Win a 9-Night Crossing in HAL's Transatlantic Writing Contest - Plus Win Swag From CC

Dan Askin

The Noordam, I've sailed twice on the new one ,but my very first cruise was on the old Noordam which hooked me onto cruising. Then there was the Volendam which we sailed to Alaska and alo through the Panama. Oh yes the Majestic Eurodam,where we celebrated Christmas and New Years on; and then there is the Massdam that I toured and had lunch on. Oh there are so many ships and so many ports, if only we could sail them all and see them all. Our next cruise is this summer touring Northern Europe. Whatevere ship we are on the crew make the cruise extra special from the captain on down to the workers who keep everything running smooth. Horray for Holland America.

My first cruise was on the Rotterdam V or VI to Alaska. I sailed to Antartica on the Newer Rotterdam in 2008. Then I sailed on the Rotterdam to Rotterdam in May 2009. it is a grand and familiar ship and of the many "Dam" ships I have cruised on I have my fondest memories of this ship

HAL's nearly century-long tradition of offering regular transatlantic service ended in 1971, when the line dedicated itself to pleasure cruising. To celebrate the 40th anniversary of its evolution from a traditional Atlantic crossing company, it's holding a story contest. Submit your most memorable Holland America Line transatlantic voyage ... and you could win a nine-day "Classic Crossing" for two." Find out how to enter the contest here.

I am working on a short entry for the transatlantic writing contest. In 2008 I took my first cruise ever on the Westerdam celebrating my 20th wedding anniversary and my 40th anniversary of the transatlantic crossing in 1968 on the Rotterdam when I was 11 months old. My parents were moving from Holland where I was born to the US. My favorite HAL ship so far is the Eurodam. Love the Tamarind!

Diane

I'm just off of the MS Nieuw Amsterdam and find myself with a "nieuw" favorite HAL ship.

My first was the Zuiderdam and this made me love HAL.

Then there was the Eurodam, a generational improvement on the Vista class.

Next was the Westerdam, very familiar though new to me.

Back again on the Eurodam, and no it didn't seem bigger only better.

I will soon be on the Oosterdam which will make 3 out of 4 of the Vistas.

But, I don't expect anything to soon replace the Nieuw Amsterdam as my favorite.

Even though she is built from the same blue prints as the already appreciated Eurodam, there are some refinements and decor details that make a huge difference.

While feeling totally familiar, the "look" of the ship is contemporary & classic & Deco & fresh & stylish & subtle all at the same time. Well done.

I certainly would love to do a TA on her.

r.

I am working on a short entry for the transatlantic writing contest. In 2008 I took my first cruise ever on the Westerdam celebrating my 20th wedding anniversary and my 40th anniversary of the transatlantic crossing in 1968 on the Rotterdam when I was 11 months old. My parents were moving from Holland where I was born to the US. My favorite HAL ship so far is the Eurodam. Love the Tamarind!

Diane

That's great Diane ... best of luck in the contest.

We are still looking for our most favourite Hal ship - so far the Zaandam (twice), the Veendam, the Amsterdam, the Rotterdam, the Statendam and the most recent the Noordam all are. Now we are going to check out the Eurodam. Will let you know if she wins. Hope not, there are still more Hal ships to check out.

• 2 weeks later...

We love the Zaandam. My little cousin graduated from High School at 19(she is mentally disabled) and wanted to be a princess. So we went out and bought evening gowns and all sorts of frilly things. For her to be a princess on the ship.

The crew were excellent, the never once said anything about the girl dressed in a wedding dress for dinner or an evening dress for afternoon tea.

On April 1, 1926, my father-in-law left Rotterdam on the Nieuw Amsterdam for a new life in the United States. I still have his ticket receipt for "zweiter klasse," $135.00, and a bound booklet containing the passenger list. He arrived in Hoboken, New Jersey, moved to Cleveland, taught himself English and eventually founded a successful engineering firm.

In October, my husband, age 75 and his father's only child, and I will make the transatlantic crossing on the new Neiuw Amsterdam. What a time of pride and nostalgia for us. We have sailed on many ships, but not yet on the NA. Still, it's our favorite Holland America ship!

Archived