Will Princess Pull Out of Mazatlan Again?

WarEagle76

We were there on Feb. 16 on Sapphire Princess and did not venture too far off the property near the cruise ship and the stalls there. We had been to Mazatlan several times..and in fact last time we were there went to a wonderful resort to spend the day. Too bad that this is happening to the local people and their lives..time for them to stand up and take back their country from the thugs and drug cartels!!!

I'd say it's a good possibility. Carnival has pulled out for the rest of this season. Princess and HAL are weighing their options. I feel badly for the tour operators who depend on the cruise ships, both through the cruiseline and independently, as well as the shop owners.

I bought a really nice fire opal pendant for only $129 there last month and am looking forward to going back to that shop in April to see what they have.

We were also on the cruise the week of Feb 14 on Sapphire - we were in the Zona Dorada all day we bought many items - such a shame that the crime is getting so out of hand there as Mazatlan is one of our favorite stops - we even have a timeshare in Mazatlan just about a mile or two down the beach from that area.

Uh oh, here we go again. Too bad as we were there last week and in talking with locals we see each trip business has really suffered lately.

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2011/02/norwegian-carnival-mazatlan-shooting/144667/1

:confused: maybe Princess will revisit the california coastal cruise with a stop in Ensenada or maybe even Victoria BC....:rolleyes:

We will be on Sapphire next month. We had planned a trip to MR in 09, but had to cancel. We decided to go now. I've been having bad dreams about having to stay on the ship. I wish Princess would decide -- this is irritating me!

I also feel great sympathy for the merchants and vendors who make their living through the tourist trade.

:confused: maybe Princess will revisit the california coastal cruise with a stop in Ensenada or maybe even Victoria BC....:rolleyes:

Sapphire is doing 3 California coastal cruises, two this year, and one next year.

They only go as far north as San Francisco, and the foreign stop is Ensenada.

I would love a stop in Victoria instead!

we were there in April on Royal C's Radiance of the Seas.. we took a long ship's tour but it was our least fav port--just so dirty in many spots & too many vendors & beggars......shopping was pushed way too much!

would not miss it....sorry about the economy there but it just was not very special...

We were also on the Feb 14 Sapphire cruise. We took part in the princess excursion Salsa and Salsa in the Golden Zone. We had plenty of time to shop where we got nice bargains. I love the pieces I bought. I told one of the shop keepers that I planned on spending my budget in Matzalan, since I felt bad that the ships were going to pull out of that port.

It is a pretty port, and I am very glad we had the opportunity to stop there.

We were also on the Feb 14 Sapphire cruise. We took part in the princess excursion Salsa and Salsa in the Golden Zone. We had plenty of time to shop where we got nice bargains. I love the pieces I bought. I told one of the shop keepers that I planned on spending my budget in Matzalan, since I felt bad that the ships were going to pull out of that port.

It is a pretty port, and I am very glad we had the opportunity to stop there.

Leslie...is this you? Hope you had an uneventful trip home. We are having dinner with Lorette and Alan this week..how great is CC that you can make new friends...

Hugs,

Grandma A

aka Anita

Read this from someone who just got off the NCL Star and says he and his family witnessed the gunfire in Mazatlan: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=28112521#post28112521

I feel really terrible for the people of Mazatlan, but I also would feel very concerned taking my kids off the ship in this port. We are on the March 12 cruise and have not received any notification of any itinerary changes.

This is too sad! Mazatlan is more than the touristy golden zone. Much of that area is the same as Cabo or PV. Tourist traps!

If one were to want to experience a better part of the city, go to the Cathedral and the market right next door. Or, better yet, head for the restored area of Plaza Machado. It is a quiet area with outdoor dining and theaters and a small museum and shops that do not cater to the clamoring cruise passengers. We have spent several hours at a nearby artist's co-op and found wonderful items to bring back. One can sit at an outdoor cafe (in the shade) and have genuine fish tacos with outstanding salsa and enjoy a cool refreshing drink. Watch the world go by and sit back.

Too bad that the cruise lines have decided that a bit of crime in a large metro area would be enough to stop going there. Yikes, next thing you know the cruise lines won't call at Martinique because the merchants there are stealing from the tourists (with their outrageous prices); or not use Miami because there is lots and lots of crime there.

Come on! Don't keep me from visiting a great part of Mexico.

An aside: if you really want to visit a great spot in Mexico, go to Loreto north of Cabo on the Baja peninsula. One can get a beer for a couple of bucks and hand made jewelry is so cheap that you feel guilty about paying their asking price!

Jim

Too bad that the cruise lines have decided that a bit of crime in a large metro area would be enough to stop going there. Yikes, next thing you know the cruise lines won't call at Martinique because the merchants there are stealing from the tourists (with their outrageous prices); or not use Miami because there is lots and lots of crime there.
Among the people shot at in the past month or so were some tourists only a block or so away from the main shopping area who got caught in the path of the cartel firing AK47s at someone else nearby. This isn't like NY or Miami where if you go into the wrong area, you go looking for trouble. This was in the main tourist section of the city. Like being shot at by an AK-47 in Rockefeller Center.

The cruiselines meet with the local police to find out what they are doing to protect tourists and control the cartels. If it appears they don't have any control or are doing little, cruiselines will pull the plug. They don't want to wait for a cabload of cruise passengers to be shot at, hurt or even murdered. They don't make these decisions lightly because they know the economic impact on the port as well as their passengers' disappointment. They also take an economic hit themselves as people cancel or change plans based on the changed itinerary, often having to lower prices in order to fill cabins. It's a "no win" for anyone.

Read this from someone who just got off the NCL Star and says he and his family witnessed the gunfire in Mazatlan: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=28112521#post28112521

I feel really terrible for the people of Mazatlan, but I also would feel very concerned taking my kids off the ship in this port. We are on the March 12 cruise and have not received any notification of any itinerary changes.

Now I am reluctant to get off the ship when we go there next month

The one incident, okay, but this one is pretty scarey.

I'll be taking the west coast for my next cruise. :D It does have a stop in

Ensenada but Dh and I will not be going off the ship. We wouldn't have anyway. Ensenada has nothing to recommend it and the prices are outragous.

I really think it's time for the natives to fight back and take control of their cities.

Add industry giant Carnival to the list of cruise lines dropping Mazatlan indefinitely in the wake of violence in the Mexican port.

The world's largest cruise operator says it will substitute extra time at other Mexican destinations on the country's West Coast for stops in Mazatlan on upcoming voyages of the 3,006-passenger Carnival Splendor and 2,124-passenger Carnival Spirit.

The ships are based in Long Beach, Calif., and San Diego, respectively, and sail to Mexico regularly.

The ships are based in Long Beach, Calif., and San Diego, respectively, and sail to Mexico regularly.

"Although there have been no incidents involving cruise passengers, the safety of our guests and crew is our number one priority," the line says in a statement sent to USA TODAY.

Carnival is following Norwegian Cruise Line and Disney Cruise Line in suspending calls in Mazatlan indefinitely in the wake of a number of violent incidents in the port including the recent murder of two people in front of a hotel frequented by tourists.

"We are working closely with the Mexican government and local officials to review their plans to improve security in all of the main tourist areas," the line says. "Once we are comfortable with their plans and implementation, we expect to return to Mazatlán. We are hopeful that this process can be completed within a short period of time."

Carnival says the Carnival Splendor's weekly schedule of seven-night voyages to Mexico will be modified to include an extra day in Cabo San Lucas instead of Mazatlan. Carnival Spirit's nine-day voyage to Mexico beginning on March 11 will be modified to include a second call in Cabo San Lucas and a call at Manzanillo instead of calls in Mazatlan and Ensenada. Carnival Spirit's seven-day cruise to Mexico beginning on March 20 will include a second day in Cabo San Lucas instead of Mazatlan.

Source: http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2011/03/carnival-cruise-splendor-spirit-mazatlan-mexico-ship-lines/146495/1

We are leaving for Riviera on March 19 on Sapphire. Just checked itinerary and not going to Mazatlan, going to Cabo instead and staying overnight there. Don't mind missing Mazatlan but would rather be at sea overnight than in port. Either way fine with me (although bad for their tourism).

We are leaving for Riviera on March 19 on Sapphire. Just checked itinerary and not going to Mazatlan, going to Cabo instead and staying overnight there. Don't mind missing Mazatlan but would rather be at sea overnight than in port. Either way fine with me (although bad for their tourism).

We are going on the 19th too and checked the itinerary last night

and it still listed Mazatlan.

An extra day in Cabo would be nice!!!

Indeed, our itinerary reflects the change too. 26 hours in Cabo.

I have mixed feelings. At least we get a longer time to enjoy Cabo.

However, I will miss being at sea for one evening : (

Oh well, maybe DH, mom and I can have dinner in Cabo this time.

We're on the Sapphire in 3/1911; just checked the itinerary on Princess.com and Mazatlan is gone . It shows we overnight in Cabo. That will probably make some people happy since we'll be in Cabo for longer than usual. I'll miss Mazatlan though :(

You will be at sea overnighting in Cabo, it is a tender port.

Kriznon, any recommendations for us since we have 24+ hours in

this town and since I didn't get off the ship there last time?

I'd like to go to San Jose del Cabo, but don't know who to hire

or how to get there.

Archived