Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

Here's my latest Goodwill bargain adventure: Tommy Bahama knit top (pink w/ pineapple design)

Tommy Hilfiger navy V-neck knit top

Gloria Vanderbilt blouse

LL Bean long sleeve top

A black long sleeved Henley

Black & White beaded Pullover

Gold winter Pullover

Yellow 3/4 sleeve knit top with boat theme embroidery

AND light gray and white Capris

....all for $18.00!:):cool:

There was a 50% off sale! I couldn't believe that the prices were THAT good!

All of this leads me to think more about laying out all the summer buys in the Cruise Room.:cool: September's calendar is mostly full - but the Itch to start The Process is getting stronger...

Your goodwill store must have a better selection of brand names from what I have seen in some other goodwill stores. I guess location really helps to find the great deals.

Celebrity cruisers here with a white dinner jacket story. There were several couples traveling together all gentlemen were wearing tuxedos. Commenting over dinner that a white jacket might be nice on the second formal night if only they had one. Then it became whose white jacket would be cooler and who would look the "hottest" in their white dinner jacket. As I am sure that you can tell that these husbands were like 12 year olds. So the following year the contest was on. The boys brought their tuxes and the white dinner jackets. We recruited about 30 shipmates to be judges. And by secret ballot it was determined who wore it the best. My DH won by 3 votes. Lots of fun and I must say he looked fantastic!! That jacket will on the next cruise for sure.

Great story:D

I LOVE the White Jacket Contest storyicon14.gif!

How much fun that would be...and with judges! Kudos to the guys for taking on the challenge.

After reading the latest Cruise Critic facebook poll RE formal night - the White Jacket story made me feel better. The majority of comments for formal night were negative. Those folks only want to wear casual clothes. Yuk! For DH & I, part of the Cruise Experience is Formal Night:cool::). And most CCFs enjoy dress-up time.

I LOVE the White Jacket Contest storyicon14.gif!

How much fun that would be...and with judges! Kudos to the guys for taking on the challenge.

After reading the latest Cruise Critic facebook poll RE formal night - the White Jacket story made me feel better. The majority of comments for formal night were negative. Those folks only want to wear casual clothes. Yuk! For DH & I, part of the Cruise Experience is Formal Night:cool::). And most CCFs enjoy dress-up time.

I also enjoy putting on my glad rags. I do like dressing causal. But even then I am fussy what I wear on a causal night. I "feel" better when dressed up. Causal nights I will wear a skirt or a maxi dress. Put on the right jewelry and the outfit will look fine.

I enjoy getting dressed up for dinner as well. DH is happier in a barong or Tommy Bahama style shirt, & khakis but wears tux on formal nights. We have 3 formal nights on our next cruise. Still have to work on that white dinner jacket...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I enjoy getting dressed up for dinner as well. DH is happier in a barong or Tommy Bahama style shirt, & khakis but wears tux on formal nights. We have 3 formal nights on our next cruise. Still have to work on that white dinner jacket...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just love white dinner jackets. When I first started cruising back in the mid 1970's on Home Lines Oceanic, men wore white dinner jackets a lot. Nights were either formal (tux or white dinner jacket was the normal attire) On non formal nights a suit and tie was worn. I remember have lots of gowns in my closet back then to wear on board.

I've seen sooo many casual maxi dresses about this summer, they seem to have really caught on with every age group and size and shape woman, flattering on most! Made me wonder the other day if we might be seeing these in place of "formal" dresses on formal nights while cruising? Thoughts?

Definitely, but on recent Carnival Freedom was pleasantly surprised at fancy long dresses. Lots of maxi skirts done with fancier top and jewelry. We did see two men in jeans get sent away from dining room.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

That is kind of nice to hear that people are still taking pride in the dress up nights, nice to hear! I know it's not everybody's thing but I think it gives people a sense of pride in themselves when they make the effort even little bit...

Let's face it, in our everyday lives its very very rare anymore that we have opportunities to really dress nicley these days, ( probably for some folks it's never!) so it's wonderful that they provide us a few opportunities to take advantage of it on the cruise...

I just happen to be one of those people that loves to get dressed up so I'll probably do it every night anyway!!

Yay for Carnival! When it's Formal Night, that means no jeans. There are other choices for casual dressers.

How nice to read that dressing up is alive and wellicon14.gif

I am now the owner of 3 maxi dresses. All are knit and IMHO, aren't dressy enough for Formal Night. They work for any other occasion, though; and I'll nave to decide how many make the next cruise:cool::).

Just got one of those cheap cruise offers from Carnival. So surprised I can't sleep. Wish they'd waited to send me the email tomorrow instead of at 10:30. $209 for 7 day on splendor. Just wish a different ship. Giving it lots of thought though!

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Just got one of those cheap cruise offers from Carnival. So surprised I can't sleep. Wish they'd waited to send me the email tomorrow instead of at 10:30. $209 for 7 day on splendor. Just wish a different ship. Giving it lots of thought though!

Just out of curiosity, why do you wish it was a different ship? I was on the Splendor when it was in Long Beach last year for 15 days to Hawaii. It is a fabulous ship and we had a great time.:o

That's cheaper than staying at home!

That's cheaper than staying at home!

I got the same offer. Could not believe some of their prices. This comment made me laugh because I didn't look at it that way. Going out to dinner one night costs $40 easy!! I'm booked on princess in November but with these rates was tempted to sneak another one in at the end of this month!! Now I just wish it didn't cost me so much to fly to the port!!

I got the same offer. Could not believe some of their prices. This comment made me laugh because I didn't look at it that way. Going out to dinner one night costs $40 easy!! I'm booked on princess in November but with these rates was tempted to sneak another one in at the end of this month!! Now I just wish it didn't cost me so much to fly to the port!!

That's my problem. Air. Now it looks like ill book in Feb. Not as cheap but almost $200 cheaper than published rate.

On fashion note. Went to Belk today. That store is a must for me. Very close to Ft Myers airport. New pewter sandals for $8. Saved just over $50. Now it's sad I fly back to chilly Indiana on Monday. I will go through photos from trip. I know I have one to share :)

Weather at the Lake House is NOT summer-like:eek:! Had to turn on the furnace last night. And we're getting a gas line to the fireplace. No more wood fires, but gas is much cleaner! Don't like to think about colder temps and needing a fire, though...

Anyway, all this autumn weather is making me yearn for a cruise (lots of things make me yearn for a cruise:rolleyes:!)

I'm a couple weeks away from starting The Packing Process, so will rely on reading posts to keep my cruising addiction fed!

Edited by indiana71

Weather at the Lake House is NOT summer-like:eek:! Had to turn on the furnace last night. And we're getting a gas line to the fireplace. No more wood fires, but gas is much cleaner! Don't like to think about colder temps and needing a fire, though...

Anyway, all this autumn weather is making me yearn for a cruise (lots of things make me yearn for a cruise:rolleyes:!)

I'm a couple weeks away from starting The Packing Process, so will rely on reading posts to keep my cruising addiction fed!

It was 55 degrees here at about 9AM. The heat is on. I know what you mean about the wood burning fireplace. The one in my living room we hardly use at all. The family room fire place has a insert in it. It is much cleaner. But it still burns wood. We will see what we do about changing to gas once all the wood is gone. But I would like gas.

Just out of curiosity, why do you wish it was a different ship? I was on the Splendor when it was in Long Beach last year for 15 days to Hawaii. It is a fabulous ship and we had a great time.:o

Splendor doesn't have guys. At least I don't think so. I'm sure we'd have fun. Decided to use offer for next year on the Breeze. Happy Dance! Two in two. Not quite a b2b but I'll take it!

notanlineslizz, I was just thinking the same thing about maxi dresses. i bought 2 the other day at Marshals but I didn't think they were dressy enough for formal dinner. I mean you could dress them up with a big chunky necklace or nice ear rings... I'm still debating

notanlineslizz, I was just thinking the same thing about maxi dresses. i bought 2 the other day at Marshals but I didn't think they were dressy enough for formal dinner. I mean you could dress them up with a big chunky necklace or nice ear rings... I'm still debating

A lot of the maxi dresses I've seen have such bold prints that they just don't seem dressy. Too bad because they really are comfortable.

scrapnana: I agree Re maxi dresses. Don't think I've ever seen a solid color one...and most of the prints are casual. BUT, there are some nicer fabrics, better quality and subdued prints/stripes that could work for Formal Night...My preference is still for the "Cocktail Party" attire.

Shopping today - the dregs of summer clothes are all that's left on the racks. Tried on one top, but it didn't talk to me, not even a whisper...put it back.