Can we please put the "Caribbean" back in Royal Caribbean

Thanks Oceanboy..The main thing I am worried about is that my last cruise was on the Freedom and the one before that was the Mariner which both have the Royal Promenade. I loved it. We will also have some older teens with us (18 &19) that I am hoping will be entertained. I am thinking with the port heavy itenerary, it will be ok.

We sailed Explorer and Mariner before we did Serenade. We, like you, love the Royal Promenade. We did miss it when we were on Serenade. But we still had a great cruise on that ship. We sailed Adventure after Serenade as we do prefer that class. Every time that I have taken my parents along after the cruise on Serenade the first thing my mother asks me is if the ship has a Promenade. She really missed hanging out at the Café Promenade and watching the world go by.

Edited by Ocean Boy

I would agree that there are not enough itineraries in the Caribbean. We have been on 9 RC cruises with two more scheduled, and I am getting tired of visiting the same islands.

I prefer to depart from Florida rather than flying to San Juan.

We're thinking of booking Celebrity the next time. They have some nice 10 and 14 day cruises that visit some of the less visited islands. Hopefully RC will offer some additional itineraries in the future.

Imagine being someone who doesn't fly! San Juan isn't even an option. Baltimore is a great port but with Celebrity leaving as of the current Mercury cruise, we're left with just the Enchantment and the Carnival Pride. No way will I sail Carnival. Of course, no way will I sail the Oasis or the Allure. Don't want to travel on the equivalent of a small town, to be 'nickled and dimed' and to have to reserve shows well in advance of sailing. I fear the cruise industry will push to the point that we'll have few options left and will loose the joy of sailing where we want and when we want.

My fingers are soar and my eyes exhausted after trying to find a decent Caribbean Cruise. My conlusion - they don't exist.

Remember in 2006 when the Brilliance OTS did that nice 11 night Southern Caribbean Itinerary from Miami?

Or right now with the Liberty OTS doing 8 night Eastern Caribbean out of Miami?

They seem to be all gone for fall of 2011 and spring of 2012. I don't want to be on a ship for 5 nights and go to Mexico - I want to go down to the Eastern Caribbean! New ports! Different sizes of ships!

It seems that RCL is letting the Allure & Oasis handle the 7 Night Caribbean markets out of S. Florida. Frankly, that is not the experience I am looking for.

I am hoping, praying, that RCL will put the "Caribbean" back in their name with the new deployment schedule coming out in March & April.

Am I the only one feeling that I am now sailing on Royal International?

We just returned from a 10 night cruise on the Jewel that went to several ports in the Caribbean that are not typically visited (Cartegena, Costa Rica, Panama along with Labadee and Grand Cayman. Had we stayed onboard for the following cruise we would have visited Aruba. Last year's 13 night repositioning cruise from Boston went to St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Dominica, Barbados, Aruba and Curaçao and this year's will visit St. Lucia and St. Kitts as part of its 14 night repositioning. If we wish to sail out of San Juan there are at least two different itineraries that offer a variety of Caribbean ports. I don't think that you are looking at the itineraries carefully enough if you feel that the Caribbean is somehow missing from RCI's itineraries. The cruise line is called Royal Caribbean International because it offers a world wide range of cruise itineraries and the very fact that they seem to be filling their ships on a regular basis would seem to indicate to me at least that they have successfully gauged their clientele and are offering the variety of itineraries both in the Caribbean and elsewhere that appeal to veteran as well as first time cruisers. Your view is possibly a minority opinion and perhaps you need to reexamine your initial premise because I don't believe that it is supported by the facts.:)

Edited by negc

It's amazing to me.....how in the past what.....3 years..that we have so many fewer choices, than we used to have.

I'm not blaming anyone. My DW wants to have a weeks "feel" of the Allure, and I have to go along with that....as she wants to see many more of the venues than we could experience on the 2 night Pre Inaugural.

It's a floating city.......and with the itineraries....why even get off the ship.

Can I get away with being a NOOTS........just because we are going to try the Allure.........for my DW?

Rick

We fell in love with the Southern Caribbean itineraries offered on the Jewel when doing the 11 and 10 night cruises this year and last. We would have continued in future years but RCL has pulled the plug on our future plans. The Jewel no longer will be sailing out of Fort Lauderdale in late 2011/ early2012 but will be going out of Tampa going to Mexico on 4 and 5 night cruises. There is no replacement ship for its old itineraries out of FLL. We cannot and will not travel to San Juan to catch a cruise due to our ages and handicaps. Looks like going on Celebrity will be in our plans if they have similar itineraries from Florida.

Edited by Scotty G

Can I get away with being a NOOTS........just because we are going to try the Allure.........for my DW?

Rick

Likely yes....bet she would have a list of things she did to make you happy over the years, so may as well go along and have a week on Allure.

I may end up there on 11 Dec mixed in with a bunch of folks I know going that sailing.

Of course you could go do Brilliance Repo thru the Suez...

But some people can't cruise just anytime of the year...

The side effect of pulling all your ships to Europe? Alienate American families who mainly cruise in the Summer.

Another side effect of pulling all your ships to Europe is alienating all those American families who cannot really afford to cruise and replacing them with the European families who have far more money - and are willing to spend it on a cruise.

We just returned from a 10 night cruise on the Jewel that went to several ports in the Caribbean that are not typically visited (Cartegena, Costa Rica, Panama along with Labadee and Grand Cayman. Had we stayed onboard for the following cruise we would have visited Aruba. Last year's 13 night repositioning cruise from Boston went to St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Dominica, Barbados, Aruba and Curaçao and this year's will visit St. Lucia and St. Kitts as part of its 14 night repositioning. If we wish to sail out of San Juan there are at least two different itineraries that offer a variety of Caribbean ports. I don't think that you are looking at the itineraries carefully enough if you feel that the Caribbean is somehow missing from RCI's itineraries. The cruise line is called Royal Caribbean International because it offers a world wide range of cruise itineraries and the very fact that they seem to be filling their ships on a regular basis would seem to indicate to me at least that they have successfully gauged their clientele and are offering the variety of itineraries both in the Caribbean and elsewhere that appeal to veteran as well as first time cruisers. Your view is possibly a minority opinion and perhaps you need to reexamine your initial premise because I don't believe that it is supported by the facts.:)

See my post above (#35). While on our 10 night last month there were several folks who wanted to continue doing the 11 or 10 night Southern Caribbean on the Jewel in future years but were sorely disappointed that it was being eliminated next season. It is supported by what I heard and what we believe. Maybe you have the wrong information that formed your opinion. ;)

Edited by Scotty G

Another side effect of pulling all your ships to Europe is alienating all those American families who cannot really afford to cruise and replacing them with the European families who have far more money - and are willing to spend it on a cruise.

Yes, and it's very wise to alienate people in your 'home' country... :rolleyes:

We've sailed both Oasis and Allure, and absolutely loved both ships! LOVE Labadee....but do we want to go to Cozumel again....NO. Costa Maya...No. But lately, we've chosen the SHIP as our destination, not the itinerary. That being said, I do wish we had more itinerary options, but we would gladly sail on Oasis and Allure in the future. I enjoy the ships, and gladly remain ON BOARD to enjoy the ship if we are in a port that doesn't interest us anymore. The entertainment options on board these mega ships is incredible. Yes, there is still a price premium. But, with so much to do on board, it's worth it. Once again, though, I can't believe that Majesty is soon to be the ONLY RCCL option out of Miami.....their HEADQUARTERS!

I agree. A great cruise would be a 14 day southern Caribbean cruise roundtrip from Ft. Lauderdale on a Radiance class ship. Islands like Curacao, Grenada, Bonaire, Trinidad, etc. We did a 14 day itinerary like that on the Constellation and the Grand Princess, but the Radiance class ship is our our favorite. Would book this cruise in a heartbeat - for both our fall AND spring cruise!

More money (sometimes) but what's more important is how much vacation time everyone gets in Europe! Min 4 weeks paid vacation and sick time if you need it is not deducted from vacation time. In our case we get more like 7 weeks vacation which my husband never takes because he's an American working in Europe and he feels that's just too much. You have to do something with all that time and owning a vacation home is fine but doesn't have the allure it had 20+ years ago. Lots of potential for cruise companies in Europe.

Dear friends:

RCCL is out to sell their cruises and earn money. Don't you think that if they could, in fact sell out a "14 Day Southern Caribbean Cruise" -- they would definitely schedule and market it?

RCCL has a global vision. Cruising is not just for North Americans.

Winter is high season in Florida and the Caribbean. Winter is low season in Europe. So in Winter most of the ships are in Florida and the Caribbean and only about two ships at any given time are in Europe.

Summer is low season in Florida and the Caribbean (except for families going to Orlando). Summer is peak season in Europe. So in Summer peak season RCCL has a great deal of ships in Europe, while still maintaining ships in several cities of Florida, New Jersey, Baltimore, etc.

And then you complain about Florida boasting the two largest ships in the world on a year-round basis. Believe me, we would love to have those two ships based here in Barcelona. Unfortunately, they were not really built for European cruising and most European ports would have to be rebuilt to accommodate them.

RCCL also takes advantage of the local Asian market and maintains seasonal ships there.

And RCCL has been catering to the extremely wealthy and high-spending Brazilian market by stationing at least one, and sometimes two ships to homeport in Brazil during their summer (our winter) season.

They are far more diversified than the were years ago and there is something on offer for everyone and for every region of the world.

Why is that bad?

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

I agree. A great cruise would be a 14 day southern Caribbean cruise roundtrip from Ft. Lauderdale on a Radiance class ship. Islands like Curacao, Grenada, Bonaire, Trinidad, etc. We did a 14 day itinerary like that on the Constellation and the Grand Princess, but the Radiance class ship is our our favorite. Would book this cruise in a heartbeat - for both our fall AND spring cruise!

I agree. We have just booked the 14 night exotic southern caribbean cruise on X Constellation......but if RCCL sailed a radiance class ship on this route that would have been our choice.

I agree. I wish Royal Caribbean had longer itineraries from Miami or Ft. Lauderdale. Or really anywhere in Florida. I just finished a great 14 day southern carib itinerary from Princess. As good as the itineraries are from San Juan I'd rather spend the extra money of flying to San Juan on a longer cruise from Florida.

You are expressing my thoughts exactly.

Living in the UK we don't want to "cross the pond" for a one week cruise and we have done a B2B eastern/western Caribbean cruise.

A 14 night Southern Caribbean out of Florida would be perfect because Brits can fly to Miami a lot cheaper than to San Juan.

I personally, am not a fan of Mediterranean cruises. I'm not a fan of the Med full stop.....and so we always need to factor in a large flight bill to our cruises.

Cruises from NJ are of course another option open to us but then we have to "waste" a day or so before getting to the precious sunshine. I'm not suggesting time on a cruise is wasted :) but we don't get a lot of hot weather over here and one reason for cruising the Caribbean is the almost guaranteed sun.

Sandra

Dear friends:

We flew from Europe, spent a few days in Manhattan, and then took the 12 night Explorer cruise from New Jersey. We loved it.

Those first two days getting down to the Caribbean, and the three days to go back up actually felt like we were on a transatlantic cruise with a journey in mind and not just island hopping every day.

To be right across from the Statute of Liberty and Empire State Building and then to sail under the Verazzano bridge were experiences we will never forget.

And we fit in Christmas shopping in New York before and after the cruise.

One of the best trips of our life.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Agree with what most of you are saying. Right now we are looking at a 9 night out of NJ to get to some of the "other" islands because SJ is just too cost prohibitive. There are also cruisers like my sis who like to drive to their port. Can't really drive to SJ but that's what you are forced to do.

Allure and Oasis are great but there are simply folks who don't like the size of the ship. I'm loyal to Royal but after this next sailing I guess we'll try some of the other lines.

Dear friends:

RCCL is out to sell their cruises and earn money. Don't you think that if they could, in fact sell out a "14 Day Southern Caribbean Cruise" -- they would definitely schedule and market it?

RCCL has a global vision. Cruising is not just for North Americans.

Winter is high season in Florida and the Caribbean. Winter is low season in Europe. So in Winter most of the ships are in Florida and the Caribbean and only about two ships at any given time are in Europe.

Summer is low season in Florida and the Caribbean (except for families going to Orlando). Summer is peak season in Europe. So in Summer peak season RCCL has a great deal of ships in Europe, while still maintaining ships in several cities of Florida, New Jersey, Baltimore, etc.

And then you complain about Florida boasting the two largest ships in the world on a year-round basis. Believe me, we would love to have those two ships based here in Barcelona. Unfortunately, they were not really built for European cruising and most European ports would have to be rebuilt to accommodate them.

RCCL also takes advantage of the local Asian market and maintains seasonal ships there.

And RCCL has been catering to the extremely wealthy and high-spending Brazilian market by stationing at least one, and sometimes two ships to homeport in Brazil during their summer (our winter) season.

They are far more diversified than the were years ago and there is something on offer for everyone and for every region of the world.

Why is that bad?

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Great Post. You are one of the few here that actually gets it.

RC is going to position their ships where they will sail at over 100% capacity, and for top dollar.

Why would they keep ships in itins that will jeopardize that. No one wants to sail the carib in summer and early fall when it is hurricane season, unless they are looking for a bargain. RC is not out to give the cabins away just so the ships can be full.

For those who want the 10-11,14 day cruises, there is a reason RC is pulling back on those as well. The 10 and 11 day cruises did nor sell very well. Lots of fire sales to get rid of cabins the last 2 years on the Jewel sailings out of FLL.

Oasis and Allure were built for the carib and for the most popular ports. While they would love to have all of the repeat business pax, they are wanting to attract new cruisers as well. This does just that for them.

Celebrity has some great itins in the caribbean with their solstace class ships. Just not in summer and fall.