Free hotel package

Lvtocruize2

We just received our new Regent cruise book and I know the "free hotel package" has been offered before. Never having taken advantage of this offer, I have a ?. Is it really FREE? I realize transfers are included but since they post the nightly rates for each hotel, are they paying for our hotel stay or not? Do we pay the nightly rates? I'm totally bumfuzzled! Is there anyone that can clarify?

As ChatKat says, you don't pay anything extra for the "free" hotel package. It is included in your cruise fare. However, since Regent will give you a credit of $300 per person if you decline the "free" hotel package, I submit that the package actually costs you $300 per person. IMHO in many cases, you will probably be better off declining the package and taking the credit.

Dave

If you should decide to use the Regent "FREE" air and hotel package

there are a few things that come with it if important to you.

With Free air Regent will pick you up when you arrive.

They will take you to the hotel and to the ship the next day.

Take you to airport when cruise is over.

As ChatKat says, you don't pay anything extra for the "free" hotel package. It is included in your cruise fare. However, since Regent will give you a credit of $300 per person if you decline the "free" hotel package, I submit that the package actually costs you $300 per person. IMHO in many cases, you will probably be better off declining the package and taking the credit.

Dave

We booked this trip quite a while ago and if memory serves me correctly, it was prior to Regent offering the free hotel package. We have already deviated by going into our embarking port 2 days early so can we still decline the free hotel and get a credit???

For those of us who like to eat, you also get "free" breakfast at the hotel - hotel breakfasts are notoriously expensive>

True! We stayed at the Waldorf Astoria several years ago (2004) twice both times to sail on the Navigator - once to Canada and once to Bermuda. Once we took Regent's package and once we did our own. Buffet breakfast was $25 plus tips per person on our own. Not a fancy brunch. Just eggs, toast fruit and juice. By now it must be $40. In Venice, the breakfast at the Westin was $60 US per person.

Lvtocruize2, if you booked before they introduced the free hotel package you will find that it probably doesn't apply to you. We are in the same position on our July Baltic cruise and when my TA asked about this she was told that prices had gone up since we booked, presumably to cover the hotel stays. We made our own hotel arrangements for a day before the cruise in Stockholm and two days after in Copenhagen.

If you booked prior to October 1st (believe that was the date), you are not entitled to anything in terms of the hotel (I know this from experience with our recent cruise). Many people seem to prefer booking their own hotels. When we take luxury cruise vacations, we love it when Regent/Silversea does everything for us. Regent selects beautiful hotels -- perhaps a bit more costly, but, IMO worth it.

For the $600 credit you get for not using the hotel package you can book a hotel and transfer yourself for less. They call the hotels deluxe but you won't be in a Four Seasons, more likely a four star hotel for which Regent pays $150. Anything for which you can get a credit when not used is never free.

For the $600 credit you get for not using the hotel package you can book a hotel and transfer yourself for less. They call the hotels deluxe but you won't be in a Four Seasons, more likely a four star hotel for which Regent pays $150. Anything for which you can get a credit when not used is never free.

You're correct. . . it won't be a Four Seasons. However, in November we'll be in the Intercontinental de la Ville in Rome -- near the Spanish steps. Not bad. We could pay less for a hotel and transfer in many cities. . . but, not necessarily in Rome. This particular hotel would cost $410 - $480 per night (mid-category room) I suppose it depends how far the city is from the port. It costs between $150 - $180 to transfer from Rome to the port.

Things seem to be changing again. In the January, 2011 brochure (received today), the hotel being used for Penthouse and above in Rome is the Westin Excelsior. There is also a notation "Book Before March 31, Prices Subject to Increase April 1). Is Regent planning on increasing prices every three months? Sorry to stray off topic.

Who knows what they will do, Jackie. Have you actually costed this out, checked rates at a couple of hotels and looked at the prices of transfers? I'm still betting you could do better, although I admit it's no biggy.

Thanks for the list Dave, was hoping to find San Francisco on this list, but don't see it. I'm pretty sure we'll deviate anyways, but I was just curious.

Archived