowed the 3 and 6 year old children to attend this function. There are plenty of areas on the ship for kids and there should be areas on the ship for adults. The Chef's Table is one of those areas that should be for adults only.

Yep, that too.

I think they were staying in one of the most expensive suites. The concierge seem to know the father quite well. I believe this is the longest thread on Cruise Critic that I have ever started. The last long thread was several years ago; "Should teens have a curfew on the Voyager of the Seas" (or be allowed to roam the decks until 4 in the morning). That got quite heated but we know how it turned out. RCCL did impose a curfew. ;)

And I am still here..LOL....I've really enjoy the opinions.

Since the crefew was imposed ......it is very possible then that they will state age in their description, rather than emails and as another stated, they don't think their is a problem if no one speaks up and I would imagine from these posts many will be calling C&A.

I am glad you had an enjoyable time, I would have felt and responded as you did, even though we live on opposite coasts. I am in O.C., CA. Maybe it is because we each have 23 year old sons;);), I have 2 younger too.

Enjoy and thanks for posting something that has entertained me.

Edited by land lover

There were five courses; Smoked Duck Salad, Trio of Soups, Pan fried Scallops and Crab Cakes, Grilled Beef Tenderloin, Passion Fruit Creme Brulee and chocolates. Each course had a full serving, sometimes two, of the appropriate wine. Reidel Crystal was used for each pour. The history of the wine and why it was selected was explained. Most of the wine was in the $60 to $100 range.

So do you think you received more generous pours, because the kids were there? There can be advantages.;)

In our case Em's is only 10 but I'll try to answer none the less :)

I'm not sure you'd actually spot her, certainly not unless your table companions were so dull that you'd taken to analysing all the other guests in the restaurant.

You would see a table of people enjoying their dining experience with a little girl either chatting away or sitting quietly with said Nintendo under the table on her lap. You would need to position yourself to the side of her to spot it though. I presume you are aware that a Nintendo DS is around the same size as a mobile phone and makes no noise with it's volume turned down. Animal crossing requires no jerky movements on the part of the player. You are walking round in an imaginary world. Imagine teacher is another game she enjoys playing which is nice and quiet.

I find threads like this really fascinating. Have none of you ever seen well behaved children?

I also wonder how comfortable many of you are dining out. A meal in a good restaurant should be a relaxed affair, you don't have to sit bolt upright and talk in hushed tones. You need to learn a few ground rules so the staff can go about their job to full effect and my belief is that those ground rules should be learnt at an early age. Some of the skills are unique to dining out, others are basic behavioural building blocks for every day use.

If we ever cruise together let's have a meal with one another in Chops. If at the end of the night you can put your hand on your heart and say you haven't enjoyed yourselves because Em's was sat at the table than I'll pick up the tab. If you have enjoyed yourselves we'll each pick up our respective bills.

Keep smiling

Henry :)

I'm sorry Henry but you still aren't getting it. The point isn't whether children are well behaved or not. I'm sure your child is charming. The point is they are children and the venue was advertised as adult. It seems too many of you are taking this as a personal assault.

I'm sorry Henry but you still aren't getting it. The point isn't whether children are well behaved or not. I'm sure your child is charming. The point is they are children and the venue was advertised as adult. It seems too many of you are taking this as a personal assault.

Agreed. Sometimes we just want adult company and conversation. It has nothing at all to do with not liking kids are thinking they are poorly behaved. My kids feel the same way. Sometimes they prefer the company of others the same age. I don't take it personally.

Agreed. Sometimes we just want adult company and conversation. It has nothing at all to do with not liking kids are thinking they are poorly behaved. My kids feel the same way. Sometimes they prefer the company of others the same age. I don't take it personally.

Exactly, that is why I posted the blog excerpt rather than the website description (I didn't even look for one). If you read that, and you still want to bring even the most well-behaved child, I would think that your common sense is missing.

You're still here too.......always seem to remember your avatar;):D

You like it?

So do you think you received more generous pours, because the kids were there? There can be advantages.;)

I certainly hope so; any waiter worth his salt would have kept the booze flowing.

Hi there.

No, not as a personal assault at all. If anything I see myself as championing the well brought up and well mannered child.

I think it was Rancher Dave who said it was almost a shame that people felt the need to compliment a well behaved child in a restaurant and I suppose part of me feels the same. Almost every time we go to eat out in a restaurant someone compliments Em's on her behaviour. It's heart warming to hear them and much appreciated but what a shame her behaviour isn't the norm.

Ultimately I blame the parents, they don't know how to behave properly themselves, the couple who had kids sit in the window by their table are a perfect example of that.

I see the speciality dining venues as an adult orientated rather than adult only environment. As such if a child can't behave accordingly they must be taken out, in the same way a fidgety or noisy child should be taken out of a cinema or theatre.

If someone objects to Emily being in there purely on the grounds of visual appearance then I have no time for them. Being the handsom devil I am I could argue their, at best average looks upset me and spoil my digestion. But I don't, I allow them in without objection.

Were someone to object to Emily's presence based on her behaviour then I would retire quietly and without fuss. It would never happen because she understands the rules and respects others. As a non drinker getting drunk won't be an issue either as it is on a fairly regular basis with fellow diners in the restaurants.

In this example the two children were perfectly behaved, the person posting had a lovely meal and so I see no problem. In the case of people who have experienced problems then the restaurant staff need to excersise their right to ask people to leave.

My worst experience in Portofinos was actually with a very drunk woman. I felt uncomfortable for her fellow table guests as much as myself and my wife. What are we to do? Ban alcohol?

I can only live in hope that some of us posting here might one day share a table on a cruise so that we can dispel a few myths and have fun together.

Hi there.

No, not as a personal assault at all. If anything I see myself as championing the well brought up and well mannered child.

I think it was Rancher Dave who said it was almost a shame that people felt the need to compliment a well behaved child in a restaurant and I suppose part of me feels the same. Almost every time we go to eat out in a restaurant someone compliments Em's on her behaviour. It's heart warming to hear them and much appreciated but what a shame her behaviour isn't the norm.

Ultimately I blame the parents, they don't know how to behave properly themselves, the couple who had kids sit in the window by their table are a perfect example of that.

I see the speciality dining venues as an adult orientated rather than adult only environment. As such if a child can't behave accordingly they must be taken out, in the same way a fidgety or noisy child should be taken out of a cinema or theatre.

If someone objects to Emily being in there purely on the grounds of visual appearance then I have no time for them. Being the handsom devil I am I could argue their, at best average looks upset me and spoil my digestion. But I don't, I allow them in without objection.

Were someone to object to Emily's presence based on her behaviour then I would retire quietly and without fuss. It would never happen because she understands the rules and respects others. As a non drinker getting drunk won't be an issue either as it is on a fairly regular basis with fellow diners in the restaurants.

In this example the two children were perfectly behaved, the person posting had a lovely meal and so I see no problem. In the case of people who have experienced problems then the restaurant staff need to excersise their right to ask people to leave.

My worst experience in Portofinos was actually with a very drunk woman. I felt uncomfortable for her fellow table guests as much as myself and my wife. What are we to do? Ban alcohol?

I can only live in hope that some of us posting here might one day share a table on a cruise so that we can dispel a few myths and have fun together.

My kids are very well-behaved; I receive lots of compliments about them.

That being said, I would never bring them to chef's table. The age limit is 21 and for good reason. Look at the blog description. It's about cocktails and socializing with other adults. I'm sure I would love your daughter but that doesn't mean I want to hang out with her for an evening when I have paid for a certain type of event.

Edited by marci22

That being said, I would never bring them to chef's table. The age limit is 21 and for good reason. Look at the blog description. It's about cocktails and socializing with other adults. I'm sure I would love your daughter but that doesn't mean I want to hang out with her for an evening when I have paid for a certain type of event.

Agreed, and I feel like I am a well behaved adult but I am not going to attend Adventure Ocean.

Marci22, we really do seem to be on the same page.

This has nothing at all to do with behavior. Simply put, some adults enjoy an adult evening. I am realizing that not everyone feels the same way. However, for those of us that do, it is reasonable to expect that an event billed as "adults only" will be just that.

Agreed, and I feel like I am a well behaved adult but I am not going to attend Adventure Ocean.

I would if I could. And that really is the issue here. Adults are not allowed in Ocean Adventure and thus do try. Children are allowed at the Chef's Table, and thus, when their parents feel like spending that kind of money on them, they attend.

Save your breath Marci. He has his opinion and nothing will sway him from it.

I also have children, several in fact. They are all adults now with children of their own. All were raised in a manner where at all times they and their children behave with courtesy and grace in public. Am I proud of them? You bet I am! But would I take any of those under the requested age of 21 to the Chef's Table? Not a chance. Whether it's posted or not, it's obvious to me that this is an added cost event meant for adults. To do otherwise would IMO, be discourteous to everyone else at the table.

On that note, I am now officially done with this topic. It's all been said.

Edited by twoputt.plusone

I would if I could. And that really is the issue here. Adults are not allowed in Ocean Adventure and thus do try. Children are allowed at the Chef's Table, and thus, when their parents feel like spending that kind of money on them, they attend.

Actually children are NOT allowed to attend the Chef's Table per RCCL stated rules:

I just checked my confirmation from RCCL....the email they sent me to confirm my Chef's Table reservation on the Oasis. I didn't recall if it had an age restriction...but it sure does. I highlighted it in pink. Here is part of the email confirmation:

Reservations are for 7:30 PM and dinner is approximately 2 ½ hours long. Dress is smart casual except on formal nights where formal attire is also appropriate. Charges will be made to your Seapass Account once you are onboard. Cost is $75.00 per person and includes gratuities, guests must be 21, and penalty for cancellations within 24 hours is $25.00 per person.