Which Ports Have the Best Shopping

dstables

We are lst time cruisers sailing on the Grand Princess February 14 for 14 days. We visit the following ports. Aruba, Curacao, Grenada, Barbados, St. Vincent, St. Kitts, St. Thomas, Santo Domingo and Grand Turks. Which of these ports have the best shopping? Also are the gifts shops on Princess Cruise Lines as well priced as the ports?

We are lst time cruisers sailing on the Grand Princess February 14 for 14 days. We visit the following ports. Aruba, Curacao, Grenada, Barbados, St. Vincent, St. Kitts, St. Thomas, Santo Domingo and Grand Turks. Which of these ports have the best shopping? Also are the gifts shops on Princess Cruise Lines as well priced as the ports?

You will find pretty much the same stores in every port. Prices aren't all that great anymore on the islands for anything other than your basic souvenirs. Jewelry really isn't all that much cheaper. Stores on ships aren't all that either. Some overpriced jewelry, logo shirts, booze and cigarettes.

Very poor selection of shops on St Kitts & St Vincent, fairly limited on Grenada, more expensive on Curacao.

Barbados duty-free cruise terminal your best bet for booze & smokes, decent selection of shops in Bridgetown tho' prices generally seem to have risen there in the past couple of years.

Aruba - lots of easy shopping, though in pretty bland modern cloned malls, every other shop is a jewellers.

Can't help with the others, but I believe St Thomas is a bit of a shopping mecca.

JB

Great shops in aruba at the Hacienda Mall. Fun and unique shops down at the high rise area of the island. You will need to take a 5 minute cab ride off the ship to get to the area. Its much better than the downtown area that only has high end shops. Get in the cab and head down. Great little eateries. Cabs are easy to find for the return and plentiful. No need to worry !

• 2 months later...

Guys, the Caribbean is IMHO, a lot of hype. Some of the best bargains are to be found in Andalucia and Barcelona. Their economy is shot to pieces and they are just desperate to sell cheap. In this regard, I recommend:

1. Seville for the cheapest wines on the planet.

2. Cordoba and Granada for some beautiful handmade Spanish souvenirs.

3. Valencia for Lladro porcelain at giveaway prices.

4. Tangiers for the best deals on rugs anywhere compared to Turkey and Eastern Europe.

5. Gibraltar, oh boy Gibraltar. This place is LOADED with bargains. The CHEAPEST cigarettes, the LOWEST prices on Breitling, Omega, Tag and Rolex, the best bargaining I have ever seen. Perfumes are literally half the UK price. Diamonds are CRAZY cheap (but only buy from authorised Diamond Boutiques, you'll see why when you get there) Duty-free and Tax-Free prices abound and they take Sterling without any foreign exchange. STRONGLY Recommended.

6. Malaga for Pablo Picasso stuff.

7. Mallorca for superb cakes, handicrafts and giftware.

8. Madrid for Spanish Toledo jewellery - amazing.

Guys, to hell with the Caribbean, go visit Spain and see what's cooking...

Holborn Hound.

The best shopping is on the internet! We are serious. If you are looking for fine jewelry, electronics, and even good clothes you will find the best prices on the internet. About the only real bargain left in the Caribbean is liquor where one can truly save a lot of money (at least 30%) on more expensive types of booze. We are not sure that buying inexpensive booze is worth the hassle, but if you buy high end items like XO Cognacs the savings can be amazing. St Thomas has the best overall booze deals because US Customs regulations allow you to bring back 5 bottles per person totally duty free (you can bring a 6th bottle if made in the USVI). On the other hand, St Maarten has the best prices (they have lower local taxes then in the USVI) but you do have the hassle of having to pay US Duty on anything beyond 1 liter per person.

We have been to many different countries (more then 80) and think that the best shopping we have found outside the US is in China. If you know where to go, the bargains in Beijing are almost beyond belief. For example, North Face outerware can often be found in Beijing for about 1/3 the US price. As to jewelry, you will find some of the best pearl prices in the world in Beijing (try Sharon's at the Pearl Market).

Hank

The only thing that I can recommend in the Caribbean is if you go to St. Kitts, Nevis or St. Lucia is the batik clothing from Caribelle. Beautiful, unique and durable - I've has some pieces for 15 years. Since its the only place you can get it I always make a stop. They used to have wonderful clothes at Pusser's in St. George's harbor on Grenada, but hurricane Ivan took care of that.

Otherwise I have to agree with the other posters. There is not much that is different in the Caribbean that you cannot obtain online.

I have bought in Gibraltar only last year. Very satisfied with price and with service. I recommend Main Street for good diamond and for Swiss watch tax free. My wife and me like to shop for bargains but we were not happy with Spain or the Caribbean. I only now buy in Turkey, in Thailand and in Gibraltar.

Only thing in Gibraltar - pay by credit card, don't use cash the exchange not good.

Jakoub

I have bought in Gibraltar only last year. Very satisfied with price and with service. I recommend Main Street for good diamond and for Swiss watch tax free. My wife and me like to shop for bargains but we were not happy with Spain or the Caribbean. I only now buy in Turkey, in Thailand and in Gibraltar.

Only thing in Gibraltar - pay by credit card, don't use cash the exchange not good.

Jakoub

Archived