We are tiny, tiny sampling of the cruising public

TEXASMUNK

I would wager probably way, way, way under 1/2 of 1 percent of the cruising population.

But, I gotta say, reading the boards these past few days, the overwhelming word that keeps recurring to me is; Greed

The C & A program is marketing tool. It is put out there are a two pronged tool...One the say thank you, the other to entice you (ie, balcony discount).

The posts about Emerald is not enough or wow, 700 nights for a sinking free cruise, or I did not get enough from the conversion, or the below the surface glee at minimal reward the new program provided Diamond Plus members who got that way by taking short cruises.

Folks, people cruise because they LIKE it. Please, remember, we are talking about discretionary spending...THE C&A program is not like some government tax refund, where ya hope you get alot!...It is, in marketing terms, a "Magic Bullet" to entice and at the same time say thank you.

So please, tell us how wonderful your cruise to Dubai or your meal in Chops or that great Cruise Director, but please move on!

I would wager probably way, way, way under 1/2 of 1 percent of the cruising population.

But, I gotta say, reading the boards these past few days, the overwhelming word that keeps recurring to me is; Greed

The C & A program is marketing tool. It is put out there are a two pronged tool...One the say thank you, the other to entice you (ie, balcony discount).

The posts about Emerald is not enough or wow, 700 nights for a sinking free cruise, or I did not get enough from the conversion, or the below the surface glee at minimal reward the new program provided Diamond Plus members who got that way by taking short cruises.

Folks, people cruise because they LIKE it. Please, remember, we are talking about discretionary spending...THE C&A program is not like some government tax refund, where ya hope you get alot!...It is, in marketing terms, a "Magic Bullet" to entice and at the same time say thank you.

So please, tell us how wonderful your cruise to Dubai or your meal in Chops or that great Cruise Director, but please move on!

Right on!!

Well said!

I was worried there for a moment when I saw your name attached to the most current post.

I was afraid the Mayan prediction for the end of the world in 2012 was coming true that you and I would actually agree on something!

Thank you! My faith is restored in you OceanBoy. You have not lost your edge for the quality sarcastic retort. Keep up the good work.

I was worried there for a moment when I saw your name attached to the most current post.

I was afraid the Mayan prediction for the end of the world in 2012 was coming true that you and I would actually agree on something!

Thank you! My faith is restored in you OceanBoy. You have not lost your edge for the quality sarcastic retort. Keep up the good work.

If you are implying that we never agree on anything I have to say that I had not noticed that but I will pay more attention to it in the future.

This C&A stuff is all going to die down in a few days just like every other, somewhat, controversial change that RCI comes up with. There really is no need to be accusing people of greed.

I find the whole subject rather trival and have been spending most of my time on Radio's Oasis thread.

Absolutely right!

.....and if you want to talk greed, talk to my Jim (33 year disney castmember) about the heartbreaking changes to Disney parks in the last 4 years. Makes any Royal Caribbean has done minor in comparison.....and we DO understand how the recession has affected the hospitality business.

As I have said earlier......we will be taking a 12 night sailing on the Explorer in December. We added all possible cruise expenses and it still is less expensive than our last 8 night visit to Disneyworld......with castmember discounts - free tickets - free airfare, etc.

We say.....we can live without chocolates on our pillows....Royal Caribbean still rocks!

Youare right, we fall on the same side of many points of view...Just enjoy your commentary!!!!

Me, it is Syrius Margaritaville on the radio.

I haven't listened to that much. I usually go with the Joint when I need my Caribbean reggae fix. Maybe I'll give Margaritaville a try.

Actually, I have found the posts rather refreshing I have not posted on the main RCI board for a long time....and this brought me back.

Is what I am noticing which I think is unfortunate is those that have only have been cruising a year or 2 and have a few cruises and so desperately want to be diamond..and feel so robbed.....

Don't they realize the deals they have received on their cruise fare during these last few years, that they have been "robbing" the cruise line, figuratively speaking;)

Actually, I have found the posts rather refreshing I have not posted on the main RCI board for a long time....and this brought me back.

Is what I am noticing which I think is unfortunate is those that have only have been cruising a year or 2 and have a few cruises and so desperately want to be diamond..and feel so robbed.....

Don't they realize the deals they have received on their cruise fare during these last few years, that they have been "robbing" the cruise line, figuratively speaking;)

I have been paying exactly the amount that RCI has been requiring. How is that "robbing"? Whatever deals the cruise lines have been offering they have done it because they needed to in order to sell cruises not because they wanted to give any of us a break.

I have been paying exactly the amount that RCI has been requiring. How is that "robbing"? Whatever deals the cruise lines have been offering they have done it because they needed to in order to sell cruises not because they wanted to give any of us a break.

LOL..really, they didn't what to give me a break??? and you know what I meant....simply that cruising has been very affordable the last few years and there were many deals to be had, so alot of people decide to cruise simply because it was a cheap get away.

LOL..really, they didn't what to give me a break??? and you know what I meant....simply that cruising has been very affordable the last few years and there were many deals to be had, so alot of people decide to cruise simply because it was a cheap get away.

Yes I understand what you are saying. But at the same time I am sure that for many people they decided to cruise because they could only afford to with the lower pricing and deals. What is a cheap get-a-way for one person is a sacrifice for another. The cruise lines do what they have to in order to make cruising affordable to enough people to fill up the ships.

Actually I have been pleasantly surprised by the number of favorable posts that I have read. There will always be complaints when changes occur and if there are grievous errors, I believe that RCI will work with the individuals to correct them as much as possible. But in some cases it is important to understand that "stuff happens". Accept it and move on. Overall though, the conversion seems to have worked better than many of us, including me, expected.:)

Bill

Actually I have been pleasantly surprised by the number of favorable posts that I have read. There will always be complaints when changes occur and if there are grievous errors, I believe that RCI will work with the individuals to correct them as much as possible. But in some cases it is important to understand that "stuff happens". Accept it and move on. Overall though, the conversion seems to have worked better than many of us, including me, expected.:)

Bill

I agree with Bill. Most of the feedback has been either positive or simply asking questions.

I have seen a relatively low percentage of deeply unhappy cruisers.

Cruisenfever really lost out in the conversion, but she isn't complaining..........she just continues to help other people.

:)

We just got off the Oasis this morning. If there are about 6000 paying passengers per sailing/per week, that is a huge number. Yet...only 285 people have taken the time to post a real "review" on the reviews section of this web stie.

Why? Lazy? Totally satisfied; totally UNsatisfied?

We are a very, very, tiny minority. Most passengers, yes, very elderly (70 - 90 yrs) I talked with on this week's cruise have no internet interest, and certainly have never heard of "cruise critic".

So...take it with a grain of salt; very elderly; no internet interest and no comprehension of this web site=very small minority of opinions.

We just got off the Oasis this morning. If there are about 6000 paying passengers per sailing/per week, that is a huge number. Yet...only 285 people have taken the time to post a real "review" on the reviews section of this web stie.

Why? Lazy? Totally satisfied; totally UNsatisfied?

We are a very, very, tiny minority. Most passengers, yes, very elderly (70 - 90 yrs) I talked with on this week's cruise have no internet interest, and certainly have never heard of "cruise critic".

So...take it with a grain of salt; very elderly; no internet interest and no comprehension of this web site=very small minority of opinions.

I am sorry, but your post makes no sense.

:confused:

I am Diamond Plus on Royal Caribbean. I enjoy having reached that level and like the perks. I have never, EVER once thought of this enjoyment as greed.

How is it any greedier than someone in the big suites expecting to get the perks that come with those suites? They deserve the perks. They paid for them. Crown and Anchor members deserve their perks...they paid for them. Is that greed? I don't think so.

And I don't understand the impatience some display here because C&A members want to discuss changes in the program. This is a board about cruising. This particular forum is about Royal Caribbean, so it is only natural many who cruise RCI ships regularly will be interested in C&A changes.

If some find such discussions and interest in C&A benefits as evidence of greed, don't read the discussions. If such discussions are boring, avoid them. It is really easy to skip such topics. Or, of course, you can join the chorus of those who want to scold the people who do want to discuss C&A changes as if they are petty, selfish, greedy people.

I am Diamond Plus on Royal Caribbean. I enjoy having reached that level and like the perks. I have never, EVER once thought of this enjoyment as greed.

How is it any greedier than someone in the big suites expecting to get the perks that come with those suites? They deserve the perks. They paid for them. Crown and Anchor members deserve their perks...they paid for them. Is that greed? I don't think so.

And I don't understand the impatience some display here because C&A members want to discuss changes in the program. This is a board about cruising. This particular forum is about Royal Caribbean, so it is only natural many who cruise RCI ships regularly will be interested in C&A changes.

If some find such discussions and interest in C&A benefits as evidence of greed, don't read the discussions. If such discussions are boring, avoid them. It is really easy to skip such topics. Or, of course, you can join the chorus of those who want to scold the people who do want to discuss C&A changes as if they are petty, selfish, greedy people.

"Greed" was a bit of a strong word I am sure.

What is true though is that it is a Marketing Tool and there is nothing said anywhere that this "Tool" will not end or change as the Company desires. Marketing Programs always change as time and economic conditions dictate.

Just think what would happen on here if they instituted a Fuel Surcharge, then we would really here some complaints.:eek: Bite my tongue!

We should enjoy the Perks while we get them, C&A benefit or Suite benefits, and except the changes that occur since they are FREE. ( Or go elsewhere I guess).

From what I have read here, maybe 10% of the people on CC had a negative issue with the change. TM is indicating that that 10% is probably much less than 1% of the total RCI Cruise Customers. We are probably not as important as some think we are:)

I am just glad it is settled and we can soon move on to other topics. I have been avoiding any new posts on this issue, but have met TM and enjoyed a conversation with him a year ago - so thought I would see what he had to say.

Done deal now, so think I will move on.

Well wishes to all!

Very elderly that I personally talked to, did not reserve anything online. NO Internet access or interest. So...they will NOT post here. My estimate is that 75% of the Oasis this past week were not computer savy.
You have got to be kidding me 75%??????? And where did you pull this number out of by the way????? And I agree your post made "0" sense, sorry:rolleyes:

Archived