To Sabbatini or not to Sabbatini - that is the question?

winncruiser

We are going on the March 6th cruise roundtrip San Juan on The Caribbean Princess and I'm trying to decide whether or not to book Sabbatini's one night, and if so, which night should we go? I have dined in The Crown Grill several times and will probably eat there one night this cruise, but we have yet to try Sabbatini's. All other evenings we eat in one of the anytime dining rooms. So please, your thoughts of Sabbatini's onboard The Caribbean Princess....Thank you!

We tried it once & enjoyed the experience, but it was too much food for us and we now stick to the Crown Grill.

Think it's definitely worth one try if you've never experienced it.

We are going on the March 6th cruise roundtrip San Juan on The Caribbean Princess and I'm trying to decide whether or not to book Sabbatini's one night, and if so, which night should we go? I have dined in The Crown Grill several times and will probably eat there one night this cruise, but we have yet to try Sabbatini's. All other evenings we eat in one of the anytime dining rooms. So please, your thoughts of Sabbatini's onboard The Caribbean Princess....Thank you!

The couple of times that we've eaten at Sabatinis has been great. Just make sure that you go very hungry. You basically pick your entree and they give a bit of everything else on the menu. If you choose to go on a formal night, you won't have to dress up!

I guess we are in the minority, but we were highly disappointed in Sabatini's and would never bother to pay the extra price to dine there. Just us, I guess.:D

I agree very disappointed would not go again to Sabatini's

I loved the Sabbatinis experience on the Dawn Princess and was absolutely disappointed in it on the Diamond Princes...the food was nice, the service was dreadful, the ambience completely missing. If I want to sit staring at a tableful of dirty glasses, used plates and half set tables loaded up with the menus etc. ready to be set for breakfast...I certainly would not be doing it on a cruise. Sabbatinis is the ONLY thing I didn't love about the Diamond..so I guess it depends on the ship, the staff and the night.

However that said I would definately try it out once on every cruise. Yes there is a lot of food but you can request a very small amount of each course so you get a little taste without being overfull.

we have done it 3 times, on the Golden and Emerald, was wonderful...last week on the Ruby was our first disappointment. We will likely give it a try again. The most frustrating thing for us this time is when we made a complaint about the food, they tried to take care of it, then later in the cruise sent us a note saying they were sure that we enjoyed our visit....um no and we had told them as much during dinner.

But yes go hungry. We try to book it the second day, as its been our experience that the dining room that night never has anything that we wouldn't want to miss. we also have been lucky to watch the sunset from our table.

I'd say try it at least once, its a different style of dining experience (like any restaurant they can have off days), and a good chance to sample different food options.

If you are not dead set on making sure you eat there, just wait till you have a chance to talk to a Maitre'D or headwaiter and ask to see the menus for the full cruise. Then pick the nite that does not appeal as much to you and book then if avail...

I loved the Sabbatinis experience on the Dawn Princess and was absolutely disappointed in it on the Diamond Princes...the food was nice, the service was dreadful, the ambience completely missing. If I want to sit staring at a tableful of dirty glasses, used plates and half set tables loaded up with the menus etc. ready to be set for breakfast...I certainly would not be doing it on a cruise. Sabbatinis is the ONLY thing I didn't love about the Diamond..so I guess it depends on the ship, the staff and the night.

However that said I would definately try it out once on every cruise. Yes there is a lot of food but you can request a very small amount of each course so you get a little taste without being overfull.

Hmmm.... Dawn Princess does not have a Sabatinis... :confused:

We have always enjoyed Sabatini's, we did however have one dinner which did not quite meet our expectations. IMO Sabatini's is better enjoyed with a group than just as a couple...the wine gets spilled and everyone has a great time.:)

Sabatinis on the CB is very nice and intimate. The room is lovely and the food was very good. On the Emerald the room seemed much bigger and brighter and this made the experience less special. If you haven't eaten there before I think it would only enhance your cruise experience.

Hi All

Have had many great meals at both the Crown Grill and Sabatinis however

have also had bad service and poor quality food, however I also made

a complaint at the time explained what was wrong what I expected and

what I thought could be done. The result has been a letter saying sorry,

an invited to dine with an officer a few days later that meal was amazing,

no charge for one meal and an invite to dine again and no charge free

wine etc as well as a visit from the MD.

Princess can not fix an issue unless they know there is an issue,

saying nothing helps no one, making a big song and dance about it like

wise, just be polite explain the issue and allow them to fix it for you.

They are very willing to fix an issue if it is real issue and some thing they fix.

They want you to have a great cruise.

yours Shogun

WE HAVE DONE sabatini"s 3 TIMES

tHE FIRST AND LAST gREAT ON gRAND AND oCEAN AND I was sick from it on Crown .There the food was super greasy and my tummy hated it That night there were very few people there ...perhaps the food sat too long ....I was REALLY sick

So No I would not go back

It's a grreat meal and experience. I know some say it is too much food. You can pass on some dishes if you want. I don't like a couple of the options, so I pass. You also don't have to eat the entire portion of the dishes. Lots of small portions, then main dish and dessert.

Visited Sabatini's on the Sapphire recently. Appetizers were very good, veal chop was terrible, tough and fatty. Waiter was substandard. Was the first time back in a few years, decided to give it another try: never again.

We've been to Sabatini's three times (Emerald, Diamond, and Ruby). Not a bad experience, but it was nothing to write home about. I doubt we'll be going there again when we sail on the Ruby in October......

Bob

For years we have only done the steakhouse as my husband didn't think he'd like Sabatini's. On our Transatlantic on the Crown, we decided to try it. We had a fabulous experience (and was disappointed with the Crown Grille which others love). Went there again with my mom and sisters on the Ruby in December, and we also had a great time.

Like a meal ANYWHERE, you can have a good or bad experience; you just never know. We had reservations early in the evening and were some of the few people in there although it got busy later. Be prepared to be there longer than in the main dining room as it is a VERY relaxed serving pace. There is a lot of food. The secret is to sample not eat everything that appears. The desserts are excellent so be sure to save room.

If you've never gone, I personally think you should go and make your own decision.

Everyone should experience Sabatini's once. After that then you can decide whether you want to go again. We love it and go once on every cruise. We love the food, the service, the total experience. We go at 6:00 and take about 4 hours. In between courses we go outside with our wine and marvel at how lucky we are.

The way I look at the specialty restaurants is the whole experience. When you are on a cruise longer than 7 days it is a nice diversion from the Dining Room or even the Buffet. For a steak or lobster experience you will not get better and for an added $20 or $25 even if the food is not up to par, it is superior to anywwhere else. On the Coral Panama we enjoyed some great southern taste treats and on other cruises the pasta and other menu items have been great. We are looking forward to doing Crown, Sabitinis andthe Chefs table again in June.

Archived