Questionable Equinox review?

Shir Hayam

My husband and I got back from a pleasant Equinox cruise a week ago and - I know, I know - I should write a detailed review myself (maybe next week). Although the cruise was generally lovely, there were some definite weak spots. But I saw posted last week as a "featured" review a detailed and GLOWING report by someone with the screen name of RapidRC. The name didn't look familiar to me from the message board for that cruise so I started searching around to find other posts by this person. Now I'm no computer maven, granted, but I can't seem to find any. Makes me suspicious. What do you think?

Sheila

Suspicious of what? I just read that review, and it sounds like the person had a very nice cruise, with a couple of minor issues. You yourself said that the cruise was good, if not flawless, so I'm not sure why you would doubt this review. Do you think Celebrity is planting people to write glowing reviews?

Just because someone doesn't post a lot (or at all) on these boards doesn't mean that they can't write a valid review of their cruise. I've been on 9 cruises and have been a "member" of these boards since 2003, but take a look at my post count :-)

My husband and I got back from a pleasant Equinox cruise a week ago and - I know, I know - I should write a detailed review myself (maybe next week). Although the cruise was generally lovely, there were some definite weak spots. But I saw posted last week as a "featured" review a detailed and GLOWING report by someone with the screen name of RapidRC. The name didn't look familiar to me from the message board for that cruise so I started searching around to find other posts by this person. Now I'm no computer maven, granted, but I can't seem to find any. Makes me suspicious. What do you think?

Sheila

Hi Sheila,:) I just read their review and sounds like they did have a wonderful time.

As for not seeing their name on Cruise Critic before? I think some folks

write reviews without being on here to chat. But anyway, it seems

like a legitimate review to me... .............. Re-reading it, I see

they posted a few things that were not "glowing" They made comments

about some of the food and did critique the smoking (felt the policy

was not fully enforced).

But yes, overall it sounds like they had a great cruise.

As to your weakspots...I would write the review and post your experience. Positive and Negatives......it was your cruise after all:D

Shelia - for the months of Jan/Feb, there are 6 5+ Star reviews and 13 5-5tar reviews, so I'd assume a lot of reviewers loved the ship, and a number of those reviews are by former posters.

Many reviews are by new posters. What's to be suspicious of except you disagree. I assume you'd disagree with the other 5+ Star and 5 Star reviews. It is funny, this is one of the first posts I've seen questioning a very positive review, most complaints and 'is this legit?' is about negative reviews of our favorite Line.

Den

Reviews are certainly subjective. We cruised the Equinox last month and although I did not post a featured review, I did write a rather lengthy review and posted it as a thread under the Celebrity boards. I suppose someone could say that it was suspicious as it was generally favorable, although we experienced some minor nuisances.

On the otherhand, a foodie posted reviews on dining areas this past weak that I thought that at times was rather picky (e.g. railing about the bread basket), but again I did not find it suspicious. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Suspicious of what? I just read that review, and it sounds like the person had a very nice cruise, with a couple of minor issues. You yourself said that the cruise was good, if not flawless, so I'm not sure why you would doubt this review. Do you think Celebrity is planting people to write glowing reviews?

Just because someone doesn't post a lot (or at all) on these boards doesn't mean that they can't write a valid review of their cruise. I've been on 9 cruises and have been a "member" of these boards since 2003, but take a look at my post count :-)

I think that the folks at Celebrity do pay a great deal of attention to what's said on these boards. Just look at the influence CC members had in changing their "X the Rules" advertising campaign. So it seems very possible to me that Celebrity would plant someone to write a glowing review. Do I know for sure, no. Is it possible, yes.

I think that the folks at Celebrity do pay a great deal of attention to what's said on these boards. Just look at the influence CC members had in changing their "X the Rules" advertising campaign. So it seems very possible to me that Celebrity would plant someone to write a glowing review. Do I know for sure, no. Is it possible, yes.

I disagree there. I think that is apples to oranges. An Ad campaign

vs 1 review? Plus I did see where the reviewer pointed out some things

they thought could be improved. I also have to ask, did you read the

others too? Seems many folks love the S class ships.

Actually, if you are really wondering if they have a "plant" you might

send an email to Laura. She is usually quite truthful and forethcoming

about things and she does not work for Celebrity.

Just like a reviews of hotels, I take out the most glowing and the worst and read everyone in between. I figure I'm "average".

I've read reviews here where everything on a ship was "horrible", "filthy", "rude" etc. and I've read some where you'd think the cruiser was staying at a Ritz Hotel and the buffet was a Michelin awarded restaurant. :D

Somewhere in the middle is the "true experince".;)

Reviews are certainly subjective. We cruised the Equinox last month and although I did not post a featured review, I did write a rather lengthy review and posted it as a thread under the Celebrity boards. I suppose someone could say that it was suspicious as it was generally favorable, although we experienced some minor nuisances.

On the otherhand, a foodie posted reviews on dining areas this past weak that I thought that at times was rather picky (e.g. railing about the bread basket), but again I did not find it suspicious. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I agree 100%

What?

I was on the Equinox in July and I wrote a huge glowing review, as I did for the Solstice Last year? Does this make me suspicious? Im not sure what you are suggesting?

Our Reviews

Equinox July

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=71410

Solstice March

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=65928

My first Review ( Mercury in 2005) was before I started posting on any other areas in Cruise Critic. Had been on 9 Cruises prior to even knowing about CC. I made up a Screename so I could post the review. Some time later I started posting here and joining Roll Calls for my Cruises so created the Screename I now use.

The next 12 reviews I have done have been under this name but first one could have been "suspect" to some as it was a similar looking situation as the one you question.

Would assume it is ligit unless proven otherwise.

Sheila

Suspicious of what? A glowing review? A positive cruise experience? Are you suggesting that we make judgements as to the voracity of a post simply because it doesn't jive with your experience? Why is it that these threads sometimes lead to judging the person who posted instead of simply stating our opinion or giving information!

don't know about the review in question but having been on Equinox on Jan 28th, I can tell you it was excellent for the most part

our stateroom attendant was not in synch with us.. he was polite & all that but was always underfoot & late in getting the room made up, bringing ice etc.....not anything needing to be reported but not up to usual standards.. we ignored him for the most part -- we did not tip him any extra for the first time..

AQ & BLU were excellent, we enjoyed the ports and the ship experience was friendly and fun!! can't wait to cruise AQ again!

Archived