NCL Sun 2/19 - 2/26 - My Observations

RaMar

This was our 25th cruise and #6 with NCL. Can't believe that it went by so fast but that's what happens.

Embarkation: Got to the pier around 12:15, there was a considerable line but it moved very quickly and in about a half hour we were on board. We were in a penthouse suite so once on board we went to Il Adagio for lunch. By the time we finished lunch(service was slow), they made an announcement that cabins were ready.

We had booked a forward penthouse on deck 9. This penthouse was a bit of a disappointment to me. For starters, in the very middle of the room there is a structural column that interferes with the flow. This cabin offers no privacy whatsoever because when you open the door and take three steps to your left is the queen size bed and two night stands. In addition, there was waayyy too much furniture in this space, a sofa bed against one of the walls, two chairs, large coffee table, and a table with four chairs. It resembled a furniture showroom but we managed to walk around all of these without breaking a toe! To the left of the room there is a door which was closed and when I opened it, there is a closet, small sitting area and a magnificent bathroom with an awsome whirlpool tub with a shower, There is an additional shower and the much needed toilet behind glass doors. There is plenty of storage for toiletries with large cabinets. I absolutely loved the bathroom and really enjoyed the whirlpool tub. Our balcony was a decent size with two lounge chairs and two small metal tables. The balcony is very private and you cannot see your neighbors, the only negative issue is that when the ship is in motion, the wind is unbelievable.

Ports of Call: We had been to all these ports before and we just booked an excursion in one of them.

Cozumel: We docked right by where the action is and I think that I was out for about an hour or so. I had never forgotten that the store employees stand right in front of the stores and try to lure you in. "Amigo, come in" was all I heard for an hour.

Guatemala: It was very humid and hot there, and we just went to the crafts market by the pier.

Belize: We booked the Snorkling and Beach Break Excursion and it was very nice. This is a very popular tour because there were about 150 people on the tour. They take you far out to a reef to snorkle for about an hour and then you end up in a place called Banister Island. The beach was nice and we stayed there for over an hour.

Key West: Very little time there with so much to do but it was nice to be back.

FOOD: This is always subjective and I'll give you a brief summary. I thought that the food at the Garden Cafe was not that great in comparison to other NCL ships. The choices are limited and the layout of that place is a horror!

Seven Seas MDR: No wait at all to be seated. Food was good and the service was great.

Four Seasons MDR: Never ate there so I am assuming it was just as good as Seven Seas.

Specialty Restaurants:

Moderno Churrascaria: This is very popular so if you're planning to eat there, make a reservation early on. There is a salad bar with plenty of items to fill your plate and please your palate. You are given a red and green square to alert the servers when you are ready for more. I honestly thought that the meats all tasted the same to me and some were a bit dried out, but it could have been just me. Overall, it is a neat concept for cruise ships and passengers appeared to love it.

Le Bistro: Always fantastic and one of my favorites.

East meets West: Terrific food and the clam chowder was to die for!

Il Adagio: Nice variety of Italian foods but Italian food is my favorite so I ate there twice.

This was a nice cruise and it was the perfect time to go in order to escape from the ice/snow in New York this winter. For some reason I thought that there would be a lot more children and teens on this cruise; instead there were lots, and I mean lots of old couples doing back to back cruises. Overall this was a very nice cruise, the staff was great and I really enjoyed my time on the ship.

I hope that I was able to give you some info in case you're planning on cruising in the Sun!

Thanks for the review - you didn't by chance take any pictures of your penthouse or the public areas? Both should have the new carpeting, upholstry, etc installed during drydock but no one has posted any pictures for us who have sailed her before.

This was our 25th cruise and #6 with NCL. Can't believe that it went by so fast but that's what happens.

Embarkation: Got to the pier around 12:15, there was a considerable line but it moved very quickly and in about a half hour we were on board. We were in a penthouse suite so once on board we went to Il Adagio for lunch. By the time we finished lunch(service was slow), they made an announcement that cabins were ready.

We had booked a forward penthouse on deck 9. This penthouse was a bit of a disappointment to me. For starters, in the very middle of the room there is a structural column that interferes with the flow. This cabin offers no privacy whatsoever because when you open the door and take three steps to your left is the queen size bed and two night stands. In addition, there was waayyy too much furniture in this space, a sofa bed against one of the walls, two chairs, large coffee table, and a table with four chairs. It resembled a furniture showroom but we managed to walk around all of these without breaking a toe! To the left of the room there is a door which was closed and when I opened it, there is a closet, small sitting area and a magnificent bathroom with an awsome whirlpool tub with a shower, There is an additional shower and the much needed toilet behind glass doors. There is plenty of storage for toiletries with large cabinets. I absolutely loved the bathroom and really enjoyed the whirlpool tub. Our balcony was a decent size with two lounge chairs and two small metal tables. The balcony is very private and you cannot see your neighbors, the only negative issue is that when the ship is in motion, the wind is unbelievable.

Ports of Call: We had been to all these ports before and we just booked an excursion in one of them.

Cozumel: We docked right by where the action is and I think that I was out for about an hour or so. I had never forgotten that the store employees stand right in front of the stores and try to lure you in. "Amigo, come in" was all I heard for an hour.

Guatemala: It was very humid and hot there, and we just went to the crafts market by the pier.

Belize: We booked the Snorkling and Beach Break Excursion and it was very nice. This is a very popular tour because there were about 150 people on the tour. They take you far out to a reef to snorkle for about an hour and then you end up in a place called Banister Island. The beach was nice and we stayed there for over an hour.

Key West: Very little time there with so much to do but it was nice to be back.

FOOD: This is always subjective and I'll give you a brief summary. I thought that the food at the Garden Cafe was not that great in comparison to other NCL ships. The choices are limited and the layout of that place is a horror!

Seven Seas MDR: No wait at all to be seated. Food was good and the service was great.

Four Seasons MDR: Never ate there so I am assuming it was just as good as Seven Seas.

Specialty Restaurants:

Moderno Churrascaria: This is very popular so if you're planning to eat there, make a reservation early on. There is a salad bar with plenty of items to fill your plate and please your palate. You are given a red and green square to alert the servers when you are ready for more. I honestly thought that the meats all tasted the same to me and some were a bit dried out, but it could have been just me. Overall, it is a neat concept for cruise ships and passengers appeared to love it.

Le Bistro: Always fantastic and one of my favorites.

East meets West: Terrific food and the clam chowder was to die for!

Il Adagio: Nice variety of Italian foods but Italian food is my favorite so I ate there twice.

This was a nice cruise and it was the perfect time to go in order to escape from the ice/snow in New York this winter. For some reason I thought that there would be a lot more children and teens on this cruise; instead there were lots, and I mean lots of old couples doing back to back cruises. Overall this was a very nice cruise, the staff was great and I really enjoyed my time on the ship.

I hope that I was able to give you some info in case you're planning on cruising in the Sun!

I guess you didn't try the new Barzilian steak house. We have booked the cruise for Feb 25, next year: well I am going to book it tomorrow. We intend on eating there and maybe, for the first time skipping Le Bistro.

Nita

I guess you didn't try the new Barzilian steak house. We have booked the cruise for Feb 25, next year: well I am going to book it tomorrow. We intend on eating there and maybe, for the first time skipping Le Bistro.

Nita

Yes, they ate there at Moderno, it says that they thought the meat all tasted the same and some seemed dried out. ;)

I guess you didn't try the new Barzilian steak house. ... Nita

I think you missed this paragraph of the report:

What type of cuisine does East Meets West serve? I was thinking it was an Asian Fusion type of place, but evidently not.:D

That is how is started when the ship went into the water, but was later changed to a steak house almost identical to Cagney's. We ate there only once. My daughter loved it, I didn't.

NIta

I think you missed this paragraph of the report:

it sounds just like the Brazilian steak houses we have tried in the USA> The problem, I always eat too much at the salad bar...Thanks for the advise on booking early.

Nita

Archived