Additional Cruises Ships As Floating Hotels For Christchurch

The NZ govt is in discussions with a few cruise lines to put additional ships into Lyttleton Harbour for the duration of the Rugby World Cup this September and October. One of these might even be the base accommodation for the England team. The PM said that the govt might foot the bill. I wonder who has got cruise ships spare at that time of the year.

The NZ govt is in discussions with a few cruise lines to put additional ships into Lyttleton Harbour for the duration of the Rugby World Cup this September and October. One of these might even be the base accommodation for the England team. The PM said that the govt might foot the bill. I wonder who has got cruise ships spare at that time of the year.

Not silly.

A cruise ship is a floating power generator.

Perhaps they could put some into Lyttleton, and provide housing and power.

But as you say who has one to spare?

Pretty common to do - each Olympics often has one or more cruise ships in the Harbour, as well as many other smaller events. Even the Townsville V8s did it last year, and there's already a couple going over for the World Cup.

The Volendam was chartered a long time ago, as a floating hotel for the Rugby World Cup.

I remember seeing an advertisement for cabin availability last year.

The plan is for the ship to sail to the centres where the games will be played.

The Volendam was chartered a long time ago, as a floating hotel for the Rugby World Cup.

I remember seeing an advertisement for cabin availability last year.

The plan is for the ship to sail to the centres where the games will be played.

Erewhon, the Rhapsody and the Volendam have both been chartered and it seems that these are the only two ships that will be cruising up and down. I believe any other ship will be used as accommodation only. I also see that with the Rhapsody, we have to fly into Auckland but it will deliver us back to Sydney. The Volendam will do the reverse.

In any event, looking forward to it and can't wait to see Richie raise the Cup:D

Cheers,

Di

Archived