dress code question please no flamming me

thrusday

I did put a clip from the HAL website in my post above and it says nothing of jeans. Just slacks.

Please known I mean no offense to those with differing opinions.

That's right. The dress code used to say no jeans, but it doesn't any longer.

The simple answer to the OP's simple question is: yes, jeans are allowed. She didn't ask for opinions.

I should have known better than to get involved in a thread on dress code. My bad. But... I did put a clip from the HAL website in my post above and it says nothing of jeans. Just slacks. So my point was if I were going to wear jeans I would try to dress them up a bit with a blazer. It's just my opinion. Sadly I fear that it will eventually be shorts, jersies and caps because that's what people want. I just think it's a slippery slope.

Please known I mean no offense to those with differing opinions.

Your comment that jeans should go with dress shirt and blazer seemed to be aimed at everyone ("If a man is going to wear denim...") and not what you personally would do. :)

Dress code threads are tricky things!

Don't worry about it. These boards make it way more stuffy than it really is. On our recent cruise, there were A LOT of people in jeans (sweatshirts), etc. We had to laugh, cause we didn't have our luggage yet, so my husband had to wear his jeans and a shirt, and he was worried about standing out. He was one of the better dressed in our area. Who cares? Just be comfortable. I used to really worry about it, until I actually saw what is happening. Don't worry.

Very true! On the Oosterdam in December the MDR had every kind of dress...I actually couldn't tell the formal nights from the non formal nights except for the white tablecloths! We were all dressed up but were in the minority!

He will be fine in jeans!

• 2 weeks later...
i think i read that shorts aren't allowed in public places in the evenings. is this still correct?

That's correct for most public places at night. The Lido Deck, and outside decks are, of course, an exception.

Here is what HAL's web site under FAQ states;

Evening dress falls into two distinct categories: Formal or Smart Casual. Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and collared shirts for men and casual dresses, slacks and informal evening wear for women. T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours. On festive Formal evenings, ladies usually wear a suit, cocktail dress or gown and gentlemen wear a jacket and tie, dark suit or tuxedo. There are approximately two formal nights per week.

According to this the only things prohibited during the evening are the bolded items.

Jeans and a polo shirt are just fine.

We have not done a Caribbean cruise for 5 years (have done other trips) and am amazed to find that jeans are permissible. Jeans and cargo shorts are not even allowed on the golf courses where we live, so I guess Country Club casual has now gone by the wayside. When we tired of schlepping the tux, needlepoint cumberbund, Versace vest, and jewelry with us, we simply let everyone else enjoy themselves with their dress-up and ate quite happily in our suite. While I don't want to dress formally shipboard, I see where it could be a treat for some people and it's a shame that they can't enjoy others dressed as they are.

I went to Bonefish Grille last night--everything from shorts and tees to sequinned tops--what a people watching feast! I guess it boils down to the fact that people can afford to cruise, but the traditional clothing has become a stretch budget -wise.

Didn't see any jeans in the MDR at night on the Volendam (December 17,2010), but then we weren't looking. I do know the staff was watching out for shorts. My husband was wearing Dockers so I see no reason he can't wear jeans. He should wear a shirt with a collar for the evening---such as a Hawaiian shirt or a polo shirt with a collar.

Also felt that the passengers on our cruise were more formally dressed than what I have seen on any other cruise. This was the Holiday Cruise with more than 1,000 Australians. Most everyone we saw was formally dressed on Formal night. Most of the men that we saw had tuxedos. And most of the women I saw were wearing long dresses. Both my husband and I thought it was a very upscale crowd.

Only the fashion police object to shorts in the evenings.....the crew won't say a word and you certainly won't be alone if you wear them.

Depends. They were checking for shorts on the Volendam. I got to know the Maitre de in training and she stopped at our table to check if the men had shorts on. She was trying to track down the gentleman that she saw enter the dining room with them on.

Depends. They were checking for shorts on the Volendam. I got to know the Maitre de in training and she stopped at our table to check if the men had shorts on. She was trying to track down the gentleman that she saw enter the dining room with them on.

The post I was responding to was asking about public places other than the MDR.

Sheesh....I really do know better than to get involved in these dress code threads. ;)

thank you for youre honesty but however considering its not a formal night i can not see why it would be dress jeans and button shirt , honestly i can not change my husband even though ive tried im 43 and hes 63 and he is pretty well set in his ways at least he does dress for formal night, again thank you but i feel i have my answer and hope no one gets upset over this , so yes he will be wearing his rustlers and his 501 jeans to dinner on non formal nights and suite and tie on formal thank you all for the help , appericate it very much and yes i plan on enjoying the cruise making some memories before its too late ,oh we dont wear shorts to dinner thats not a issue,, thanks though for the heads up ,

For a non-formal night, I agree with you about nice jeans and a button shirt (collared shirt). I disagree with the post-er about the blazer.

My husband, who wears a tuxedo on formal nights, never wears a blazer, sport jacket, suit jacket etc on non-formal nights. He wears nice slacks (he's not a jeans person) and a collared shirt. No jacket, no tie in MDR.

The post I was responding to was asking about public places other than the MDR.

Sheesh....I really do know better than to get involved in these dress code threads. ;)

So should I...but the fact remains the HAL website says:

"T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours."

The show lounge (and the lido, the cinema, and pretty much everywhere everywhere except your cabin) are public areas.

Archived