LIVE from the STAR PRINCESS - SANTIAGO TO RIO - FEB. 23, 2011

Pia1913

Welcome to Chile and the Star Princess. We arrived very early Monday morning (5:45 AM) after two easy flights from FLL to Bogota to Santiago. The airport gobbled our reciprocity fee ($140/pp) quick as can be, immigration was fast, grabbed a taxi, and were checked into the Intercontinental and in our room by 7:00 AM. Thank you Priority Club, because we were upgraded to executive level where not only did we end up with a small suite, but full breakfast and evening drinks/goodies was included too. After napping (yes, I know they tell you not to do that) for 4 hours, we went out to explore the area in search of a supermarket. We found a big one; bought 4 bottles of wine and 4 bottles of diet Pepsi. Total cost after conversion: a bit less than $26. Of course you will have to wait until we drink the wine to find out if we survived. We then meandered about again, and for those of you intending to take this cruise in the future, just a few blocks from the hotel is El Mundo del Vino, a gorgeous wine store, Applebees, Ruby Tuesdays and my very favorite; Starbucks. The weather was so beautiful that we had our coffee outdoors and spent an hour people watching.

On Tuesday we left the hotel shortly after nine, and right on our corner was the Hop On Hop Off bus. Cost: 18,000 pesos/pp (approx. $37). Having been here previously, the HOHO gave us access to areas we had not touched upon. Returned to hotel 5:00; a full, fun day. Princess had ship checkin at 6:00 and even though we stayed here on points, we bought their transfers and were able to do checkin too. At 7:00, as planned, we met a group from our roll call in the bar; sort of a pre M & G. Lots of fun people from everywhere, including a large group of Australians,

Early this AM our suitcases were collected from outside our door at 7:00 AM, though we didn’t depart the hotel until 10:45. Lots of Princess passengers here; 5 bus loads. We were on bus #4 which arrived into Valparaiso at 12:15. We offloaded, went into a building where all embarking passengers were in line. Not us. Those who had checked in at the hotel went to a separate table, presented our docs and were given our key cards immediately. BTW, we also relinquished our passports; they’ll give them back whenever. We then proceeded through security and boarded a shuttle bus which actually took us to the ship. No wonder we didn’t see water when we arrived.

OK. Now we officially begin our voyage. I hope, satellite permitting, to give you pertinent and not so pertinent information twice each day. Since we haven’t really looked everywhere as yet, the only new things I’ve noticed is the different layout on deck 5. I love the way they did the International Café with a separate coffee bar attached. Now there’s now need to get involved with the regular bar, which I’m sure makes for a better traffic pattern. We had a small lunch at the IC and used our old coffee cards. Just so you know, our coffee cards are the green ones; the ones the Coral issued two years ago when they ran out of the others. Nobody batted an eye. Also, the library is teeny weeny since it was incorporated into the internet café. This is not a good thing, but matters little to us since we are both traveling with fully loaded Kindles.

Our cabin is on Caribe and the balcony has two chairs, a table and two loungers. The passport to value coupon book is useless as always except for the free mug offer if you purchase a coffee card. The two free coupon books that we received from a travel agent promotion are basically useless since they removed the BOGO coffee card.

Our Captain is William Kent, the CD is Frank Castiglione, Hotel Mgr. Heather Harries and Maitre d’, Mario Propato. The usual welcome aboard show is at 10:00 and the movie Letters to Juliet will be shown in the Vista Lounge 8:15 and 10:15. Time is 2 hours ahead of EST and I will now try to post this opening message. I may not sign in again until tomorrow morning, so ask away and I’ll try to answer your questions.

Just so you know, I tried at 3:15 and it will not accept my info. Message says that I am not me or my cabin is not mine. In any event, will have to wait until café manager comes on duty at 6:00.

OK here we are at almost 6:30 and everything is supposed to be working fine. Just finished the longest muster on record, since it was done in 2 ½ languages and happily our suitcases are just arriving as I type. So I will say adios for now and hopefully this short novel will get posted. See you tomorrow. Oh, captain says we are in for rough weather next 24 hours.

Thanks, Pia. :) I'm assuming you used the Princess pre-cruise hotel package? That's what we plan to do a year from now.

FYI, in Valparaiso, the ship docks in a commercial port and is about a mile away from the check-in terminal. That's why you have to be bussed. A pain. And a good reason to keep your carry-on to a minimum.

Hi Pia,

I am glad you made it to the ship safely.

Interesting to hear about your Priority Club card since we recently got them, too.

Hold on to the railings tonight. That kind of reminds me of our time on the Golden with you in the opposite direction.

Have a great cruise.

Fran

For those of us, and there's lots, who will be doing your cruise next Feb/March, thank you so much for starting this thread. If possible, could you please post the temps in each port... that would be a big help!

Have a great cruise... Sandy

Hi Pia,

Wine from Chile is one of our favorites.However, as you know we drink Red wines (and we know what you drink).

Glad you were able to work out the transportation with Princess. I figured

you could do that when you arrived. Lucky you on the upgrade. I am going to get that Priority card.

Have fun. Look forward to your postings.

Gloria and Lew:D:D

Have a great cruise. I was scheduled to do this last year (all the way to Ft Lauderdale) but plans were all messed up with the Earthquake. (yes I was on THAT cruise)

I'm not sure if he is still aboard but the port lecturer Joe May has a ton of info.

PIA...You are there...on board the Star! Just reading your review made my cruise closer!

I taught Seventh Grade Geography for more years than I want to remember, but in our unit on Latin American, Chile always seemed to me...to be the most developed and the most beautiful.. I am assuming you will go the National Park..Terra del Furga (SP!)..The Falkland Islands..see Patagonia if you wish....I did not know that Chile is one of the fishing paradises of the world until recently!

I, too, am looking forward to seeing the sights of the lovely nations you visit..through your eyes!

I just hope you have the most wonderful cruise ever...and if my DH and I ever run out of critters ( all inheritied from one and only daughter..only child) and babies....(new grandbaby..only grandbaby)...we are going to do this cruise..or a similar facsimile there of....

Pia, We were on the Star for 23 days last year from 18 Feb to 13 Mar. Yes, were were on the cruise before "that cruise" and stayed on to return to Buenos Aires from Valpariaso. The seas along the coast of Chile can get a bit rough but fortunately we only had bad seas (very rough) for about 12 hours between the Falklands and Cape Horn.

Captain Kent was replaced by Captain Perrin on the cruise before us. Captain Perrin provided a wealth of information during his daily announcements on the first leg of our cruise. Interested to the heard how Captain Kent is.

May your seas be smooth and may you be able to tender into the Falklands. If you are booked for the penguins with Patrick Watts you are in for the experience of your life.

I hope that Joe May is still on board. He was a wealth of information on our cruise.

Don't know if you have made plans for Montevideo but if you like wine and steam trains, the Princess tour including a steam train ride to the Juanico Winery is worth the Princess price as it is not offered privately.

We thoroughly enjoyed our time on the Star and look forward to reliving through your cruise.

PIA, as you know, we should be on board, having cancelled recently due to ill health.

Your opening 'live post' was very informative and much appreciated. We will be checking this board out regularly.

Thanks again and safe journey to the 'Star Ship Voyagers !'

Thank you, Pia, for taking us along. We sailed on the Star two years ago, Valpo to BA. Would do it again at a moment's notice. I was looking forward to some rocking and rolling around Cape Horn but it was smooth sailing. Are you one of those people who can't resist penguins? There's something about their Chaplinesque walk...

Archived