Do you decorate your cabin door?

stillabrownsfan

A group from another site went on a group cruise, and they all decorated their doors. There was a contest, and it got a bit crazy. It was all good clean fun.

I've always made magnets for the folks on my roll calls as just a little souvenir. I guess someone on the Infinity liked them, because they were disappearing left and right. :(

We were travelling with three other couples and decided to decorate our doors. Since there were 4 doors in a row decorated, we heard from passengers opposite our doors that they used them to figure out where their rooms were.

Call me another crazy door decorator but I am an artist and always enjoy doing something creative to ID my door. On a Bangkok to Sydney cruise over Christmas and New Years I made "door decor". A foam board tree covered with decorations and had magnets glued to the back. This was on the door for a week and I got many good comments about it. After Christmas I put the tree into the trashcan then I put up a New Year decoration which stayed up for the rest of the cruise.

One evening on the way to dinner I passed the linen/supply room where our room attendant was getting his cart filled for turndown service. There on the metal wall was my Christmas tree. I guess the crew enjoyed it too!

Since then I too have a CC sign I created which goes on the door. Funny.....one afternoon there was a knock on the door. I opened it to see a stranger standing there.....he wanted to report a problem he was having and thought that I could do something about it since I was there critiquing the cruise. Had a good laugh with that one after explaining exactly what CC was all about.

Nancy

Yes, we bring along a large enough Steeler magnet that makes our door easy to find. Plus it's good conversation piece!! We have also celebrated birthdays and our anniversary with the balloons that Princess gives you

At christmas-time, I decorated my door with stuff from the dollar store.

By the second day, it was stolen.

I'd be careful putting anything that I cared about on the door.

Call me another crazy door decorator but I am an artist and always enjoy doing something creative to ID my door. On a Bangkok to Sydney cruise over Christmas and New Years I made "door decor". A foam board tree covered with decorations and had magnets glued to the back. This was on the door for a week and I got many good comments about it. After Christmas I put the tree into the trashcan then I put up a New Year decoration which stayed up for the rest of the cruise.

One evening on the way to dinner I passed the linen/supply room where our room attendant was getting his cart filled for turndown service. There on the metal wall was my Christmas tree. I guess the crew enjoyed it too!

Since then I too have a CC sign I created which goes on the door. Funny.....one afternoon there was a knock on the door. I opened it to see a stranger standing there.....he wanted to report a problem he was having and thought that I could do something about it since I was there critiquing the cruise. Had a good laugh with that one after explaining exactly what CC was all about.

Nancy

I'd bet someone else just took it down & put it the garbage can & the crew just retrieved it.

We started decorating our door when we are on Disney cruises. Doors are magnetic, so we got the magnetic computer paper mentioned & printed some "ears" for the round peephole in the center. :D

But... they do not allow anything on the balcony, AND they do not allow tape!

I think because it's more common there, the tape became a clean-up problem, and the balconies - well, most ships prohibit anything out there because it can start to look messy pretty easily.

Funny, I haven't put anything on the door on Princess or any others, but it could look really cool if done well.

We started decorating our door when we are on Disney cruises. Doors are magnetic, so we got the magnetic computer paper mentioned & printed some "ears" for the round peephole in the center. :D

Even though this is a Princess thread, be aware that not all doors are magnetic....the Carnival cruise we were on in October did not have magnetic doors.....so much for the magnetic stuff I brought. Luckily, I did have tape and we used that instead to put our stuff up (and it came off very easily at the end of the cruise, with no mar to the door).

I'd bet someone else just took it down & put it the garbage can & the crew just retrieved it.

Actually I threw it away in my own cabin's trash can....I mentioned to our cabin steward that I saw it on the wall in the linen room and he turned beet red and smiled......seemed he loved it and just couldn't throw it away.

Nancy

Hubby and I have never personally decorated our door, but our last cruise fell over our wedding anniversary and some of our group decorated our door. It definitely made it much easier to find our cabin! They used scotch tape to stick up some of our wedding photos and had a huge card with a pen so people could sign. We still have the card - had some lovely wishes from total strangers so it was always fun to come back to our room and find good wishes jotted on our card!

This is the cutest idea I've ever heard of........so sweet! I'm going to do this for my birthday on our September cruise, for me!!!!! I'd love to see all the good wishes from my fellow passengers.

Although our cabin is almost at the end of the hall, so not too many people will be going by, it's still going to be fun to see who does sign it!!!!

i did up a sign for our cruise critic group for our last sailing and our friends decided to add to it by putting all our friend's pictures on it, but they were not the most flattering pictures, or at least mine wasn't.\

so we snuck and got the sign and went back to our cabin and started cutting and pasting faces from my People magazine over the ones in the sign.

and then we crept back and replaced the photo! :D

What a great imagination. I would have loved to have seen the sign when you were done!!!!!

I doubt they do and I also don't think they would dine at a table with 8 other strangers either. There's something about being on a ship that makes people act strangely.

Exactly! There are so many social opportunities onboard a cruise ship that you'd NEVER be exposed to on a land vacation!

It's why cruising is my most favorite way to vacation! I'm a social animal, I love people and I love to interact with them.

Not such a bad thing!!!!! ;) I also have my moments when I must be by myself! When, just sitting near a window to the sea and reading a book can be the very best time ever!!!!

I know, call us crazy if you must, but it's for the same reason that we all post here on the cruise critic boards --- we just are excited about being on the ship. It's for the same reason that many of us do the "luggage tag & boarding pass dance" when the day finally comes that we can print them.

We've never stayed a week or two at just one land based hotel, but if we did, we might decorate too.

For Christmas we had a full sized wreath hanging on our cabin door and loved looking at it for the full 18 days.

Sign me up for being crazy, it's fun!

Patti :D

I'm in the club......I love to see the different ideas that people have for decorating their door and, I love to see the smiles on the faces of the people who walk by them.

I'm usually so involved with the last minute details of traveling that I forget to pack or plan for decorating but I really enjoy seeing the doors decorated, some show such imagination. :)

I had read on CC that people did this and on my sort of 1st cruise last Nov. we were with a group of 8 friends. We were going to Hawaii and I did up signs for each couple. I put double-sided stickies on the back of picture. I bought beachy looking paper at the dollar store and printed "Corinne & Mike's Excellent Hawaiin Vacation, October 27th, 2010, Golden Princess" (changing the name for each couple of course lol) and then I had bought all different summer stickers such as umbrellas, lawn chairs, fancy glasses with straws and umbrella's in them, flip flops, etc. and stuck a few around the outside and then had them laminated. I put mine on my door and it was up to them if they wanted to use them or not. I had people leave notes on the door saying they thought it was really nicely done. Made me feel great!!! Looking at a January cruise to the Caribbean next year and I will definitely have to think up something new for our doors lol.

I always make a Cruise Critic door sign for our door. Unfortunately they are on my computer at work. When I go back next week I'll add an attachment if anyone wants to see it.

I would like to see that attachment. I'm not very computer savvy :confused: and would like to add the CC logo to my sign- or just make a sign on the computer. :rolleyes:

If you have a scrapbooker in your life - the cricut has a beach theme cartridge. For our last cruise, I made a 4x6 poster that read "a salty sea dog and his lovely wench stay here." And added some cutouts from my scrapbook stash.

Another day I had a 4x6 sign that read "An old crab and the love of his life stay here."

We also attached a magnet to a bumper sticker from a local sea themed bar.

P4250113.jpg.6538aea9c735926a7a6d036ebad7d5d9.jpg

Absolutely not! I figure it's a 'chick thing' and if I did it, people would think I'm gay (not that there's anything wrong with that). Besides, my room is easy to find - it's always the last one, aft... at the end of the hall.

Absolutely not! I figure it's a 'chick thing' and if I did it, people would think I'm gay (not that there's anything wrong with that). Besides, my room is easy to find - it's always the last one, aft... at the end of the hall.

Bill:

HUH?? Chick thing? GAY?? Could your response be any more inappropriate? :eek:

Archived