Miami port question

Cruisedreamer1

I would think NO

People will not have gotten off the ship.... your luggage may get lost

I would contact Oceania or POM and ask

You did not mention how you will be touring? taxi? private company?

As for boarding sometimes they let you on earlier sometimes not but there is a waiting area in the port building

We have always arrived after 2pm & gotten on then

Enjoy the cruise

We boarded the Regatta in December at Miami. We were able to drop off our large bags around 10:30 am, but there is no where to leave your carry-on bags even once your are on the ship until the cabins are ready, normally around 1 pm but in our case it was much later. I'm not sure what time the checked bag drop off begins but I doubt it's as early in the morning as you would like.

The terminal had a seating area for waiting. They scheduled check-in for passengers in suites and concierge level to begin around 11 or 11:30. but there was a huge delay for our sailing due to a coast guard inspection. Other level of cabins were scheduled to start check-in at 1 pm. We were concierge level and managed to finally get on the ship around 12:30, got into our cabins around 2 pm, but never saw our checked luggage until 6 pm!

Situation was further complicated by inefficieny of port staff at check-in desk. They didn't really know what they were doing except for one older women, whom fortuantely we got. I was told that because there were some other larger ships embarking the same day our small ship got "the shaft."

You might want to look into a hotel near the airport with day rates and a shuttle so you can leave all your bags there which you tour around. There is a hop-on/hop-off tour bus that starts from the airport but call to double check their schedule as my husband discovered the times were different from what was on the website.

We are doing our own transfers so we would like to be as efficient as possible. I will check into the tour option from the airport.

Mu husband has brought up the idea of renting a car for 7 hours.

Does anyone know if it would be possible to rent from the airport and then leave it at the port or nearby?

We are so excited about our upcoming cruise. This will be our first Oceania cruise so we are especially looking forward to it.

We are doing our own transfers so we would like to be as efficient as possible. I will check into the tour option from the airport.

Mu husband has brought up the idea of renting a car for 7 hours.

Does anyone know if it would be possible to rent from the airport and then leave it at the port or nearby?

Check the Forida Forum I cannot recall the car rental company but they have a location near the port & will shuttle you to the port after drop off

Enjoy the cruise

This Hertz location has a shuttle to the port:

Miami Downtown HLE

354 Southeast 1st Street

Miami, Florida 33131

United States

Phone : 786-425-2515

There should be no problem picking up the car at the airport and dropping it off here (but check to be sure).

We had the same experience as Comcox but were not allowed out of the waiting (holding?) area until 2 pm to board the ship. We were allowed to check our luggage but not the carry-on. We didn't get to our cabin until 3 pm and the luggage was not there. This is a Miami port thing not an Oceania issue.

On the car note - we rented from Alamo in FLL and returned the car to the Miami airport where Alamo ran a shuttle to the port. This was in January 2010 so check before you rent since Miami moved all the car rentals to one building since then.

Archived