Breaking News: Another earthquake for Christchurch 6.3

For those that know Flynnbo (Judy & David), I have had a text that they ad the kids are OK. She has no phone charge left so I have no more details.

Awful devastation......loving thoughts and prayers heading across the ditch to our Kiwi brothers and sisters :(

3News: unconfirmed report that death toll could rise to 200-400 people.

David,

Such tragic news, we have been watching it here and can not believe the devastation, the beautiful Cathedral, which we stood in front of with the family only a couple of months ago, now ruins and the scene of tragedy, my heart goes out to the people.

Take care,

Chris & Marianne

For those that know Flynnbo (Judy & David), I have had a text that they ad the kids are OK. She has no phone charge left so I have no more details.

Awful devastation......loving thoughts and prayers heading across the ditch to our Kiwi brothers and sisters :(

Thanks Debsta,

Have been worried about them.....tried skyping & phoning with no luck, don't have their mobile no

So glad to hear they are OK,

Gaye :)

From a reporter who was on the Europa with the Captain. The boat shook and shook the lights and the chandelier fell down. The amased captain said what is this the reporter replied an earthquake. They looked out the window to see the local cathedral falling down and the cliffs collapsing. The epicentre of the earthquake was in the port of Lyttelton. The town was destroyed.

The Queen Mary has cancelled its call to Christchurch

From a reporter who was on the Europa with the Captain. The boat shook and shook the lights and the chandelier fell down. The amased captain said what is this the reporter replied an earthquake. They looked out the window to see the local cathedral falling down and the cliffs collapsing. The epicentre of the earthquake was in the port of Lyttelton. The town was destroyed.

The Queen Mary has cancelled its call to Christchurch

My heart goes out to everyone in Christchurch. What a devasting earthquake this has been. Buildings can be rebuilt but the loss of life is tragic. My sister and BIL are there on holiday. They did a segment of a world cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to Auckland and are spending this month touring NZ. They just crossed from the north island to the south and checked in to Christchurch two nights ago. Their hotel had been evaculated in the afternoon of the quake and no injuries have been reported so far. I believe that my DS and BIL were out of town on a day tour towards Arthur's Pass so they should be okay but have been unable to communicate with them. My DS has some health issues so I will be very relieved when we hear from them.

Sandy

we are to fly to Christchurch on Monday or may be we are not. I was talking to friend that live just out of Christchurch this morning They are all good where they are but as we were told by them in town its a mess and unless you are surposs to be there they / police, army stop you.

Heard last night of some of my relatives whose house is unliveable in Christchurch, but the family is safe. Family here in Australia have had difficulty in contacting them, A text message was sent through to Australia of the bad news. Family have been unable to contact them after the message.

What annoys me is the media tying up phone lines talking to residents about the quake, when it is coming across the screen to limit phone calls, and use text message. Or are the media exempt from that?

Lyttleton picks itself up after quake

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 » 07:23am

It is a tiny town at the heart of the jolt - and it shows.

Lyttelton, the pretty port village that proudly proclaims itself as the gateway to Christchurch, has been devastated by the 6.3 magnitude earthquake that struck New Zealand's second largest city just before 1pm (11am AEDT) on Tuesday.

full story and Photos at

http://bigpondnews.com/articles/NZQuake/2011/02/23/Lyttleton_picks_itself_up_after_quake_581018.html

One of our favorite photos is one taken in 2007 from our ship across the bay while in Lyttleton. It's so sad to realize that it may not look like this again for a long time to come. Our thoughts and best wishes are with all the people of New Zealand. Haven't figured out how to insert a larger picture - Click on photo to enlarge!

1909532861_135D13LyttletonChristchurch005.jpg.f4c014c92c291cd854d76c4b17a66c95.jpg

At least 75 people have been killed, with hundreds more missing, after a 6.3-magnitude earthquake rocked Christchurch, New Zealand yesterday.

UPDATE 9.29AM AEST

New Zealand Prime Minister confirms 75 fatalities which 55 people identified so far.

In a miraculous discovery, 15 people were found alive in a pocket in the CTV building.

There are still at least 300 people missing, including 100 Australians.

full story at

http://au.news.yahoo.com/christchurch-earthquake/a/-/article/8888253/widespread-devastation-in-christchurch/

One of our favorite photos is one taken in 2007 from our ship across the bay while in Lyttleton. It's so sad to realize that it may not look like this again for a long time to come. Our thoughts and best wishes are with all the people of New Zealand. Haven't figured out how to insert a larger picture - Click on photo to enlarge!

What a beautiful photo.....in fact it looks like a painting....I agree such a pretty place.

Jillybean:)

we are to fly to Christchurch on Monday or may be we are not. I was talking to friend that live just out of Christchurch this morning They are all good where they are but as we were told by them in town its a mess and unless you are surposs to be there they / police, army stop you.

Yes the CBD is off limits. The airport has reopened now but I'd advise against coming to spend time in the city for a few of weeks at least. There is no water or sewerage in most of the city. If you're flying in and heading out of town you will be fine.

Yes the CBD is off limits. The airport has reopened now but I'd advise against coming to spend time in the city for a few of weeks at least. There is no water or sewerage in most of the city. If you're flying in and heading out of town you will be fine.

yes not the best timeing as we did plan this awhile ago, we are to stay with friends but we are just waiting to see how is all pans out. the trip is all insured any way. and some how think that they do not people on hols there. and we can go another time if not this time.

Archived