What shoes do I wear for Cruising and excursions

timkins42

My wife and I have booked a first time cruise to Alaska in September. We have booked the excursions we want but I am concerned about what I should pack for footwear. We booked an excursion for a Helicopter ride with a landing on a Glacier and then a sled dog ride. What kind of shoe/sneaks or boots should I plan on packing? Will we need coats or sweatshirts to stay warm?

The tour operator will give you waterproof boots with ridges to help you walk on ice. These slip over your shoes, just like over sized gollashes. We didn't go on a sledding trip, but I'm guessing they would do the same. Try googling the tour operator for this info. We wore sneakers for the glacier landing and work boots when hiking in wooded areas. We sprayed both with waterproofing since it rains alot in Alaska, but didn't seem to have a wet shoe problem while we were there.

My wife and I have booked a first time cruise to Alaska in September. We have booked the excursions we want but I am concerned about what I should pack for footwear. We booked an excursion for a Helicopter ride with a landing on a Glacier and then a sled dog ride. What kind of shoe/sneaks or boots should I plan on packing? Will we need coats or sweatshirts to stay warm?

Yes you will need sweatshirts or jackets to keep warm in September in Alaska. My recommendation is to dress in layers. My first visit was the last cruise of the season, in Septemeber.

You may not need all these clothes everywhere or everyday, but sweatshirts, or better yet a hoodie, will feel very good when it's cool out. I used a warm vest (plush or quilted) then a hoodie and then a hooded rain/windbreaker over those. It rains or showered on and off a couple of days, espeically in the lower panhandle where they are known for high annual rainfalls. We brought unbrellas and back pack to stow all this gear in for shore excursions.

I did a helicopter excursion in Skagway in September... it was snowing part of the day but it was my most amazing excursion of 12 cruises. They gave us booties to put on which we essential and far better than anything we could have brought from home. Otherwise we wore good tread sneakers (me) or light hiking boots (DH).

I also had light cotton gloves (gardening or work type) which I was very thankful for in Glacier Bay and windy Skagway. I saw some very clever ladies who had on earmuffs - small to pack, so I thought that was good. I used a pull-on wool hat which was small and perfect.

My second visit was in late May with DH and 3 grandchildren. We used similar layering. In some places it was uncomfortably cold due to snow showers and wind, but other places it was quite warm and sunny, actually too warm for one of the grank daughters who asked to go back to the ship.

So be prepared for just about anything including rain showers (they call it wet sunshine!) and you'll have a great cruise. Otherwise you may be uncomfortable and not get to enjoy the truely amazing places you will visit and that would be sad.

I hope you have a great cruise and it's good to ask the questions ahead of time! You're in the right place here! Enjoy.

I did that tour in 2005 and it was fantastic! Well worth the cost. The helicopter will land near the dog camp which is on the glacier. I think I wore heavy-type shoes like work boots or snow boots. Sorry that I can't exactly remember. I was not provided any type of footwear but I went 5 years ago. The snow at the dog camp is very packed down so you wont "sink". During the sledding, we did stop a few times to switch mushers but had no problems walking around. Have a great time!

Hi,

You will never forget the helicopter tour. Did this over 9 yrs ago and still talk about how wonderful it was. You will need boots ( I used Timberland)snow jacket ( Landend/Columbia are good)gloves, hat & sunglasses. Note that when you fly you cannot take bags with you. A jacket/scottievest with multiple pockets for cameras,tissues,$ etc is your best bet. Your bags will be kept locked at the helicopter office.

This should be a highlight of your cruise-enjoy.

Carole

I also found layers to be the best for my two Alaska cruises. I did not bring a winter coat, but brought a mid-weight coat and sweatshirts. Vests are good as well. You should bring what you must have, but be advised that the Alaska ports have great shopping with alot of nice sweatshirts and jackets and so on if you have any interest.

Archived