Voyager last Sunday questions

39august

Voyager left Monday morning around 10amish.

The fog on Sunday cleared at the pier but was foggier farther out. They had Ectasy come in first, which was actually due the day before and it docked at a different pier. Voyager came in followed closely by Conquest. The late arrival led to late departure on Sunday which was complicated by Conquest being hit by its fuel barge. Coast Guard had to come investigate and make sure no leaking fuel so no movement for Voyager. Once it was determined there was no damage, the fog had come in again so the ships were there until morning.

Conquest left first with Voyager close behind. Ectasy left last on a 3 day cruise to nowhere.

It was a mess getting into port.....The web cam showed it clearing in the channel, but offshore it was sitll foggy. Once the Port opened, it was a matter of getting pilots out to the ships, etc.

It docked somewhere around 11 or 11:30am. It was scheduled out that evening, but in rolled the fog again....It was blocked by Conquest. Conquest had a slight collision with the bunker fuel barge. This meant the Coast Guard shut down the area to inspect the barage and the ship to insure there were no fuel leaks and both vessels were sea worthy.

From what I understand, Voyager departed Later Monday morning.....Passengers were offered a small, note, small OBC for the inconvenience....

On our fog delayed sailing out of Galveston, we didn't depart until Tuesday morning...yes, 2 1/2 days of sitting at the dock. And there is nothing very pretty at this port to look at. We got no OBC, just a refund of port charges for a missed port.

They did offer a full cruise credit if you left the ship on Monday night and over 800 passengers left. Only good thing about that cruise was the lack of crowds anywhere. Even though we can drive to Galveston, we'll fly to Florida for our next Caribbean cruise. And we like the Eastern Caribbean ports better anyway.

So, I'm assuming the cruise line allows passengers to board the ship on Sunday so they can at least enjoy the onboard amenities?

Both lines turn the ships as quickly as possible. They don't really want a ton of passengers stuck on the dock waiting to get on, and those stuck coming in late...they want them off and on their way home as quickly as possible.

Now when the ship docks 6-7-8 hours late getting aboard will likely be delayed by that much as well...so it means you could be looking for things to do, thankfully Galveston has activities...easier when you have your own car etc...

How small? lol Thanks for the explanations. Do you know if she is missing any ports due to the late departure?

According to RCCL's info on Monday, Voyager was not going to miss any ports, would just lose one of her sea days. Passengers got I think $20 to compensate for missed meals at lunch. Conquest did have to alter her itinerary, substituting Progresso for Jamaica, and got a grand total of $15 for missing lunch on the ship. Ecstasy really got the shaft with the fog, turning the cruise into a 3 night cruise to nowhere, but those passengers were given refunds if they cancelled and/or obc and a future cruise credit if they still sailed.

yes, you can purchase alcoholic beverages. Due to Texas law, you will only be able to purchase beverages that were stocked onboard by a local distributor. RCI secures their alcohol supply from a Miami vendor, that vendor's supplies may not be opened and sold while the ship is in a Texas port.

Worry not, you can drink!

Lets hope we don't get part deaux this weekend. :rolleyes: Already looking grim for the return of the ill fated 3 day Gulf cruise. More fog on the docket for tomorrow morning.

just looked at the cruise cam; no fog. It's cloudy; we're due some rain but it's relatively clear (as compared to the last week or so!)

just looked at the cruise cam; no fog. It's cloudy; we're due some rain but it's relatively clear (as compared to the last week or so!)

The Elation docked a little late this morning. However, it is still sitting at the dock and will probably be there overnight until the fog lifts tomorrow morning sometime.

Tucker in Texas

The Ecstasy is fogged in Galveston again tonight! At least she's at her regular dock this time.

2829781940105476688S600x600Q85.jpg

2149051920105476688S600x600Q85.jpg

Oh, and Tucker in Texas, please don't get CCL-E mixed up with the other CCL-E. You wouldn't get VOTS mixed up with the other VOTS, would you? :D The Elation hasn't departed from Galveston for several years.

The Ecstasy is fogged in Galveston again tonight! At least she's at her regular dock this time.

2829781940105476688S600x600Q85.jpg

2149051920105476688S600x600Q85.jpg

Oh, and Tucker in Texas, please don't get CCL-E mixed up with the other CCL-E. You wouldn't get VOTS mixed up with the other VOTS, would you? :D The Elation hasn't departed from Galveston for several years.

I stand corrected. I haven't been on Carnival out of Galveston since the Celebration. Love the VOTS and will miss her when she's gone. I loved the Rhapsody, too. However, have booked the trans-Atlantic to bring the Mariner in.

Tucker in Texas

We sat out there in the roads for a few hours. They fed us twice and the bars were open. I recall the Sunday going out that only domestic alcohol could be sold.

One fact that came out, is that Voyager carries enough extra food on board that would last a week.

We sat out there in the roads for a few hours. They fed us twice and the bars were open. I recall the Sunday going out that only domestic alcohol could be sold.

One fact that came out, is that Voyager carries enough extra food on board that would last a week.

Last year on the Conquest my husband and I took the "Behind the Fun" tour. It was fascinating, and we learned about all the "extra" provisions a ship carries, and how they cycle food through their inventory. We learned that much of the food we consume on our cruises, especially early in the week, is actually the back-up/emergency provisions for the previous passengers.

Ships cruising out of US ports have to have enough food on-board to make it back to a US port for reprovisioning in case of emergency or delay...they aren't allowed to re-stock in a port of call. The food is seldom used, but in addition to short delays like the three ships experienced last weekend, there is occasionally a need for the back-up supplies. That's what kept passengers fed on the Conquest after Ike until the ship could get to New Orleans for reprovisioning.

That's my fascinating factoid of the day!;)

Archived