2011 Saint John, Canada FAQ Guide and Interactive Map for Cruise Ship Visitors

Acey-SJ

Great info here, thanks! I have a few questions.

1. Is the harbour Passage Trail closed for its entire length? If so, will any part of it be open by October?

2. We will be there on a Sunday. Are businesses open on Sunday? I'm thinking about the Market area and bike rental.

Thanks for the great info. I do have a question though. This will be my first trip to the area and I would like to know if it's possible to rent a car and drive to Nauwigewauk (where my great-grandfather was from) and then on to see the St. Paul's Anglican Cemetary Lakeside in Hampton? I would also like to see some of the downtown area that you suggest and don't want to be on a time constraint.

Thanks in advance! Elaine

There will be no time constraints. Nauwigewauk is only 17 miles from ship and Hampton is less than 10 min further down the road. Ship docks downtown area. Call AVIS Water Street at 506-634-7750

How long does it take to ride a bike to Reverse Falls vs renting a car and driving to the Falls? We're not sure which venue fits our needs better. Thanks!

The falls are 5 minutes by car, so maybe 15 minutes by bike. Bikes are for rent Loyalist Plaza.

Edited by Acey-SJ

Great info here, thanks! I have a few questions.

1. Is the harbour Passage Trail closed for its entire length? If so, will any part of it be open by October?

2. We will be there on a Sunday. Are businesses open on Sunday? I'm thinking about the Market area and bike rental.

One section is closed - however to get to open section you have to walk a very busy thoroughfare. By October it MAY be all open - supposed to reopen end of Sept.

Market and Bike rentals are open Sunday, along with restaurants and small shops.

The falls are 5 minutes by car, so maybe 15 minutes by bike. Bikes are for rent Loyalist Plaza.

Thanks Acey-SJ for the information. So, if we were to rent the bike, what route and sites would you suggest? Is it worthwhile to do the jet ride to the falls?:cool:

There will be no time constraints. Nauwigewauk is only 17 miles from ship and Hampton is less than 10 min further down the road. Ship docks downtown area. Call AVIS Water Street at 506-634-7750

Thank you so much. As someone who is interested in genealogy, I'm excited to finally see where part of my family was from!

Thank you so much. As someone who is interested in genealogy, I'm excited to finally see where part of my family was from!

Legend has it that the place got its name from first nation peoples crossing the river - the mother carrying the child on her shoulders. Once they hit land the mother said "Now Would You Walk". Of course it's silly and obviously not true - but my grandparents who lived in Nauwigewauk told us kids that story and we believed it, for a while :)

This is awesome! Thank you!

Now if someone would do the same thing for Halifax, I would be all set!

Indeed...many thanks!

What a wonderful concise accumulation of useful info for one port of call.

We're booked on Carnival Glory, this coming October

so yes.. a similar treatise for Halifax would be very welcome.

It is a very easy drive to Hampton I drive it every day. Follow Highyway 1 East to exit 142. This will take you through to Nauwigewauk and onto Hampton.I was just recently married at St. Pauls Anglican. Very nice church.

226631_10150195072328979_508288978_6921004_6696097_n.jpg

It is a very easy drive to Hampton I drive it every day. Follow Highyway 1 East to exit 142. This will take you through to Nauwigewauk and onto Hampton.I was just recently married at St. Pauls Anglican. Very nice church.

226631_10150195072328979_508288978_6921004_6696097_n.jpg

Thank you, this is great! My great-grandfather's family were Loyalists and are buried here...Daniels and Wanamaker.

Thanks, I've been looking at them. Have you used them before? Which tour did you take or would you recommend?

I am a local and have not used Roy's before. I base it on positive recommendations from fellow board members.

Thank you so much for the information. My first cruise ever on Carnival Glory, Aug 4, 2011. And since I didn't plan on doing any excursion in Saint John, this is very helpful information!

Acey-SJ

Do you know if there are any go-cart tracks nearby? Also dose anyone offer any Segway tours?

There are 2 Karting facilities, one indoor and one outdoor - however they are over 1.5 hours away in Moncton.

There are no segway tours that I know of. There are Bike rentals from Loyalist Plaza near the ship. Thrill rides in this area would be the Jet Boat Ride and Zip Lining. Depending on day your ship is in, kids may enjoy the Canada Games Aquatic Center near the ship.

Acey, the information on this thread is invaluable. I've been researching a lot of the info you provide and I have a question. I see from the Cruise Saint John site that on September 12 when the Enchantment comes to Saint John, it will arrive at 7:00am and leave at 3pm. When I look at the tide levels from the http://www.waterlevels.gc.ca that you provided, low tide is at 6:34am (1.1 meters) and high tide is at 12:39pm (7.6 meters). Soooo....would it be worth it for us to go to St. Martin's or might another itinerary be more worth our while? Are all of the time zones in sync? The water level website is in ADT, but I'm not sure about the Cruise Saint John Site (which posts the same time as the RCCI itinerary). I'm guessing that it will take time to get off of the ship and other distractions could make it possible that once we got there we wouldn't be able to "walk the ocean floor." Is it still worth it to go? Our second choice is probably the Irving Nature Park and then get lunch and peruse the area close to the ship. Thanks for your help.

Edited by mosywoes

This information is great - thanks.

I'll be in St John with my 11 year old son so I was interested in your recommendations for children. I'm sure he'd love to see the harbour seals. How far from the dock (Marco Polo) is the Harbour Bridge?

This information is great - thanks.

I'll be in St John with my 11 year old son so I was interested in your recommendations for children. I'm sure he'd love to see the harbour seals. How far from the dock (Marco Polo) is the Harbour Bridge?

Unfortunately access to that area is currently closed due to construction on bridge. You can search for seals on boardwalk - just a short stroll from ship. They aren't always there, but are fun to try and spot once they are as they bob up and down. When in town be sure to check out Freak Lunchbox on King Street near ship (opening soon) - candy store with candy from all over the world.

Thank you. I'm so glad I didn't tell my son about the seals. He would have been disappointed. Now he doesn't know what he missed.

You can often see the seals in the area under the Reversing Falls Bridge in the period roughly halfway between high and low tide. There is a viewing area behind the restaurants at the Falls and there is one on the opposite side of the bridge from the Falls.

Also don't forget to look just off your ship at the dock-----you may get lucky there----you never know.