Oosterdam wordy review 19-16 Feb

dexter483

Kind of long wordy re-cap of our trip..

We just got off of the Oosterdam on Saturday, 26 Feb, and I have to say, the trip met every expectation that my wife and I had. I guess first off.. We decided to fly to San Diego on Sat morning.. Instead of driving.. The cost of the flight was low. $45 per person one-way.. Driving and parking would have been close to the same.. Anyway.. It worked out great. We took an early flight just in case of problems.. We got to the Airport in San Diego at 9:20 and we were at the Oosterdam before 10:00.. The cab ride was $9 and some change.. and took about 5 mins. We dropped off our bags for loading on to the ship and went and had some coffee. At about 11 I was anxious to get on board, so we went to get into line to check in.. But there wasn’t a line we went straight in and got all checked in and took our seat.. We had to wait about 30 mins till they started boarding.. we were about the 10th or 12th couple to board the ship.. So far the experience was great.. And unfortunately (because I do like to complain) nothing ever happened to change my opinion.. Everything remained great.. Our room was ready when we boarded.. We had an Aft Veranda cabin.. 5189.. It was terrific .. We had a great view the entire trip.. The seas were a little choppy.. I don’t think the movement of the ship was any more noticeable in our cabin than other places on the ship.. But it was never very much.. And didn’t bother either of us.. I had called ahead to arrange for a “Renew Your Vows” package.. I didn’t tell the wife about it.. She might have changed her mind about the cruise… Then I would have been stuck doing the Vow stuff by myself.. So, when we went to our cabin.. We had a bottle of Champagne, flowers, and hors d'oeuvres. And an invitation to the Vow ceremony.. So, it turns out that the Wife is happy about it.. ($114 well spent).. After checking out our room we went to the Liddo deck to have some lunch.. We could have gone to the MDR for the Mariners Lunch.. But there was a long line for that.. So we went to the Liddo.. Lunch was very good fairly simple, but good.. I think they were in some type of Code Orange.. The crew had to serve all the food onto your plate.. No salt and pepper shakers on the tables..No condiments anywhere.. You had to ask.. And they served what you needed.. This lasted about two days.. No big deal.. I guess lines were a little longer because of this. But nothing to worry about. We usually had lunch in the Liddo.. They made great sandwiches.. And usually had some other good things for lunch.. The Pizza (normally a fun part of my food intake) was good.. But not always available.. I think on Carnival.. The pizza was pretty close to 24/7.. On this ship.. just during lunch or dinner.. I was good.. just not available all the time.. We also tried to Burger and hotdog shack.. it was very good.. they had great fries.. We had dinner in the MDR most nights.. We did the whenever you want to eat schedule.. No reservations.. The first night we had to wait about 3 mins.. We were seated at a table with four other folks.. they were all very fun and engaging to talk with.. the food was great..portions were more than enough.. I ordered a bottle of Wine with dinner.. The wife does not normally drink wine.. So I was forced to drink it all myself.. The waiter told me, when I ordered the wine, that I could take what was left to my room or it could be saved for my next evening in the MDR.. I took that as a personal challenge to drink the entire bottle with dinner.. Which of course was not much of a challenge. The first two days were Sea days..The wife wanted to check out the spa..(of course).. so I toured through it with her..They offered the Thermal Spa use for $199 per couple.. (great, less than $200).. we ended up getting it.. and for us I think it was worth it.. The pool/hydro-therapy Jacuzzi was very nice and relaxing.. the Ceramic heated lounge chairs were great.. plus they had steam rooms and a sauna.. they only negative about using these.. They all could have been a lot warmer.. I guess they didn’t think to consult me about how warm the water in the pool should be or how hot the steam room should be.. If they had.. I’m sure a lot of folks would not have been too happy.. I like them hot!.. So apparently I’m not the most important person on board the ship.. Food and sea days were about the same each day.. the various music venues were good and fun to listen to. We had a lot of balcony time.. it was very relaxing on the aft of the ship.. The ports were good.. we did the Town, Country, and Tequila tour in Puerto Vallarta .. The first part was just ok.. But the tequila tour part was great..They had a little bar/food area.. the Tacos were very good. (at least I think they were) I had several shots of tequila and a couple of beers. They had a sign up over one of the salsas as a warning that it was very, very Hot.. So, I took that as a challenge and loaded up my tacos with it.. It was a very good salsa.. it had a bit of a wang.. but was certainly not too hot.. Mazatlan was ended up being a pretty good time.. We went to the Golden Zone area. We didn’t like the shopping much.. we found a great seat at Pancho’s restaurant and had more tacos and a lot more beer.. we were right on the beach.. it was a great view. (not many girls running around in bikinis.. but a great view none-the-less)..The vendor area by the ship had a fun bar in the middle of everything.. we ended up drinking and having a fun time (the wife had several Jello Shots.. the Jello guy became a friend of hers) we were there for about two hours before getting back on the ship. The next day was Cabo.. We just walked all the way around the marina and found a starbucks and had some coffee.. We walked around a bit more and gave up on telling the boat hawkers that we didn’t want a boat ride.. We finally talked to one of the guys and went out on his glass bottom boat.. I guess the going rate was really about $10 per person if the guy has a lot of people on the boat.. It was just the two of us.. We went out for $30 for the both of us.. We did an hour tour.. checked out the fish, the sea lions, and the cool rock formations.. It was well worth the money and time. We found a restaurant along the marina and had more tacos and a lot more beer.. Tacos were not as good as the previous days.. however the beer was cold and tasty.. When we left Cabo, we had about 30 dolphins put on a show in the wake of the ship.. They were jumping and flipping.. It was great.. That evening was our Vow Renewal.. We met the Party Planner, Kirsten at the Piano Bar and had Champagne.. When the Ship Captain got there, he performed the ceremony.. it only took about five minutes.. and we were the only couple doing this.. The Captain then sat down with us in the bar.. we had drinks with him and visited about the ship, Holland and I told war stories about being stationed in Belgium when I was in the Air Force.. We enjoyed the visit with him.. I actually felt a little guilty about monopolizing his time.. But decided that maybe I am the most important person on the ship.. Or not.. he left to go back and run the ship.. And we left to go to our dinner at the Pinnacle Restaurant (included in the renewal package).. very, very good dinner.. I was a personal friend of the Chefs.. because I took a cooking class that he presented earlier in the week. (I made Steak Diane and Bread Pudding).. Anyway, the Chef did wave to me.. The food and service were great.. The last sea day was the same as the others..We had a nice relaxing time.. As always the end of the trip always comes too soon.. Getting off was very easy.. We had a mid get off time .. we got tired of waiting so we just got off when we wanted.. they didn’t check to see if it was your time or not.. We grab a taxi.. and off to the air port..

What a Nice trip..Overall.. Yes it was nice.. no problems Great service.. My thanks to the crew of the Oosterdam…

Steve.. and Angie

Archived