Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

ScottsSweetie: Love love love what you are having done with your wedding gown! The handkerchiefs will be a perfect keepsake.

Thank you for sharing. Maybe our stories of repurposing will inspire others:).

Geocruiser: You are so right (and thinking like a true CCF)! This is a good week to go through Cruise Clothes - if what you see outside is snow, snow, dark and dreary wind-blowing snow.

Even though I'm packed for Next Cruise, there's lots of items in the Cruise Room that could be checked out!

Remember when I said "I cancelled the December cruise. We will stay home this year."??? Well...DH mentioned last night that out of our 20 cruises, we have been to the western Caribbean only once. That was all he needed to say....I went online and found a cruise that fits our schedule AND goes to the western Caribbean. So-o-o-o I booked a 10-nighter out of Baltimore on Grandeur of the Seas (our most often booked ship), departing November 29 and returning December 9. We get to celebrate Thanksgiving and have a couple weeks before all those year end holidays.:cool::)

What a great way to end a year of cruising :) Good luck keeping the suite a secret too!

We just got back from our first Carnival cruise (on the Breeze) and I have to admit, it was pretty great!! I spent the afternoon organizing pictures and I KNOW I had at least 3 of my dinner dresses photgraphed ... but I must have put them in a different folder. GRRR!! Well, when I find them I'll post them.

BUT I will say that I'm VERY impressed with myself!! I had a few stressful weeks leading up to the cruise, including being sick and DH being away on business until the night before we left! :eek: I only overpacked a teensy bit and did pretty great with my one pair of heels (silver).

Back from Celebrity Reflection. I truly intended to take more shots of my cruise clothes and then didn't. Good intentions!! My phone crashed and uploaded pictures onto computer. Glad I didn't lose them. Leaving on Breeze in 12 days. Not started packing yet and no new things. Things don't seem to be in stores yet. I'll try to be better about pics this time!

I believe all CCFs have good intentions when it comes to taking Outfits Pictures while cruising...but we are having so much fun that at the time, it isn't on our mind:rolleyes:!

We want to see photos posted here. So what to do??? How about everyone makes a sign to hang on a mirror in our stateroom:

Take A Picture of Formal Attire/Dinner Attire/Daytime Attire Right Now/As Soon As I'm Ready...this could work for me in other cruise settings, too - I always wish there was a picture of our tablemates...or a beautiful sunrise/sunset...

Oh boy...I could have so-o-o-o many signs hanging on that mirror:p;)

I want winter to be OVER! Wind chill temp was -12 this morning! There's no chance to wear fun clothes...only multiple layers, sensible boots, mittens, knitted hat and a scarf!

Key West was in the 50's, according to national weather:eek:!

We'll be there in a couple weeks - Mother Nature PLEASE let the sun shine, the snow melt, the mercury rise and daffodils start to emerge (okay, it's a little much to ask for daffodils....)

Rant is Done! I'll spend some time this weekend following the Red Carpet part of the Oscars. Seeing all that gorgeousness and bling can only help lift the winter doldrums:).

...and besides, The Next Cruise is under 3 weeks!

I want winter to be OVER! Wind chill temp was -12 this morning! There's no chance to wear fun clothes...only multiple layers, sensible boots, mittens, knitted hat and a scarf!

We'll be there in a couple weeks - Mother Nature PLEASE let the sun shine, the snow melt, the mercury rise and daffodils start to emerge (okay, it's a little much to ask for daffodils....)

Rant is Done! I'll spend some time this weekend following the Red Carpet part of the Oscars. Seeing all that gorgeousness and bling can only help lift the winter doldrums:).

I have a link to the Ann Arbor live webcam, since my son and DIL live there. It's showing a -18.5 degrees there today with the wind chill. DIL escaped last weekend to Florida where her mother and sister, who live in IL, already had escaped. I feel so sorry for everyone that lives in the Midwest or Eastern US right now. (We won't talk about what the weather has been like in CA the last few weeks ;) .)

Florida is sunny but cool to day. This morning it was 37 degrees here! But I started packing for our March cruise. Want to have it done soon.

Edited by geocruiser

Blizzard coming in tonight in CO, 18-30", maybe more. Great, we leave on Monday! But I have the cutest shoes to go with me now. Sketchers

f38f28cad8d9490a0475b152bb06c6d2.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by awhfy

Catching up on the cruise threads, and seeing those shoes, awhfy, has brightened my mood considerably:). The name "Skechers" practically guarantees comfort, and yours are super cute!!

Three weeks from right now, DH & I will be enjoying our First Night Dinner on Grandeur of the Seas. It's always interesting (and we hope, fun...) to meet other people at our table. :cool:

awhfy: Where did you get your Skechers? I looked on amazon & zappos - didn't see them. I don't need another pair of shoes...but those are so perfect for walking around cruise ships and ports!icon14.gif

I'll be watching the red carpet part of the Oscars for sure - always love to see how the stylists dress the stars!:)

I have a link to the Ann Arbor live webcam, since my son and DIL live there. It's showing a -18.5 degrees there today with the wind chill. DIL escaped last weekend to Florida where her mother and sister, who live in IL, already had escaped. I feel so sorry for everyone that lives in the Midwest or Eastern US right now. (We won't talk about what the weather has been like in CA the last few weeks ;) .)

Ann Arbor is my home town!!! So, of course I moved to Maine where -18.5 is the temps sometimes minus the wind chill!!! This winter is horrible for everyone all around the country ... (was in A2 for the art fair this summer ... I miss home, sometimes).

Great to read this thread and dream about clothes and warm weather ..... I too would love to know where the sketchers came from ... very cute. Jan

Blizzard coming in tonight in CO, 18-30", maybe more. Great, we leave on Monday! But I have the cutest shoes to go with me now. Sketchers

The colors in those shoes make me think tropical islands, blue seas, and sand (and maybe a drink with a little umbrella in it;)).

I bought the shoes, Sketcher Stretch Weave, at Kohls! On sale & a 30% off coupon! I believe I ended up paying $28-30 for them. They also come in a creamy silvery beige. One note, they do run large. I normally wear a 7.5 or 8; these are a 7 & I could've gotten away with a 6.5 (till the swelling commences). Wore them around today (along with my neon pink parka--hey, it's Colorado). Wicked comfortable & no break-in period. Scrapnana, that's exactly what I thought when I saw them. Melody

I'm in packing mode! Yesterday was Walmart shopping for motion sickness meds, various meds we might need (I always bring a small amount of generic things like Imodium, sudafed, pepto, etc. usually only $2-4 at Walmart!) I did find a super cute coverup. Here in Texas swim stuff is out already.

Today doing the boys laundry and setting aside what they will wear. With the exception of their suits, I'll probably get them packed up. Then it's time for me to tackle my closet, finally figure out what I'm taking and see what else I need to add to the mix (tanks, shorts, etc!) I'm actually not buying too much new for this trip, except I did find a cute new swimsuit. I can't figure out my formal night this year. Might just wear a black dress and add accessories to match my daughters dress which is pink, black and white. Trying to see if we want to find pink shirts and/or ties for the boys!

I leave in about 11 days, cruise leaves in 15! Getting close.

I'm in packing mode! Yesterday was Walmart shopping for motion sickness meds, various meds we might need (I always bring a small amount of generic things like Imodium, sudafed, pepto, etc. usually only $2-4 at Walmart!) I did find a super cute coverup. Here in Texas swim stuff is out already.

Today doing the boys laundry and setting aside what they will wear. With the exception of their suits, I'll probably get them packed up. Then it's time for me to tackle my closet, finally figure out what I'm taking and see what else I need to add to the mix (tanks, shorts, etc!) I'm actually not buying too much new for this trip, except I did find a cute new swimsuit. I can't figure out my formal night this year. Might just wear a black dress and add accessories to match my daughters dress which is pink, black and white. Trying to see if we want to find pink shirts and/or ties for the boys!

I leave in about 11 days, cruise leaves in 15! Getting close.

What part of Texas are you from?

Black is always a good choice!

Sharon

murfturf: Reading that you were packing for your boys, brought back memories. A couple of times we took our boys to DisneyWorld or the beach, I did the packing and made sure they had everything they would need.

Now I check what DH puts in the Cruise Room and, if necessary, offer alternatives (though mostly he does a good job of choosing!).

For the Family Cruise in June, granddaughters have started shopping for fun things to wear:cool:. The 2 girls pick their outfits (young CCFs at 10 & 11!)..the 2 boys are happy with whatever mom puts in the suitcase (they just want to hang out at the pool - much like their dads did at ages 8 & 9!):rolleyes:.

This weekend I WILL open the doors to the Cruise Closet and pull out any item that is questionable: Does it fit? Is it age-appropriate? Do I still like it?, etc.

The consignment shop near our Lake House will be the recipient of anything that doesn't go back in the Closet.

QUESTIONS: Do you shop for Cruise Clothes (clothes, etc. that only get worn on cruises)?

Do you pack outfits that are part of your regular wardrobe rotation?

What percentage of your filled suitcase are new items?

This weekend I WILL open the doors to the Cruise Closet and pull out any item that is questionable: Does it fit? Is it age-appropriate? Do I still like it?, etc.

The consignment shop near our Lake House will be the recipient of anything that doesn't go back in the Closet.

QUESTIONS: Do you shop for Cruise Clothes (clothes, etc. that only get worn on cruises)?

Do you pack outfits that are part of your regular wardrobe rotation?

What percentage of your filled suitcase are new items?

I shop for clothes that I can use on a cruise as well as at home. I don't have just a cruise wardrobe except maybe for the formal night dresses.

Yes, I pack my normal clothes, especially my day time wear.

New items make up maybe 25%.

I do shop for clothes specifically for cruises that only get worn on cruises. In fact, when I look at clothes in the store, I am thinking about how would it be on a cruise.

For the World Voyage last year, except for about ten formal pieces (and they were from previous cruises) everything was new. Many of those formerly new items are in my cruise closet waiting for my next cruise (a few were not hugely successful and have moved over to my regular closet). I am always on the look out for new additions especially knit tops (I wear them a lot and they get old looking quickly).

On my January cruise I had two new items and one from my regular wardrobe to go with items from my cruise closet. I have found four new (knit) tops for my April cruise. Everything else will come from my cruise closet.

I have a few tops that are usually cruise only, or Hawaii! They are just a bit TOO tropical for every day, but I love them and wear them on a cruise. I do change out my wardrobe frequently, but I have one shirt that now it's tradition to take on the cruise :) it's been on most of them except the short 4 day with me.

Lots of my stuff are my normal summer wear. I buy some new but for this one I found I bought very little except for a swim suit, gray shorts, black shorts (which I love!) and a cover up. Oh and a pair of water shoes and a purse! I did buy a dress, but it's been worn a few times so not bought specifically for the cruise :)

I am making a list today. I do think I need a few small things: new sports type bra for the excursions, a black swim skirt that doesn't have the bottoms built in and maybe one lightweight v-neck to wear with shorts.

Edited by murfturf

Quite a few of my formal outfits are retreads from when I was working (I was in formal wear at least two days of the week). My tropical shirts/dresses are only for cruising Caribbean & Hawaii. The rest of my smart casual outfits are what I normally wear now that I'm retired.