Movies under the stars- Crown Princess

eandx

Princess will send out an e-mail shortly before your cruise that will give the list of the movies. We leave this Saturday and I know they will be showing Secretariat but I can't remember the what the other movies were going to be.

I'm curious why you'd want to know that. After all, until you get the Patters, you won't be able to plan your day around specific movie showings anyway. So are you planning not to rent those films or see them in theaters before your cruise? To me, MUTS is one of the worst ways to view a film that I really want to see. In the daytime, sunlight often washes out the screen. Even at night, there are often plenty of distractions. And the sound is booming but iffy. The only things I've enjoyed seeing on MUTS are rock concerts (and Princess does seem to show the same few ones over and over and over again) and what I'd call "enjoyable junk," like Mamma Mia! The rest is just background noise.

I'm curious why you'd want to know that. After all, until you get the Patters, you won't be able to plan your day around specific movie showings anyway. So are you planning not to rent those films or see them in theaters before your cruise? To me, MUTS is one of the worst ways to view a film that I really want to see. In the daytime, sunlight often washes out the screen. Even at night, there are often plenty of distractions. And the sound is booming but iffy. The only things I've enjoyed seeing on MUTS are rock concerts (and Princess does seem to show the same few ones over and over and over again) and what I'd call "enjoyable junk," like Mamma Mia! The rest is just background noise.

Wow, you really need a vacation!

Just a tip..

Whatever the evening movie is showing on MUTS will be showing again on the TV in your cabin starting the next day.

So don't worry if you miss it on MUTS, you can still catch it later-on in your cabin

Srpilo

Wow, you really need a vacation!

Actually, thanks, but just had one. On board the still-MUTSless Sapphire, where I was able to hang out by the pool or eat lunch outdoors on Lido deck without having to filter out the omnipresent soundtrack of the last half hour of some banal Jennifer Aniston rom com that I would never, ever want to see.

But I do stand corrected; apparently a great way to see a serious (or even semi-serious) film is with people constantly walking in front of you, the soundtrack being interrupted by captain's announcements, yelling kids splashing in the pool, and a waiter asking if you want anything to drink. :)

• 1 year later...

nevermind

Edited by Paula_MacFan
just realized this thread is OLD

Is there no adults only pool on the Sapphire? I don't recall children running around and captains announcements being made during the nighttime MUTS.

Actually, thanks, but just had one. On board the still-MUTSless Sapphire, where I was able to hang out by the pool or eat lunch outdoors on Lido deck without having to filter out the omnipresent soundtrack of the last half hour of some banal Jennifer Aniston rom com that I would never, ever want to see.

But I do stand corrected; apparently a great way to see a serious (or even semi-serious) film is with people constantly walking in front of you, the soundtrack being interrupted by captain's announcements, yelling kids splashing in the pool, and a waiter asking if you want anything to drink. :)

In general, I agree with you. I've never had a good MUTS experience. Either the sound was awful or the movie was. Plus, the sound can be way too loud. Eating lunch or dinner in the area is enough to put you off your appetite. One cruise, they were playing Wii games with only a very few people watching. Maybe 6-7 but lots of people trying to enjoy a meal there because the inside was packed. I'm not a fan.

Just a tip..

Whatever the evening movie is showing on MUTS will be showing again on the TV in your cabin starting the next day.

So don't worry if you miss it on MUTS, you can still catch it later-on in your cabin

Srpilo

On the CB in November the movies were shown simulcast in the stateroom.

I'm on the Ruby Feb 10-17 and just got an email saying our MUTS will be Lincoln and Argo... so I'm happy! :D

(On a funny memory, we did a Carnival cruise once where the only channels on the tv were the irritating diamond sales, the view from the bridge, and 4 channels of Meryl Streep in Mama Mia-- ALL 4 IN SPANISH. *groan*)

I'm on the Ruby Feb 10-17 and just got an email saying our MUTS will be Lincoln and Argo... so I'm happy! :D

That's awesome; they're both still in theatres! And I'm anxious to see them both before the Oscars ceremony at the end of the month, but I hate, hate, hate going to the movies. I guess in the absence of a dvd release, my only choice is to take a cruise on the Ruby in February . . . .

If only I could. Drat; why couldn't spring break be next month and not March??!!

Now I don't want this to be another "MUTS--good or bad?" post. But I am wondering if I am missing the boat on this subject. When coming up with "stuff I need to plan real carefully in advance so as not to spoil my cruise" making sure that I haven't already seen any of the movies playing onboard doesn't even come close to making my list. (And in the weeks leading up to going on vacation, I hardly will have time to watch a movie anyway) But based on the number of "what's playing on MUTS?" threads I must be in the minority for not worrying about it. :confused:

Edited by fishywood

• 3 years later...

I will be interested in Dec when we go to know. We love to sit under the blankets and watch, eat warm cookies and have milk. The best time we had at MUTS was crossing the equator in heavy rain, so heavy you couldn't see the screen. We laughed a lot but the movie isn't important, it's the time together, holding hands and enjoying a vacation.:D

I will be interested in Dec when we go to know. We love to sit under the blankets and watch, eat warm cookies and have milk. The best time we had at MUTS was crossing the equator in heavy rain, so heavy you couldn't see the screen. We laughed a lot but the movie isn't important, it's the time together, holding hands and enjoying a vacation.:D

Even though this is an old thread we were just on the Crown for 10 days and sad to say no more warm cookies and milk.

Wow! I agree -- I really like MUTS both on sunny days by the pool and at night.

Or on a cool (cold?) evening. Remember watching Skyfall during an Inside Passage cruise with about half a dozen other hardy souls. Had 4 or 5 layers on a wrapped up in several blankets... bar was serving hot toddies and Irish coffees :) Great fun... Hic!