What Will You Be Reading on Next Cruise and Will It Be Book, Kindle or Nook?

aussieg3

I have a kindle question. When I finish a book and I'm deleting it. I delete it from the device as well as going to my Amazon account. My question is when I delete the book from the cloud. When I switch over to the cloud, and press on the book title, it doesn't give me the option to delete it from the cloud. I then have to go into my settings and sync it to delete it from the cloud. When I called Mayday, I was told that it could take up to a few day to actually delete from the cloud unless I do the sync function. I don't remember having to do this in the past, but the last 4 books I had to do the sync. I've only had the kindle about 2 months.it's the HDX 8.9 if that matters.

I'll be reading my Nook Color on our next cruise. I'll have some sort of "chick lit" and maybe some Stephanie Plum (Janet Evanovich). I like to keep my reading light while I'm on vacation. I like Nicholas Sparks, but I've read too many of his books where the endings just stink!

A little "Off Topic" Back in 1961, when I was in 6th grade, my teacher assigned the class to do a book report on "Any" book we wanted. I did mine on "The Carpet Baggers" by Harold Robbins, which was quite risque at that time. My teacher just about had a stroke. "Does your mother know you read this?" "Yeah, She gave it to me" He just shook His head and said "Well, at least you're reading"

On my last cruise I brought my Kindle Fire HD. I found an author who wrote murder/mysteries which take place on different Islands in the Caribbean. (Jaden Skye) I downloaded them from Amazon Store. A few were free but the most expensive one was probably $5.00. One drawback is with the Kindle Fire you can't read in the sun. I had too read in a shady area. I'm considering picking up the Paperwhite & transferring some books to read on the pool deck.

I also downloaded music to listen to when I got too tired to read outside. It's so easy. Comes in handy on your flight as well.

I have a ton of games on it also.

Looks like the Dragon-trilogy is tops among most cruisers. I started it and just couldn't get into it. Not my kind of thing.

Best thing I've read lately: Game of Thrones by George RR Martin, and with five massive tomes, even the most voracious reader couldn't finish this series -- even on a back-to-back cruise! However, it's not what you'd call "light reading". You have to pay attention to every detail, but it's easy to become obsessed!

Old favorites -- historical fiction with a bit of romance: Outlander series by Diana Galbatron or the Into the Wilderness series by . . . oh, can I actually have forgotten?

Lately I've been reading the Mortal Instruments series and the Clockwork series by Cassandra Clare and Divergent with my teenaged girls. We've always shared books. Of that bunch, I enjoyed the Clockwork series the most by far.

Fall of the Giants by Ken Follett on my new Nookcolor
Have you read his two Medieval novels, Pillars of the Earth and World Without End? They're among the best books I've ever read . . . ever. I have Fall of Giants, and I'm saving it for my upcoming Florida trip.
I prefer books. I have problems seeing the electronic screen - serious eye strain!
All e-readers aren't created equal. The Kindle has, by far, the most eye-friendly screen.

Definitely taking my Kindle again. It is so easy on the eyes since there is no glare and you can make the print just about any size you want. Also love the fact that I can read book samples before I purchase them. There is nothing I do not like about my Kindle.
Agreed! I have literally HUNDREDS of books, including a massive backlog of things on my "to read" list! I love that the Kindle isn't hard to hold open at the very beginning /very end of a thick book. I love that I don't need to house /dust the books. I love that I can look up the definition of a word (having a degree in English, I wouldn't have thought I'd have used that feature much, but I love it and find myself becoming more precise in my language). I love that late at night I can adjust the font size upward (my eyes aren't getting any younger).

In all seriousness, I can name a couple things I don't like about my Kindle: I don't like cookbooks on the Kindle (even when they're free) because the recipes don't fall nicely onto one page. For the same reason, I don't like books that are graphic heavy (for example, I was disappointed in a gardening book that I purchased because the charts and layouts didn't always fall on the same page as the text, and I was always flip-flopping back and forth between pages. And I don't like the Bible on the Kindle because it's slow to move from chapter to chapter, and I can't keep up in Sunday School. Other than those things, it's a wonderful thing.

I remember well a trip on which I packed two MASSIVELY THICK books, thinking it'd be plenty for a one-week trip . . . but the first one was so wonderful that I devoured it quickly, and then the second one was an awful stinker that I just couldn't get into. So there I was with nothing to read for the rest of the week! That's why I adore having extra, extra, extra books at my fingertips.

frangran -- There is nothing mysterious about older people liking e-readers. Nothing to do with books. Instead, the 45-65 age group if amazon's big market because their eyes are getting bad and they want the ability to enlarge the text.
My 70-year old mom was not really much of a pleasure reader when I was a kid, but when she saw me with my Kindle -- can it have been a decade ago? -- she expressed a desire for one. This was back when they were still expensive, so we kids went in together and got her one . . . and that Kindle has made her into a reader! Now she and I chat-books all the time.
I've come to realize that a "book" is really the content, not the physical package it comes in.
Yes, some people love books . . . while other people love reading. I love reading.

Please tell this book lover what the cost of each book is for the kindle or nook or others, and which download 'free' books from the library or elsewhere.
They vary widely. Lots of old classics are available for free, but plenty of new stuff is available either free or low priced (think, $1.99) as well. A brand-new best seller might cost $9.99, but that's the most I've ever paid for a book. Usually the Kindle version is cheaper than buying a DTB (dead tree book) but more expensive than a used book.

Magazines are vastly cheaper on the Kindle.

There is a definite advantage to being able to borrow books from the library - free. However, there is the same downside as with a regular library book. There are limited copies. The library cannot purchase one e-copy and lend limitlessly. If they have one copy, it can only be lent to one person at a time.
Depends upon what type of license the library purchases. Recently I helped choose some ebooks for our school library, and I learned a good bit about this. Some of our books can be checked out by only one person . . . but others could literally be read by every student in our school (plus their siblings) all at the same time, if they all downloaded them to their various devices.

Looks like the Dragon-trilogy is tops among most cruisers. I started it and just couldn't get into it. Not my kind of thing.

Best thing I've read lately: Game of Thrones by George RR Martin, and with five massive tomes, even the most voracious reader couldn't finish this series -- even on a back-to-back cruise! However, it's not what you'd call "light reading". You have to pay attention to every detail, but it's easy to become obsessed!

Old favorites -- historical fiction with a bit of romance: Outlander series by Diana Galbatron or the Into the Wilderness series by . . . oh, can I actually have forgotten?

Lately I've been reading the Mortal Instruments series and the Clockwork series by Cassandra Clare and Divergent with my teenaged girls. We've always shared books. Of that bunch, I enjoyed the Clockwork series the most by far.

Have you read his two Medieval novels, Pillars of the Earth and World Without End? They're among the best books I've ever read . . . ever. I have Fall of Giants, and I'm saving it for my upcoming Florida trip. All e-readers aren't created equal. The Kindle has, by far, the most eye-friendly screen.

Agreed! I have literally HUNDREDS of books, including a massive backlog of things on my "to read" list! I love that the Kindle isn't hard to hold open at the very beginning /very end of a thick book. I love that I don't need to house /dust the books. I love that I can look up the definition of a word (having a degree in English, I wouldn't have thought I'd have used that feature much, but I love it and find myself becoming more precise in my language). I love that late at night I can adjust the font size upward (my eyes aren't getting any younger).

In all seriousness, I can name a couple things I don't like about my Kindle: I don't like cookbooks on the Kindle (even when they're free) because the recipes don't fall nicely onto one page. For the same reason, I don't like books that are graphic heavy (for example, I was disappointed in a gardening book that I purchased because the charts and layouts didn't always fall on the same page as the text, and I was always flip-flopping back and forth between pages. And I don't like the Bible on the Kindle because it's slow to move from chapter to chapter, and I can't keep up in Sunday School. Other than those things, it's a wonderful thing.

I remember well a trip on which I packed two MASSIVELY THICK books, thinking it'd be plenty for a one-week trip . . . but the first one was so wonderful that I devoured it quickly, and then the second one was an awful stinker that I just couldn't get into. So there I was with nothing to read for the rest of the week! That's why I adore having extra, extra, extra books at my fingertips.

My 70-year old mom was not really much of a pleasure reader when I was a kid, but when she saw me with my Kindle -- can it have been a decade ago? -- she expressed a desire for one. This was back when they were still expensive, so we kids went in together and got her one . . . and that Kindle has made her into a reader! Now she and I chat-books all the time.

Yes, some people love books . . . while other people love reading. I love reading.

They vary widely. Lots of old classics are available for free, but plenty of new stuff is available either free or low priced (think, $1.99) as well. A brand-new best seller might cost $9.99, but that's the most I've ever paid for a book. Usually the Kindle version is cheaper than buying a DTB (dead tree book) but more expensive than a used book.

Magazines are vastly cheaper on the Kindle.

Depends upon what type of license the library purchases. Recently I helped choose some ebooks for our school library, and I learned a good bit about this. Some of our books can be checked out by only one person . . . but others could literally be read by every student in our school (plus their siblings) all at the same time, if they all downloaded them to their various devices.[/quote

That reminds me. I have all the "Game of Thrones" books on my Sony E-Reader. I wish I could transfers them to my Kindle.

• 1 month later...
Whatever I read, it will be a "real" book.

So don't want to deal with things that need to be charged on cruises.:rolleyes:

LuLu

~~~~

My Nook Simple Touch holds a charge so long

that I never take it's charger on any vacation.

I use it whenever DH is using my iPad Air.

The iPad has Nook books, Kindle books, and

the Overdrive app loaded with 20 books from our library.

My Kindle will come along on the cruise to fill in any down time I may have (which probably won't be much). I have two books downloaded that I am saving for the transatlantic flights and the cruise - The Last Ship by William Brinkley and Stephen King's 11/22/63. Like another poster, I got the Kindle as a gift and let it sit in the box for over 6 months before trying it out. Now I use it exclusively for reading. I love the text to speech feature when I am exercising on the treadmill - having the book read to me while exercising makes the time go by faster and I tend to exercise longer.

I'll take my Kindle, plus one emergency 'what if' book--what if I lose the Kindle, it goes wonky, gets stolen, etc. I almost panic if I don't have some kind of reading material available, especially on the plane.

I usually also head to the ship library and see if I can find a 'real' book or two that I haven't read.

It's hard to tell what I will be reading by then--maybe the last book in the Game of Thrones series, or a thriller or ???--my tastes are pretty eclectic. I always treat myself to a new download of one of Rosemary Sutcliff's books--I have most of them in real book format, and am building up a Kindle library of her works too.

My sisters and I share a Kindle account, so I have lots to chose from, including all the books by some of the classic authors that are now available free, so I usually read a new (to me) book by someone like Jane Austin.

At home I still prefer hard copy books, but for traveling the Kindle is great.

DH and I are both avid readers but we have not read an actual paper and binding book for at least 6 years. We started with Kindle but then changed to iPads. It is so much easier when packing to not have a whole bunch of books to pack. For long trips I bring my Kindle too just in case. :)

Edited by SPacificbound

We both have Kindles and we take a spare Kindle with us as well, just in case.

I'm a speed-reader so the Kindle has been an absolute boon to me for travelling. No more lugging suitcases full of heavy paper books. :)

I always carry some ziplock bags to put our Kindles into in situations where they could get sandy/dusty/wet. We have Kindle Keyboards so they work fine, not sure how it would work with Fires or PaperWhites. I also have a TrendyDigital waterproof cover which is more reliable if I want to read while actually sitting in a pool or bath.

As to what I'll be reading - well, my cruise is a long way off so who knows. I typically have over 100 books to be read on my Kindle as I take advantage of Kindle Daily Deals and other bargains. I like to read light fiction when travelling and, where possible, enjoy books set in the locations I'm travelling to.

I'll be taking my Kindle PaperWhite and an iPod Touch with a Kindle app. The iPod is always in my purse or pocket so it's handy to pull out for unexpected spare reading time. It also will be fully loaded with audio books from the library. Exercise walking is more fun while listening to a good story.

What will I be reading? Anything that BookBub has that's free. I'll download a bunch of books before leaving home, mostly mystery and romance, sometimes historical books or biographies.

Edited by Grannycb

What will I be reading? Anything that BookBub has that's free. I'll download a bunch of books before leaving home, mostly mystery and romance, sometimes historical books or biographies.

Look for the Royal Spyness series by Rhys Bowen and the Daisy Dalrymple Series by Carola Dunn. They are a fun combination of historical mysteries with a little romance thrown in. I love reading books that have a series so that I get to know characters. If you like Downton Abbey, you might like these too. :)

Have loved this thread. For those who are wondering about getting a Kindle or Nook, just a few thoughts I have from reading the many post...

1) Some have said they bought Nooks so they could download library books. There is no problem downloading library books (also using Overdrive) with a Kindle. If the thought of figuring out the library system is overwhelming, simply take your device to your local library and they will get it all set up for you. Free books...at any hour of the day...what's not to love!

2) In one comment someone said they got a Nook so they could have color. Kindle Fires have color...all the beautiful cookbooks and garden books are in perfect color. Also you can use your Kindle Fire for viewing Pinterest when you're too tired to read! (If you are where you have WiFi)

3) Cost- I've had my Kindle for 3 years. In all of that time I've spent under 5$ (I bought a Bible I wanted for 99 cents, and I paid for Scrabble which was something like $2.99). Go to Amazon free books...and you will find countless classics as well as other books. Someone in an earlier post mentioned Bookbub. Whoever that was I owe you a huge "THANKS" because it is fantastic. It sends you one email a day, a quick glance through books that are selected from your interest, and it literally takes 3 seconds to click and get the book. I'm typically adding 4 free books a week from Bookbub. If you don't want to do it on your Kindle, it's all right there on your PC.

4) My husband takes a lot of classes to keep current in his field. He can purchase his text book for a fraction of the price on his Kindle App. No more lugging a heavy text books around.

Love this thread! Kindle for me (2nd generation whispernet, my first generation broke!). Any mystery/thriller, but right now I'm working my way through all the Brian Haig books--awesome writer!!

Look for the Royal Spyness series by Rhys Bowen and the Daisy Dalrymple Series by Carola Dunn. They are a fun combination of historical mysteries with a little romance thrown in. I love reading books that have a series so that I get to know characters. If you like Downton Abbey, you might like these too. :)

Thanks for the suggestions! I like series too. Have you read the Olivia Series by Yael Politis? And yes, I love Downton Abbey.

What Will You Be Reading on Next Cruise and Will It Be Book, Kindle or Nook?

Aside from the (Carnival) Fun Times and the menu in the MDR, probably not much else. If I'm stretched out in a lounge chair, I'd rather look out at the ocean or people watch. I can always read when I'm cooped up at home in the winter.