Disappointed in balcony smoking on Solstice

terp4life

There are some hotels where they charge you $250 if you smoke in your room. On a cruise, if you smoke in a forbidden area, they should charge you 10 times that and then make you walk the plank.

They say that they can not tell where the smokers are. They have smoke alarms in airplane lavatories so it should not be a problem putting them in balconies.

DON

Unfortunately, it is a moving vessel. What is to prevent the smoke from the cabin next to me from setting off the detector on my balcony. Or the one above it? Inside the cabins...absolutely! Cannot do the camera thing....privacy and all.

Our last two balcony cabins were mid-ship port side and we never had an issue with smoke at all (and I hate, hate, hate smoke and would have definitely noticed it).

I for one (and I may be the only one) would have no problems with cameras that viewed the outside of the ship and could then possibly be used to identify the smokers (or other rule breakers, like throwing garbage overboard or the like). I don't mean cameras on each balcony, or pointed into the balcony, but cameras that pan down the side of the ship. For all I know, perhaps they even have these already?? I don't see balconies as having the same right of privacy as I do the cabins themselves, as they are viewable by others such as neighboring cabins (should someone lean over and make the effort to do so). I would consider the balconies more of a 'semi-private' area.

Our last two balcony cabins were mid-ship port side and we never had an issue with smoke at all (and I hate, hate, hate smoke and would have definitely noticed it).

I for one (and I may be the only one) would have no problems with cameras that viewed the outside of the ship and could then possibly be used to identify the smokers (or other rule breakers, like throwing garbage overboard or the like). I don't mean cameras on each balcony, or pointed into the balcony, but cameras that pan down the side of the ship. For all I know, perhaps they even have these already?? I don't see balconies as having the same right of privacy as I do the cabins themselves, as they are viewable by others such as neighboring cabins (should someone lean over and make the effort to do so). I would consider the balconies more of a 'semi-private' area.

On our last bridge tour on the Freedom of The Seas, they showed us a board that detected a lit match anywhere on the ship. I don't think they need cameras to identify smoking if this type of detection system is on every ship.

Of course they could just require smokers to step outside to smoke, as done at most other public venues these days, but apparently Celebrity wants to provide a comfortable indoor smoking area for passengers who still smoke. As more smokers are now turning to e-cigarettes, at least in public, maybe this will be less of a problem in the future.

For those times when it's storming out, high winds, rain, not real practical to force smokers outside. Yes, they have to do it in all kinds of weather at work, but I'll take the point that they're "paying good money for a vacation" on this point and shouldn't be forced outside when it's that nasty out. I can see where it could be problematic to allow smoking inside at some times and not others, depending on the weather. Completely non-smoking ships have proven to be unpopular (at least so far), and I see one indoor smoking venue as an acceptable accommodation for smokers while overall trying to please everybody.

X's stance on e-cigs at this time seems to be to classify it as smoking, probably to cut down on all the false reports of smoking that their use might generate.

I do like the idea of an enclosed space for smoking that has a positive-pressure air flow to ensure that smoke from this room goes through its own separate ventilation system and up the stack. In future ship designs, I'd like to see them allot the equivalent deck space as half of the Sky Observation Lounge to put a few of these smoking lounges at strategic locations throughout the ship, then ban smoking completely except for these lounges.

A non-smoking area of a room makes as much sense as a non-peeing area of a swimming pool.

This made me L:DL at work last night!

I tend to agree with the poster who stated there needs to be an inside area and my experience with the Sky Lounge is, I didn't know smoking was allowed on the portside of the Lounge until I walked by a person who was smoking. Smoke just didn't seem to pervade the Lounge. We used the Sky Lounge a good deal because we loved the views and the seating. It's not as if 100+ smokers show up and all standing on the portside puffing away. The Lounge seems to have very efficient airconditioning. We've set and socialized, played cards and so on with friends who are very senstive to smoke and unless we sat very near a smoker (us sitting on the port side until we realized the setup), they weren't impacted.

Realizing we each have our own level of tolerance to smoke, But if you are very sensitive or have a major allergy to it, then I'm afraid you shouldn't use that Lounge. Unless the Line is going fully non-smoking, it is needed.

Den

Surely the balcony entitles one to the same right to privacy as a stateroom. Are the habits of a few rude and nosy people (those who would make an effort to look over a balcony partition) apt justification for installing cameras to detect smokers? Both the smokers and the intruders should be reported for their indiscretions.

I for one (and I may be the only one) would have no problems with cameras ... I don't see balconies as having the same right of privacy as I do the cabins themselves, as they are viewable by others such as neighboring cabins (should someone lean over and make the effort to do so). I would consider the balconies more of a 'semi-private' area.

Surely the balcony entitles one to the same right to privacy as a stateroom. Are the habits of a few rude and nosy people (those who would make an effort to look over a balcony partition) apt justification for installing cameras to detect smokers? Both the smokers and the intruders should be reported for their indiscretions.

Not so sure. Anyone who does think that balconies are private should have no problem going outside au naturel. The reason people (generally) do not do that is because they realize the privacy is not total, even while at sea. You're outside, not inside, where you can close the curtains. I was going to attempt to draw a parallel to being on a front porch of a house, but it doesn't quite compare, since it does take an active step on the part of the observer that a simple passerby would not have to make. Maybe someone else would be able to make an accurate comparison.

I wouldn't think twice if a neighbor heard me rustling around on my balcony and popped their head around the corner to say hello. I'd be uncomfortable if they made a habit of staring around the divide for long periods of time, but I think the very design of the balcony dividers encourages people to at least glance over to see if their neighbors would care to visit. And if I'm caught smoking, too bad for me.

It begs the question, has anyone ever gotten into trouble for looking around a balcony partition? Does Celebrity consider this to be unacceptable behavior?

\

It begs the question, has anyone ever gotten into trouble for looking around a balcony partition? Does Celebrity consider this to be unacceptable behavior?

As a smoker that is allowed to smoke on the balconies of other lines, I peek around the divider if I haven't smelled smoke coming from there previously to see if anyone is on their balcony before I light up. If they are out there, then I don't light up.

Several times there has been someone out there reading and they have never taken offense when I tell them why I was peeking.

On one ship, I was out on the balcony with my morning cup of tea smoking when I heard the neighbors coming out with their breakfast (rattle of dishes). I immediately put my cigarette out. The next day, same story, second verse. The third day while waiting to leave port, I see them hanging over their balcony railing smoking! Oh well.

Tucker in Texas

I don't mean the type of privacy that enables people to do what they do behind closed doors, but a privacy free from the intrusion of cameras and constant observation. Out of respect for my neighbors' privacy, I would never deliberately look around a partition onto their balcony unless invited to do so. I would be interested to read if people have gotten into trouble for bothering their neighbors, though.

Anyone who does think that balconies are private should have no problem going outside au naturel. The reason people (generally) do not do that is because they realize the privacy is not total, even while at sea. You're outside, not inside, where you can close the curtains. I was going to attempt to draw a parallel to being on a front porch of a house, but it doesn't quite compare, since it does take an active step on the part of the observer that a simple passerby would not have to make. Maybe someone else would be able to make an accurate comparison.

I wouldn't think twice if a neighbor heard me rustling around on my balcony and popped their head around the corner to say hello. I'd be uncomfortable if they made a habit of staring around the divide for long periods of time, but I think the very design of the balcony dividers encourages people to at least glance over to see if their neighbors would care to visit. And if I'm caught smoking, too bad for me.

Hilarious! A smoking thread that has drifted into nudity. LOL!!

I've been following this thread because I'm a smoker and have not considered X as a possibility for me. I had no idea people on X would even consider smoking on their balconies. :eek: I thought that if they did, they'd be shackeled and dragged to the brig awaiting debarkation at the next port. And then fined an exhorbitant fee for doing so.

Apparently, the smokers on X don't care about the policies and just do as they please. That's really kinda sad as I know lots of non-smokers book X assuming they can lounge on their balconies without having to have so much as a whiff of smoke. Amazing...the human race continues to evolve backwards.

Does anyone know for sure if X has the cameras? If they do, why on earth should I consider scolding my neighbors? Or be put in the position of monitoring them?

I applaud all of you who do, on this line. I never understood non smokers who tried to negotiate with smokers on CCL balconies, they have a right to smoke there on most lines. But that is not what I want from my first Celebrity AQ experience. I am looking forward to cruising with mannered folks and on a cruise line that does what it says it will. The smoking policy is also a contract of sorts with non smokers, or it is false advertising.

Hilarious! A smoking thread that has drifted into nudity. LOL!!

I've been following this thread because I'm a smoker and have not considered X as a possibility for me. I had no idea people on X would even consider smoking on their balconies. :eek: I thought that if they did, they'd be shackeled and dragged to the brig awaiting debarkation at the next port. And then fined an exhorbitant fee for doing so.

Apparently, the smokers on X don't care about the policies and just do as they please. That's really kinda sad as I know lots of non-smokers book X assuming they can lounge on their balconies without having to have so much as a whiff of smoke. Amazing...the human race continues to evolve backwards.

Problems with smoking on balconies are few, but of course they do happen from time to time. You're somewhat correct about the penalties-- first offense, a warning; second offense, a $250 cleaning fee; third offense, you're put off at the next port. Plus possiby another $250 cleaning fee, I'm not certain.

Most smokers on X do care about the smoking policy and willingly abide by it. It's those who either don't do enough research on the cruise line and/or don't read over the handout given when they board and/or don't pay attention to the "no smoking in stateroom/veranda" logo on their Seapass cards who are the main culprits, along with a minority who are aware of the policy but choose to disregard it.

Does anyone know for sure if X has the cameras? If they do, why on earth should I consider scolding my neighbors? Or be put in the position of monitoring them?

I applaud all of you who do, on this line. I never understood non smokers who tried to negotiate with smokers on CCL balconies, they have a right to smoke there on most lines. But that is not what I want from my first Celebrity AQ experience. I am looking forward to cruising with mannered folks and on a cruise line that does what it says it will. The smoking policy is also a contract of sorts with non smokers, or it is false advertising.

They don't have Big Brother closely monitoring every balcony 24 hours a day. Security camers in general are not high resolution, so they may not pick up solid evidence of a cigarette. The emergence of e-cigarettes would further confuse the situation, though for now it appears that Celebrity considers this to be a form of smoking, simply because it can too easily be confused with smoking. Also, many times the smoke can be detected by smell (thus the problem in the first place), and the smoker is far enough back in the balcony so as to remain out of sight.

Regarding "scolding my neighbors"-- as I mentioned in my post above this, many balcony smokers are just not aware. My approach would be to say, "I hate to mention this, but just so that you're aware, Celebrity's smoking policy doesn't permit smoking out here on the balcony." The reaction is likely to be "Sorry, I didn't realize that. I'll put it out." If the reaction is, "Well, that's too bad. I hope they don't catch me," I'll excuse myself, go into my cabin, and call Guest Services. If confronted by them later, I'll explain that we depend on the smoking policy due to health issues, and this is the primary reason we patronize Celebrity. While that visit from security might be embarrassing, it won't cost them anything, and it's the most effective way of getting their attention. I'd then suggest that if they feel that not being allowed to smoke on the balcony is a problem for them, they can choose from just about any other cruise line out there, but our choice is pretty much limited to Celebrity.

In an ideal world, it shouldn't be your job to report a smoker, just like it shouldn't be your job to report a drunk driver, even if it doesn't directly affect you. Especially since you're on vacation. But even if someone smoking on their balcony happens not to directly affect you, please help out your fellow cruisers (like my DW) who may depend on the enforcement of the smoking policy for their very health by calling Guest Services and letting them know.

Archived