All things EARTH...

Anita, I don't know if the questions are as helpful as the actual descriptions. I got two different answers that didn't seem to describe me at all, especially as to the clothing recommendations.

However, this description from the Goblet fits me to a T:

"Also make sure your bras keep those b..bs up and away from your waist to help steer you more towards the Hourglass shape by separating the different body elements and creating some space in your frame for the curves to show through."

I also thought the clothing recommendations for Goblet were more in line with what I learned from Shop Your Shape and what I know to look good on me.

I initially got Hourglass, and then Column, when I answered the questions, neither of which seemed to suit me. It was really good to re-think this, though.

Laurie,

Just want to say again how sorry I am for your loss.

Cholla,

Awesome color change! I agree with others that you have beautiful skin!

Anita,

I saw the Rolling Stones years ago at a concert in FL. They were amazing!

I've seen so many musicians and bands in my life it's unbelievable. I was at the Miami Pop Festival back in the early 70s and I was also at the the two Atlanta Rock Festivals; also in the 70s. These were festivals where there were easily 200,000 to 300,000 people (if not more at the Atlanta ones). I was totally up for it back in the day. I don't think I'd be up for such large venues today. I was asked by a friend to go to Coachella but I just didn't think I could take the heat all day. I don't know how I did it back in the 70s. There was a group back in the day called "Spirit who were at one of the Atlanta festivals...I loved that band...30 years later and one of the guys from the band has a recording studio which is where my DS has ended up recording all of his music. I think it's a very small musical world! LOL!

Also because my DH and DS are members of ASCAP (the songwriter's union), we get to see screenings of just about every new movie about music and musicians. It's fun because after the film, people that made the movies or were in the movies show up and talk about how the film was made. I really enjoy going to those screenings.

By the way for anyone who is interested...tomorrow night (Thurs.) CNN starts it documentary on the 70s. It looks really interesting. I loved their one on the 60s last year so I'm really looking forward to this one too.

Edited by mousey

I've been reading through this today:

http://www.bodyshapecalculator.co.uk/trinny-and-susannahs-12-body-shapes

http://trinnyandsusannah.com/category/body-shapes/

I need DH's help to get a current picture of me so that I can stare at my body shape. I've been looking in the mirror and things that I thought were true, don't seem to be true...and so I need to have an actual picture to make some comparisons and answer the questions on the blog.

Interesting sites, I think I'll give it a whirl and see what shakes out :D

Mom was looking at this site:

http://www.insideoutstyleblog.com/

Through looking through them both...I've finally landed on my shape being an '8' in the one and an Hourglass in the other.

These descriptions were very helpful:

http://www.insideoutstyleblog.com/?s=body+shapes+explained

Especially when they have real life pictures of ladies. It was very easy for me to land on the 8 shape after seeing the real life pictures. I have that high hip shelf that gets worse and worse with extra weight...making my torso shorter and shorter.

In looking through the photos from the recent cruises (I will finish my TA report!)...it has come to my attention that what I am wearing makes such a dramatic difference in how heavy I appear. In some outfits, I look very normal...and in others...I look so obviously overweight.

Now...I am overweight...but I don't want to LOOK like I weigh more than I do!

And I'm going to have to KonMari my wardrobe again...because now that I've seen certain photos of myself...I don't ever want to wear certain things again!

Anita, isn't it funny what a difference our clothing choices can make? I see this every day. It can be hard for me to find things that I think flatter my shape. I'm going to try and think outside the box a little and try on different things the next time I go shopping. I was thinking, for example, that my work pants look really odd at times. they're baggy in the seat, but sometimes the waist isn't all that big, compared to the rest.

What it boils down to is that I'm just getting whatever I got before, and I need to try on different brands, different sizes, and make sure they flatter.

I will have to check out those websites. I did look a little at the one you posted yesterday, and I found the videos of the lady who was top heavy like me to be very interesting. I think they said her name was Natasha? Anyway, the style of dress that she put on was great, but a bit hard to find sometimes. It was a fit and flare, but the dress was fluid, continuous...it didn't have anything like a belt at the waist, I don't think.

Oh, and I know all the songs on the Rumours album too!

By the way, do most of you do your own measuring, or do you go to a store to be measured for a bra? I need to get a smaller bra, and it appears that I have gone from 40DD to a 38D. That is a very good thing. But, I was thinking that instead of buying a bra that size and not having it right, maybe I should go to Soma or something. I'm not a big fan of Victoria's Secret.

Victoria's secret was great twenty years ago but then it went teenage with all the pink crap . Soma is so much nicer . My body shape is a pear so I can not do short anything . It just shows my legs which are not my best feature . This is why I have a lot of maxi dresses and skirts .

Anita , I only saw one picture where you looked slightly heavy and when you put on your jacket the look changed and you looked thinner . So don't throw away any more clothes just re think them .

Okay, ladies, I need expert help while ya'll are on the subject of bras and fittings and such. The area where I live has gone from spring rain to humid hell. I'm just stating the facts here. I need a good supportive bra. 38D-38DD size, underwire necessary bra. At my age and after two nursing children, a VS cutesy bra just won't cut it. What I normally wear is reminiscent of what I imagined my third grade battle-ax teacher wore, but under my clothes, I feel like I look perky instead of saggy, baggy elephant.

Enough background. My question is--What do I wear when it's melting weather outside? Do they make a bra that's cool (read, not hot as hell) AND supportive AND won't let everyone know that I'm cold when I go into an air-conditioned restaurant? My normal T-shirt bras are so SO hot because of the tiny extra necessary padding to prevent my shining headlights. I don't care if it's front or back closure, but I can't manage one that doesn't have one or the other. I tried sports bras back in the day that you shimmied into. Can't go there anymore. Heck, they may not even make those anymore. I don't know. That's why I'm asking.

Thanks ever so much. --Debbie

Edited by aoknkentucky
Proofread and proofread and still didn't catch one. --D

Debbie, if you have a Penneys or Kohls near there is a Bali U back that is made of Climacool fabric. I don't know the style number, but it's quite comfortable. Melody

Edited by awhfy

Anita , I only saw one picture where you looked slightly heavy and when you put on your jacket the look changed and you looked thinner . So don't throw away any more clothes just re think them .

Thanks Sally.

I haven't (and won't) share every photo...and I am being somewhat selective in what I share...because I don't want to be too embarrassed. It's through picking and choosing the photos that I see what I see. I'm not a person that thinks they are heavy when they really aren't.

It's one reason why I got so interested in the body shape and what to wear to look your best and sort of "camo" the weight and present a pleasing picture.

I think we all try to pick the most flattering pictures. I am very interested myself in figuring out my shape and what will be the best style clothes for me. I have my trip report ready to go with lots of pictures so you can all give me some feedback too.

When last I left myself...

I was exploring the grounds of the Cathedral of Malaga...

I was listening to the man singing in the street...(and for those of you who watched my YouTube videos...you got to hear him too!)

It had been a while since we had eaten...Mom was holding up well...but it was time to continue our wander back to the ship. We'd had a lovely rest and we could meander through new streets to the shuttle drop off/pick up.

Here is a random assortment of vistas and details that caught my eye on our walk back to the Allure:

The palm trees and other greenery on the right are a garden in front of the Cathedral. The columns with the chains between them forming a fence of sorts mark the courtyard to this side's entrance to the Cathedral.

DSC01996_zpsrlnqufuy.jpg

Just a gorgeous doorway into the building previously seen on the left. Entrances like these often lead to converted apartments in these buildings...can you imagine this being the doorway to your apt building?:

DSC01997_zpszgi0pbzp.jpg

The formal garden previously mentioned on this side of the Cathedral:

DSC01998_zpstlkif1no.jpg

A different facet of the buildings that form the Cathedral:

DSC01999_zpsdu5rgkss.jpg

Mom and I were admiring the lavender...all the different types growing here...smelled fabulous:

P4290200_zpsjhciiu7v.jpg

Again...we were strolling...on a leisurely walk. But it didn't take us long to get back to the ship.

There was a bus waiting at the shuttle stop. The bus driver waited until the bus was at capacity to leave. We did sit and wait for quite a while...however, the engine was running...the air was blowing...and we were seated. So...no big.

Soon we were back on board Allure...

I think we all try to pick the most flattering pictures. I am very interested myself in figuring out my shape and what will be the best style clothes for me. I have my trip report ready to go with lots of pictures so you can all give me some feedback too.

Please don't be waiting for me to finish before you start!

Figuring out my shape has been very helpful for me. It gives me something to work with besides color...

I do so much internet/catalog shopping...having one more criteria for a potential purchase makes the shopping a challenge BUT makes the purchase decisions ultimately, easier.

AND...it helps me to understand why certain things that I thought I would wear a lot aren't worn...and why things that I wasn't even sure I would wear...are getting worn all the time.

Very excited to see more of your photos Laurie!

Rising Tide Bar...

I've mentioned this bar a couple of times. This is the one that will be on the Royal Promenade level and then RISE up to the Central Park level. Today was the first day that the fountains were running... As the Rising Tide rises, a fountain of water gives the illusion that the bar is being raised up by the water. (Now it may have been working at other times...but this is the first time we saw it on this voyage):

DSC02010_zpsiyacpkza.jpg

Again...from later this evening...and the opposite direction's view:

DSC02035_zpscuzv1yxl.jpg

Dinner this evening/afternoon was at Rita's Cantina:

DSC02018_zps2ctwsb65.jpg

Rita's Cantina is located on the Boardwalk. It is an open air restaurant with the majority of the tables in the covered area and some counter height tables on the Boardwalk under umbrella type overhangs.

This specialty dining venue is a la carte. There is no cover charge...it is like a "normal" restaurant in that you pay a price per item that you order from the menu. We started with tropical cocktails and chips and salsa...and Dad's smile pretty much sums up our opinions re: the fruity adult beverages:

DSC02020_zpsbyhevfcy.jpg

Going through our pictures...I've realized how few pictures we have of the 3 of us together...this is one of the very few:

DSC02023_zpsnefnbpzp.jpg

It's interesting to me to see an ICE, a FIRE, and an EARTH...Dad looks pink. Mom looks yellow. And I look thick skinned...you can totally see how my skin is just different.

We had talked to another couple in the elevator...yes, we chat...and they had shared their experience at Rita's and how large the portions were. They state that the fajita platter is good for two...but really, it could feed much more than even the three of us:

DSC02025_zpsccdpeuu9.jpg

I don't know if Rita's survived the dry dock changes. If it did...Laurie...we highly recommend that you give it a try. Like most Mexican restaurants, the food is served in large share-worthy portions.

Because it was rather early on this port day...we had not sailed away yet...there were very few diners here. No idea if that is a normal attendance or not.

Sometimes...you just need a bit of ridiculous in your life...

Sometimes...it is just the thing...

So here is a bit of the ridiculous for you to enjoy today...

Fun house mirrors on the Boardwalk...

Super skinny:

DSC02028_zpscweptbxz.jpg

Oompa Loompa:

DSC02029_zpszvsxibfb.jpg

Gynormous feet:

DSC02032_zpsztrtgwwq.jpg

Tiny feet:

DSC02034_zpsbeoxwal2.jpg

Anita, I have so much to say about all those pictures, but I only have a few moments so I wanted to show you all a few things.

I love this dress, but the neckline won't work for me. I keep trying to tell myself that the neckline styling might help though?

http://www.dressbarn.com/detail/tropical-floral-sheath-dress/102378810/805

And then there is this one, and I really, really want it!!!!!!!!!

http://www.dressbarn.com/detail/lace-v-neck-dress/102277018/200

Anita, some of my favorite pictures that you've posted are with those mirrors! We often get very silly. We did this Flip Camera scavenger hunt once, and we thought we would just be taking pictures of things. It was anything but. We had to do all sorts of silly things and film it. It was totally hysterical. To name a few things, my daughter, her two friends and my husband sang "I Will Survive" out on deck for strangers while I filmed it. Then they got a stranger to sing a song while they did back up singing and dancing. Then the had to ask a crew a silly question "Is there an elevator to take me to the front of the ship?" You get the idea.

You can see that you were having a good time, with the mirrors, and the food at Rita's! I look forward to when I can start to really look at the options for dining and so forth. I think that would be a really fun lunch!

And the Rising Tide Bar...it would be great to be able to actually get a table. I prefer going in May when it is a bit quieter, but we wanted this itinerary so I think it may be a fuller ship, since kids will be out of school already in some areas.

So, I think it’s time to start my trip report! I’ve decided to start this in word and save it. This way, I won’t be rushing to post and then leave things out.

I will say up front that a lot of my pictures are probably going to be clothing pictures. My trip was great, but it was foggy! The best pictures are those when I was ready to head out for the day or before dinner. But I will try and give you an overall feel of the trip.

You will see a few photos that will show that I’m getting into shape. I’m not where I want to be yet, but I’m enjoying the journey. I feel so much better about myself. With the rest of the photos, you will see me wearing multiple layers in order to stay warm, lol.

We got up bright and early to get ready for our trip. Our flight left at 11:15 AM, I believe, but we like to make sure we have everything together, and to arrive at the airport early. Based on the forecast, I didn’t make any changes to my wardrobe but I thought it best to have two pairs of jeans rather than one for the trip. I know that temps in the 60s will enable me to wear cropped pants just fine. There is that cold 60s, then the warm 60s…the main difference would be in shoe choices and how many layers. But the cropped pants are good.

Since I really wanted to wear my new maxi skirt, I decided it would be a comfy traveling outfit. So I paired it with a tank top and slip on sandals, which are super easy for taking off and on while going through airport security.

487_zpsqqtl2z1a.jpg

It can get cold in the airport sometimes, so I wanted to have a cardigan or something to put over it. I wish it had been more fitted, maybe? It created that frumpy look that I’m not fond of when I wear maxi skirts. But, I had it off and on and it served it’s purpose. And you get a picture of my dog too.

489_zpsrlkatbm0.jpg

So off we went! I’m happy to report that all flights were right on time. We had a delay between JFK and San Diego, but it seemed that by the time we got off the plan, used the restrooms, found a place to eat, it was half over. There is a 3 hour time difference so we arrived in San Diego at 8:30 at night.

We stayed at Humphrey’s Half Moon Inn. It is a really pretty place to stay, and it located on Shelter Island. It’s about a 10-15 minute taxi ride. We checked in, and went to our room to get our luggage situated. Then we went back down to the restaurant for a very late dinner.

I have to tell you this…although it’s a beautiful place to stay, there is an issue that is a royal pain in the you-know-what. The resort is big, very big….with outdoor entrances to the rooms. So, we had to take our luggage out the back in the dark (there was lighting, but not the greatest) through the pool area, down a path, and then lug everything up two flights of stairs. It wasn’t the end of the world, but not what I expected for the price and upscale quality they portray.

Now, we had plenty of time to get pictures in the morning. It is truly beautiful there. The weather was overcast and a little cool, but nothing a very lightweight hoodie couldn’t take care of.

We took a little walk to a convenience store, and then walked around and took a few pictures of the place.

512_zpshcvn7rse.jpg

511_zpsh8s9htyp.jpg

This handsome guy is working out too!

510_zpsihvopgrz.jpg

I decided on this pair of peachy colored cropped jeans for embarkment. I had on a short sleeved brown shirt, and then put my orange hoodie with it. I’m not a big fan of hoodies, but I really like this one. Of course it’s from Eddie Bauer, since my daughter works there and is always telling me when they have something she thinks will work for me. I like that it is a ¾ length sleeve, and there is just a bit of shirring on the sleeves so it gives it a nice, fresh look. Plus, sleeves tend to be long on me so ¾ is the best length.

I’ll digress a moment about my choices for shoes on this cruise. I recently purchased a few pairs of Keds, as those were my favorite for years. Now, I have a wide foot, so I often have the issue that to fit the toe span, I have to use inserts in the heels for shoes. But these are sneakers, you know? So I bought some of those little slip on sock like thingies that you don’t end up seeing. Well, they were silky. My feet were moving all over. I ended up with blisters, so I took them off and wore sandals the rest of the day.

520_zpsdb5481jb.jpg

A nice RCI employee came over and offered to take our picture, which was great. I’m trying to find it on Photobucket, but it’s eluding me at the moment so I will carry on.

I decided on the maxi dress for the first night for a few reasons. One, I know that people often are quite casual the first night. I never have had any trouble getting my luggage. I often have it before sail away, so I am able to freshen up and change, but I don’t want to be overdressed compared to others. The other reason for choosing this was that we made an important discovery when putting our clothes away in the closet. My husband had jeans, casual cargo style pants and his suit. He forgot to pack his khakis. This bothered him A LOT. So I wanted him to feel like he was on par with my outfit for the night, and that was the most casual thing I brought with me for dinner. We did remedy his problem a few days into the cruise though.

I think I know why it tends to bother me a lot when I’m not wearing earth colors. I can honestly look at the picture and feel like the dress is wearing me, rather than the other way around. This should be a good lesson for me. It’s a pretty dress, but I just didn’t feel the best wearing it.

I have a professional portrait taken this night that is much better, but once again, Photobucket….grrrr. I will post it, but it will be in a later post. In the meantime, here is the photo taken in our room:

579_zpsighu0u3w.jpg

Jewel is a beautiful ship. There seems to be a lot more glass, ways to see the water and bring in natural light. They use this ship for Alaska all summer, and that makes a lot of sense. You would be able to see the glaciers from inside or outside.

This is looking straight up in the centrum:

549_zpsbuib13d5.jpg

This is the ship’s library, which was on our deck. By far, it is the most beautiful library I’ve seen on any RCI ship I’ve been on. There are some games and what not available as well.

554_zps8foa0mkd.jpg[/url

Laurie - I love the brown lace dress and the leopard one. But I really need a lower neckline... as someone built like a bowling pin with very narrow shoulders, an ample chest and no neck, I need as much elongation in the neck/chest area as possible. Cute dresses though.