Carnival may not be Walmart of the Seas, but is it Southwest of the Seas?

gargoyle999

Now thats a very interesting point, bring up foreign labor .. which Carnival is famous for how to get around laws in the U.S. by using a foreign flag. They dont hire in the U.S. at all (I mean for the crap jobs, not the entertainers and bosses).. if you are holding them up as being better employees because of their wages, where Carnival (and others) depend on tips to make up most of the salaries .. Carnival doesnt seem to look so good on that score to me.

G'ma .. you are such a cheerleader.

All the more reason for passengers/guests to treat the cabin stewards and every employee they come in contact with respect and appreciation isn't it? Cruises may be the last "good service" industry in the nation in terms of how far they go to try and make our memory wonderful, even with bad luck. They have to cut costs to make it yet you'd never know it by the employees. I am always amazed that even if wages are not that great, cruise employees treat everyone from honeymooners to retirees to hard working people on vacation, to mom, dad and kids with great care. I never resent tipping because it still amazes me.

What an odd and humorous post.

OP cannot possibly compare the new Magic with an older ship...............

Well, I will disagree with you on that. The Ruby Princess is still a farily new ship (Princess' newest and about two years old) and generally prices out higher than the Magic or the Dream for 7-day Caribbean cruises leaving on similar dates.

I would bet that Wal*Mart treats its employees much better than Carnival does. These cruise line employees (waiters, stewards, etc.) are actually contract employees working for lower wages than would be allowed in US businesses and not subject to US payroll laws.

Now thats a very interesting point, bring up foreign labor .. which Carnival is famous for how to get around laws in the U.S. by using a foreign flag. They dont hire in the U.S. at all (I mean for the crap jobs, not the entertainers and bosses).. if you are holding them up as being better employees because of their wages, where Carnival (and others) depend on tips to make up most of the salaries .. Carnival doesnt seem to look so good on that score to me.

LOL! So true!

It is my understanding that Carnival put an end to that practice as well about 5 months ago.

TAs can now only give a "nonminal" gift (wine or small OBC $25)...but no more flat kick backs of commission.

This is my understanding as well. I got some real good OBC from my TA on several Carnival cruises but that was before the change.

A friend of my wife just booked a Carnival cruise with the TA I use. I'm waiting to find out if she got any price reduction or OBC or paid same as booking direct.

What I found with the pricing of Carnival Cruises is that in general they are much cheaper than other lines. However, on occasion I found comparable prices on better (in my opinion) lines - RCI, Princess and Celebrity - on similar itineraries and days. This only was the case on one or two occasions. I don't think I ever found anything much cheaper than Carnival. And I looked ;)

I only cruise during high demand months (NY and summer) because of the kids and in majority of the cases Carnival beats other lines hands down on price. I can cruise Carnival twice a year vs. other lines once a year.

As far as NCL is concerned, I personally would never cruise that line unless I was in a suite. I think NCL is a Wallmart of cruising for non-suit passengers.

As far as quality of the cruising - I do think that Carnival is an inferior line to RCI, Princess and Celebrity. But.... for the price I am paying, Carnival offers a great product.

Just my humble opinion

We have snobby friends who know we cruise on Carnival tell us to our face that only Low Class people cruise on Carnival. The irony is, this couple are complete Boors and I suspect fit right in with the other Cruise Line Snobs! One reason I have not tried another cruise line.

But.... for the price I am paying, Carnival offers a great product.

I agree with this.

Perhaps Carnival is better for when we want to do inside or balcony but I'll need to look at other lines for suites.

Maybe I'm just upset that I have had a few aft wrap suites on Carnival but there was no butler like I would have on NCL. :p

We have snobby friends who know we cruise on Carnival tell us to our face that only Low Class people cruise on Carnival. The irony is, this couple are complete Boors and I suspect fit right in with the other Cruise Line Snobs! One reason I have not tried another cruise line.

You think they are complete boors and they know you sail Carnival and tell you to your face that only low class people cruise on Carnival........

Friends:confused: Ok what am I missing here:p

I had only cruised Carnival until last November, due to the fact of Carnival being cheapest for the ports we wanted to visit, however, when looking for our Anniversary cruise this year, RCCL was cheaper, so we went with them to try it out...after all, you never know until you go. ;) I knew I wanted one that went to Jamaica and wanted to try a balcony, so I narrowed it down based on TOTAL price (cruise fare, cost to get to port, pre-post cruise hotel fee) to RCCL Navigator and Carnival Freedom (I think it was freedom :))

We ended up going with a balcony room on Navigator, because it was a little cheaper, and gave us the chance to see what else was out there.

When it comes to booking cruises, IMO its about deciding what is most important to you, and then compare from there. I was not disappointed by either line. Different, yes, but I'm sure there are pluses and minuses about every ship in every fleet from every company. Even within the Carnival fleet, there are certain ships that I like better than others, but I'd choose being on a ship on vacation any day than being at work ;);)

What an odd and humorous post.

OP cannot possibly compare the new Magic with an older ship....nor the Dream with an older ship.

If you wish to compare' date=' do it apples to apples, not apples to oranges. Heck, the ships aren't even close.....

As for WN? I fly them almost exclusively from Philly. And, I don't mind a connection. They have the best ontime record in the industry.

They DO have the lowest fares...but you have to start early and be vigilant when checking fares....and be ready to actually BUY when the price is right.

Sooner or later, out of Philly, the "other" carriers do a price match with WN....but very few seats made available..and usually on the most undesirable flights.

As for Carnival and WalMart...they are nothing alike. WalMart is a company that treats their employees like crap, mostly sell Chinese junk and use forced labor/child labor in China where manufacturing/distribution costs them next to nothing.... I wouldn't step foot in one of their stores..never have, never will.

Carnival, on the other hand.................[/quote']

Um, where do you think most of the materials, souvenirs and equipment aboard your beloved Carnival ships come from? If you want to avoid contact with materials made from cheap labor in China - well, I would say stay home, but you can't even do it there!

Second, you're right, it is not apples to apples. Ruby Princess is so much more beautiful and comfortable compared to the Dream.

Third, CCL does not always have the lowest fares, as shown by case after case quoted here.

If Carnival is not the Walmart of the seas, then why does every third topic in this forum ask about dressing like the cable guy in the MDR, smuggling booze on board, breaking other rules about hot tubs & kids, appliances, etc. and how can a cruiser wring another $25 OBC out of CCL?

I hardly see these topics talked about in the other cruiseline forums here on CC. And this is from a platinum CCL.

I don't mind comparing CCL to Walmart, both are industry leaders with often but not always the lowest prices. Southwest is also a leader in it's field and a bargain often but not always for air travel. If you like CCL cruise it, or if you like another line cruise it. I think CCL gives me the most vacation cruise product for my $ and that's why I'm platinum with CCL. I've cruised other lines too and still prefer CCL.

It would be nice if they were the Jet Blue of cruise lines. Jet Blue flys many of the same routes as SW but has nicer planes and better service with the same pricing in most markets. Classier product for the same money!

I don't think the Dream and Dawn are comparable ships, but if you are cruising for the ports and not the ship, then Dawn may be the right choice for you -

I've cruised 3 lines, liked them all, would cruise on any of them again, but when cruising with the whole family, CCL usually meets our needs the best - but I do look at all my options before booking.

What I found with the pricing of Carnival Cruises is that in general they are much cheaper than other lines. However, on occasion I found comparable prices on better (in my opinion) lines - RCI, Princess and Celebrity - on similar itineraries and days. This only was the case on one or two occasions. I don't think I ever found anything much cheaper than Carnival. And I looked ;)

I only cruise during high demand months (NY and summer) because of the kids and in majority of the cases Carnival beats other lines hands down on price. I can cruise Carnival twice a year vs. other lines once a year.

As far as NCL is concerned, I personally would never cruise that line unless I was in a suite. I think NCL is a Wallmart of cruising for non-suit passengers.

As far as quality of the cruising - I do think that Carnival is an inferior line to RCI, Princess and Celebrity. But.... for the price I am paying, Carnival offers a great product.

Just my humble opinion

NCL is absolutely not the Walmart of anything. I like NCL better in some things than Carnival and I like Carnival for other things more than NCL. NCL can be a little more expensive but they do have some benefits I enjoy. I cruise both because they are subtly different. Neither disappoint me and both compare well with other lines.

But here is the thing...what makes saying NCL is the Walmart of cruising any different than saying that about Carnival? Neither deserve that kind of remark and there is little difference between lines just better fits for individual taste imo.

Comparing Carnival to Southwest would be a very unfortunate thing . Carnival already has a hard time shedding the "party cruise line" and "wal mart" stereotypes. Southwest has to deal with the "for every full Southwest flight, there's an empty trailer park somewhere" stereotype.

I think that people that come up with these comparisons are either loyalists who feel threatened by the competition's success, or people who have nothing better to do than to make smarta$$ statements...

Comparing Carnival to Southwest would be a very unfortunate thing . Carnival already has a hard time shedding the "party cruise line" and "wal mart" stereotypes. Southwest has to deal with the "for every full Southwest flight, there's an empty trailer park somewhere" stereotype.

I think that people that come up with these comparisons are either loyalists who feel threatened by the competition's success, or people who have nothing better to do than to make smarta$$ statements...

Not sure of the list but what is funny about it is Carnival owns other lines, or have owned, like Holland America Line, Princess Cruise and Seabourn Cruise Line, P&O Cruises, Cunard Line and Ocean Village in the United Kingdom; AIDA in Germany; Costa Cruises in southern Europe; Iberocruceros in Spain; and P&O Cruises in Australia.

I cruised on one of those and was able to use my Carnival Spirit number for a discount on pricing on that line too. I think many cruisers just like to show that their choice is the best choice. I don't think they realise how it reads to say those things.

Oh I just so disagree about Southwest. I can fly soooooooooo much cheaper from where I live, they also have one of the very best on time rates and I don't pay for luggage.

Although I do agree they cost more flying to Mn, cause I've priced them since my husband often flies to Mn/StP for business.

I think Carnival can be very reasonable or about the same as others depending on what you're looking at. I actually cruise for the ports and value, not the line. But Carnival usually has a better price on the cruises I look at (mainly Carib) So typically I go with them.

Cheers, Carole

Carnival is not an American business. It simply calls on American ports. They do not hire Americans.

As for "getting around" federal laws...well, ALL cruise lines do that. There is only ONE major ship registered in America....the one that cruises Hawaii...NCL owns it, I believe.

As for the international crew, they are paid a living wage, working conditions and chance for promotion are very nice, meals and board are included. They have vacation every year...and, they have the option to NOT work on a cruise ship or to leave anytime they wish.

There is nothing that can be said in support of WalMarts practices both here and in China... I'm amazed that anyone in our country would patronize them.

But, then again, we aren't real interested in the injustice and suffering in parts of our world...especially our global partners. As long as it isn't us, we don't care.

Well, I will disagree with you on that. The Ruby Princess is still a farily new ship (Princess' newest and about two years old) and generally prices out higher than the Magic or the Dream for 7-day Caribbean cruises leaving on similar dates.

I would bet that Wal*Mart treats its employees much better than Carnival does. These cruise line employees (waiters, stewards, etc.) are actually contract employees working for lower wages than would be allowed in US businesses and not subject to US payroll laws.

No cruise ship is American excetp the one doing Hawaii. They are international companies registered in other countries....and they call on US ports.

The crew makes good money, room and board is included, vacation every year, good chance for promotions...and, they don't HAVE to work if they don't wish to work..They can quit or not sign up.

The Chinese are forced to work...and, there is no minimum age. WalMart has buddied up with the Chinese government to use forced labor, including children and the aged. All to improve their bottom line..

WalMart is the worst in our country..... I can understand working there if you need a job or if your skills aren't diverse. It's beyond me why anyone would shop there knowing how the company operates in China.

I couldn't sleep at night if I did....

Um, where do you think most of the materials, souvenirs and equipment aboard your beloved Carnival ships come from? If you want to avoid contact with materials made from cheap labor in China - well, I would say stay home, but you can't even do it there!

Second, you're right, it is not apples to apples. Ruby Princess is so much more beautiful and comfortable compared to the Dream.

Third, CCL does not always have the lowest fares, as shown by case after case quoted here.

Carnival ships are built and outfitted by European ship builders...

I DO avoid Chinese made products.... I don't buy anything made there at all unless it is something critical I must have and the only place it's manufactured is China.

Nothing in my kitchen, my bedroom, my living room or bath is made in China. With a little effort, and a willingness to pay more for an item, it's quite easy to avoid Chinese products.

Most, however, are lookng for the bottom line price., Where it comes from or how it's made is irrelevant.

Meanwhile......our manufacturing jobs are shipped overseas...many to China...who is enjoying a booming economy and will overtake the US in about 20 years as economic leader..thereby basically running things.

We are hanging ourselves by our own pitard.

Man I love G'ma ............she may be the mistress of misinformation but God she's enthusiastic about it..........cheers to you as I drink down my smuggled rum which was poured into a monkey head ( made in China.....out you go ):D:D:D

Do your homework before you book, not after. Personally I like all the cruise lines but my wife puts Carnival last on her list. We go Carnival the most because I usually find the deals so much better. To me it's not worth paying the extra 5-7 hundred dollars (for 2) to do another line with the same ports.

Archived