Solo Traveler pricing question

mabert

I am a solo traveler and often pay a 100% surcharge for travel.

However, when I look at pricing 6 months out or longer, the surcharge varies from 40 to 60%.

So it can be that waiting for a 'better' per person price results in the same price I pay for my cabin as if I had booked earlier.

Does anyone have guidance on the metrics of the HAL pricing for singles, i.e. when do they increase the surcharge to 100%. Is it at the 75 or 90 day final payment date?

If not, I'll start a little research project. Or, I guess I could just call them and ask.

Miriam

The single supplement can run as high as 140% to 160% as some have found in this recent thread

Single Supplement

and it will vary depending upon how full or empty the ship is and how many single cabins there are. AFAIK there isn't a set date to raise the single supplement as you'd wondered, more based on occupancy.

I would book a good rate and keep watching until final payment approaches but on my recent Eurodam cruise pricing didn't get better the closer to sailing I got. Good luck! :)

Maybe this is a good place to ask this: with price fluctuations-

does anyone know if when you book for a trip for 2, should one bow out, when is the solo supplement determined? (would it be what was in effect on the day the cabin was reserved or one the day the change was made?)

And if one books as a solo, but gets another to book and share cabin, when the new pax rate is set. (would they get the deal available when the cabin was booked? )

I agree...i do not think that there is any rhyme or reason, just depends on the cruise and occupancy levels. Expect to pay 150%, and if you can get a lower rate so be it. Book at a price that you are comfortable with, and keep looking for price drops up until final payment.

"Crystal is about 10 notches above HAL, but their lowest single supplement is 25%."

While that is the general policy, they have gone as far as completely waiving the single supplement on cruises when they get desperate for passengers.

" Crystal prices are at least twice HAL's to start"

They generally are but if you are paying a 100% SS, you can get a much better deal on Crystal at times. While not single supplement, we have been able to get balcony cabins on Crystal for less than $200 pp per day by booking late.

Gary

Does HAL charge solo passengers the automatic gratuity for one passenger or two?

One. We're only one seat at the table, one meal for the "behind the scenes" people, one set of towels. Many, if not most, of us add a little something to the rate.

"Crystal is about 10 notches above HAL, but their lowest single supplement is 25%."

While that is the general policy, they have gone as far as completely waiving the single supplement on cruises when they get desperate for passengers.

" Crystal prices are at least twice HAL's to start"

They generally are but if you are paying a 100% SS, you can get a much better deal on Crystal at times. While not single supplement, we have been able to get balcony cabins on Crystal for less than $200 pp per day by booking late.

Gary

Could you please cite a specific cruise where Crystal waived the single supplement and one where you were able to get a balcony for less than $200/pp/day?!?!

TT-I have not been on Crystal for 3-4 years but I do recall them completely waiving the single supplement on the April 29, 2006 sailing of Crystal Symphony (Big Band Theme) and have seen the supplement as low as 10% in mailings we receive from them. We had a rate of under $200 for the final cruise of the Crystal Harmony to Mexico from LA in late 2006 for a category B verandah as I recall. It was too tempting to turn down. Do you want to review my receipts?

I have found that certain travel agents are able to do very creative work for lines they often work with. I think the best deal we have ever gotten was $175 pppd for The World by Residensea because the specific agent we used was very much on top of their supply and demand situation during the time the ship was being sold.

Gary

TT-I have not been on Crystal for 3-4 years but I do recall them completely waiving the single supplement on the April 29, 2006 sailing of Crystal Symphony (Big Band Theme) and have seen the supplement as low as 10% in mailings we receive from them. We had a rate of under $200 for the final cruise of the Crystal Harmony to Mexico from LA in late 2006 for a category B verandah as I recall. It was too tempting to turn down. Do you want to review my receipts?

I have found that certain travel agents are able to do very creative work for lines they often work with. I think the best deal we have ever gotten was $175 pppd for The World by Residensea because the specific agent we used was very much on top of their supply and demand situation during the time the ship was being sold.

Gary

You'll never see those prices (less than $200) from Crystal again! That was when they had the 3 ships and Harmony was leaving the fleet. Just don't want anyone to expect that rate. Also, even though Crystal has been discounting some "less than desireable" (i.e. Mexican Riviera) cruises recently, they have not lowered the single supplement on any of them. Just don't want anyone to get their hopes up!

I guess I am the perennial optimist. I am closely watching a couple of Crystal trips this Spring and if the price is right I will go but it will always be a late booking because their regular pricing is not competitive from a value standpoint to HAL.

I think everyone should always have high hopes and not give up on Crystal believing their "rack rates." They do go down and if you are able to work around their schedule and not your own, there can be values.

Gary

Archived