RCCL..The Nation of NOT!

Wow, now I'm concerned. Sailing Monday on Navigator for a 5-night cruise. We are diamond members and have sailed RCI quite a number of times and while some people were having a "bad moment" most were helpful and pleasant. I hope they read "Chart" and improve their attitude by Monday. I was going to ask how the weather in the Caribbean was? :)

As long as you don't need the excursion desk to help you with information about independent tours, you should be alright. :cool:

OP: can I ask, What did you do in Falmouth? what was the private transportation (can you compare it to another island?) Was the $80 to go to and from and did the driver wait for you or come back? Any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks so much! [all we want to do is go to the nearest, nicest beach with food/drink and bathrooms.]

I understand they you feel this way, but I don't think you're right. It wouldn't even occur to me to ask the excursion desk for information about non-ship-sponsored excursions. Since you were obviously disappointed, "why not" just ask the Loyalty Ambassador about booking your next Carnival cruise? ;)

I agree with you!:D:D

In my line of work I've noticed many things. First, and foremost, is that some people are not happy unless they're complaining. I have been on many RC cruises and have never run into a rude crew member. The passengers can get a little testy, but not the crew.

We tried "the other guys" once..It was like being in a stuffy hotel. We always go on Carnival now (They are the fun ships). Before yall slam me..I know everyone has their own favorites...But the staff didnt seem as friendly and yes, I have had problems on Carnival..nothing will ever be perfecct..but I will pick the funships anyday!

Staff is never perfect,they are human, they have their days like we do. We've had terrible experienes on RCI with a room attendant taking something out of our minibar, but it was resolved and we moved on. We make our own experiences anyways. Remember that the staff is there to serve you, if not, go to a higher up, you will get results, IF not, post it here. It will get attention.

In my line of work I've noticed many things. First, and foremost, is that some people are not happy unless they're complaining. I have been on many RC cruises and have never run into a rude crew member. The passengers can get a little testy, but not the crew.

Lucky you, but it does happen to the best of us. The main thing is not to let that ruin your trip and much less to keep you from cruising again.

OP: can I ask, What did you do in Falmouth? what was the private transportation (can you compare it to another island?) Was the $80 to go to and from and did the driver wait for you or come back? Any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks so much! [all we want to do is go to the nearest, nicest beach with food/drink and bathrooms.]

To clarify, I asked for info on private transportation from falmouth, not excursions. For those who wish not to pay double on a ship sponsored excursion:

-When exiting the ship in Falmouth, there is a Private transportation Shuttle/Taxi area on the opposite side of the craft shop area. Facing the Port Exit, on your left, well within the secure area. Posted on the wall of that side of the Market shops, is a Price board, for various destinations, half/round trip. Shuttle bus to DR CAVE beach r/t is $20 pp. Our bus waited. I hope this helps, we had no such info.

Op, just how many Royal cruises have you been on? You're talking about it going down hill, yet I don't get the impression that you've been on very many. I have been on more that a few and have never experienced the unfriendliness you speak of. You sound a bit high matinence to me.

To clarify, I asked for info on private transportation from falmouth, not excursions. For those who wish not to pay double on a ship sponsored excursion:

-When exiting the ship in Falmouth, there is a Private transportation Shuttle/Taxi area on the opposite side of the craft shop area. Facing the Port Exit, on your left, well within the secure area. Posted on the wall of that side of the Market shops, is a Price board, for various destinations, half/round trip. Shuttle bus to DR CAVE beach r/t is $20 pp. Our bus waited. I hope this helps, we had no such info.

Sorry, some more info on Dr Cave Beach.

-Yes, it has bathrooms, as well as an outdoor bar, food options.

- It is a private beach club, $5 to enter, $2.50 for kids

- Chairs r available to rent, again $5

- About 25min from Falmouth

It is BEAUTIFUL! I will try to attach some pics.

Look, Falmouth is a New Port. There is little to no info on it available. For this very reason, A RCCL excursion employee not knowing everything about it is inexcusable, even for a RCCL apologist.

My general thesis is that there is a not so subtle shift in the RCCL experience. One caused by what I believe is the need to further increase revenue. To offset costs associated with the Allure and the Oasis? I dunno. Who here wouldn't prefer to see a simple grill station and bar/beverage area where Johnny Rockets is? Deck 12 side/aft. This place was EMPTY! Yet Rccl ships continue to add REV generating dining space. What happens? Windjammer gets even more jammed.

Windjammer gets even more jammed. What? If you are referencing to the Oasis (haven't cruised on the Allure), we never stepped in the WJ. There are some 14 free places to eat on Oasis.

Breakfast and lunch : MDR for lunch when at sea as they have a great salad buffet. Park Cafe, ate here here most of the breakfasts and lunches. Solarium Cafe for breakfast (healthier fare). Johnny Rocket for one breakfast as we wanted fresh eggs and omelets (gratis for breakfast)

Sorrento's for lunch--had personal pan pizza.

Dinner: Ate in the MDR except for 2 nights at Giovanni's and Chops Grille.

There's no need to eat in the WJ at all.

Ps. haven't discusse the Kiosks, Promenade Cafe, Dounut place for snacks.

Thanks, Do you recall how much loungers and umbrellas cost to rent for the day? How did you decided on Doctors Cave Beach? I was looking for a thread on Falmouth under ports of cal to no avail. :rolleyes: Also, is there an entry fee to the beach? Restaurant? And, [sorry for questions]- Do you know the Cost to Rent Jet Skiis there?

Historically, the excursions desks on board do not give out info on private car/van service because they are looking to make $$$ on booking excursions. This, really is just the way it has always been- altho I understand and sympathize with your comments and review.

to NELBLU - I thought there was a charge for breakfast @ Johnny Rockets? It states that on RCIS web site. :rolleyes: Back to the web site, i didnt realize there were 14 places to eat for free???

From what I have read on here many times, "it is up to the Captains of the ships" as to whether the balcony dividers can be opened or not.

So RCCL can not make a definitive statement on here unless they ask the Captain of his ship. :D

I would say I disagree, if I understood that statement. If RCI wanted to make a fleetwide devcision, they could. Many people here attribute that to being captain's disgression, I truely doubt the captain of megaliner cares, or has a reason to care. I believe, with no basis for this, that the crew takes the easy way out and just says it can't be done.

I have been on RCI (Diamond +) and Celebrity. I understand that Celebrity is very nice and the service and food is a notch up. While I like RCI.... I would go with Celebrity first if all things were equal.

Ships within a line DO vary. we all know this.

I think you stated fairly you point of view. While some of us may not agree with what you think the procedures for RCI should be, they are what they are.

Time to move on before this turns ugly. Some people on both sides of an issue love to pound thing like this until they are raw.

May your next cruise be the best ever...... I sincerely mean that!:cool:

Thanks, Do you recall how much loungers and umbrellas cost to rent for the day? How did you decided on Doctors Cave Beach? I was looking for a thread on Falmouth under ports of cal to no avail. :rolleyes: Also, is there an entry fee to the beach? Restaurant? And, [sorry for questions]- Do you know the Cost to Rent Jet Skiis there?

Historically, the excursions desks on board do not give out info on private car/van service because they are looking to make $$$ on booking excursions. This, really is just the way it has always been- altho I understand and sympathize with your comments and review.

to NELBLU - I thought there was a charge for breakfast @ Johnny Rockets? It states that on RCIS web site. :rolleyes: Back to the web site, i didnt realize there were 14 places to eat for free???

There is an admission for Doctor's Cave Beach and we thought it was worth the cost. Can't recall the cost of umbrellas and chairs but I believe that the prices were in line with what we have paid on other beaches in the Caribbean. Doctors Cave Beach is located in downtown Montego Bay so you will have other dining options near the beach if you choose not to use their restaurant/bar facilities.

There is no charge for breakfast at Johnny Rockets. Check the RCI website and you should see that your information is not correct. A cover charge for other meals there but not for breakfast.

Im sorry I was late with my info on Dr Cave, It is above as a quote reply. I have been there 3x and love it. I am also familiar w/other excursions and am happy to help. If someone could explain the easiest way to post pics, I have good ones.

There is an admission for Doctor's Cave Beach and we thought it was worth the cost. Can't recall the cost of umbrellas and chairs but I believe that the prices were in line with what we have paid on other beaches in the Caribbean. Doctors Cave Beach is located in downtown Montego Bay so you will have other dining options near the beach if you choose not to use their restaurant/bar facilities.

There is no charge for breakfast at Johnny Rockets. Check the RCI website and you should see that your information is not correct. A cover charge for other meals there but not for breakfast.

Thank you for all the information. I could have sworn when we booked Izumi and Chops that it said there was a charge for breakfast! I guess I mis read that, thanks a bunch for clariflyng! Was there a wait for breakfast, do you know? Did it seem lke a popular place many went for breakfast?

Im sorry I was late with my info on Dr Cave, It is above as a quote reply. I have been there 3x and love it. I am also familiar w/other excursions and am happy to help. If someone could explain the easiest way to post pics, I have good ones.

I upload to photobucket. it is very easy to use. Many use web shots as well.

Sounding like a great beach to go to! How far from the port?

No charge for breakfast only. They will ask for your seapass, but no charge will be reflected. I think that they do that simply for tipping purposes, which we did.

I have never had that experience with any RCL ships. I have been on the NOS and it was wonderful. I have never had an unpleasant look when asking for a coke from any of the bars. I have never had an employee be rude. I would NEVER expect the excursion desk to answer questions about private companies. That is something that I look up before cruising. Why would you expect RCL to allow beer, soda, or wine smuggled on board. The policies are posted for all of us to read. I get irritated when someone thinks the rules don't apply to them. The rules are set and we have a choice to buy a ticket. I have a choice to buy a ticket today or wait until the last minute hoping for a price reduction. By the way, I have had 3 so far on my MOS cruise coming this summer. After I make final payment I understand the rules are set. I READ the rules and agree to them or I don't cruise.

We tried "the other guys" once..It was like being in a stuffy hotel. We always go on Carnival now (They are the fun ships). Before yall slam me..I know everyone has their own favorites...But the staff didnt seem as friendly and yes, I have had problems on Carnival..nothing will ever be perfecct..but I will pick the funships anyday!

Yea well you could not give me a free cruise to go on the fun economy ships

Yea well you could not give me a free cruise to go on the fun economy ships

ROFL funny thats what my father in law said when we told him we were going on Royal Caribbean.... he asked why we keep sticking to the economy lines (we've previously sailed Carnival and NCL)... we told him we like friends in low places.

No charge for breakfast only. They will ask for your seapass, but no charge will be reflected. I think that they do that simply for tipping purposes, which we did.

Thanks! I found the info & breakfast menu too! Im clueless why I thought I read there was a charge for breakfast.

[while Im here... has anyone gone on the Beach break and Cuisine excursion to chukka beach FY07? it is a 4 hr excursion $49pp but wondering how far the beach is and if it includes loungers and umbrella. Its even tough to google- looks like it is far and closer to ocho rios and is a cove?]

Archived