Does Princess Provide a Bag for Shore Excursions

Aussie Gal

I can vaguely remember reading last year, a topic discussing whether Princess hands out a free bag for shore excursions like HAL and Celebrity.

I am wondering if I dreamt this or it does now happen. When we were last on Princess in May, 2010 on the Ocean Princess we did not receive a bag but I think I read that the policy has changed since then.

Am I correct?

Jennie

Coral,

Would it hold a few things like a towel and suntan lotion for when we are ashore? I am trying to cut down on bringing an extra bag for shore excursions and if it is anything like a HAL bag which is very thin but sturdy as you say, then that is one less item we need to pack.

Jennie

We just received the blue ones on our recent cruise. They are much like the recyclable shopping bags - thing and somewhat cheap looking vbut sturdy and do the trick. Chances are though that everyone else will be walking around with the same bag.

Chances are though that everyone else will be walking around with the same bag.

That doesn't worry me as when we have been on HAL we have always seen people carrying the bags. I really only need to use them when we are on Moorea and Bora Bora, when in the other ports we visit I can take a smaller bag.

Jennie

Coral,

Would it hold a few things like a towel and suntan lotion for when we are ashore? I am trying to cut down on bringing an extra bag for shore excursions and if it is anything like a HAL bag which is very thin but sturdy as you say, then that is one less item we need to pack.

Jennie

I just went to look at mine and can't find it.

From my memory from 3 weeks ago - it seemed big enough for 1 towel and accessories (book, suntan lotion) and still have plenty of room. It probably would hold 2 towels if you stuffed them in but there wouldn't be room for other things (it would be tight). They did give us 2 in our room for 2 people.

It does come across as similar to the ones I have received at Target and Trader Joe's that they give you to carry groceries.

On both my Crown cruise in September and my Sapphire cruise earlier this month, a blue bag was put in my cabin the first day or so. They're pretty cheap looking and feeling compared to the bags HAL gives you but they are big enough to hold a towel or two. They are open-topped so I wouldn't put anything valuable in them.

They now give everyone a blue Princess bag. It is thin/light weight but sturdy.

Here is a pic: http://cgi.ebay.com/Princess-Cruise-Line-Lightweight-Tote-Bag-New-/170595512343?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b848f017#ht_907wt_1141

Coral, when did they start this? I have never seen one of those before, and it hasn't been but about 7 months since our last cruise. But, I like em! ;)

Coral, when did they start this? I have never seen one of those before, and it hasn't been but about 7 months since our last cruise. But, I like em! ;)

You are asking me - my previous cruise before Christmas was 13 months earlier :)

I think I read that they started doing it this summer. We only got them on our first cruise, not on the 2nd on the B2B. Our room steward probably guessed we didn't need an additional 2 bags (no biggie).

Everyone does carry them around. The other lines do this - glad Princess started doing it also.

The Princess tote that DH and I received on the CB in September is similar to a "recyclable" shopping bag, but the fabric is practically translucent. The bag is barely large enough for a Princess beach towel. I didn't pack it for our upcoming cruise because I prefer the reversible totes that we won playing trivia :D

Boarding the Island Princess on Saturday!

Chris

You are asking me - my previous cruise before Christmas was 13 months earlier :)

I think I read that they started doing it this summer. We only got them on our first cruise, not on the 2nd on the B2B. Our room steward probably guessed we didn't need an additional 2 bags (no biggie).

Everyone does carry them around. The other lines do this - glad Princess started doing it also.

I figured it had to have been sometime in the last 6 months or so. I really like the idea, but I hadn't read or heard anything about it. Guess I am slipping here. Or else I need to knock off these longer cruises and take shorter ones more often. ;)

We received a blue bag in our cabin this past October on the Caribbean Princess and last February on the Grand Princess. I imagine they are still putting them in the rooms. It is big enough to carry a few things while ashore or for a beach bag.

Hi Jennie,

They sure do give them out now.

Our last cruise was B2B, Singapore to Sydney and Sydney to Auckland and we ended up with 4 .

As others had said they are just like the re-useable shopping bags they give out these days, and are not designed to last. OK for the beach , if a bit small.At some of our Ports of Call we were warned not to take them ashore, as they mark you as a tourist from the ship.

Windsor 26,

I think you will find that Princess has only introduced them in the past few months. We were on the Ocean Princess last May for 31 days and we didn't receive them then. It is certainly not a U.S. ship's based perk.

Jennie

We got a bag on our recent Tahiti cruise. Saw many others so I'm sure everyone got one. Altho I didn't use it during the cruise as we were generally schlepping snorkel gear, it's a nice little grocery bag. Nice gesture from Princess. Have heard for years about all the stuff HAL gives you.....

Archived