Steamers Allowed?

blueboro

I know that irons are not allowed onboard, but are travel steamers okay? Can't seem to find that mentioned in the policies.

Which ship are you on? If it's not the Vista or Signature class, there is a "launderette" with washers/dryers and an ironing boared & iron.

there is also an unlimited 'pressing' package available. well worth the money. do you really want to spend your vacation ironing?

I bring a LOT of clothes that require ironing. For the ships that have irons I spend about 30 minutes ironing everything. That not spending a lot of time ironing for the high price that HAL charges. So in answer to your question I do want to spend my vacation ironing because I could use that money somewhere else.

Hmmm...

I will be traveling for a week before I embark with my much-needed travel iron. Thus, it will be in my suitcase with my packed belongings.

Will they take it from me or just tell me to not use it?

One lady at my dining table on the Oosterdam (Feb.12, 2011 cruise) got hers taken away but I'm sure they gave it back at the end of the cruise. I'm shocked that they did this but I guess they do look.

I can't speak to travel irons but for a number of cruises we carried our steamer not knowing you weren't supposed to have or use one on the ship. :o Never had any problem with HAL taking it away or even mentioning we shouldn't use it. It's somewhere in the house but once we discovered they weren't permitted on HAL we just set it aside and don't take it. Personally I never considered it any more dangerous than my wife's curling iron but also don't want to cause an issue.

I am kind of surprised they are not allowed. The steam coming out is not much hotter than steaming up the bathroom with full hot water on.
It's not the steam that's the problem, it's when they run dry, or malfunction, and overheat

I hang anything that looks wrinkled in the bathroom while I shower, but I also don't stress about looking wrinkly! After all I am on vacation and so is everyone else and I just don't care! haha!! :)

HA HA... There are plenty of other wrinkly people on board...

LOL

;););)

Did you notice that I said "or malfunction"? One guess what part is most likely to malfunction. :rolleyes:

Absolutely as is true with any electrical device from curling iron to battery charger to electric toothbrush to whatever plugs into a socket. :) Believe it or not my last electrical failure at home was actually a surge protector/power conditioner of all things....overheated for some reason and deformed the plastic case though nothing else was damaged. :eek: As I said though, we're good boys and girls and have stopped taking our steamer with us.

We just got back from a TA and there were no laundry/ironning facilities onboard (RCCL). Because I live in Canada, Downy Wrinkle Remover is not available. A quick and easy solution was to pack a couple of Downy fabric sheets and an empty spray bottle. Once onboard, I put the Downy sheet in the bottle and filled the bottle with tap water. I sprayed the wrinkles with the Downy water, and the wrinkles fall out. I now use the same thing at home when my large table cloths need a quick press.

As I said though, we're good boys and girls and have stopped taking our steamer with us.
I don't even bring my power strip anymore since HAL said "only approved" ones from the front desk. Odds are low that mine is worse than theirs, but I wouldn't want to be the person who ignored the rule and caused a major problem! :)

We just got back from a TA and there were no laundry/ironning facilities onboard (RCCL). Because I live in Canada, Downy Wrinkle Remover is not available. A quick and easy solution was to pack a couple of Downy fabric sheets and an empty spray bottle. Once onboard, I put the Downy sheet in the bottle and filled the bottle with tap water. I sprayed the wrinkles with the Downy water, and the wrinkles fall out. I now use the same thing at home when my large table cloths need a quick press.

This fellow Canadian appreciates this information. Thanks:).

I don't even bring my power strip anymore since HAL said "only approved" ones from the front desk. Odds are low that mine is worse than theirs, but I wouldn't want to be the person who ignored the rule and caused a major problem! :)

Major problem...hmmm...I have a hard time thinking that would happen. Like the other poster I can't imagine why a steamer or power bar would be worse then a curling iron.

Major problem...hmmm...I have a hard time thinking that would happen.
At a garage sale not long ago I saw a power strip that was badly melted and dark brown on one end. I don't know how close it came to breaking out in flames, but if that can happen in a home it can happen on a ship.

Also, some power strips have built-in surge suppressors to block or shunt power surges to ground. This is probably not desirable for ships. Maybe this is the type of power strip that HAL is seeking to avoid having used on their ships.

At a garage sale not long ago I saw a power strip that was badly melted and dark brown on one end. I don't know how close it came to breaking out in flames, but if it can happen in a home it can happen on a ship.

Also, some power strips have built-in surge suppressors to block or shunt power surges to ground. This is probably not desirable for ships. Maybe this is the type of power strip that HAL is seeking to avoid having used on their ships.

Boy, people really should call their garage sales garbage sales;). I see your point on the type of on the power strip.

Archived