All things EARTH...

I enjoy so much reading everyone’s thought processes about packing and shopping. I’ve been thinking about what Anita said about having a minimalist wardrobe, and her comment about hating some of her clothes.

I still visit The Vivienne Files sometimes, but I haven’t enjoyed the recent 4x4 posts or the colors she is choosing lately. My work wardrobe has evolved somewhat along those lines in that I have core pieces in basic colors (brown, mushroom, blue and –gasp- black). I know, I know, I’m gradually eliminating the black. But, I would never wear some of the basic combinations that are at the heart of her strategy, like brown pants with a brown sweater and brown shoes. That is just not me at all. On the other hand, and especially lately with all my trips to Michigan, I do value having a core color for pants, shoes, purse and then grabbing tshirts and sweaters that go with that core color but don’t match it. It means I can have many colors up top and not just the few she chooses, and a bit more variety in accessories as a result. Then again, I just got back from a 4-day visit and I took only mushroom and purple items. Super easy. I have to admire anyone who can truly stick to a minimalist strategy, though. It has to make life so much simpler.

As for hating your clothes… been there, done that. First it was the colors. Then it was shop your shape. Then Style Statement, and each time I looked at the things in my closet and went what the heck was I thinking? So, so many mistakes. I spent most of my adult life as a size 6, then came the knee surgeries and back to school, and I didn’t know how to dress my larger self. Now I’m on the weight loss path and I’m still learning how to dress for my current career and life as a 50-something. Still refining what looks good and what doesn’t, what I need and don’t need, what I actually wear and what I think I might wear for some future mystery event in the imaginary glamorous life I don’t really have time for at the moment.

One of the joys of cruising is learning how you like to travel, and tailoring your experience to your preferences. I’ve said before we’ve had different kinds of packing based on our itineraries, and it pretty much boils down to minimalist/adventure cruise, fashionable/MMCL, at least for me. Some of that is by necessity, but on the larger ships it’s really just a combination of feeling like I want to dress nice, and also having the time to primp a little bit. I’m sure I could pare down if I wanted to, and maybe someday I’ll get to that point. Then again, maybe not! I DO like formal nights. 

Laurie, I’m with you on dinner. We always pick late seating and enjoy a more formal meal and good conversation. We have been fortunate so far in our dinner companions. We rarely go to the buffet except for cocktail snacks. I am a big fan of room service breakfast on the balcony.

Anita, my advice on the clothes front is this. Don’t get rid of the smaller clothes that don’t suit your style just yet. You may feel differently about them when they fit properly, and if you don’t you can always get rid of them later. I kept a lot of my smaller clothes, and as I work back into them again I keep maybe 1/3 and get rid of the others (of course, some things are just waaay out of style). Sometimes I’m reminded why I bought something in the first place and am glad I kept it. Sometimes a little tweaking (rethinking the hemline, adjusting the straps) is just what’s in order.

I went through the giant September Vogue on the plane, and I have lots of pictures to share! Fall is a wonderful time for color for us, especially this year. I’ll get to work on them this weekend. I’m lusting for this dusty turquoise corduroy jacket I saw in Christopher & Banks the other day, it was yummy. I barely restrained myself (see the part above about the imaginary glamorous life etc).

Edited by MJC

You know, today has just been one of those days. One where you don't do a whole lot, and you remind yourself that it's okay once in a while! I spent some time this morning just looking at dresses online while doing some odds and ends in between. My husband and I went to lunch (our Saturday date!) and then he had to go to work to check on something, so I went with him. They are putting together some sort of stage over at the university and he is required to look it over and so forth. So now we are home and I'm doing the computer thing.

Margaret, I get In Style myself. It's like a little alter ego thing for me that I enjoy. Wasn't this month's issue huge? and you are right about the fall colors. I can't wait to see what you post.

This upcoming cruise is just 4 days, although we added one day to the trip so that we could go to Kennedy Space Center again. It is very much an R&R trip. We always have late seating for dinner, and my husband asked me to tell them we wanted a big group for dinner! We have had 3 cruises with my daughters, and all of those times it was a table for the 4 of us. One cruise my daughter Alyssa and her friend went. That was a table for 4. Two cruises have just been my husband and I, and we sat with others. We very much enjoyed that. We've met some great people.

Cococay will be a relaxing beach day, but that night is formal night! Nassau isn't thrilling for me, so we may get off and go to Senor Frogs for lunch then get back on. When we tell people we go to Senor Frogs, they think "partiers!". The reality is, I get a drink, my hub gets a soda and we have lunch. When we get back on board, we have the ship to ourselves.

For our May cruise, I'm thinking out the whole outfit thing in much greater detail. Since it may be cooler, what will I be wearing? I may research the weather a bit, then check the extended forecast before we leave to make sure I have the right things along. I am thinking more pants than shorts, or a maxi skirt instead of one of my shorter skirts. Scarves, some cardigans over short sleeved shirts. Then again, I may need some fleece even? I will probably focus on this more after we get back from our fall trip.

I have black shoes, and the last time I wore them was April. I am very close to giving them to the Rescue Mission, but figured they are okay to keep around for an emergency.

My work clothes are based on various shades of brown pants. I have a nice warm purple pair, and a few shades of khaki as well. Now that it is getting cooler, I am wearing the darker khaki pair. For winter though, those will get put a way. Those are my core basics.

I had ordered a dress from Macys. For dresses ordered between different stores, three have already been returned. Tomorrow I will return this one! The color is a deeper champagne color. It's muted, but borderline cool/warm. I would have kept it but it was too big. It fit around my chest, but was way too big elsewhere. It had those shutter pleats going around, but they were one piece. To take it in would mean removing the back zipper and taking in the only seam, which is in the back. That wasn't going to work for me. There were quite a few inches involved.

I started my style statement today . My style is conservative but playful . I love conservative clothes with fun accents . As I have gotten older I know what I like and I rarely deviate . I love JJill clothes , Chico jewelry , borne ballet flats & adrianna papell for dressier clothes . My house tends to be coastal cottage .

traditional-living-room.jpg

Sally...I find the coastal cottage look to be very welcoming and relaxing. Very inviting. I hope you are having fun with your SS exercises.

That's a gorgeous dress Laurie...absolutely divine. I don't know what kind of money I'd have to have to ever think that price tag would be okay...but wow...what a ridiculous price tag for a dress is my first reaction.

After reading what I wrote...I was feeling like I should let myself get some clothes that helped me feel attractive. DH and I went out this morning to run some errands...knowing the big clearance going on a Kohl's...we went there and bought some things. I had a clear idea of what I really needed and so I'm so very happy, because I bought two bottoms, one shirt, and one dress. Undies, too, but we don't really need to talk about those. ;)

So here are some clothes I'm taking on my cruise!

Here are the bottoms...both are slimmer fitting cargo capris. All that action on the legs really helps break up the expanse of fabric on my thighs, etc. The semi-fitted nature helps to not add pounds. And everyone should know by now that I really want my pockets on the cruise. So...a tan pair and a chocolate brown pair. EARTH staples.

P1090475_zpsb06b8e4d.jpg

Here they are again with my blouses for evening dining:

1. The far left red print is my new shirt from today's shopping. Yes. The background is ivory. So not perfect. There is a tan and kind of dark brown/black in the print also. I'm hoping the overall effect is warm. The fit is wonderful. Again...skimming the body with a draped neckline.

2. The middle one is very sheer. I need to wear a cami underneath. You can see the sheerness in the neckline area where the back of the shirt shows as a single layer. There are sparkles on this shirt. This is the one that I wore to that Jazz on the Lawn event and thought I was so stylin'. The fabric dangling down on the left side is one of two ties for the back. The shirt is an A-line, but it isn't too full, so I don't look pregnant! This is an old Goodwill purchase.

3. The far right print is a chocolate brown background. It's a faux wrap A-line shirt. It is very comfortable. Stretch jersey fabric. I do have to add a safety pin at the neckline because I don't care to flash my bra to the servers leaning over my shoulder... It's a flattering silhouette on me though.

P1090478_zps2d10c1b6.jpg

All of these shirts go with both pairs of pants. I'm not sure that I would turn around and wear them during the day though. Maybe the far right one... The others, the fabric is that fine mesh like fabric that isn't something I would want to be sweaty in. So I wouldn't walk around Nassau in either shirt...so I will add at least one more top...maybe more.

I want to include this photo because it just shows how off colors can be in photos. Here are those same shirts with the flash:

P1090477_zps06b895a3.jpg

Not so EARTHy looking...

Here are my dresses. Everyone has seen the one on the left many times. The one on the right is my new one from today's shopping. So lightweight and comfy. I KNOW that I will wear this to dinner on our Half Moon Cay beach day. I think I'm going to wear the blue one on elegant night...What do you think mousey? Can I get away with dressing this one up? I feel so good in that one...

P1090479_zps5bf1aae1.jpg

I've heard from Mom a couple times now. Here's what she said regarding fashion on formal night (keep in mind that she is responding to my thoughts that heels may not be good for me to wear with my hip issue):

"The ladies here wore all kinds of footwear for formal night. Everything from rhinestone flip flops to blinged out sneakers to stilettos. Actually, the heels looked out of place! No kidding. Maybe it's an environmental thing... like it's so stupid to wear high, high heels on a ship! I think you could look stylish in appropriate flats on formal night."

I'm going to have fun picking out the things to help turn these clothes into fun outfits!

Anita, I'm so happy you posted pictures. I LOVE seeing pictures. As a matter of fact, I plan on taking some pictures myself soon, even though I have about 8 weeks to go.

I love all the items you are bringing. And I mean that seriously! I wear a lot of those sort of things as well, as far as the tops go. I love them all. And you right about the flash. I think it's because dark colors absorb light, and lighter colors reflect it. I have trouble taking pictures because of the area I have to hang them up in doesn't work very well with the lighting in my room.

I go for draped neck shirts in jersey fabrics are a great go to for me. I have a handful that I wear to work and other places all the time. They wash great, and you just hang them up. They are ready to go! The neckline mimics a v-neck, which is so much more flattering for me.

I love how you can mix and match everything.

I struggle with bottoms sometimes. It took me a while to realize what to get in work pants. I looked awful in anything slim fitting, in my opinion. then I realized that when pants taper to the ankle, the ankle is the smallest part of your leg. Being top heavy, I was creating this funnel or inverted triangle effect. I found that when I switched to a boot cut or something straight but looser, it was perfect. NY & Company dress pants fit me perfectly. I don't even need to try them on. If they have an earth color, I wait for a sale or coupon (they had buy one, get one free not too long about, so I got two pairs for $50.00) and then grab them.

I do the same with jeans and casual pants. I'm still not certain about the best length for capris and shorts, but I think I am getting the hang of it.

For something below the knee, I"m best with a semi fitted pair that is more of an ankle pant. It needs to be loose in that particular area, but not baggy in the thigh. Above the knee is harder for me, because it seems most shorts are baggy in the leg, you know what I mean? I tend to look frumpy. I think that is why I migrate to the shorter casual skirts. They are straight without being clingy.

I love your dresses. I too, have certain "go to" items that I love like your dress on the left. My red dress almost always goes with me on a cruise. It has served me well for a wedding as well. The dress on the right looks so comfortable and is styled perfectly for a cruise.

Anita, I wouldn't pay a third of that amount for the dress. Yes, love it, but I have so many better things to do with my money and that just isn't affordable. I told my husband that if no one else like it but me and they marked it down to 70% off, it would still be just over $300.00 and I wouldn't do that either.

I toyed with trying on clothing for the November cruise today. I put on the purple dress today. You know what I noticed? I have curves. I haven't been able to see them much lately with my choices. It has me thinking that I should be willing to try on things that I don't think will work, such as I did with this dress. I had it on not too long ago, and I think I mentioned it already...my husband walked in and said "wow! I like that!" I felt really good and I'm excited to wear it. I'm wearing those bronze sandals with it. It's a bit outside of the box as far as what I would usually do, but I think it works.

One thing that is really odd, I have three out of four nights figured out, and I have had that figured out for ages. I've been going back and forth on what to do for the last night. I had a dress out that is more of a work dress for me, but I know it would work out well. Then I got to thinking about that teal dress, the lacy looking one? That travels well. If I do go with that, my formal dress, teal dress and purple dress will all be worn with the bronze sandals, and I was really hoping not to bring a zillion pairs of shoes. That works for me. I have a pair picked out for the maxi dress, and they are a gold, thin strap flat pair.

I will take pictures soon, with the whole jewelry and shoe selections. It's time to figure out the daytime stuff.

Your mom's comments about shoes were funny. I'm not a fan of stilettos, because I value my safety. :eek: My younger daughter is short and she loves to wear them. The heels on my shoes are about 3 inches I think?

I too agree that you can look nice wearing flatter shoes. sneakers and flip flops on formal night? Sounds like there is quite a mix going on! I hope she is enjoying herself, and getting to know Oasis. I'd love to sail that ship someday.

My dress from Kohls has been shipped and should arrive sometime this coming week.

By the way, we checked out that dress in person in Lord and Taylor today, but it was the ivory version. (the $1075.00 dress) It was on clearance for $750.00. Bahahaha!

Sally, it looks like you are progressing on your style statement. I tried to just clear my mind, and jot down whatever popped into my head. After getting away from it, I went back and asked myself if those answers were honest, or me writing what I thought I should write. I only changed a few where I thought I wasn't being honest with myself, but I noticed a very clear and straightforward pattern. You do seem to have a very good idea of what you like. That is so important to develop.

I do find it helps me when shopping. I asked myself about the word elegance when I'm not certain.

I picked up some clearance shorts today. They are a blue, maybe a lighter tone of teal? I realized looking at them that they looked warm, and by all means, they were muted. They aren't really baggy in the legs. I felt confident buying them even though I struggle horribly with blue and purple. I think that is why I keep buying purple things to try. My purple dress that I already have I feel fairly confident about, color wise. It's tough though.

I agree with you on slim fitting. Mom has the right legs and body for the slim pants. She looks great. My calves and thighs are too big for the slim fit or skinny.

In capris though...I do like it when the bottoms aren't baggy and are more fitted. If there is that extra fabric around the calves...well...I look a bit dumpy. I totally relate to what you said about shorts. I don't look good in too short shorts right now because my thighs are retaining water so badly. Ugh. I usually look the best at about 3-4 inches above the knee...just enough to see that slimmer part of the leg above the knee? These are so hard to find...generally they are more like mid-thigh on me...and these don't work at all...that hits right at that point where my crotch starts to eat the inseam and it rides up the middle...HATE that.

And for Bermuda shorts...if these are baggy at all above the knee...yes...frumpy dumpy looking. I did try on a couple pairs of shorts at Kohls and decided that I would go all capris. No shorts at this time. The length of the capris is much more flattering.

My problem with straight shorter skirts is that I often get this weird uplift in the front. If you look at the profile, it flares forward in a very unattractive way. OR...it is so hard to get the fit right...so that the length looks right front and back...my rear rump and front pop are odd...if the straight short skirt isn't just right, it's too short in the front or back. So I get flared skirts (but these are dangerous on a cruise! I flashed everyone Spring Break 2012!) or maxi skirts. Generally...I don't like my big calves showing under the flared skirt, so I've been gravitating toward the maxi.

I've been looking at my jewelry. I normally don't bring my wedding ring on vacation. It would break my heart to lose it. I designed it and had it made by a wonderful man. It has two diamonds, one from DH's Dad's Mom and one from my Dad's Mom. The diamonds complete the circle of the ring. Two families coming together. It's absolutely irreplaceable. And as much as I would love to wear it in the evening...I'm not pleased with the way the safes work on Carnival and so I don't feel too comfortable putting my ring in there for the beach or pool or port. I'm wishing I had other rings though...since I don't have too many other accessories to try to personalize my outfits.

I've been looking at different blogs and ads and mags and I see handbags really completely a look too, but that doesn't work for me on the cruise really. I'm not a big bag fan...

Anita,

Your choices are perfect for your Carnival cruise. Both dresses would work really well also. I think you've "nailed" it.

Laurie,

I would die for that dress! I love that color so much. Unfortunately I could never wear it because I long ago stopped wearing anything that shows my arms (no choice with swimsuits though). I just don't like them. Ugh!

I just noticed that most of the dresses I have (I don't wear them much because they don't fit my lifestyle though I've been thinking of wearing them with boots and a blazer this fall.) are mostly "wrap" or "faux wrap" styles. I think this style flatters me the most. They all have either 3/4-length or long sleeves and are all below the knee by several inches. I'm kind of getting excited about wearing them as I have several of them that have just been sitting in the closet for so long they are like "new" to me.

Our Vegas trip is next week and I'm thinking of changing my usual outfits (mostly tunic tops and Capri pants) for a more classic look. I'm thinking of wearing a blazer with a shirt or blouse and my skinny jeans with booties and a clutch purse. Not sure yet if I'll really do this when push comes to shove but I'll be putting outfits together starting tomorrow and I'll try on some more sophisticated looks. I'm feeling a change is good for me right now.

My two latest purchases from TJ Maxx were a "bucket" bag...brown leather with a ton of small silver and gold discs on it (t's big and bold) and a Calvin Klein faux leather motorcycle-type jacket. I just love all the zippers and snaps. I really love it and the price was perfect. I don't like to spend a lot of money on trendy stuff so this was priced perfectly for my needs. The only thing is....it's BLACK! Oops...but it fit perfectly and so I just had to have it.:eek:

What I'm on the lookout for now, when I shop in Vegas at the Caesar's Palace Forum Shops, are big, comfy, cotton knit sweaters for Fall. I'm definitely on the lookout for ones in Earth colors and will not buy any that aren't.

It's been so hot here in CA for the last two months that I'm really looking forward to Fall as it's my favorite time of the year. Not that the weather will change here all that much but it will get cooler.

Edited by mousey

Anita , Your clothes are perfect for your cruise . I have cruised on Carnival and all those outfits will fit in well .I enjoy Carnival . It's always a fun trip . I have also been on RCL ,NCL , Costa & Celebrity and I enjoyed them all .

Laura , I love that dress but I hate the price .It would be fun to try on and see if you really really love it . The only time I shopped for a dress with a super high budget was for my daughter's wedding .It was fun but I ended up being practical and buying a $200 gown .

Mousey , I admire your trendy approach . Sometimes I am just too conservative .

Anita , Your clothes are perfect for your cruise . I have cruised on Carnival and all those outfits will fit in well .I enjoy Carnival . It's always a fun trip . I have also been on RCL ,NCL , Costa & Celebrity and I enjoyed them all .

Laura , I love that dress but I hate the price .It would be fun to try on and see if you really really love it . The only time I shopped for a dress with a super high budget was for my daughter's wedding .It was fun but I ended up being practical and buying a $200 gown .

Mousey , I admire your trendy approach . Sometimes I am just too conservative .

Sailor Sally,

I remember one time I wore a new pair of wedge-heeled sneakers to a barbecue and a new friend to our little group said, "I love your trendy sneakers." Whereupon, one of my longtime friends said, "That girl will be trendy till the day she dies!" LOL! So, I kinda got that, Hey! maybe I'm more trendy than I should be...but I just can't help it. My DS (19) told me when he was here this summer..."Mom, we don't follow trends...we start them." Which I thought was pretty funny. In his case he is so right. His friends all seem to look to him to see what he's wearing. That's not so true in my case as my friends are all way more conservative than me. But it's just who I am and all my friends enjoy what I wear. I get a lot of..."Only you could or would wear that."...I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not...LOL! I do know that when I do wear something conservative my friends are like..."What the heck!" The DH says it's because I have Leo rising. LOL!

Edited by mousey

It's funny how we are, isn't it? Before I did the style statement book, I felt I was looking for something, I just didn't know what it was. Now, it makes so much more sense to me. I will say that it is still hard to shop at times because I have a good idea of what I want but can't find it in the stores!

Anita, I will be very interested in seeing what your observations are of Carnival. I have only gone on Royal Caribbean, and I haven't really felt inclined to try other lines just yet. I think I would like Celebrity, and perhaps Princess. There are some upscale cruise lines, but the only aspect that appeals to me are the formal nights, or even more formal every day attire.

That being said, I enjoy relaxing and dressing for the occasion. Sometimes, that means shorts and a casual top. I think I would feel very out of place on some of those upscale cruise lines.

Sally, I haven't really talked to anyone who has sailed NCL or Costa. What are your thoughts on those? Do you have a favorite, or does it depend on the itinerary?

What I enjoy about RCI is that it has a comfortable, family oriented vibe. I am just as comfortable with my husband and I as I am when I travel with my daughters, who are now young adults. I love to dress up for dinner, and love the MDR.

We love to play trivia! I hope to ask on the next cruise if there is a way for me to see the questions...I think I have mentioned it before, but I have a severe hearing loss. I enjoy playing trivia, but my husband has to try and write the questions as they are asking them.

Today, I took care of some last shopping.

I bought two shorts pajamas and two built in bra cami pajamas. I always wondered who in their right mind would want a built in support pajama top? Well...I suppose anyone that might be seen in their pajamas by their teen aged DS might appreciate some headlights being dimmed...I like the one brand at Target that has the super soft knits...they didn't have any good EARTH colors though...:rolleyes:

I also ordered these sandals:

2746245-t-THUMBNAIL.jpg

http://vip.zappos.com/p/sanuk-yoga-sling-2-chocolate/product/8250068/color/18

I think these are the more cute and comfy sandals that I've been wanting. Perfect for walking around the cruise ship.

A few other odds and ends to round out necessities...

I think I've decided to just wear work out clothes for walking around Nassau! I have to double check the weather...but I anticipate doing a lot of walking and I want to wear good walking shoes...and I can't picture wearing those shoes with anything but my exercise clothes...which I know I want to bring anyway...

I'll be doing laundry in earnest tomorrow...I'm debating trying to pack on Thursday. I always pack the day before we leave...and I always am up so late that night. We plan to be ON THE ROAD by 5 am so I have to get some sleep Friday night...

This Friday is an off Friday for DH...so he can pack himself Friday and I can pack DS Friday. Get it in the car...

Friday can just be making sure that the kitchen is clean...and cleaned out.

So excited!!

Anita, I am so excited for you!! You have made some really good purchases that you will get a lot out of, both on and off your cruise.

Pajamas are my outlet...since I've never seen earth pajamas, this is when I say I can wear all those other colors! I do have a brown strapping nightgown though. I am going to have to check Target out as I've been looking for pajamas like that.

I always can't wait to pack but I don't want things wrinkly. If you get things out and organized early, that will help.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Go find it Debbie! We are going solo on this cruise. *gasp*

Mom and Dad are still on the Oasis. They disembark in Barcelona on the day that we embark in Jacksonville. We will make it home before them though...because they continue on their vacation in Barcelona and Paris.

I'll pick them up from the Atlanta airport on Sept 29, I think. Pretty all sure. :rolleyes:

I plan on taking pictures. And I'll try to not be too upset in how I look in them. I'm bigger than I was on both of our last cruises...:( I know that seeing the pictures will be a bit upsetting...but I'll try to just use that for motivation for when we get back.

Nothing I'm packing will get too wrinkly, which is why I can be the first one packed. I discovered a video that showed how to pack a suit coat and a dress shirt and avoid wrinkles. We'll see if it works!

After my class at noon, I'm going to paint my toes. Fingers on Friday after the packing/work is done. I've decided on Azure toes and Incognito in Sausalito fingers. The Azure is so cool. Sometimes it looks teal, sometimes blue. Incognito in Sausalito can look black...it's so dark. I love it.

Chanel-Azure-e1368408194500.jpg

OPI-Incognito-in-Sausalito.jpg

OK...new topic of conversation...looking for these nail swatches...I found this one:

nightskynailart3.JPG

That Incognito in Sausalito is the darkest color on these nails. And I'm thinking to myself, how did she do that? Because the blog says "easy gradient"...EASY? So I find two videos...

And I am amazed. I don't have time to do this for the cruise. Nor do I think I would really want this on this cruise...I think you'd have to have a very good plan for what clothes you were wearing...keeping them within that neutral and maybe one or two accent colors (I have more colors than that)...because otherwise, the nails might clash...but I think this is a very fun look. I'd love to try it. In the blog, the writer says it reminds her of the desert. It does me too! Maybe for that reason alone, I like this particular one. Reminds me of Scottsdale in a big way...and I think these colors could complement EARTH attire.

I haven't ever tried the big toe decorations either. I like metallic toes...and it seems like most people do decor on a more solid like color. One lady in Curves has a kind of red pink color and her big toes were strawberries. Another lady had fun floral motif on her big toe. I've seen stripes, polka dots, etc.

Is anyone into this? Would you do this on your nails? Ok...let's all suppose that you had enough nails to do this. Not too short. Or thin. Or damaged. Beyond that...

OMG. Just arrived. So cute. So comfortable!!

P1090480_zps6bb66b87.jpg

P1090481_zps63579a66.jpg

P1090483_zps8807b600.jpg

The other mom said that the only thing was that her feet could get a bit sweaty on the insole. I deal with this with my Tevas...so not unfamiliar. I wanted something more comfy than the typical flat sandal...but something more attractive and able to go with non-sporty clothes than the typical more comfy sandal. These fit the bill! So excited!

I just realized...this is the 4th house that I've lived in since we started this thread! OMG.

This is my new family room!

The couch and the ottoman are new. Just purchased for this house. The ottoman is on wheels (Bonus!) and so it moves all around easy. I've gone with the idea of little adjustable tables for drinks and remotes and reading material. I didn't pick the carpet or the paint color, but I love both. The lamp is not my fav, but it works. I'm going to be replacing it in the future.

The painting on the wall was painted by my Great Grandma Mary.

Sophisticated Treasure in action!

Adding...this is what I do when I do laundry. Deal with laundry...look at CC. More laundry...more CC. LOL!

Edited by Anita Latte

Anita,

I'm so excited for you! Your excitement is making me smile!

I love your new sandals! They seem like a perfect choice for what you wanted. They look like they'll be so comfortable.

I hope you and the family have an awesome cruise!

As far as the nails! I love the colors you've picked especially that darker color. I don't think I'd do something as elaborate as the picture you showed but I have been known to use different colors on different nails at the same time. I've also had little flowers painted on my big toes. I agree that in order to wear a look like the one you showed you'd have to plan out your wardrobe for a cruise very carefully so what you wear didn't clash with the nail design and colors. That would be too much work for me.

Laurie,

I've cruised on both NCL and Costa. We cruised to the Caribbean on Costa and had a great time. It was a more "European" crowd than on any of our other cruises. It was a fun time. One night they had a "Toga" night and I, along with the other lady at our table, dressed up in the sheets that were provided by Costa. It was so funny when weeks later when we traded pictures of that night and laughed at how "that's not really a great look for us!" The DS was 9 at the time and we were paired up with this family from England who had a son that was two years older than our DS. They hit it off great and so did the DH and I with the parents. It all made for fun nights in the MDR. I did notice that people dressed up more for "formal" nights on Costa than on NCL or Carnival. But I only have the one Costa cruise to observe and comment on. All in all, I'd sail on Costa again any time.

NCL to me is almost the exact same as Carnival with the exception of the food and restaurants. NCL offers more dining choices (pay to eat places) than Carnival and their MDRs are all "anytime" dining. They don't have the standard dining times like Carnival. I would also say that Carnival's food is more "comfort" food and NCL is more varied. Since I'm a plain eater I much prefer Carnival's type of food to that of NCL. Other than the food, I would say that the crowds are the same as Carnival. It's just as casual and laid back as Carnival.

We usually choose our cruises based solely on finances and itinerary. Whoever offers the cheapest cruise going where we want to go when we want to go is the cruise line we pick. We're not loyal to any one cruise line. Having said that, this has resulted in most of our cruises being taken on NCL and Carnival ships. Even though we are in our 60s, the DH and I aren't at a place where we feel the need to cruise with an older, quieter crowd. We love mixing it up with people of all ages. Young or old, we get along with everyone. We also don't feel the need to avoid spring breakers, children, older folks, or party people.

To sum it up...we just love to cruise and so in order to cruise more often we choose the cheapest cruises available that fit our needs at any given time. We don't care about them being "upscale". We get along with all classes of people and fit in with most people that we meet. We just love having a good time. To us, any cruise is a good cruise. We've never had a bad one.

Edited by mousey

Anita, those nail colors are really nice! I will have to try one of these more modern colors sometime, when I am on vacation. I have always loved wearing frosts, usually in what I would call off-red. (this is pre-earth determination) I say off red in that they weren't the traditional bright reds, but variations. I always felt my nails needed to be a certain length before I would ware polish though. These days, I branch out more with the colors, but I still tend to stay with more traditional colors. My last cruise, my nails were not super long, and I thought they looked okay. I think I would have like a different color more.

The techniques they use these days are amazing. It has to be pretty complex to do all those things on the surface of a nail. I think I would be more apt to have one nail that way rather than a whole set. I'd probably be staring at my hands all the time, lol.

Your sandals look so comfortable. They look like a perfect walking sandal to me, and I love the brown. Your gold toes look cute too!!

Your living room looks great. It has such a fresh, clean look to it. An ottoman with wheels is something I wish I had. We recently purchased new furniture for our family room, and the couch, loveseat and ottomans are a faux brown leather. The ottomans are oversized, and we have them pushed together. It's great for Friday night dinner while watching a game or movie, but they can be moved apart as needed. They don't have wheels though so they're a bit heavy.

I like your painting too. My husband's mom was a painter, and we have some paintings in different rooms. Our walls have a bit much on them, but I love and adore photos. Between paintings and photos, we have had to give a great deal of thought to arrangement as it gets cluttered looking very easily.

I can't wait to see your pictures when you get back! I am no fan of seeing pictures of myself at times, but I have been learning that I need to love who I am, no matter what size or shape.

Mousey, I do enjoy having a good time on a cruise, and I'm not sure if we are the typical couple our age, as far as when we travel by ourselves. I enjoyed seeking out some of the Dreamworks characters on board. Hey, Puss in Boots asked me to marry him on my last cruise...I wish I had gotten a picture of that!

It seems you hear all sorts of good and bad things about the different cruise lines. I really don't think they are good and bad, just different. And whatever suits your tastes is what you will love to go with. I have a few friends that are the same as you - wherever the deal, timing and itinerary is right. With me, I've loved the RCI experience enough to plan ahead enough to work with what they have and when. I'm a bit sad that they are changing to dynamic dining. However, there is a restaurants "where every night is formal night", so it may turn out to be a great thing. Except that the overall atmosphere won't be there.

Laundry is going well. One more clothes load after the one that's currently running! Then I can decide regarding house linens...

The other big accomplishment today has to do with cooking! All my cooking is done for the week. We have leftovers enough for lunches and dinners AND enough for me to throw some in the freezer for some easy meals post vacation. I'm thrilled with this! It means I can get the kitchen seriously cleaned NOT at the last minute...and it won't get too messy with just reheating leftovers! I might do my finger nails earlier too!

The new sandals are very comfortable. They seem like they would be good for any time that I would be on my feet a lot...maybe not walking seriously though...not sure they are good for that...but we'll see.

I like messing with my nails. It can be difficult to map out the time to do it...but it is one thing that I do enjoy doing for myself. There are so few things that I DO enjoy that are similar in nature...for instance, I don't love dealing with any kind of skin care ritual...such a pain. And 9 times out of 10, I don't really do anything special for my face...I should probably change that.

We are highly hopeful for and in anticipation of a wonderful cruise!

You are really on a roll here! We go through a whole process of cleaning the entire house before we leave on vacation. It sounds like you do the same.

Is help you with the laundry but I've got to work tomorrow. :-). :-)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Anita , I love the sandals . Have fun on your cruise .

Laura , I have been on three of four Costa cruises years ago when I first started cruising . They were fine . We then cruised NCL for many years . Best entertainment of all the lines .After that we did go on RCL several times & Celebrity once and Carnival several times . All in all most cruise lines are pretty similar . I agree with Mousey as I am also not ready for Holland America but I would consider Princess . Cunard would just not be my thing . We are looking at a 14 day Canadian Cruise for next year . I was on a seven day a few years ago and this time I really want to see Quebec .