NCL Travel Insurance - Terrorism?

slavearlen

Does anyone know if the NCL travel insurance includes acts of terrorism? We are booked for the NCL Epic to Barcelona and Italy. World uprises are constantly on the rise and unpredictable so it's something we should consider.

Your question is very broad. I don't think terrorism in general will create a claim if you decide to cancel a cruise. Even if a specific act of terrorism takes place in a country you plan to visit will not likely allow cancellation of a trip resulting in trip insurance paying off. For example, recently a suicide bomber killed many in the same Moscow airport the we will be flying into next August for a river cruise.

On the other hand, if you have a trip to Egypt scheduled for the present or next few days, I expect that trip insurance may help you out. Still, you can go to the NCL website and download the terms of the trip insurance.

Now I have another question. I understand an act of terrorism would most likely be covered, however, travel insurance isn't really 'in effect' until paid for in full so if you have just elected to buy the insurance but haven't paid for it until final payment and it's a cruise to the Egyptian area would the policy be in effect if travel was delayed or canceled to the area?

As others have said, different companies offer different policies, and you need to read them carefully. For example, my Travel Guard policy for an upcoming trip includes coverage for a "Terrorist Incident," but that is very carefully defined as "an act of violence that is deemed terrorism by the United States Government other than civil disorder or riot (that is not an act of war, declared or undeclared) that results in loss of life or majory damage to property, by any person acting on behalf of or in connection with any organization which [sic] is generally recognized as having the intent to overthrow or influence the control of any government."

Not all policies cover terrorism. And there are definitely limitations in the definition and what would actually be covered. Also, some only include this coverage if the policy is paid for within 7-21 days from your first payment on the vacation. (Usually your cruise deposit.)

As always, research and compare policies. If you're inclined to buy the cruiseline insurance compare it to other coverage, and make the full payment on the insurance at the time you make your deposit.

No insurance is in effect until it's paid for in full. The cruiselines don't collect your insurance premium until you make final payment. Most pre-existing condition waivers and some other riders like terrorism and financial default/bankruptcy of the cruiselines/airlines may also not be covered if not paid for in full shortly after making your deposit. In my opinion, you lose much of the most valuable coverage if you don't buy the policy shortly after making your deposit.

Now I have another question. I understand an act of terrorism would most likely be covered, however, travel insurance isn't really 'in effect' until paid for in full so if you have just elected to buy the insurance but haven't paid for it until final payment and it's a cruise to the Egyptian area would the policy be in effect if travel was delayed or canceled to the area?

If you haven't made final payment, can't you cancel and have your deposit refunded?

Archived