Are the massages worth it?

Hootsie

We will be on the Ruby in a month. My hubby's birthday is coming up and I was going to buy him a massage on Princess.com to use when we are on vacation. Are they worth the price or full of sales tactics to buy their products?

I have had massages on the Grand and the Sapphire both were wonderful. I did get the sales pitch on the Grand but once I told them that I wasn't interested they stopped. No one mentioned anything after my massage on the Sapphire. Enjoy!

We will be on the Ruby in a month. My hubby's birthday is coming up and I was going to buy him a massage on Princess.com to use when we are on vacation. Are they worth the price or full of sales tactics to buy their products?

I would wait until you are board- they have a lot of specials every day.

Cool! Glad to know they offer specials.

I am a cancer survivor, and I get massages somewhat regularly. Never have on a cruise but will keep this in mind.

One thing I wanted to mention, if your husband does some snorkeling be cautious and be on the lookout for symptoms following a massage. With a massage ya always want to drink a lot of water anyway, but especially after being in the ocean. We've only ever been on one other cruise, but the one we were on, one of the couples in our party had been in the ocean snorkeling, had gotten a lot of sun on the cruise, had gotten a massage, and didn't respond very well (got sick). After she got back home she was hospitalized for a couple of days. May depend on how deep the massage goes, too. And I'd imagine this type of reaction is rare, but I do recall what I mention above were her circumstances.

I wouldn't let this stop me, but I would drink a lot of water.

Cool! Glad to know they offer specials.

I am a cancer survivor, and I get massages somewhat regularly. Never have on a cruise but will keep this in mind.

One thing I wanted to mention, if your husband does some snorkeling be cautious and be on the lookout for symptoms following a massage. With a massage ya always want to drink a lot of water anyway, but especially after being in the ocean. We've only ever been on one other cruise, but the one we were on, one of the couples in our party had been in the ocean snorkeling, had gotten a lot of sun on the cruise, had gotten a massage, and didn't respond very well (got sick). After she got back home she was hospitalized for a couple of days. May depend on how deep the massage goes, too. And I'd imagine this type of reaction is rare, but I do recall what I mention above were her circumstances.

I wouldn't let this stop me, but I would drink a lot of water.

As a massage therapist I have to weigh in on this one. I'm sorry someone became sick after the massage, or on any vacation. Without knowing all the details specific to this person, I would suspect the sun and dehydration likely had more to do with the illness then the massage. and of course if there were other underlying medical conditions that weren't disclosed.

Regardless of when or where you get a massage a person should always drink plenty of water before and after the massage and limit alcohol intake, especially before the treatment.

A relaxation massage on vacation is great. However I always caution my clients about getting a therapeutic treatment as often a person can be sore from one and no one wants to be sore after a treatment while on vacation. You should have any therapeutic treatments closer to home so that you can have the professional follow up with you.

Happy sails

Unless your husband is used to deep tissue massage be sure and ask for a "spa" massage. I was told this after I had a massage that left me sore for a couple days. Just not for me, but my husband loved his. I think it was called "head to toe" as a facial was included + a scalp massage for $139.

Sales pitch was almost funny, but they do take no for an answer.

Jan

Cool, but will it be hard to get one on the sea days?

No it wont- they will offer specials on every day, just different kinds- and have him do what i had my Dh do-- when it comes time for the sales pitch- just have him tell them that he cant buy anything or his wife will kill him!!

also if you purchase a treatment they will let you use the Thermal suite area as well for that day..

As a massage therapist I have to weigh in on this one. I'm sorry someone became sick after the massage, or on any vacation. Without knowing all the details specific to this person, I would suspect the sun and dehydration likely had more to do with the illness then the massage. and of course if there were other underlying medical conditions that weren't disclosed.

Regardless of when or where you get a massage a person should always drink plenty of water before and after the massage and limit alcohol intake, especially before the treatment.

A relaxation massage on vacation is great. However I always caution my clients about getting a therapeutic treatment as often a person can be sore from one and no one wants to be sore after a treatment while on vacation. You should have any therapeutic treatments closer to home so that you can have the professional follow up with you.

Happy sails

will you be doing massages on the Ruby? If so, please bring a sign-up sheet to the sailaway. You'll probably be too busy on tuesday tho, and the newlyweds will probably need massages on wednesday !!! Mike in CT

My husband and I treated ourselves to dual massages last year on the Island Princess, and we were very disappointed. Our two massage tables were squeezed into a tiny room that barely had room for one table (we felt like we were in a broom closet), and the massage therapists just were't that good; they didn't seem to have the strength or technique that other massage therapists have had. There were repeated subtle and not-so-subtle sales pitches for other spa services, including not-so-subtle pitches for their tip. We often treat ourselves to a massage when we travel, so we know what a good massage feels like, and this wasn't it. I wouldn't repeat it.

Just off CB Sunday. Both DH and myself think the prices are about double what they should be. Two days before our cruise ended they had a "silent auction" with a min bid of 50% of the cost of the service. DH bid and we won the couples massage for $130.00. They did not have the couples room the next day (sea day) so they put us in separate rooms which was fine. We both enjoyed the service but would never pay the full price listed.

Although it is a very nice extra perk on a cruise, I feel the prices are way out of line compared to a land based massage. On a weekly bases I get a 1 hour massage for 60.00. I have had numerous massages over the years on the ships, and although nice...I feel the price is very high.

Only once did I get a sales pitch to buy any products afterwards......

BK

I have gotten massages on several Princess ships. I have always found the massage therapists to be very experienced and professional. I prefer deep tissue and believe me they deliver, so be careful if taking that route. But I have not ever had a post massage sales pitch. On the other hand, my DW usually has to endure a sales pitch after her massage on Princess, I believe they target females more so than males for that. But if it were me, I would appreciate such a gift for my b-day. Prices are probably 20-25% higher than most US cities, but it is on the ocean. I found the atmosphere in the Lotus Spa to be very relaxing.

I haven't done one yet, but I'm strongly thinking of doing it on our next cruise- just been too busy with other things:). I agree that prices are higher than you get back home, but it's more than just the massage.

It does take place at a spa (ship.) Generally that includes some extras- access to sauna/steam something to that affect. And of course the atmosphere is typically better.

So yeah, it may be more, but it's more than just the actual massage IMO. Kind of like restaurants. One pays more for the atmosphere and the other touches.

Did one on the Star to Alaska and won't do it again...yes, they are priced like a spa or a resort rather than your home town, but the sales pitch wouldn't stop even after I told her that what she was saying was ridiculous and had no scientific basis. She even said she'd leave the back up info at my cabin but never did.

That all depends on how much "it" you care to part with. Now I, being the cosumate cheapskate, prefer to enjoy massages in port and thus retain about 75% of "it". A message in a shaded hut looking out over the tranquil Caribbean is a very fine experience. Search for Info in the port boards.

Archived