My co-worker insists that you didn't always have to pay for soda

tropical.dreams

We were talking today and he said that when he went on his Carnival cruise 8 years ago, there was soda at the buffets for free.

Now, it's been a while, but around that time, I worked in a travel agency and went on 2 cruises a few years prior, and don't remember that being true.

So tell me...has there ever been free soda and I'm just not remembering, or is he crazy?

Back in the dark ages, when I started cruising...in the mid 70's and up to about the mid 80's, soft drinks were free.

But, then, drinks were 1.50-2.00 each, with the daily specials 50-75 cents. Bingo was 1.00 a game/6 for 5.00, slots were loose, you could bring your own booze onboard....even a blender if you wished..also your guitar, banjo, boom box.....whatever. Nobody blinked an eye if a woman took off her top to sunbathe at the pool.

Rarely any children...and the few that might turn up once in awhile had nothing to do..no childrens programs, baby sitters and they weren't permitted in the pool except for certain hours.

There were toga parties, conga lines in the dining room to the top deck, orchestras, steel bands on the lido all day.

The ship was met on the dock by island dancers. In Jamaica, they used to hand out Calico Jacks to ever passenger that came down the gangway...free..

Island entertainers would board the ship at his/her island...stay a coupla days, provide the entertainment, get off at the next island.

Needless, to say, things have changed.......:D

Back in the dark ages' date=' when I started cruising...in the mid 70's and up to about the mid 80's, soft drinks were free.

But, then, drinks were 1.50-2.00 each, with the daily specials 50-75 cents. Bingo was 1.00 a game/6 for 5.00, slots were loose, you could bring your own booze onboard....even a blender if you wished..also your guitar, banjo, boom box.....whatever. Nobody blinked an eye if a woman took off her top to sunbathe at the pool.

Rarely any children...and the few that might turn up once in awhile had nothing to do..no childrens programs, baby sitters and they weren't permitted in the pool except for certain hours.

There were toga parties, conga lines in the dining room to the top deck, orchestras, steel bands on the lido all day.

The ship was met on the dock by island dancers. In Jamaica, they used to hand out Calico Jacks to ever passenger that came down the gangway...free..

Island entertainers would board the ship at his/her island...stay a coupla days, provide the entertainment, get off at the next island.

Needless, to say, things have changed.......:D[/quote']

And where did my Lido deck horse racing go???:(

And where did my Lido deck horse racing go???:(

Oh i so remember that. On my first cruise in 83 on the SS Rotterdam, they had that. And they would auction the horses for one race at the end of the cruise where the owner of the horse ( who was my father) got alot of money. Good times.

Oh and also on that same cruise they served African Rock Lobster tails the size of my forearm. Order extra? Shoot you couldnt finish the first one.

I agree with the free soda's in the dining room. They only did it for kids and they changed their policy a few years ago but I know for sure Carnival did offer this as my DD enjoyed this perk most nights with dinner and was disappointed when they changed it.

No free sodas at buffet on any cruiseline in my experience. Only time we ever got soda free was on a riverboat cruise when my DH asked for it instead of wine with dinner.

Free fountain soda on Disney.... on deck just outside the buffet area

Years ago, there was an "unwritten" perk that was extended to children under the age of 12 of free soda in the Main Dining Room at dinner.

My children were "asked" if they wanted soda and it was given to them for free.

BUT, Carnival stopped that at least 5 years ago.....

Archived