Deluxe suite or 2 balcony cruises?

m steve

Last Dec. we had a wonderful deluxe suite as the price was about what we usually pay for a balcony. I just wonder how many cruisers would rather take one cruise a year in a Deluxe suite or 2 in a balcony cabin. The cost for accomidations would be about the same although the extra onboard expenses will be more.

Our first two cruises were in deluxe verandah suites and we have progressed downward through our recent cruises to large inside cabins. For the price of a deluxe verandah suite we can sail on three inside cabin cruises. All we want now is to just get on the ship.

No brainer for us either, except that we would go on two cruises!

igraf

Last Dec. we had a wonderful deluxe suite as the price was about what we usually pay for a balcony. I just wonder how many cruisers would rather take one cruise a year in a Deluxe suite or 2 in a balcony cabin. The cost for accommodations would be about the same although the extra onboard expenses will be more.

Destinations matter more than onboard ambiance - we would take the two cruises over one.

Neptune lounge snacks and a larger room we only rarely used while we were awake would not make up for losing out on one more round of more destinations for us.

We loved the suite but it was not our the main travel focus. And actually we found the larger balcony did not matter much at all. I will miss access to the NL most of all for drop in snacks and quiet breakfasts, but as others pointed out these small perks came at a very high additional price. Even the "free" laundry is only a few extra dollars when contracting it outside the suite perks.

Plus the more trips we take, the sooner we get to 4 star Mariner and pick up at least some of the additional benefits anyway. The interior location of the Neptune Lounge with no sea views actually took away from some of the delight being on a sea going vessel - I spent less open deck time so it almost felt like I was in a land based hotel rather than a trip on the high seas.

However, the best of all possible worlds would be taking as many trips as possible ....... in a suite.

Has anyone considered having breakfast at the public premium coffee bar? I was wondering if they charged for the pastries at the coffee bar, or just for the coffee. This could be a viable alternative to a crowded lido buffet.

igraf

... I will miss access to the NL most of all for drop in snacks and quiet breakfasts, but as others pointed out these small perks came at a very high additional price. .

As long as I have a balcony, I'm fine on a cruise. I've sailed in suites on RC but last cruise with them had to get a "standard" balcony cabin because that was all that was available in handicap accessible. I was with my mom who is in a wheelchair so an HC type was a necessity. I missed some of the amenities and the cabin was a little smaller, although being HC it wasn't as small as usual. However, I enjoyed the cruise. For my first cruise on HAL I was in a B verandah cabin. The price difference between the B and S cabins was a little more than we were willing to pay. Again, the cabin seemed small but with the balcony, hubby and I did fine. For my HAL cruise in April, hubby and I booked an SC suite so we can compare it to RC's suites.

Taking two cruises a year isn't an option for me since hubby just switched jobs and is back to 2 weeks of vacation. :( If given a choice, I'd probably go with 2 cruises in a balcony vs. 1 in a suite.

Has anyone considered having breakfast at the public premium coffee bar? I was wondering if they charged for the pastries at the coffee bar, or just for the coffee. This could be a viable alternative to a crowded lido buffet.

igraf

Even the Neptune Lounge is only good enough for first breakfast. :rolleyes: Once Mrs. K's coffee takes hold I'm able to get her up to the Lido for second breakfast. :) Seriously though while we really like the Neptune Lounge that's not the reason we book deluxe suites, we just plain love the room and use it more than we've used smaller cabins. Our first deluxe was well beyond there was such a thing as the Neptune Lounge.

Destinations matter more than onboard ambiance - we would take the two cruises over one.

Neptune lounge snacks and a larger room we only rarely used while we were awake would not make up for losing out on one more round of more destinations for us.

We loved the suite but it was not our the main travel focus. And actually we found the larger balcony did not matter much at all. I will miss access to the NL most of all for drop in snacks and quiet breakfasts, but as others pointed out these small perks came at a very high additional price. Even the "free" laundry is only a few extra dollars when contracting it outside the suite perks.

Plus the more trips we take, the sooner we get to 4 star Mariner and pick up at least some of the additional benefits anyway. The interior location of the Neptune Lounge with no sea views actually took away from some of the delight being on a sea going vessel - I spent less open deck time so it almost felt like I was in a land based hotel rather than a trip on the high seas.

However, the best of all possible worlds would be taking as many trips as possible ....... in a suite.

Swiss Myst - Remember that the deluxe verandahs (and superiors) count for double mariner days so, really 2 cruises a year in a verandah or one in a deluxe (assuming same number of days total cruising) will give you the same number of Mariner days. :)

On the longer cruises, the suites are even nicer (especially transatlantics) We'd go for the longer cruise once a year and take the deluxe verandah suite.

Op, remember, there may be a halfway point. - if you have to choose - the Superior Verandah suite. not as big as the deluxe, not as small as a verandah - with a few perks, good real estate and a chance for a cheap upsell from the fairy :)

Due to dh's schedule, we usually can only do one a year (last year was a fluke :D) so we go for the longer itineraries and the deluxe verandah suites :)

Swiss Myst - Remember that the deluxe verandahs (and superiors) count for double mariner days so, really 2 cruises a year in a verandah or one in a deluxe (assuming same number of days total cruising) will give you the same number of Mariner days. :)

On the longer cruises, the suites are even nicer (especially transatlantics) We'd go for the longer cruise once a year and take the deluxe verandah suite.

Good points. Forgot about that double day suite bonus for Mariners which was very nice to get. Agree, the more sea days the more appealing the larger cabin and balcony space would be. Dream trip would be one of the circumnavigations ...... in a suite. And let's not even talk about the aft suites and the 180 degree views! The dream remains being in a room with more drawers and closet space than you would ever need. That is the suite life.

(Our last 42 day trip was in 132 sq feet - porthole. It was an endurance test but the itinerary made it ultimately worth every cramped quarter. Still would have been nice to have the best of both worlds: large room and long itinerary.)

Since my paid vacation time is at a premium, and I prefer 10-day+ cruises, I'm booked into Suites for the next two trips...

(and I need the closet space!)

Agreed. Time away is very difficult to arrange so we choose quality over quantity. Privacy, personal space and service are the order of the day. But as they say... to each their own.

Last Dec. we had a wonderful deluxe suite as the price was about what we usually pay for a balcony. I just wonder how many cruisers would rather take one cruise a year in a Deluxe suite or 2 in a balcony cabin. The cost for accomidations would be about the same although the extra onboard expenses will be more.

I would chose 2 Cruises. How many hours a day do you really spend in your Suite???? If you stayed there more than 6 hrs a day (not Night time) then take the Suite.

But that is strictly up to you.

Happy Cruising!:)

A Deluxe Suite (SA or PS)...one each year.

Same here, after we started booking deluxe suites, it is hard to go back to a veranda cabin. So I would rather book only one, if I had to. Luckily we can afford a deluxe suite, unfortunately... ....working gets in the way of cruising!

While I have never stayed in a deluxe suite...the superior suite was enough to win me over. I will take the one suite cruise a year. We had breakfast almost every morning on our balcony which had a table and chairs. I also love the full size couch in the suite and the jacuzzi tub. Ahhhh...the suite life.

Archived