Oasis, The Chef's Table with a 3 and 6 year old.

DawnCt

Very true. Although to be very honest, the adults have the Solarium, Vitality Spa, and of course the privacy of your own cabin. And teens and children have Ocean Adventures ( for the youngsters) and the teen club to get away from the adults. The only reason I started this whole conundrum is because some of the previous poster's comments were seriously rude! Saying cruises aren't a place for kids? Last time I checked we are still paid passengers and deserve certain benefits that come with booking a passage. I FULLY respect yours and other's desire for a child-free time, I sincerely do. But my god, we're not lepers that need to be avoided at all costs! I wish you with many safe and excellent surgeries. : D

I feel that I can write this to you, since you already know that I support you. (I am a teacher, both middle and high school, and I can relate to you describing yourself as "an old soul". Some of my students are indeed much more mature than others.)

I just wanted to point out something to you about what you wrote in this post.

Both the Solarium and the Vitality Spa are open to those SIXTEEN and older.

So they are not precisely "adults" only. And in just a few months, you can go to those places, too.

Just not the Chef's Table, yet.

:)

I've read all this thread with interest. We dined at Chef's Table on Grandeur last year and had an amazing night. We were at the table for almost 4 hours since our group got on so well and took a lot of interest in the food and wine so asked lots of questions.

I do not think it's a place for toddlers and I would not have been particularly happy to see them there. I realise that they were well behaved but just think that the dynamic would inevitably change with such young children there.

It's difficult to know what age would be acceptable. My sons have dined out with us on many occasions and in some very nice restaurants from a fairly young age and we have never had behaviour issues and I can see how a couple travelling with (say) a well behaved 13 year old might want to experience this and would know that their child would be well behaved.

However, we are sailing with our sons later in the year and asked if they would like to join us at Chef's Table - they will be 20 and 21 at the time (and yes, the 20 year old can join in adult activities and drink alcohol as it's a Med cruise). They both declined as they would love the food but just feel it's too long and too structured an evening for them.

I've read all this thread with interest. We dined at Chef's Table on Grandeur last year and had an amazing night. We were at the table for almost 4 hours since our group got on so well and took a lot of interest in the food and wine so asked lots of questions.

I do not think it's a place for toddlers and I would not have been particularly happy to see them there. I realise that they were well behaved but just think that the dynamic would inevitably change with such young children there.

It's difficult to know what age would be acceptable. My sons have dined out with us on many occasions and in some very nice restaurants from a fairly young age and we have never had behaviour issues and I can see how a couple travelling with (say) a well behaved 13 year old might want to experience this and would know that their child would be well behaved.

However, we are sailing with our sons later in the year and asked if they would like to join us at Chef's Table - they will be 20 and 21 at the time (and yes, the 20 year old can join in adult activities and drink alcohol as it's a Med cruise). They both declined as they would love the food but just feel it's too long and too structured an evening for them.

I agree with everything you are saying here.

I think the problem is that parents sometimes think their kids are well behaved (rose coloured spectacles) and then how do the staff deal with one 13 year old misbehaving, and another being well behaved. the parents would be up in arms.

As the mum of a 14 year old I can see a whole spectrum of behaviour in her age group. I also taught 16-18 year olds for years and there is an amazing span.

My daughter doesn't want to sit with us anyway, she has enough other stuff to experience and it will be a miracle if we see her much at all, fingers crossed lol :D

In reading the responses in which "we have no problems with children being at Chefs Table"-I can't help but wonder as to those who have that position,how many of them have had any skin in the game.In other words, how many have paid the 95.00$(x2?) to dine there in what is supposed to be an adult evening..If the truth were known,I would venture very few.

I have booked and paid for the Chef's Table package for my upcoming cruise in Oct.

Shak

In reading the responses in which "we have no problems with children being at Chefs Table"-I can't help but wonder as to those who have that position,how many of them have had any skin in the game.In other words, how many have paid the 95.00$(x2?) to dine there in what is supposed to be an adult evening..If the truth were known,I would venture very few.

My adult daughter and I were on Oasis earlier this month and dined at the Chef's Table. I don't know if it was because it was summer, but the "rules" said 13 and up. There was an "almost" 13 year old(one week shy) at the table and a 16 year old from Italy. There were no problems with them being there and everyone really enjoyed the dinner. Ours only lasted 3 hours. I also welcome an adult experience, but they were following the rules.

Keep in mind not all of us have that option. I have 2 kids (age 5 and 2) and we've gone to Disney 4 times with them. I'm ready for a vacation that doesn't revolve around cartoon characters.

Sending them to the grandparents would be a lovely solution but neither set is willing. We've had TWO evenings away from the girls in the last 5 years and one of them was when I was giving birth to our 2nd child.

A little empathy for those parents who have no choice but to bring their kids if they want to cruise. While I wouldn't dream of bringing them to the Chef's table or Portofino, they will be joining us on the ship. Ideal? No. Our only option? Yes.

It's expected that kids will dine in the MDR. That's the reason why my husband and I book a specialty restaurant every night of a cruise. We have experienced far too many screaming, running, jumping and generally misbehaved kids in the MDR on our first few cruises and simply elect to dine in peace and quiet on our vacation. RCCL should enforce its rules and parents that want to dine with their kids can go to the MDR, the buffet and the other family friendly options on board.

Don't forget that you yourself was once a child. Also if a parent is lucky to afford a vacation with children why not!!!! Kids today need to explore the world they make better students at school.. Not just exposed to one side of the world. I think that you are living in the past and would hate to know what else you view on life.

I think almost everyone that has posted agrees that children are welcome in most areas of the ship with the exception of the adult-only venues. Kids also have kid-only venues on many ships and there are many family style dining options for families with children to enjoy. Specialty dining areas after 7 p.m. and the Chef's Table fine dining experience should be maintained and enforced as an adults only venue for the enjoyment of all guests. Parents with children can have a great dining experience in the MDR or dine in the buffet.

Most young children, no matter how well-behaved, are bored silly in a fancy dining room and are too young to appreciate a fine dining experience. It's simply not age appropriate for them to be there and most parents understand this and abide by the rules.

The bottom line to me is that it's RCI's prerogative to bend its own rules. Who knows? Maybe it was some "VIP" that the Captain wanted to impress? Now - if they bend the rules, then the company should refund money to anyone who doesn't want to be at the table with the little ones - any maybe an additional perk like an OBC. But, since RCI makes the rules, it can break the rules - it just has to appease those guests inconvenienced.

Also, about taking kids on cruises. Who do you think the vast majority of mass market lines cater to?????? Families! So, if you don't like my four year old at your MDR table, you're free to get up and leave - we won't.

land lover, I will lay you odds of dollars to doughnuts that it is reason #3. :rolleyes:

I agree with you Merion Mom. It's most likely that they had the most expensive suite on the ship and perhaps the Captain's Table was a comp. It still seems strange that they would want such very young children to attend a fine dining experience. Obviously the kids were tired and bored.

My adult daughter and I were on Oasis earlier this month and dined at the Chef's Table. I don't know if it was because it was summer, but the "rules" said 13 and up. There was an "almost" 13 year old(one week shy) at the table and a 16 year old from Italy. There were no problems with them being there and everyone really enjoyed the dinner. Ours only lasted 3 hours. I also welcome an adult experience, but they were following the rules.

Growing up in a big Italian family , I can guess those kids from Italy were used to long multi coursed dinners, probably every week.

We sat through them every Sunday til I was about 16,17 years old.

Of course the little kids were relagated to the "Kids Table " in the kitchen. And the oldest one was the monitor, and they got in trouble if the little ones acted up, because they were old enough to know better . *LOL*

I have to say, when I first sat down this really surprised me, and in fact, I was initially annoyed. A family from Brazil arrived with two little girls, age 3 and 6. We were seated next to the father. Their mother sat next to them and they were accompanied by their grandmother and uncle. We brought our 23 year old son. When we first reserved, I saw one notification, "Must be over 21". Then I saw another, "must be 16" so i wondered how they were seated. Having said that, they were extremely well behaved and when the three year old got bored, she fell asleep. The six year old was not only well behaved, spoke perfect English when spoken to. Her father was an very nice, interesting man. Grandmother and uncle spoke no English and the mother's English was limited.

It just shows how inconsiderate and rude people have become, and how terrified companies are to enforce rules. I do not want to be burdened by people's children acting out in public, especially at venues that are supposed to be special moments for adults ONLY.

The bottom line to me is that it's RCI's prerogative to bend its own rules. Who knows? Maybe it was some "VIP" that the Captain wanted to impress? Now - if they bend the rules, then the company should refund money to anyone who doesn't want to be at the table with the little ones - any maybe an additional perk like an OBC. But, since RCI makes the rules, it can break the rules - it just has to appease those guests inconvenienced.

Also, about taking kids on cruises. Who do you think the vast majority of mass market lines cater to?????? Families! So, if you don't like my four year old at your MDR table, you're free to get up and leave - we won't.

If they continue bending the rules then no one would travel. I'm a mum, I wouldn't want an adult to be in a children only area, why would I want kids to be in an adult only area? I think bending the rules is a diabolical practise.

It just shows how inconsiderate and rude people have become, and how terrified companies are to enforce rules. I do not want to be burdened by people's children acting out in public, especially at venues that are supposed to be special moments for adults ONLY.

absolutely. Imagine the uproar if it were the other way around.

Why even bother to have rules if you are not going to enforce them??:rolleyes:

I agree. When we sailed on Princess, a recording kept going on in the theatre stating you could not reserve seats, yet many people reserved many seats! Nobody enforcing the rules. My DH and I left the theatre disgusted as we couldn't find a seat.

Especially when you are paying so much for a special dinner!

If they are that young, do they eat for free even though they are not allowed? If I pay that much for an adult dinner, I want an adult dinner. Dealing with some adults are like dealing with children.

Edited by cybergidget

It's expected that kids will dine in the MDR. That's the reason why my husband and I book a specialty restaurant every night of a cruise. We have experienced far too many screaming, running, jumping and generally misbehaved kids in the MDR on our first few cruises and simply elect to dine in peace and quiet on our vacation. RCCL should enforce its rules and parents that want to dine with their kids can go to the MDR, the buffet and the other family friendly options on board.

I have been on numerous cruises and never have seen kids misbehaving in the the MDR the way you describe. I've seen a whole lot more rude adults misbehave than kids!

"It's expected that kids will dine in the MDR"....who is expecting this? Maybe you should check out RCCL web site. It states:

"Children with a parent or guardian are welcome in our specialty restaurants throughout serving hours. The only exceptions are Chef's Table which requires all guests to be 21 years of age or older, and 150 Central Park which requires families with children under 13 years of age to dine before 7 p.m. Reservations can be made online or onboard at the restaurant based on availability."

s.gif

I'm sure it was changed because they weren't able to sell it out without loosening the restrictions.
well I beg to disagree-I've been three times-all sold out without kids-have you been? Very easy to sell out the limited seats.

I have booked and paid for the Chef's Table package for my upcoming cruise in Oct.

Shak

I hope you enjoy your upcoming chefs table.Are you taking a child or children?.No children?-maybe someone on the cruise would volunteer to let you treat their(well mannered ) child at $95 a pop which will be a great evening for all at the table , I'm sure.After you go-with or without children,please post back as to your dining experience and your feelings once having been.I stand by my premise-MOST of the posters who can't understand why children should not be allowed ,have NEVER BEEN and have "no skin in the game"-just their opinions(which come pretty cheap these days, so I've heard)

I hope you enjoy your upcoming chefs table.Are you taking a child or children?.No children?-maybe someone on the cruise would volunteer to let you treat their(well mannered ) child at $95 a pop which will be a great evening for all at the table , I'm sure.After you go-with or without children,please post back as to your dining experience and your feelings once having been.I stand by my premise-MOST of the posters who can't understand why children should not be allowed ,have NEVER BEEN and have "no skin in the game"-just their opinions(which come pretty cheap these days, so I've heard)

All of our children are grown now and only DW and I are going on this cruise. I won't respond to your non adult remarks but I will gladly report back of my dining experience at the Chef's Table.

Shak

My guess is that the kids who are reported being at Chef's Table (aside from the occasional single teen) are there because their parents have been comped for some reason. I can't imagine paying for a couple of toddlers @ $95pp. And they'll probably only eat bread and ice cream.

All of our children are grown now and only DW and I are going on this cruise. I won't respond to your non adult remarks but I will gladly report back of my dining experience at the Chef's Table.

Shak

Non Adult remarks?At least I have been and might know a little more about the evening than someone who has not yet been.But mainly-enjoy your experience in Oct.-thanks

We would not sit with a family with young children so we would definately ask for another table. I think that the cruise lines do a good job at table pairing for the enjoyment of all guests.

No way, I am sorry but I would be firm on that. I would be discrete when I left, no one would be offended. I would go and register my protest at the Guest relations or with the Concierge.

Personally I think it is a form of child abuse keeping children up that late, these dinners run to almost 11:00. Children need their sleep. Also they would be bored and would differently change the whole atmosphere of the dinner. Sorry, children should not be allowed every where.

No way, I am sorry but I would be firm on that. I would be discrete when I left, no one would be offended. I would go and register my protest at the Guest relations or with the Concierge.

Personally I think it is a form of child abuse keeping children up that late, these dinners run to almost 11:00. Children need their sleep. Also they would be bored and would differently change the whole atmosphere of the dinner. Sorry, children should not be allowed every where.

I totally agree with you that they should not be there. However, your assertion that it is child abuse, and that they need their sleep is a bit over the top. It's a vacation, and sometimes on vacation, kids do things they otherwise wouldn't. There is nothing "abusive" about keeping a child up until 11:00 for a special occasion. It only means the parents are going to pay the price the next day!

So, no children absolutely don't belong at the Chef's Table, and I too would strenuously (albeit discreetly) object. But abuse? That's just a bit much.