What Will You Be Reading on Next Cruise and Will It Be Book, Kindle or Nook?

aussieg3

I don't go anywhere without my kindle. I love real books too. I have a house jam-packed full of them. But I find that I actually get around to READING on my kindle. I mostly get free books. With the Gutenburg project I have 19000 books at my fingertips, plus amazon's free selections.

Please tell this book lover what the cost of each book is for the kindle or nook or others, and which download 'free' books from the library or elsewhere.

I love the used book sales at the libraries and always take several books per cruise. When I finish the book I give it to my steward - if they don't like the book they can always put it in the crew library or trade it.

I'm just starting the 3rd 'girl with the dragon tatoo book'.

Thanks everyone for all the authors names to check out next time I'm at the library - I know I'll find some new favorites .:)

Nothing like sitting in the shade, hearing the waves, looking up as I turn the page and seeing the seas.............

There are a lot of free books from Amazon. All of the old classics are free and you can download from several sources. New bestsellers (hardback) run about 9.99 (Some have been up to 13.99 lately with a lot of disgruntled folks!) There are a lot of new authors to try for free or .99-2.99 range in your preferred genre. For an older paperback that I want to read or reread and keep in my collection, it can run about $5-7. I love that you can "sample" an book you like.

I also love the idea of reading those "huge" books on Kindle. Loved "Pillars of the Earth" by Folliet and look forward to checking out "Fall of Giants". It was not the usuall fare for me, so I want to thank everyone here for suggesting it.

I also loved Wilbur Smith's egypt and africa books. So much history told along with the story.

DH ordered Mark Twain's autobiography for the last cruise - it is one of those huge coffee-table books that is just perfect for Kindle.

I'll be bringing both a kindle and some paperbacks. Saving ,The Girl who kicked the hornests nest for our two days at sea. Then I'll bring a nice easy read like Carl Haisen or Evanovich, for quick reads. I still like the feel of a book, but I like the ease of a kindle.;)

I bought the nook specifically because I could download library ebooks. I love the nook and the ebook service (called Overdrive). I'm reading more than ever. I truly never thought I'd like an electronic device as much as I do my nook. Yup, I'm in love ;-)

Traveling Library (may need to change my name to Traveling eLibrary)

Please tell this book lover what the cost of each book is for the kindle or nook or others, and which download 'free' books from the library or elsewhere.

I love the used book sales at the libraries and always take several books per cruise. When I finish the book I give it to my steward - if they don't like the book they can always put it in the crew library or trade it.

I'm just starting the 3rd 'girl with the dragon tatoo book'.

Thanks everyone for all the authors names to check out next time I'm at the library - I know I'll find some new favorites .:)

Nothing like sitting in the shade, hearing the waves, looking up as I turn the page and seeing the seas.............

I have a nook so can mainly speak to that (the only real difference I know is the kindle is not compatible with public library books, whereas the nook is).

Nook books from Barnes and Noble run anywhere from free to around $15. Obviously the newer a book or the more popular a book, the pricier it is. You can download a "sample" of the book and see if you like it before you buy it. You can "lend" a book to someone with a nook or nook software on their computer or smart phone. I have not done this yet, but my understanding is you can only lend a book once, and the person you are lending it to has 14 days to read it. While the book is on loan, you can not read it.

There is a definite advantage to being able to borrow books from the library - free. However, there is the same downside as with a regular library book. There are limited copies. The library cannot purchase one e-copy and lend limitlessly. If they have one copy, it can only be lent to one person at a time. Depending on your library lending time policy, the book will "disappear" when that time period expires. This does keep from having late fees, but....if you aren't done, too bad...it is gone. At my library anyway, there are only 1 or 2 copies of each book, and the list is limited. However, if you don't mind getting on a waiting list to get a book, and there are books available you want to read, it is nice.

I don't know much about the Kindle or other e-readers. The "experts" compare Kinkle and Nook equal, except for the library issue...and I wanted the library capability.

I was so reluctant to switch from "real" books to the Kindle, but packing has been a breeze. I read alot - so packing 15-20 books for each cruise - takes room. With the Kindle, I have room for other stuff.

I have a mixture of classics, trashy romances, mysteries, and J Auel's children of earth series - her new book is coming in March, so I like to reread the series before the new book is released.

I'm also waiting for the new J. Auel book coming out in March. I'll be bringing that one plus the entire series on my Kindle for my cruise in April. Love the Children of Earth series. I've already read them twice and just started re-reading them to be ready for the new one. :D

I, too, am kicking and screaming into the 21st century. so, naturally, I will be taking paper books.....anyone find what they need in the ship's library? I am addicted to Stephanie Plum books along with Grafton, and recently discovered Carl Hiassen(sp?) and was going to suggest him as well.....any others along these lines? I have read one or two Stuart Woods? Any suggestions for any of his? I sued to like Patricia Cornwall, but some of her new ones are strange....I stick with the Scarpetta novels.... Any thoughts on Eat,Pray.Love? .....L

I am a book editor and thought I would never like an electronic reader. Wrong! I love my Kindle. Truthfully, what's the difference between holding a book and holding an e-reader (other than the fact that the e-reader is lighter and your arms don't get tired.....oh, and it holds hundreds of books in one slim package).

I've come to realize that a "book" is really the content, not the physical package it comes in.

I, too, feel this way, and I was sure I'd never want a Kindle, but now I'm thinking otherwise!

I'm still going round and round and trying to decide what to do, and our cruise is getting close! What is stopping me from buying a Kindle is that it doesn't seem as though our local library book downloads supports the Kindle format. And I'm with all those other people who feel that Amazon has longevity over the other sellers, so it appears that the Kindle is the best to buy.

Also, I buy a lot of my books at yard sales, because then I can try out new authors for only a little bit of money. When I find a new author that I like, I just go to eBay or Amazon to find a good deal for the books. The other thing bothering me is the inability to pass on the books you've read. I frequently share the ones that I enjoyed the most with my daughter and a friend or two, and that isn't possible with the Kindle. So what DO you do with all the books you've read, just continue to store them? On the other hand, we have a house full of books that we are continually selling second-hand or donating, and in the meantime are sitting there collecting dust!

I've really enjoyed this thread. Thanks for all the comments on "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo". I picked it up this week, and I'm really enjoying it! However, since it's a thick book in a small paperback size, I'm having trouble holding it open--so have now have gone round-about thinking that Kindle would not have that problem! My husband is also an avid reader, so Ithink there may be two Kindles in our future! Decisions, decisions!

I'm sure I won't spend a lot of time reading on the cruise, as we'll be with two other couples, so I'm thinking that one paperback may be plenty this time...and maybe I can think about this some more in the future.

I also wasn't sure if technology would mesh well with my reading style. I love the feel of a book in my hand. However, every time my husband would see me whip out a new book on vacation, I had to endure the rolling of the eyes. :rolleyes:

So, last week I bought a Nook....and was pleasantly surprised! I basically chose the Nook b/c of the ability to check out books at the library. Took me a bit to figure out how to do that, but I now have 10 books loaded and am on the wait list for another 10 books!

Hubby now has no idea how many books I have "packed" and can't complain about the extra weight he gets to lug around! Can't wait to use it next month on our family cruise!

Bringing my Kindle on our Radiance sailing in 2 weeks. I love playing Scrabble on the Kindle!

My faves are the JD Robb/Nora Roberts detective series, Catherine Coulter thriller/suspense, David Baldacchi, and some of James Patterson.

Took me a bit to figure out how to do that, but I now have 10 books loaded and am on the wait list for another 10 books!

It's great looking at your downloaded book list, however remember that books from your public library will expire likely 2 or 3 weeks after you've downloaded them. I learned that the hard way on a cruise - was mid-way through one of the books I'd downloaded from the library and poof, it was no longer available to read. Argh!

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

I sued to like Patricia Cornwall, but some of her new ones are strange....I stick with the Scarpetta novels.... Any thoughts on Eat,Pray.Love? .....L

If you like Patricia Cornwell, you should try Kathy Reichs - the original Temperence Brennan books, not the "Bones" ones from the TV show, which aren't as good.

I also wasn't sure if technology would mesh well with my reading style. I love the feel of a book in my hand. However, every time my husband would see me whip out a new book on vacation, I had to endure the rolling of the eyes. :rolleyes:

So, last week I bought a Nook....and was pleasantly surprised! I basically chose the Nook b/c of the ability to check out books at the library. Took me a bit to figure out how to do that, but I now have 10 books loaded and am on the wait list for another 10 books!

Hubby now has no idea how many books I have "packed" and can't complain about the extra weight he gets to lug around! Can't wait to use it next month on our family cruise!

Me too! Sure would have been nice if there were step by step instructions!

One thing I was surprised about....I borrowed a book and finished it so I returned it early on my PC...but it is still on my nook....will be interested to see what happens when it actually comes due to be returned....

Kindle and i just started the girl with the dragon tattoo hard to get into it i hope it gts better lol my daughter loved it

Reading on an iPad. It not only has the iPad book program, but it also has the Amazon Kindle book program.

Not sure what I'll actually be reading in 3 months - that's too far away. Just finished reading "The Girl With The Dragon Tatoo" trilogy.

Kindle and i just started the girl with the dragon tattoo hard to get into it i hope it gts better lol my daughter loved it

My sister said the same thing...said she was 1/3 of the way in before anything really happened...she does not plan to read the rest of them. Not sure with her "recommendation" I will try...at least if I do, I will borrow from the library and not buy it!

My husband and I both have Kindles and yes, you can share the books you read on there - you just need both Kindles to be under the SAME account - he has pulled additional copies of books from my Kindle and given me copies of books he thought I might like to read on my Kindle. My husband has the larger Kindle and I have the smaller one. There are all sorts of free books available as well as word games - which I have played on airplanes, LOL! I love my Kindle because I can take as many books as I want on vacation. Last time, I took 12 and read 4 of them. The rest of the books, I read after vacation, but it was nice to have a lot of choices. Another advantage is that you can adjust the font of the book so that it is larger, if you wish. Another advantage is that if you hear about a book you want to read, you can get it instantly. No trip to the store or ordering on the internet required. The Kindle is better for reading outside. But I am honestly also interested in the Nook due to it being color. I am waiting to see if Amazon launches a color Kindle shortly.

The ONLY problem I have encountered so far is with the plug on the Kindle cord. The plug actually is separate from the cord - which I did not realize when I first got the Kindle. We went to an inn for the weekend and I plugged in my Kindle to recharge it for the flight home. When I unplugged it, I unplugged the cord from the plug - leaving the plug in the electric socket and didn't notice what I had done. I packed the cord and we left. I figured out what happened when I got home and phoned the inn and they mailed the plug to me. Additional cords can be purchased, worst case scenario.

My sister said the same thing...said she was 1/3 of the way in before anything really happened...she does not plan to read the rest of them. Not sure with her "recommendation" I will try...at least if I do, I will borrow from the library and not buy it!

I read The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo last week after reading the recommendation on this thread, and absolutely loved it! Luckily I bought the second one at the same time, and can hardly put it down. Now I'll have to go out and get the third one, but will not take it on the cruise as it's in hardback! So I still don't know what I'll be reading on this cruise, but probably a Penny Vincenzi book. She had a trilogy (Lytton family trilogy) that I really enjoyed, but her single books are good too.