Need advice Packing skincare,makeup etc...

celticlady

Hi everyone,

We are leaving on the Ruby in 9 days headed for the Carribean. I am undecided as to how to pack my make-up and skin care items. I usually put all of my liquid ( shampoo,conditioner,perfume,hair spray,gel for hair) in travel bottles and put them in my "big purse". I also take my make-up and jewelry with me in my carry-on. What do you do? I am afraid to put the liquids in my checked luggage for fear that the unpressurized cargo hole will cause them to leak. This time in my make-up bag I will be carrying a small tube of primer, but everything else is powder as I use bare minerals( should my primer go in with the liquids?).

I have been searching for good quality hair care products in a travel size(I use Pureology) but am having difficulty locating any.

I really would like to put my liquids in my checked luggage. Has anyone experienced a problem with products leaking? I read somewhere that the bottles have to be full or else they may leak.

Any advice or info relating to my concerns would be greatly appreciated. I am becoming anxious. I want no hassals with security. I want my products to arrive with me and in good shape. Thanks again :D

Hi everyone,

We are leaving on the Ruby in 9 days headed for the Carribean. I am undecided as to how to pack my make-up and skin care items. I usually put all of my liquid ( shampoo,conditioner,perfume,hair spray,gel for hair) in travel bottles and put them in my "big purse". I also take my make-up and jewelry with me in my carry-on. What do you do? I am afraid to put the liquids in my checked luggage for fear that the unpressurized cargo hole will cause them to leak. This time in my make-up bag I will be carrying a small tube of primer, but everything else is powder as I use bare minerals( should my primer go in with the liquids?).

I have been searching for good quality hair care products in a travel size(I use Pureology) but am having difficulty locating any.

I really would like to put my liquids in my checked luggage. Has anyone experienced a problem with products leaking? I read somewhere that the bottles have to be full or else they may leak.

Any advice or info relating to my concerns would be greatly appreciated. I am becoming anxious. I want no hassals with security. I want my products to arrive with me and in good shape. Thanks again :D

I too use the Pureology line for haircare. I do know that at Ulta, they sell the smaller travel size 2.0 oz. containers. HOWEVER, what I do as I frequently travel on business is that I have a set of leak proof bottles that are each under 3 ozs. that you can buy at the Container Store (if you have one in your area). They specifically say leak proof as they have cheaper ones also that are not. Even with that, I still put them in a ziploc bag. If I can fit all that in the small quart bag (per TSA) then I carry it all on. If not - on longer trips, I check it all but I still put those bottles in a gallon ziploc bags and then in another plastic bag and keep it all separate from my clothes if possible and never had a problem. Also, do not fill to the top in case the bottles do need to expand a bit.

Also, I think its easier to just check it because in San Juan last year, I was stopped by TSA and told that any liquids that you are carrying on can be in a 3oz or less bottle BUT it had to be the original bottle - not one of these leak proofs. I started to plead my case that I have never seen that before (and I work in the travel industry), but forget it. These guys think they are GOD LIKE, so in order not to miss my flight, I just chucked it as I did not have time to go back out to the counter and check it. I was returning from a cruise, so no big lost but still, I wish I would have asked for a supervisor because I have never heard of that before. Better to check if you are not using the original bottle(s).

I have flown many, many times. Including a 26 hour marathon flight to New Zealand:eek:. I always pack all my toiletries in my checked bag, including multiple liquids- shampoo, conditioner, contact lens solution etc etc. I have NEVER had any form of leakage whatsoever. If you are still concerned, put the bottles of liquid in plastic bags before packing them in your case. I would never even consider taking all that sort of thing in hand luggage - far too heavy, far too much hassle in my opinion.

Have a great holiday:)

Have you ever used Lush solid shampoo and conditioner? The shampoo comes in round bars, (like soap), in different types and scents and the conditioner is sliced off from a large slab in whatever size you want, ( it's sold by weight.) I love these products for travel. Macy's sells Lush.

I fly about 6 times a year and also always pack my hair products (the full size Pureology bottles) in my checked luggage along with sun screen, showel gel etc. We often are gone for 14 days or more at a time so there is no way the travel sized bottle would be enough. I always zip everything into large zip lock bags and only once had a bottle of shower gel leak.

You can only fit so many "3 oz " bottles into a quart size bag, anyway! Put your liquids in your checked bags...use a big zip-loc, if you're worried about leaks (my shampoo always seems to "ooze"...don't know why!) and it won't get on your clothes.

I bring what I use at home...I would NEVER start using something new and untried on a vacation!

Hi everyone,

click on my screen name, and click stats, then recent posts..actually on the MAGIC repo, Oct 28 .roll call..to see what I have discovered what to do. Hope this gives you ideas to secure your things in checked bags.never lost a liquid yet

Pack carefully!!! The last time I packed my toiletries in my toiletries bag and sent them as checked luggage, the lid popped off my can of aerosol hairspray, LARGE can, and totally emptied over the entire contents of everything in the bag!!! Not a drop left in the can:o. It was a smelly, sticky mess. This time when I fly I am going to tape the lid on. Things will be separated and put in Ziploc bags.

Lesson learned!!!!

A little pricey, but I use these:

www.pitotubes.com

You only have to purchase them once and will have them forever if you take good care of them.

I split the load. My expensive liquid makeup goes into my carry on, mos tof it is dry, but I don't want to forfeit my makeup if a suitcase goes missing. The body wash, shampoo, cond. goes into the checked bags. Do squeeze out any air from the bottle, the pressure forces the air out of containers, that is why bottles leak.

I had a can of aerosol leak one time as well, not even on a flight, it was a local cruise. So I'm very careful how I pack the aerosol now too. Any and all toiletries in the checked bags are double bagged, even in a toiletry kit. Those 2 and a half gallon Ziplocs work great, on the return home I use them for dirty underwear.

click on my screen name, and click stats, then recent posts..actually on the MAGIC repo, Oct 28 .roll call..to see what I have discovered what to do. Hope this gives you ideas to secure your things in checked bags.never lost a liquid yet

There are 4500 replies on that thread. Can you be more specific?

I separate my liquids and solids.

Liquids go in checked baggage - best thing is to purchase a travel bag just for your liquid toiletries - Samsonite has a good size one (about 8" x 10" x 2") Heys has one too; cost is about $30.00 - then use shopping bags (the kind you get from the Safeway when you buy groceries) and place each bottle in a shopping bag - do not seal anything - just fold over enough times so that any leakage will stay in the bag. Place each bottle snuggly in the bag and place the entire bag in the middle of your suitcase, that is, clothes on the bottom with shoes all around and then more clothes on the top - this way your bottles will be safe and dry! If you need added protection, wrap the travel bag in a kitchen catcher but simple fold the open end - do not seal it because of air pressure. Avoid using aerosol sprays - they could explode because of air pressure.

If you are buying liquor - one tip is place each bottle in a sock and then use clothing to wrap the bottle and place in the middle of your suitcase!

Putting clothes and shoes on the top, bottom and all around, will serve as a cushion when the bags are tossed by the porter at the airport!

I have never had a problem with my liquids.

Happy packing - it is the beginning of fun, even before you depart fromyour home!

Put a little square of plastic wrap (your favorite kind) over the bottle top before you screw on lid. That helps. Pack a piece of plastic wrap in your luggage and you can make new little squares for when you re-pack.

I also use the Lush solid shampoo. I actually use it at home, too. I love the Godiva one and the Karma Koomba one.

For some things that I don't want to pack full-size, I use the Go Toobs. They are soft silicone tubes with no-drip valves. The medium size (2 oz) has a suction cup to "stick" to a mirror. There are 3 sizes - small (1.25 fl. oz), medium (2 oz) and large (3 oz). I put some of my favorite toothpaste in one, my Moroccan Oil in another, conditioner in another. With the different colors available, I don't mix up what is in what.

Archived