Royal Caribbean Signs Letter of Intent to Build New Generation of Ships

RCI's website used to list the Freedoms at 160,000 gross tons [which we all know is a measurement of interior volume rather than weight]. The official tonnage is 154,407 [slightly smaller than Norwegian Epic at 155,873] and the RCI website now accurately lists that figure. These "Sunshine" class vessels at 158,000 will therefore be slightly larger than Freedom class ships.

What bothers me [if the news story is accurate] is that the Sunshine class will carry 4100 guests based on double occupancy. The Freedoms carry 3634. That means 13% more passengers in a ship only 2.3% larger -- sounds like a formula for crowded to me.

RCI is making this ship more crowded. If the numbers hold up, this is will be one of lowest passenger to space ratio of any of their ships.

For what it's worth, RCI simply cannot order additional "Freedom"-class ships as that class is not in compliance with the new "Safe Return to Port" regulations. These apply to newbuilds only so the current "Freedom"-class ships need not comply with them at all.

Currently there are only a handful of ship classes in compliance with "Safe Return to Port", so it is likely that we will see quite a few new ship classes from the various cruise operators in the future as long-time series cannot be continued.

Best,

Raoul

For what it's worth, RCI simply cannot order additional "Freedom"-class ships as that class is not in compliance with the new "Safe Return to Port" regulations. These apply to newbuilds only so the current "Freedom"-class ships need not comply with them at all.

Currently there are only a handful of ship classes in compliance with "Safe Return to Port", so it is likely that we will see quite a few new ship classes from the various cruise operators in the future as long-time series cannot be continued.

Best,

Raoul

Well there's hope for Carnival yet.;)

Well there's hope for Carnival yet.

Actually, Carnival Corp. & plc has three classes that are compliant. These include the "Carnival Dream" class, the new class on order for Princess Cruises and the latest AIDA ships on order with Meyer Werft.

But this also means: No more Vistas, no more Grand-class ships etc.

Actually, Carnival Corp. & plc has three classes that are compliant. These include the "Carnival Dream" class, the new class on order for Princess Cruises and the latest AIDA ships on order with Meyer Werft.

But this also means: No more Vistas, no more Grand-class ships etc.

Yeah but we all know that the Dream is nothing more than a stretched Destiny/Conquest/Splendor class ship. I mean an actual NEW design. Not something that we have seen since 1996 when the Destiny arrived on the scene.:)

Yeah but we all know that the Dream is nothing more than a stretched Destiny/Conquest/Splendor class ship. I mean an actual NEW design

I know what you mean and you are correct from a passenger's point of view. But technically spoken, "Carnival Dream" is the prototype of a completely new design which has a lot in common with some previous desings. :)

Of course RCI could have also redesignd the "Freedom"-class in order to be "Safe Return to Port"-compliant. There's no need to build something that looks vastly different from previous designs.

Best,

Raoul

I have never heard of this before. What is the Safe Return to Port regulation? And why does this mean that there can't be a continuation of older cruise ship classes?

This will be the first time I will be a Cruise Critic member throughout Royal Caribbean's entire process of starting a new class of ships! :D I joined CC after Royal Caribbean had already started building the Oasis and had released renderings of a few neighborhoods. This will be an exciting journey for me! Interesting how this class will hold a few hundred more passengers than the Freedom class, even though they will be the same size.

Looks like the rumors about the Sunshine Class using the Solstice Class' hull and being between the size of the Radiance and Voyager Class were wrong, just like most rumors...

The following is a short summary of what "Safe Return to Port" is all about:

http://www.gl-group.com/en/15494.php

The new regulation applies to all newly built passenger ships (excluding very small ones) with a July 1st, 2010 or later date of construction.

Most classes of cruise ships, including recent ones, do not comply and would have to be redesigned. As an example, there has been speculation that the engine room fire onboard "Carnival Splendor" might not have had such costly and unpleasant consequences, had the 2008-built vessel been in compliance with "Safe Return to Port".

Don't think that we will see anything more than a rendering of the exterior profile of the ship like they did with Genesis. Fain stated that they are going to keep things under wrap on what features the ship will have. Believe me, they will drag this one out. They have three years to try and peak everyone's interest.

That and not tip their ideas to any competitors who might try to incorporate them into their own designs. 3 years is a long time!

I just hope that they don't name the first ship Sunshine of the Seas.:rolleyes: I also hope that RCI never looses sight of it pleasing asthetic lines. Please do not turn out something that looks like the Epic.

I understand the need to keep things intersting but I really hope that all of these new builds and one ups-man-ship doesn't do the cruise lines what it did to the old classic lines of the past.

I second what Ocean Boy said. The Epic is one ugly ship and Sunshine of the Seas would be very...well cheesy.:eek: I have always thought that RCCL ships are the most attractive ships.

Very exciting news! I already can't wait to see pictures and sail on the new ship. My hunch is, although it will be close to Freedom class size, the design will be much more like Oasis class. Also, even though this ship will carry 500 more passengers than a Freedom class, it will seem a lot less crowded than Freedom does. RCL has done a great job spreading out the crowds with Oasis and I see no reason for them not to continue doing that. Maybe the new ship won't have open-air neighborhoods like Central Park or Boardwalk however I have a feeling they will somehow continue the neighborhood concept on this new ship.

One thing I thought of right off the bat is if this ship is built at the same plant as Solstice class are built, I recall there being a narrow channel or bridge opening area outside of the plant that the ship must pass though to get to sea. If so, that will limit the width of the ship. Then to meet the 158,000T as proposed, it will have to be no wider than a Solstice or Radiance class ship, however longer than Freedom class. Anyway, it's very exceting news and should be an interesting 3-years.

I'm glad they finally went public on this! :D

I've posted the fact that the next generation was going to be between the Freedom and Oasis classes numerous time on other threads but nobody believed me or my source! Oh well what can you do? :D

Now the facts are out! Eat Cake ya meanies! :p

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4367

The ships (or ship) won't be called Sunshine of the Seas. If you recall Oasis Class was originally called Project Genesis.

I was sort of joking as it would be a horrible name.... I would hope that no C.E.O. is his right mind would pick it.

I'm glad they finally went public on this! :D

I've posted the fact that the next generation was going to be between the Freedom and Oasis classes numerous time on other threads but nobody believed me or my source! Oh well what can you do? :D

Now the facts are out! Eat Cake ya meanies! :p

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4367

You have been around long enough to know that there are plenty of people on these boards that are crazy about cake.... especially if it is chocolate.

I second what Ocean Boy said. The Epic is one ugly ship and Sunshine of the Seas would be very...well cheesy.:eek: I have always thought that RCCL ships are the most attractive ships.

I don't think that any cruise line will ever build anything as ugly as Epic. Heck, even NCL is not building another one. One thing about RCI, they always put a lot of thought into the design of their ships. Inside and out.

Archived