pashminas in greece

Scorpiorose

so...after all the advise on buying pashminas in Greece on my cruise, why would I do that when I could but "on-line" for this....

http://www.nimli.com/items_2155.html#

http://www.pashminaboutique.com/pucashwisl.html

What do you think.....I wont plan on buying one there if I can get it cheaper on line.....right....am I missing something?

You can buy anything and everything (well just about) on line - including pashminas, greek jewellery, greek "evil eye" items, etc., etc.

However, I rather like the idea of bringing some of these home either as gifts for friends and/or relatives or simply as a momento of my trip. Buying something like these items on line is just not the same IMHO.

A further comment - many of the pashmina shawls/scarves in Greece & Turkey have a design interwoven in the fabric (jacard ?) and are more attractive than the plain ones seen in the links you provided. Again just my humble opinion.

Yep, I could have bought a beautiful papyrus online - but I bought one in Egypt. I could have bought a gold Florentine coin online but I bought one in Florence on the Ponte Vecchio...... I could have.... - well, you get the idea.

These are souveniers for me. Reminders of my travels.

And the one I bought as posted previously, was nothing like those..... instead all hand embroidered and very unique.

so...after all the advise on buying pashminas in Greece on my cruise, why would I do that when I could but "on-line" for this....

What's your hurry? Three days ago you were asking "What are pashminas?" Now you want it "now."

Take the list of prices from various sources (including Nordstroms) with you. When you see them during your cruise, decide whether you like those better than the ones you can buy at home.

As to whether a pashmina is really Greek, well not really. Will it still make a nice souvenir from your travels? Yes, it will. It doesn't have the same Greek affinity or origin as a papyrus has with Egypt or a Florentine gold coin with Florence that texancruzer bought in the original countries. Still, you may find some design in scarves and shawls that you buy in Greece (pashminas or not) that you will not find elsewhere.

So, relax, shop around here and during your cruise. You'll be able to make a better decision.

No hurry, I'm not thinking of buying right now on line. I am just surprised to find these things double in price if you buy them on the trip.

I think it's good to know what you could pay for something before being in port and not knowing how to negotiate a fair price. So this all helps!

However, I like the idea of buying something that has a unique feature, hand embroidered piece, that I couldn't buy on line.

This goes for Venetian Glass as well, I've found out. Knowing what I can pay for it on line gives me an idea, if I find that special piece what I'd be willing to pay for it in port.

we found incredibly lovely and wonderfully priced pashminas in Venice, but didn't see them in Corfu or Delphi when we we cruised. Whether they were authetically pashminas-probably not. I believe I bought 2 at $8 euros each. Love them!

that sounds great for gifts....I will probably bring some of those back!!! Thanks

• 2 months later...

Most pashminas are likely made in India or Pakistan. I brought back about 20 last Christmas to my sisters and nieces (from Saudi Arabia) and they LOVED them. They're a great gift....but not likely 'Greek'.

JMHO.... Jodie

And don't forget the exchange rate. Almost anything you buy in Europe is going to cost more than we could get it here in the US for in $$ rather than EUROs.

As other posters have said, it's the idea that it came from Italy or Greece or Egypt, more than the actual item itself. I believe in '08, we were seeing them for 2 for 20 EURO, and they were all very pretty. I bought a paisley print that was gorgeous for 8 EURO in Venice. At the time we were there, that was around $16.00.

I collect thimbles, so I try to get one from each place I travel. Are they made in that place, NOT. Probably all come from China. But they have an emblem or photo or name of the place I'm visiting.

Happy travels.

Unless you collect something, like agabbymama, I'm not sure why you'd particularly want to get pashminas in Greece -- they aren't traditionally Greek nor are they likely made in Greece. :confused:

Instead, if you're looking for small gift items, I'd suggest something like olive oil soap or lotion, "evil eye" bracelets or pendants, worry beads, or something like a small painted tile or print.

I like to buy small bottles of olive oil and honey in Greece. Last year I bought bubble wrap at the UPS store before the cruise to wrap them. Some stores will wrap them for you there. I have never had any to break.

Olive oil soaps are good, and candies make very good gifts for the children on your list.

You might find that shopping time is limited. :)

Bobbie

Unless you collect something, like agabbymama, I'm not sure why you'd particularly want to get pashminas in Greece -- they aren't traditionally Greek nor are they likely made in Greece. :confused:

Instead, if you're looking for small gift items, I'd suggest something like olive oil soap or lotion, "evil eye" bracelets or pendants, worry beads, or something like a small painted tile or print.

Most likely made in China, and I doubt that they are really pashmina. Also, you certainly aren't going to need one walking around in Greece at the end of June, IME!

Archived