How do you know if a cruise is really sold out?

solecruiser

Yesterday there was availability on our upcoming cruise for Inside cabins only. The day before there was availability for both Oceanview and Inside cabins. I took it upon myself to type in various cabin numbers to see what was actually available and there were many, many rooms in both categories showing availability. Yesterday the OV's were removed and today all Insides were removed. The sailing date is in 2 weeks so how come they are not deeply discounting trying to sell these "available cabins". Could it be that they sold out in the last day?

I also found it strange that verandas and above have been sold out for weeks. Doesn't make sense that the higher categories would go so much quicker than the lower categories or does it? Any opinions here?

At 14 days they are approaching the peak time of assigning cabins for guarantees, and they pull categories "off line" while they are doing that. Usually the low-level cabins will open up again at around 7 or 6 days out.

On the veranda etc levels, it may well be that they are not sold out, but no more reservations are being accepted for them because they know that many of them will be required to fill reservations for over-sold lower category guarantees.

On our most recent cruise (Nieuw A) almost all categories were flagged as "Call for price and availability" for many months, until it got down to within a few weeks and suddenly many levels opened up.

I happened to be looking to see if there were price drops for my upcoming cruise in 22 days, and there was absolutely zero availability in any of the categories.

So it may or may not be absolutely full and HAL is possibly doing the "category shuffle"?

you got it. It's hard to say. The ships traditionally sail 100% full so, one way or another, they fill them.

It really depends. I have called and found some availability for our friends and other times, been told the ship is sold out.

Best advice, when it says call for availability, do so.

You can still use your TA if you like, but at least you know.:)

OK, I am "at sea" and ignorant on this matter. But how does one find out if the cabins in various categories are available or not? Spell it out in simple English, please. What is the procedure to follow without asking a travel agent? Does one start by going to www.hollandamerica.com ? Then what? This is not as easy as it sounds to someone who knows how to do it.

OK, I am "at sea" and ignorant on this matter. But how does one find out if the cabins in various categories are available or not? Spell it out in simple English, please. What is the procedure to follow without asking a travel agent? Does one start by going to www.hollandamerica.com ? Then what? This is not as easy as it sounds to someone who knows how to do it.
Just go through a dummy booking process:

Choose Find A Cruise, specify the ship/date/destination/port/whatever your parameters are.

Browse the itineraries. When you find one you're interested in, click the green Cruise Details and Intinerary button in the lower right corner.

When the itinerary shows, click the green Continue button.

Enter your Mariner number(s) and other info on the next page and again Continue.

Choose a stateroom type by pressing a green Select button on the left.

Choose one of the cabin categories shown by clicking the circle next to it. (Note the price break-down on the right). Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and press Continue.

The next screen will show you up to 6 available rooms, or offer a "guarantee" option.

If you do not like any of the given choices you can test for others by clicking the Enter a Requested Stateroom Number circle and then the Check Availability button. Repeat as often as you like.

Is that step-by-step enough? :)

Archived