Princess Pop Choir

cruzinchris

DH and I are currently onboard the Island Princess and participated in the Princess Pop Choir that performed in the Atrium yesterday. This new Princess activity is great fun, so I'd like to share some information about the experience.

In preparation for our afternoon performance on a sea day, there were three rehearsals. Our instructor was Joe Sackenheim who is one of the lead vocalists onboard. Joe is charismatic, energetic, and very supportive of the passengers who opted to participate in the Pop Choir. We lost a few passengers after the first and second rehearsals but ended up with a group of 15, mostly women.

We received "scripts" with the lyrics for six selections that included: Oh, What A Night, Waterloo, Isn't She Lovely, It's Not Unusual, We Are the Champions, and Sweet Caroline. Joe coached our singing and taught simple choreography for each song. We were asked to wear black/white attire for our performance that was attended by about 100 passengers on various levels of the Atrium.

Whether you are a polished vocalist or sing in the shower, have had years of ballet training or two left feet, you will have enjoy participating in Princess Pop Choir. The program will soon be offered fleetwide, and musical selections will be rotated approximately every six months.

"Glee"fully yours,

Chris and Mike in Michigan

DH and I are currently onboard the Island Princess and participated in the Princess Pop Choir that performed in the Atrium yesterday. This new Princess activity is great fun, so I'd like to share some information about the experience.

In preparation for our afternoon performance on a sea day, there were three rehearsals. Our instructor was Joe Sackenheim who is one of the lead vocalists onboard. Joe is charismatic, energetic, and very supportive of the passengers who opted to participate in the Pop Choir. We lost a few passengers after the first and second rehearsals but ended up with a group of 15, mostly women.

We received "scripts" with the lyrics for six selections that included: Oh, What A Night, Waterloo, Isn't She Lovely, It's Not Unusual, We Are the Champions, and Sweet Caroline. Joe coached our singing and taught simple choreography for each song. We were asked to wear black/white attire for our performance that was attended by about 100 passengers on various levels of the Atrium.

Whether you are a polished vocalist or sing in the shower, have had years of ballet training or two left feet, you will have enjoy participating in Princess Pop Choir. The program will soon be offered fleetwide, and musical selections will be rotated approximately every six months.

"Glee"fully yours,

Thanks for the info. I hope they have it on the Star which we board on the 23rd.

"Glee"fully yours,

We did this on the January 9th cruise on the Island. Unfortunately, I developed laryngitis so I could not perform but my DG did. It was a lot of fun and Joe was great. We also did this on the Royal in November. We really enjoyed it.

"Glee"fully yours,

We did this on my last cruise on the Crown (Jan 15-22). We sang the same songs. We were also instructed to wear black and white. It was so much fun. I don't sing and consider myself fairly shy and I had a blast. I hope they have it on my next cruise.

I was involved with the Pop Chior on the Grand in November. SOOOO much fun. We performed during the White Party on the Lido deck at night.

We sang the same songs as you. I'm guessing it's the same CD throughout the line. Jimmy Lee was our 'director'. Even if you can't really sing it's still a great time for all.

76885101500980221613545.jpg

Our daughter-in-law and our neighbor’s daughter participated on the Jan 15-22 cruise of the Sapphire Princess, singing the same songs. The ratio of women to men was 4 to 1. Participants were asked to wear black over black which made it easier for women who could wear black dresses.

Jim

Sounds great, I am a member of 'Sing Australia Choir' and am on Star for 29 days, shortly. What a way to go around South America, sing, sing, sing !, good for the heart and soul! Do you reckon all Princess ships would get a choir going? particularly on the longer cruises.

Edited by NSWP

Sounds great, I am a member of 'Sing Australia Choir' and am on Star for 29 days, shortly. What a way to go around South America, sing, sing, sing !, good for the heart and soul! Do you reckon all Princess ships would get a choir going? particularly on the longer cruises.

Hey Les, I do some singing too. I hope our cruise is going to do it.

Program was also on the Emerald Princess in December. Same songs, but led by one of the CD staff. I liked the fact they use the rehearsal tapes for the stage shows, but was disappointed there were not more opportunities for harmonies. The reheasal was fun, though.

Just want to reiterate what cruzinchris stated in her OP. Pop Choir is great fun regardless of whether you have singing and dancing experience like she does or only sing in the shower and have two left feet like me.

For those of you asking about other ships, the Choir is schedule to be on all ships by the end of the month with the Dawn likely to be the last.

Our performance was featured in the Reflections video and we weren't overly embarrassed.

Happy Singing,

Mike

Hi all.

We just got back this morning from our trip on SeaP. and they had the pop choir on the afternoon on the 1st sea day in the atrium.

It was great fun to listen to (they were very good - covered everything from Abba to the classics) and the dance routines were excellent to watch-- from funny to talented. The pax. who took part appeared to be having a great time as did everyone watching

Princess gifted all the participants a professionally done photograph near the end of the cruise(heard the announcement advising them to go to the photo area to collect )

Elaine

Hi all.

We just got back this morning from our trip on SeaP. and they had the pop choir on the afternoon on the 1st sea day in the atrium.

It was great fun to listen to (they were very good - covered everything from Abba to the classics) and the dance routines were excellent to watch-- from funny to talented. The pax. who took part appeared to be having a great time as did everyone watching

Princess gifted all the participants a professionally done photograph near the end of the cruise(heard the announcement advising them to go to the photo area to collect )

Elaine

I have already planned to include the suggestion to offer a complimentary group photo for Pop Choir participants in my cruise survey. Our group requested a photo and made arrangements to meet with a photographer after the performance last cruise on the Island Princess. The picture was $24.95; we didn't purchase a copy, nor did we buy the DVD that featured the entire performance. Personally, I would have preferred the photo, but we had a "Champagne" reception instead.

Chris

I have already planned to include the suggestion to offer a complimentary group photo for Pop Choir participants in my cruise survey. Our group requested a photo and made arrangements to meet with a photographer after the performance last cruise on the Island Princess. The picture was $24.95; we didn't purchase a copy, nor did we buy the DVD that featured the entire performance. Personally, I would have preferred the photo, but we had a "Champagne" reception instead.

Chris

Hi chris.

Sea p. had the "champagne reception" as well but i'm certain that the announcement said the photo was a "comp" to participating pax as I remember thinking at the time that it was a nice gesture.

They showed it a few times on the princess tv channel- the performance was very well attended - the atrium/decks above etc were standing room only!

The musical Dir. did say at the start of the performance that this was the first time that they had added this to the Sea P. ships activities so maybe that was the reason the photo was a "comp". (just a suggestion though!)

Elaine